OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Larry Nance Jr: ‘Expect To See’ Improved Shooting Range This Season

Quote:
"That was just a little trial run, that’s what Summer League is. It went pretty well, I thought I shot it alright, rushed a few, but that’s definitely something you can expect to see during the season."

http://www.lakersnation.com/larry-nance-jr-expect-to-see-improved-shooting-range-this-season/2016/08/20/
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
It's going to be really interesting and exciting to see how these two play on the court together.

Will they? Assuming the Yi contract gets finalized, they will have 3 centers behind Mozgov. It doesn't look realistic.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

From a personality and play style perspective, Nance is my favorite Laker. Sometimes it clouds my view of Randle a bit. He's so likable!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
From a personality and play style perspective, Nance is my favorite Laker. Sometimes it clouds my view of Randle a bit. He's so likable!

and Larry has an underrated edge to him. He can be feisty on the court. combined with him being the best teammate, and just completely admirably humble
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

and Larry has an underrated edge to him. He can be feisty on the court. combined with him being the best teammate, and just completely admirably humble

He's a true underdog, and it's natural to root for a guy like that to exceed expectations. Like anyone, I've had thoughts [worries] about the Lakers eventually caving and trading their young talent for a superstar if they lose patience with the rebuild - I hope we find a way to keep Nance through something like that. Every team needs a Nance!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Yea I notice that too. He has a mean streak without being a dick. Laker fans will love him.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Yea I notice that too. He has a mean streak without being (bleep). Laker fans will love him.

It's incredible how much he's changed fans' perception of him after the Kobe tweet while DLO is still struggling with the Nick Young incident (I'm a DLO supporter but still). Go back through the early pages of this thread, people wanted Larry GONE
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

It's incredible how much he's changed fans' perception of him after the Kobe tweet while DLO is still struggling with the Nick Young incident (I'm a DLO supporter but still). Go back through the early pages of this thread, people wanted Larry GONE

I was just thinking that. It's amazing the 180 Lakers fans have done on Larry. The first pages of this thread are so entertaining in hindsight.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

Larry Nance, Jr. should continue improving under Luke Walton

Quote:
Larry Nance, Jr. has impressed Lakers fans every step of the way, but he'll need to continue building on what he's done to take the next step in his career.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/8/25/12642604/la-lakers-rank-analysis-larry-nance-jr
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:

Why would it cloud you view of Don Julio? They're on the same team. You can like both! lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Why would it cloud you view of Don Julio? They're on the same team. You can like both! lol

Ha! I do like both. But sometimes I kind of catch myself pulling for Nance (who is probably a super role player) to strip that starting spot just because he's such an easy player to like & root for.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I was just thinking that. It's amazing the 180 Lakers fans have done on Larry. The first pages of this thread are so entertaining in hindsight.

He handled it with such maturity and class, from personally calling Kobe to apologize and referring to him as "Mr. Bryant" , to owning up to it in the press. He put himself out there and the people were able to see he was a different person when he made that tweet. Personally I've never really connected with DLo's hipster, goofy, happy-go-lucky personality, but this isn't the place to discuss that. Larry and Zublocka are my favorite Lakers at the moment.

I hope Larry is a Laker for life. I could see him making a huge defensive stop in a Finals game for us, or grabbing a key rebound or diving out of bounds for a game-saving loose ball.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
22 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Ha! I do like both. But sometimes I kind of catch myself pulling for Nance (who is probably a super role player) to strip that starting spot just because he's such an easy player to like & root for.

I get what you mean. He's supportable in a different way than DLO. DLO has a smugness about him, Nance shows greater humility. We like the smugness, but we like the humble guy too for different reasons.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
22 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

I get what you mean. He's supportable in a different way than DLO. DLO has a smugness about him, Nance shows greater humility. We like the smugness, but we like the humble guy too for different reasons.

Nance gets "it".
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Nance's rating is up this year in 2K https://www.instagram.com/p/BJlORw3gWxe/
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
22 wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

Ah ok, gotcha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised if Nance/Randle ended up splitting the PF minutes at 60/40 (Jules at about 28mpg, Nance at 20mpg + 5 mpg at small ball center).
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Nance/Randle ended up splitting the PF minutes at 60/40 (Jules at about 28mpg, Nance at 20mpg + 5 mpg at small ball center).

Idk why but I'm the only one who doesn't think the talent gap between the two is that significant. Larry looked really good in that point-forward role this summer and still had enough left in the tank to play with energy and intensity on defense. He makes things happen out there defensively and I think he deserves at least 30 mpg.

seriously, as a coach you want that guy on the court as many minutes as he can handle. Heck I'd play him 48 minutes if I could.

It's going to be interesting to see what Luke does
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject:

Has anyone got Nance's quote where he generously diss Byron Scott ? I've read it somewhere in here but I can't find it now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Idk why but I'm the only one who doesn't think the talent gap between the two is that significant. Larry looked really good in that point-forward role this summer and still had enough left in the tank to play with energy and intensity on defense. He makes things happen out there defensively and I think he deserves at least 30 mpg.

seriously, as a coach you want that guy on the court as many minutes as he can handle. Heck I'd play him 48 minutes if I could.

I think he does what Luke wants better than Randle does right now. Then again, Nance is also a few years older.

Was listening to Real GM with Danny Leroux, Kevin Pelton, Ben Golliver, they all hate Randle. I get it, part of it just anti-Lakers, but they all to a tee wanted Nance to start over Randle. Just their opinion.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Has anyone got Nance's quote where he generously diss Byron Scott ? I've read it somewhere in here but I can't find it now.

somebody just put it in the dlo thread I think....hol up

edit: fount it
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Practice wrote:

Nance has been doing the same thing.

Nance wasn't even subtle either. His quotes were hilarious.

What did Nance say?

Questioned workplace w/ Byron in the interview he did with Alex Kennedy of Basketball Insiders:

Quote:
"The way I put it is imagine going to work, imagine going to your cubicle and it's just a toxic work environment. There are guys around you that you don't necessarily see eye-to-eye with. Your boss is kind of demanding, it's just a drag going to work every day,” said Nance, Jr., describing an undesirable work environment. “Less gets done, you aren't as productive, there's kind of a bad attitude around.

“Then you go to an environment where the boss is flexible, you've got guys around you that you can talk and mess around with, you go to dinner after work and stuff like that, and it's makes time fly. It makes you really not dread going to work as much,” Nance, Jr. continued. “Granted it's a little different because we're in the NBA, but at least this summer I've really enjoyed going to the gym and seeing the faces and people that are with us now. That's kind of the culture change that's going on.”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/8/2/12365730/la-lakers-free-agency-coaching-larry-nance-jr-luke-walton-luol-deng-podcast
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think he does what Luke wants better than Randle does right now. Then again, Nance is also a few years older.

Was listening to Real GM with Danny Leroux, Kevin Pelton, Ben Golliver, they all hate Randle. I get it, part of it just anti-Lakers, but they all to a tee wanted Nance to start over Randle. Just their opinion.

I'd like to hear that discussion. I don't hate Randle but I don't think he should be starting over nance that brings( and will always bring) more to the table. I like he idea of Ingram and nance playing next to each other because of the versatility they bring on both sides of the ball. I actually wouldn't be opposed to

Russell
Clarkson
Ingram
Nance
Randle

Where Randle plays the 5. That would be a fun lineup IMO
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I've said it elsewhere, but Randle in terms of on/off-based stats isn't much better than Okafor. I'm not surprised numbers guys all hate Randle in the same way many of us LGers have criticized Oak.

The flip side is the numbers don't take the context of how poorly Randle has been coached and the strides he can make. (The same is true of Okafor, of course.) So the question becomes how likely they are to improve at the little things they are bad at.

FWIW, Randle's strong rebounding gives him a niche all of its own. Bass was our best center, but he's a poor rebounder. Putting in Randle actually solves that problem. Believe it or not, Clarkson/ Russell/ Kobe/ Randle/ Bass was a +21 lineup in 85 minutes! Not a huge sample size but impressive for our abysmal team.

That said, Nance is still the better player, and IMO it's not really as close as people would like to think. Randle would need to improve a lot, on both ends, to catch up. Luckily, it's actually possible now that he has an actual coaching staff.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

I was very enthusiastic about draft Jules (was hoping for him or Marcus Smart). But the penultimate question for me is if he sees himself as a primary go-to scorer (which I don't think he is) or whether he will sublimate his game to do dirty work and also be a versatile big man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Another second-year Lakers player that should thrive under the guidance of Luke Walton is Larry Nance Jr. The versatile big man was a late first-round pick last June and entered the league without much fanfare besides for being the son of former Cleveland Cavaliers high flying dunker Larry Nance. But Nance Jr. quickly established a role for himself on the Lakers with his workman-like game and aerial assaults on the rim.

Every team needs a rugged player that will do the dirty work, like rebounding and playing strong defense and Nance Jr. fills that role on the Lakers. In his rookie season, he averaged 5.5 points and 5.0 rebounds in 20 minutes a game. He even started 22 games. And while Nance Jr. won't be a starter, he is an excellent energy role player off the bench for L.A. and should continue to do so in his second season, albeit in perhaps a more expanded role with more minutes since the Lakers don't have that many quality bigs off the bench.

Nance Jr.'s leap next season perhaps won't be as noticeable as some of the bigger names, yet expect him to be a reliable player for the Lakers, and that reliability will be a key part of his development as a player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/russell-booker-headline-list-of-nba-sophomores-primed-for-breakout-season/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 116 of 221
Jump to: