Luke Walton Discusses Outlook on the Team and a Successful Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Really looking forward to the season. It's been a while since I've consistently had fun watching the Lakers.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I like Luke head and shoulders above Bill Walton;

Seriously, good interview...

For us fans it'll be a tough season but if the rook's get better we
will get to the winning part sooner than later.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Nice interview.

Some of the posts in this thread are a great reminder that you can find a negative in any situation if you try hard enough.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Luke to me was the one major positive move this team has made in a long time.
Very confident he will install the right mindset and environment for the team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Wonder what the sentiment on Luke will be if the team starts 5-15? I think that is a pretty good possibility. Basically how soon before the honeymoon is over?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Funniest part of the interview, 'Luke you were always a winner, except for that year and a half with Cleveland. But we won't blame you for that'.

Guess who the coach was.....
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Funniest part of the interview, 'Luke you were always a winner, except for that year and a half with Cleveland. But we won't blame you for that'.

Guess who the coach was.....

Luke can also connect with the young guys because he knows what it's like to play under Byron

Another weird thought: when TWC hired two new analysts two years ago, I bet they had no idea they were hiring the next two Laker head coaches in Byron and Luke. These past few years have been so strange
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Wonder what the sentiment on Luke will be if the team starts 5-15? I think that is a pretty good possibility. Basically how soon before the honeymoon is over?

Like he said, if the team is playing the right way then a 5-15 is something the FO and the coach can chew on. No one knows how the team will do until we see some flashes in TC, and if they are struggling running Lukes offense then maybe we can talk about the season being a lost cause, but these guys love Luke and are gonna make sure Lukes 1st year is a good ride.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

If they are playing the right way then why should the honeymoon be over. We are not a veteran team banking on the playoffs so expectations should not be so high that people need to levy criticism at him. We have a core group of players who are still trying to find themselves basketball wise. It's about patience.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

If they are playing the right way then why should the honeymoon be over. We are not a veteran team banking on the playoffs so expectations should not be so high that people need to levy criticism at him. We have a core group of players who are still trying to find themselves basketball wise. It's about patience.

I think it would be a lot of noise around here. 5-15 is a 20 win pace. A lot of people on here are expecting 30+ wins
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I think it would be a lot of noise around here. 5-15 is a 20 win pace. A lot of people on here are expecting 30+ wins

In grand scheme of things, we have no idea what goal the FO and Luke and the staff has layed out, they aren't a bunch of theorists... They probably are gonna evaluate the team during pre season and see if they find something they can build on during the regular season.

It's the fans and the wild media hacks that try to act like they know what the team is gonna do.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Of course the pessimist crew will bring up ESPN and how they got the last few predictions right on the Lakers, but eventually they are gonna be proven wrong.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

I expect a better record over the last 20 games than the first 20. Will have developed over the season and will have our share of teams tanking on the schedule.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

That is a 27 win pace or have I missed something?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The season doesn't end after 20 games so.. Anyway this is all assumptions and scenarios that might or might not happen. People don't even know how we got to this 5-15 record. Are the young guys not what we thought? Or are we not running a good offense and defense? It's pointless to just throw up a record without any reason why we have the record and just say that Luke has to deal with criticism.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

You missed something
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Luke to me was the one major positive move this team has made in a long time.
Very confident he will install the right mindset and environment for the team.

I expect a natural individual growth from our youngsters... and that to be magnified under Luke's system. Exciting times ahead.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

The season doesn't end after 20 games so.. Anyway this is all assumptions and scenarios that might or might not happen. People don't even know how we got to this 5-15 record. Are the young guys not what we thought? Or are we not running a good offense and defense? It's pointless to just throw up a record without any reason why we have the record and just say that Luke has to deal with criticism.

Raw facts are insufficient in telling a story. They always have to be contextualized. 5-15 tells us nothing about how/why they're 5-15. The criticism Byron received wasn't because they were losing. It was about the way they were losing. 5-15 is fine if the team is showing consistent progression. I think the fan base as a whole realizes that. This whole 'Let's see if you guys still love Luke when the team is 10-25' stuff is so irritating.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

I would have to agree that it does matter quite a bit how the Lakers reached that hypothetical 5-15 start. Or a projected 21 win season.

IMO the roster is deeper and more versatile. They should be better. We can discuss the strengths and weaknesses, coaching or potential all day long (and some of us do ) but in the end will they win games.

Can they find the player or players to make those critical plays down the stretch that most NBA games come down to. The good teams find a way to win, the bad teams a way to lose. Which will the Lakers be this season.

My ongoing question is does that result in wins or less 20 point losses?

IMO I can be somewhat happy if the Lakers are 5-15 but have proven they can be competitive and hard fought close losses. That is a move in the right direction from the recent debacles that have been over by halftime we saw all too often the past couple years. I never want to see another sickening 30+ point loss again!

I really like the Walton hire and the coaches he has brought in. They seem the right mix of developmental and communicators for this roster. I have been impressed by his demeanor in interviews and the comments from players about him.

My optimism for the season has much to do with Walton and the roster chemistry. Improvement is expected, just uncertain if it turns into wins this season.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Yup. I did. Amazing what sleep does for the brain
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

It will be key for Luke to maintain consistency with his message through the rough patches and there are going to be some.

I thought the last few years the team quit pretty noticeably from an effort perspective, pretty embarrassing actually.

Hopefully Luke can get them to play harder on a consistent basis even when they are in a losing streak so it doesn't get systematically ingrained in them that losing is OK.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Nice interview.

Some of the posts in this thread are a great reminder that you can find a negative in any situation if you try hard enough.

LOL, yeah, the cup is NOT 99% full of $500/bottle wine, it's 1% empty of gutter crap!
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
I see a lot of Phil Jackson and George Mumford rubbing off on him, which isn't a surprise since Phil Jackson employed Mumford to work with the Bulls and Lakers. Mumford, who emphasized mindfulness and meditation, would tell Kobe or Jordan the best way to drop 50 is to not worry about dropping 50. Similarly, the trick to winning for the Lakers next season is to keep the expectations in perspective. The expectation isn't to win, but to play the game the right way, which is by playing mindfully, moving the ball, building cohesiveness and unity, etc. The result of all the above actions is... wins. It's a little foolish to worry about wins at this point, but it's just a matter of time before they start clicking. It could be as early as next season.

good points. I would say worrying about winning has never won a game. That has helped some great players choke under pressure. What does help is worrying about playing the right way on offense and defense. If you can play the right way on both ends of the court. You will win a lot of games. This does not mean you will win a ring. That's based on health and top tier talent on both finals teams along with playing the right way.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

The full interview is up!

Connected With... Luke Walton
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

5 out of 15 (5-10) would be a 27 win pace, but 5 out of 20 (5-15) is 20-21 win pace.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: