Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
I don't even think the vehicle he's using is wrong. It's that his message is skewed by placing blame on the country's principles for the actions of a few bad cops.

No, he's placing blame on a system and culture that spawns and protects and enables those cops, and instead demonized the victims or those who speak on their behalf. These aren't isolated events or separate from police culture in general or the acquiescence of the public. The criminal justice system has and continues to brutalize and profile people of color, and the flag waving masses egg them on at worst, and simply ignores it or denies it at best.

So he's blaming America for the actions of a few bad individuals.

Still not getting it. It's not a few bad individuals. It's systemic.

It is a few bad individuals. There is no policy to kill black men.

Get real. You take being obtuse to embarrassing levels. There is a systemic attitude in law enforcement that has treated minorities as the enemy for decades and is still a problem. This is why black people are stopped, arrested and incarcerated disproportionally than whites. The judicial system is stacked against minorities as well. Stanford rapist Brock Turner gets out of jail on Friday after serving only 3 months. Do you think a black male who was not a student at the university would have gotten such a light sentence for the exact same act? Of course not.

Ignoring the vast differences between how our legal system deals with minorities and white people is asinine.

Quote:
And there had still been no link to how it relates to the flag or anthem. Basically, how it is the fault of the nation itself. That this nation is so evil that it somehow the cause of these incidents.

I will agree with you that CK's attack on the entire nation itself is misdirected. But it doesn't mean his message is incorrect, and the nation stands for his right to sit.

I'll give you that there is bias in many people. Too many people. Even if they aren't "racists", they may still harbor inherent biases.

My response was short and didn't express that. I was being lazy.

My problem with what Colin is doing isn't that he's taking a stand. I just think he's placing the blame in the wrong place, and will end up doing more harm than good. It causes more divisiveness because he appears to be attacking the nation itself, and the principles of liberty and implying that those values are racist.

That may not be his intent, but his chosen venue gives that impression.

I also take issue with his blanket statement of cops.

With that said, I think he should be able to sit all he wants. It just think it's a dumb way to get his point across.

You don't win people to your point of view by lumping the innocent with the guilty.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
I don't even think the vehicle he's using is wrong. It's that his message is skewed by placing blame on the country's principles for the actions of a few bad cops.

No, he's placing blame on a system and culture that spawns and protects and enables those cops, and instead demonized the victims or those who speak on their behalf. These aren't isolated events or separate from police culture in general or the acquiescence of the public. The criminal justice system has and continues to brutalize and profile people of color, and the flag waving masses egg them on at worst, and simply ignores it or denies it at best.

Get real. You take being obtuse to embarrassing levels. There is a systemic attitude in law enforcement that has treated minorities as the enemy for decades and is still a problem. This is why black people are stopped, arrested and incarcerated disproportionally than whites. The judicial system is stacked against minorities as well. Stanford rapist Brock Turner gets out of jail on Friday after serving only 3 months. Do you think a black male who was not a student at the university would have gotten such a light sentence for the exact same act? Of course not.

Ignoring the vast differences between how our legal system deals with minorities and white people is asinine.

Quote:
And there had still been no link to how it relates to the flag or anthem. Basically, how it is the fault of the nation itself. That this nation is so evil that it somehow the cause of these incidents.

I will agree with you that CK's attack on the entire nation itself is misdirected. But it doesn't mean his message is incorrect, and the nation stands for his right to sit.

I'll give you that there is bias in many people. Too many people. Even if they aren't "racists", they may still harbor inherent biases.

My problem with what Colin is doing isn't that he's taking a stand. I just think he's placing the blame in the wrong place, and will end up doing more harm than good. It causes more divisiveness because he appears to be attacking the nation itself, and the principles of liberty and implying that those values are racist.

With that said, I think he should be able to sit all he wants. It just think it's a dumb way to get his point across.

You don't win people to your point of view by lumping the innocent with the guilty.

You can take issue with it all you wish, but the fact remains that there has been racism and racial bias at an institutional level in law enforcement for as long as their have been city police departments. It's better than it was, but the manifestation of that history is still evident in the way police officers deal with black citizens.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Quote:

You can take issue with it all you wish, but the fact remains that there has been racism and racial bias at an institutional level in law enforcement for as long as their have been city police departments. It's better than it was, but the manifestation of that history is still evident in the way police officers deal with black citizens.

So blame all police?

Blame the United States?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

^^^^ Blame people glossing over the message and vilifying the messenger.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Quote:

So blame all police?

Blame the United States?

Barack's fault obviously for allowing this to happen under his watch.

#ridic
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
So blame all police?

The problem is that while not all cops are actually bad, the fraternity of law enforcement has been horrible at holding the bad ones accountable, typically enabling them rather than weeding them out. Traditionally, good cops who tried to get bad cops to be held accountable were ostracized and punished, creating a cycle of silence. Law enforcement has a lousy history of policing itself. So yes, "the police" is going to get the blame for not being transparent to diligent about improving their ranks. Which maybe unfair to the individual cop who is trying to do the right thing, but it is not unfair to the institution as a whole.

Quote:
Blame the United States?

I've already stated that I agree on this aspect. The country itself has come a long way in regards to civil rights, even if there is still work to do in regards to some civil institutions. The nation's ideals are what make the country great and those ideals are the reason CK is free to stand or not stand.

But again, I support CK's right to make his protest in the fashion he wishes, even if I disagree with aspects of how he has decided to do so and see some hypocrisy in his words. That right comes from the very flag and spirit he chooses to dismiss.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

What's the message? That America is to blame and police are bad? And that every incident of police being found not guilty is due to racism regardless of the evidence? Blanket judgements must be made?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What's the message? That America is to blame and police are bad? And that every incident of police being found not guilty is due to racism regardless of the evidence? Blanket judgements must be made?

If you don't understand the message you're a part of the problem.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

When will you understand that the vehicle is a PART of the message?

The vehicle is a part of the message in the same way that how you say something is a part of what you're saying.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Very douchey move. For those praising him, just a product of the typical mainstream media leftist thought.

I'm not saying make it against the law to not stand for the anthem, it's just a very douchey and entitled thing to do.

A guy making millions throwing a football (and being crappy at it anyway) is being opressed? Okay buddy. You're the last person to complain.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Very douchey move. For those praising him, just a product of the typical mainstream media leftist thought.

I'm not saying make it against the law to not stand for the anthem, it's just a very douchey and entitled thing to do.

A guy making millions throwing a football (and being crappy at it anyway) is being opressed? Okay buddy. You're the last person to complain.

THIS!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The vehicle is a part of the message in the same way that how you say something is a part of what you're saying.

I've denounced the vehicle. The message is being glossed over. Do you know what it is or are you just focusing on the vehicle and the messenger?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:

Did you read the links of veterans praising him? They're not the typical mainstream media leftist thought.

frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

Did you read the links of veterans praising him? They're not the typical mainstream media leftist thought.

so what? Are they the overwhelming majority? Doesn't make it any less douchey. Colin doesn't even know what the (bleep) he's talking about anyway.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Like the vehicle the drove Freddy Gray in?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

so what? Are they the overwhelming majority? Doesn't make it any less douchey. Colin doesn't even know what the (bleep) he's talking about anyway.

You think our soldiers and veterans are happy with this country?

One man is doing a lot by not accepting the status quo

Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King were pretty douchey too eh?
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

He didn't even mention the veterans. He was just spewing out (bleep) about minorities being discriminated.

And don't even compare Colin to Rosa and MLK alright?. They're rolling in their graves with that (bleep) statement. They faced some REAL racism. Not just someone telling a black joke.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

So What relating to veterans who served in the war, put their lives on the line you say, SO WHAT? You're as bad as or worst than the person you're railing. He at least acknowledged the veteran contribution. SMH

Are you the overwhelming majority? Have you served in any war, put your life on the line for country?
If not you don't have the right to question or downplay their position.

Colin knows exactly what he's talking about. You don't get it.

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I understand the message well. I'm trying to see if you do beyond your little sound bites.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

delete

Last edited by governator on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

He didn't even mention the veterans. He was just spewing out (bleep) about minorities being discriminated.

And don't even compare Colin to Rosa and MLK alright?. They're rolling in their graves with that (bleep) statement. They faced some REAL racism. Not just someone telling a black joke.

delete

This thread is getting too heated

Last edited by governator on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Oh man, let's come back to reality. CK hasn't "done a lot". All he has done is stirred up some controversy. But nothing has has said or done has actually done anything. Sure, he has pointed to the issue of racial inequity as the reason he sat during the anthem, but it's not like he drew any attention to something that wasn't already prominently on the table.

Just as ridiculous as all the heat he is taking for sitting is all of this sudden thrusting of CK as some champion of oppression. So please knock off the Rosa Park and MLK comparisons for (bleeps) sake.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

https://www.thenation.com/article/america-needs-to-listen-to-what-colin-kaepernick-is-actually-trying-to-say/

Quote:
America Needs to Listen to What Colin Kaepernick Is Actually Trying to Say

Too many people are talking about patriotism and etiquette instead of reckoning with the substance of his critique.

There has been a lot of analysis—both thoughtful and noxious—of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s decision to sit down during the national anthem in the past few days. Unfortunately, there has been less conversation about the politics behind his action.

Instead of reckoning with the substance of his critique, much of the media coverage has fostered an abstract discussion about patriotism and etiquette—centering the question of whether he has the “right” to protest rather than examining what it is he’s trying to say.

. . .

In the presser, Kaepernick said:

Kaepernick wrote:
These aren’t new situations. This isn’t new ground. There are things that have gone on in this country for years and years and have never been addressed, and they need to be. There’s a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality. There’s people being murdered unjustly and not being held accountable. People are being given paid leave for killing people. That’s not right. That’s not right by anyone’s standards.

When asked if he would continue to sit during the anthem, he answered,

Kaepernick wrote:
Yes. I’ll continue to sit. I’m going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me, this is something that has to change. When there’s significant change and I feel like that flag represents what it’s supposed to represent, this country is representing people the way that it’s supposed to, I’ll stand.

He was immediately asked if this stance meant he was anti-military, and he responded:

Kaepernick wrote:
I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That’s not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn’t holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That’s something that’s not happening. I’ve seen videos, I’ve seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they have fought for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That’s not right.

One of the more outrageous–and offensive—arguments from the sports commentariat is that because Kaepernick is biracial and was raised by white parents in a middle-class suburb, he could not understand “oppression.” This charge has been almost uniformly made by white, right-wing sportswriters. Kaepernick was asked if he “personally” felt oppressed, and he said:

Kaepernick wrote:
There have been situations where I feel like I’ve been ill-treated, yes. This stand wasn’t for me. This stand wasn’t because I feel like I’m being put down in any kind of way. This is because I’m seeing things happen to people that don’t have a voice, people that don’t have a platform to talk and have their voices heard, and affect change. So I’m in the position where I can do that, and I’m going to do that for people that can’t.

This isn’t for looks. This isn’t for publicity or anything like that. This is for people that don’t have the voice. And this is for people that are being oppressed and need to have equal opportunities to be successful, to provide for families and not live in poor circumstances.

Kaepernick also told his own story of being black in the United States:

Kaepernick wrote:
I’ve had times where one of my roommates was moving out of the house in college, and because we were the only black people in that neighborhood, the cops got called and we had guns drawn on us. Came in the house, without knocking, guns drawn on my teammates and roommates. So I have experienced this. People close to me have experienced this. This isn’t something that’s a one-off case here or a one-off case there. This has become habitual. This has become a habit. So this is something that needs to be addressed.

Another argument some have made is that, while Kaepernick’s message is fine, his actions are not. That not standing for the flag is the “wrong way” to do things. Again, he had a thought-out response:
Kaepernick wrote:
I don’t understand how it’s the wrong way. To me, this is a freedom that we’re allowed in this country. And going back to the military, it’s a freedom that men and women that have fought for this country have given me this opportunity by contributions they have made. So I don’t see it as going about it the wrong way. This is something that has to be said, it has to be brought to the forefront of everyone’s attention, and when that’s done, I think people can realize what the situation is and then really [e]ffect change.… And the fact that it has blown up like this, I think it’s a good thing. It brings awareness. Everybody knows what’s going on and this sheds more light on it. Now I think people are really talking about it, having conversations about how to make change. What’s really going on in this country. And we can move forward.

Kaepernick was asked about concern that he would be seen as indicting all police and again, in a focused manner, brought it back to a political argument about how broken our system of policing has become. “There is police brutality,” he said.
Kaepernick wrote:
People of color have been targeted by police. So that’s a large part of it and they’re government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that’s something that this country has to change. There’s things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher. You have people that practice law and are lawyers and go to school for eight years, but you can become a cop in six months and don’t have to have the same amount of training as a cosmetologist. That’s insane. Someone that’s holding a curling iron has more education and more training than people that have a gun and are going out on the street to protect us.

He was asked whether this was because it was an election year, which is its own statement about how we view politics in this country: something to practice for a few months every four years.
Kaepernick wrote:
It wasn’t a timing thing, it wasn’t something that was planned, but I think the two presidential candidates that we currently have also represent the issues that we have in this country right now. You have Hillary [Clinton], who has called black teens or black kids super predators. You have Donald Trump, who is openly racist. We have a presidential candidate (Clinton) who has deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn’t make sense to me. If that was any other person, you’d be in prison. So what is this country really standing for?

Lastly, Kaepernick was asked whether he was concerned about getting cut and said, “I don’t know. But if I do, I know I did what’s right. And I can live with that at the end of the day.”

It is inspiring to see an athlete who cares more about the world than their own ambitions. And it is stunning that so many people are saying that an NFL player this thoughtful and selfless is somehow a “bad” role model, in a league so rife with scandal from the owner’s box to the locker room.

It is also pathetic that so many in the sports media, who a few months ago were praising the legacy of Muhammad Ali, are coming down so ferociously on Colin Kaepernick. As if sports and politics can mix only in the past tense, and racism is something that can only be discussed as a historical question. People can choose to agree or disagree with Kaepernick’s analysis or arguments, but they should deal with the reality of the facts he’s risking his career to bring into light.

LINK

Last edited by Wolverine on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I understand the message well. I'm trying to see if you do beyond your little sound bites.

Yes I do. I can read. I also can comprehend by listening not only to what I want to hear but to what's being said. link

Wolverine's post says it all. This part is what I'm seeing a lot of.
Quote:
Too many people are talking about patriotism and etiquette instead of reckoning with the substance of his critique.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The Nation. Ok.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 10 of 26
Jump to: