Jamal Crawford reportedly faced death threats over losses while gambling with Michael Jordan

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Jamal Crawford reportedly faced death threats over losses while gambling with Michael Jordan

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/24/jamal-crawford-reportedly-faced-death-threats-over-losses-while-gambling-with-michael-jordan/

Quote:
Jamal Crawford reportedly faced death threats over losses while gambling with Michael Jordan

Michael Jordan helped propel Jamal Crawford‘s NBA career – one that has already lasted 16 seasons and resulted in more than $120 million in earnings and three Sixth Man of the Year awards.

Jordan also fostered an environment where Crawford could’ve derailed it.

Crawford was drafted for the Bulls in 2000, when Jordan was contemplating a comeback he’d eventually make with the Wizards. In preparation, Jordan frequently invited Crawford to play pickup basketball with him.

Mike Wise of The Undefeated:

“In between Crawford’s first and second year in the league, after the pickup games at Hoops the Gym, many of Jordan’s friends and associates would go next door to his contemporary American restaurant, One Sixtyblue. After hours, games of chance were set up – Vegas-style card tables, a separate corner for shooting dice.

Two participants, on condition of anonymity, recounted one particular night when Jordan and Antoine Walker were among the card players and Crawford and Ray Allen were among the players shooting dice.”

“Over what is believed to be a two-day span, he said, he lost in the neighborhood of $100,000. A person with intimate knowledge of the game claims Crawford lost several hundred thousand and Allen lost even more. And that, days after the dice game, a call was placed to Goodwin, Crawford’s agent, to inform him that Crawford had not yet squared his debt with one professional gambler.

“OK,” Goodwin said, according to the person with intimate knowledge of the game. “What does he owe? Jamal is good for it.”

“No, you don’t understand,” the go-between said. “If he doesn’t pay now, these guys will kill Jamal.”

“Kill Jamal?!! He’s an NBA player. He gets paid as soon as the season starts. Give me the dude’s number.”

The person with knowledge of the game said Goodwin called the man Crawford owed money, set up a payment plan and resolved the issue without incident.

Crawford swore he didn’t lose that kind of money, and said he never heard the story about his life being threatened. But he doesn’t deny he got in way over his head, which led to a particularly humiliating moment.”

The life of an NBA player remains more wild than we’ll ever know.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Jordan is willing to bet on anything, and his ego is so big, he's even backed himself to beat a professional golfer at golf (i think he lost a million on that).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Not surprised by the OP's story.
Reminded me of this conspiracy article I read a while back

Quote:
While Jordan’s first retirement lasted only 18 months, most assumed that his absence from the game was simply due to the grief associated with his father’s death. However, it was Jordan’s well-documented thirst for competition off the court – in the form of gambling – that left some to wonder if he and the NBA had successfully and secretly suspended the superstar without having to say as much. Was his sabbatical a way to punish Jordan without damaging his “brand” which was valued at $10 billion USD, and save the reputation for a league that had become reliant on his coattails as previous stars like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson reached the end of their careers?

Jordan’s gambling was becoming a problem. According to CBS Sports, “[after the] Chicago Bulls won their second NBA Championship in a row, he was called to testify in the criminal trial of James ‘Slim’ Bouler and asked to explain why Bouler – a convicted cocaine dealer – was in possession of a Jordan-signed personal check for $57,000. The NBA superstar first claimed it was a business loan, but while being questioned under oath he changed his tune, admitting that it was actually payment on gambling and poker losses over a single weekend.”

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/02/19/michael-jordan-retirement-conspiracy/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Not surprised by the OP's story.
Reminded me of this conspiracy article I read a while back

Quote:
While Jordan’s first retirement lasted only 18 months, most assumed that his absence from the game was simply due to the grief associated with his father’s death. However, it was Jordan’s well-documented thirst for competition off the court – in the form of gambling – that left some to wonder if he and the NBA had successfully and secretly suspended the superstar without having to say as much. Was his sabbatical a way to punish Jordan without damaging his “brand” which was valued at $10 billion USD, and save the reputation for a league that had become reliant on his coattails as previous stars like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson reached the end of their careers?

Jordan’s gambling was becoming a problem. According to CBS Sports, “[after the] Chicago Bulls won their second NBA Championship in a row, he was called to testify in the criminal trial of James ‘Slim’ Bouler and asked to explain why Bouler – a convicted cocaine dealer – was in possession of a Jordan-signed personal check for $57,000. The NBA superstar first claimed it was a business loan, but while being questioned under oath he changed his tune, admitting that it was actually payment on gambling and poker losses over a single weekend.”

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/02/19/michael-jordan-retirement-conspiracy/

I have always believed this was the real story about Jordan's "retirement" between watching "This Magic Moment" and "Clutch City" these past couple of weeks even more so.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: