Coach Luke Walton didn't expect Ingram and Zubac to be developing "this fast"!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

So, about Brandon Ingram....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

So, in the abstract--and not addressing any particular situation--since "should of," "shoulda," etc. are commonly used in conversation in place of "should have," we should not correct others when they make this mistake. I can agree with that. It was kind of my point all along.

JMK said it well. I wouldn't complain about "shoulda" (I've used it myself), but "should of" isn't actually ever used in speech. It's just an incorrect transcription of "should've," hence the correction.

You're just dealing with people whose primary linguistic input is aural, not written. So should've sounds like should of, you're sounds like your, their and they're sound like there, too sounds like to, and lose doesn't look like it sounds so they use loose. Dominant sounds close to dominate when spoken, so you see that a lot too, along with bias instead of biased. Millenials as a group aren't much for reading.

The last sentence was uncalled for.

Why? It's true. Their generation is much different in interacting with language in both style and form. They read less books than my generation. It wasn't a shot, it was an explanation of why the above errors get made, because they sound right.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Ingram was on Rim Jome show yesterday: http://jimrome.com/2016/09/09/brandon-ingram-talks-dangelo-russell-kd-and-more-on-the-jim-rome-show/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Ingram was on Rim Jome show yesterday: http://jimrome.com/2016/09/09/brandon-ingram-talks-dangelo-russell-kd-and-more-on-the-jim-rome-show/

Epic
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

So, in the abstract--and not addressing any particular situation--since "should of," "shoulda," etc. are commonly used in conversation in place of "should have," we should not correct others when they make this mistake. I can agree with that. It was kind of my point all along.

JMK said it well. I wouldn't complain about "shoulda" (I've used it myself), but "should of" isn't actually ever used in speech. It's just an incorrect transcription of "should've," hence the correction.

You're just dealing with people whose primary linguistic input is aural, not written. So should've sounds like should of, you're sounds like your, their and they're sound like there, too sounds like to, and lose doesn't look like it sounds so they use loose. Dominant sounds close to dominate when spoken, so you see that a lot too, along with bias instead of biased. Millenials as a group aren't much for reading.

Interesting point! You're probably right here, just based on what I know of my peers. I would add that a lot of what they do read are online posts (blogs, forums, reddit, social media), many of which likewise use the same ungrammatical language. Never thought of it that way.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Anyways, cool link. Poor Ingram was probably getting annoyed at Rome's insistence on asking diet questions. Is it that hard to fathom how force feeding might be sickening?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: