[espn] When did everything fall apart? [no mention of veto, yet very heated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

ESPN should name named Anti-Laker network.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I was swept up with just how dominant Dwight used to look, not knowing how weak he was mentally. I don't think Phil Jax would change the Kobe/Dwight dynamic and he would have left anyways.

Phil would have skewered Dwight like he did to Ho Grant and even Kobe early on. Howard would have hated Phil's guts.

Agreed. I kind of chuckle a bit at some who claim Phil Jax would have saved Dwight (let alone got him to work with Kobe). I think quite the opposite.

Dwight's few comments about all of it seemed to suggest that he thought that Phil would have got Kobe under control and they would have played a style that was more suitable to Dwight instead. It's an absolutely foolish thought.

What's more headscratching is that so many of the people I talk to who blame the MDA hire for Dwight leaving didn't want Dwight to stay anyway.

Dwight respected Phil. How did Phil use Shaq, Pau, even Cartwright? very effectively. Not that Dwight can match Shaq and Pau offensively, but he would've worked his butt off for Phil. To think having Phil as coach of that team would have made no difference is laughable.

Dwight loved posting up and scoring inside.....and MDA hated that stuff - enough said.

Well Dwight is poor at posting up and scoring inside, and even Phil said he would only give him enough touches to keep him interested defensively. You said it yourself, Dwight was nowhere close to Shaq and Pau offensively, not even in the same zip code. He would never had been a featured part of the offense no matter who the coach was. And MDA didn't hate scoring from the post, he hated wasting time dumping the ball to a big man who then took 8-10 seconds trying to establish position and shoot the ball. As he should, that is prehistoric basketball.

I think Phil wouldve gotten the most out of Dwight. And Dwight wouldn't have complained. And 2010-2011 Laker basketball is prehistoric? Exaggerating a bit V? I think any team with a player skilled in the post like a prime Pau would build their offense around him. With the right personnel: defenders, shooters, and a skilled wing, that system still works.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject:

The interesting question to me is where would we be if Kobe hadn't snapped his Achilles...

The veto, the coaching hires, and the Dwight, Nash deals all contributed to the laker demise but the Achilles heel was the final nail

One could argue that even with all the other missteps, if Kobe hadn't snapped his Achilles we would still be a playoff team today.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I was swept up with just how dominant Dwight used to look, not knowing how weak he was mentally. I don't think Phil Jax would change the Kobe/Dwight dynamic and he would have left anyways.

Phil would have skewered Dwight like he did to Ho Grant and even Kobe early on. Howard would have hated Phil's guts.

Agreed. I kind of chuckle a bit at some who claim Phil Jax would have saved Dwight (let alone got him to work with Kobe). I think quite the opposite.

Dwight's few comments about all of it seemed to suggest that he thought that Phil would have got Kobe under control and they would have played a style that was more suitable to Dwight instead. It's an absolutely foolish thought.

What's more headscratching is that so many of the people I talk to who blame the MDA hire for Dwight leaving didn't want Dwight to stay anyway.

Dwight respected Phil. How did Phil use Shaq, Pau, even Cartwright? very effectively. Not that Dwight can match Shaq and Pau offensively, but he would've worked his butt off for Phil. To think having Phil as coach of that team would have made no difference is laughable.

Dwight loved posting up and scoring inside.....and MDA hated that stuff - enough said.

Well Dwight is poor at posting up and scoring inside, and even Phil said he would only give him enough touches to keep him interested defensively. You said it yourself, Dwight was nowhere close to Shaq and Pau offensively, not even in the same zip code. He would never had been a featured part of the offense no matter who the coach was. And MDA didn't hate scoring from the post, he hated wasting time dumping the ball to a big man who then took 8-10 seconds trying to establish position and shoot the ball. As he should, that is prehistoric basketball.

I think Phil wouldve gotten the most out of Dwight. And Dwight wouldn't have complained. And 2010-2011 Laker basketball is prehistoric? Exaggerating a bit V? I think any team with a player skilled in the post like a prime Pau would build their offense around him. With the right personnel: defenders, shooters, and a skilled wing, that system still works.

Dwight not complain? Doubt it.

I know everyone thinks Phil was some panacea for Dwight, but the first moment Phil needled Dwight's FT shooting in the press, or how he needs to work on more blue collar things, I doubt Dwight takes that well. He has the mental fortitude of a 9 year old.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
The interesting question to me is where would we be if Kobe hadn't snapped his Achilles...

The veto, the coaching hires, and the Dwight, Nash deals all contributed to the laker demise but the Achilles heel was the final nail

One could argue that even with all the other missteps, if Kobe hadn't snapped his Achilles we would still be a playoff team today.

I'll play this what ifs... If Kobe didn't snap his achilles... we would've made the playoff on a tear (i think 80% win percentage the last 15 - 20 games with Kobe going about 34/7/6/50% ish), who knows how deep we go, maybe even Kobe vs LeBron Part I. In which case, Pau would've stayed with this playoff team who offered him more money than Chicago. Don't know about Dwight but one can argue winning cures everything. Kobe would still be an MVP caliber player and we would content for the next 2 -3 years after which would be re-build yr 1 this season without any of the stud rooks (the biggest difference is ring count possibility)
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I'll play this what ifs... If Kobe didn't snap his achilles... we would've made the playoff on a tear (i think 80% win percentage the last 15 - 20 games with Kobe going about 34/7/6/50% ish), who knows how deep we go, maybe even Kobe vs LeBron Part I. In which case, Pau would've stayed with this playoff team who offered him more money than Chicago. Don't know about Dwight but one can argue winning cures everything. Kobe would still be an MVP caliber player and we would content for the next 2 -3 years after which would be re-build yr 1 this season without any of the stud rooks (the biggest difference is ring count possibility)

Pretty much agree with that except I think Kobe would still be playing, maybe this year would be his last year. A final playoff push with a group of vets and young guns (LMA, Lowry?, clarkson, Nance jr, et al)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

The year we didn't get Melo, I was hoping we could get Lowry/Ariza. Would have been a competitive team but we'd obviously be too good and not have guys like DLO/Ingram/Randle as lottery picks. And that team would not have been a contender either, so yeah I can see why they punted on that.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The year we didn't get Melo, I was hoping we could get Lowry/Ariza. Would have been a competitive team but we'd obviously be too good and not have guys like DLO/Ingram/Randle as lottery picks. And that team would not have been a contender either, so yeah I can see why they punted on that.

The Achilles makes all the difference. Melo, LMA...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Achilles makes all the difference. Melo, LMA...

Yeah, no doubt. Healthy Kobe probably attracts Melo IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: