Luke Walton Discusses Outlook on the Team and a Successful Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Bill Walton is smart, he knows he doesn't have the talent to make the playoffs or even come close to it so he uses a word that we've heard before. It's the process that counts and how the players play the game. I remember Dwight Howard using that word after every loss under Brown and a motion offense. Ultimately wins is what a coach is graded on, and fans, the TWC network, and FO will increase the pressure. His methods will eventually be the spotlight and will be criticized till no end, and then fans will realize talent is the determining factor.

For championships? Probably. For playoffs? Most likely not. You can coach talent-less teams into the playoffs.

Ok sure. All the rah rah great coach bs goes down the drain when you lose one game after another. Very easy to say anything at this point.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
Bill Walton is smart, he knows he doesn't have the talent to make the playoffs or even come close to it so he uses a word that we've heard before. It's the process that counts and how the players play the game. I remember Dwight Howard using that word after every loss under Brown and a motion offense. Ultimately wins is what a coach is graded on, and fans, the TWC network, and FO will increase the pressure. His methods will eventually be the spotlight and will be criticized till no end, and then fans will realize talent is the determining factor.

For championships? Probably. For playoffs? Most likely not. You can coach talent-less teams into the playoffs.

Ok sure. All the rah rah great coach bs goes down the drain when you lose one game after another. Very easy to say anything at this point.

Do you miss Byron?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Lol. Still bitter about Byron I see.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject:

As excited and giddy as we all are for the season to start, it's important to temper expectations.

You've got a slew of roster additions that have to gel together.

Young talents trying to "get theirs" and embrace the team concept at the same time.

A new system that - while not as complicated as the triangle - is still a system to grasp.

We have to be patient early with their growing pains and, hopefully, by mid-season we can see them putting it all together.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
As excited and giddy as we all are for the season to start, it's important to temper expectations.

You've got a slew of roster additions that have to gel together.

Young talents trying to "get theirs" and embrace the team concept at the same time.

A new system that - while not as complicated as the triangle - is still a system to grasp.

We have to be patient early with their growing pains and, hopefully, by mid-season we can see them putting it all together.

If we have great team chemistry we can overachieve, similar to Portland last year.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

Trying to add a fair point here, it'll be interesting to see how the honeymoon period ends in LA after some losses pile up. It sounds like Luke is prepared for it, and I think he'll handle it with complete class. That's why he's been talking so much about competition, because it felt like the team gave up quite often last year while watching. His focus on loving competition is his version of "man up," and we'll see if he stays consistent with that and if it's effective from a morale standpoint. He's said that he doesn't want to see this team "beat itself."

Also again, the full "Connected With... Luke Walton" I posted earlier is a good watch if you have a TWC account.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

And unlike Byron luke has set the right expectations up front. I think the fanbsse will be more willing to see him develop this year and will give a pass this season post Kobe.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

He already has full buy in from the kids and that means everything. There was no way in hell anyone wanted to spend any more time anywhere near Byron than was required. This summer, everyone has been in the gym every day and Luke has been there with them.

The players and the coaches aren't delusional, so I don't expect anything to change in terms of chemistry if they rack up the losses. They can handle it as long as they see a direction, which the team didn't have last year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
He already has full buy in from the kids and that means everything. There was no way in hell anyone wanted to spend any more time anywhere near Byron than was required. This summer, everyone has been in the gym every day and Luke has been there with them.

The players and the coaches aren't delusional, so I don't expect anything to change in terms of chemistry if they rack up the losses. They can handle it as long as they see a direction, which the team didn't have last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

I think coaching can get you to the playoffs....out in the Eastern Conference.
But if you don't have the horses (talent) to run in the Wild Wild West. You out of luck in terms of making the playoffs.
With 1 exception, the same 8 teams have made the playoffs out west since 2013. Not a typo.
If anyone is wondering the exception, it was when the Pelicans beat out OKC for the 8th seed the year Durant and Ibaka got injured.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

The real difference Luke & co. hope to achieve throughout the season will be when things don't go the Laker's way. Under BS, the way we played last year when we were down was abhorrent and despicable. It was hard to watch because it appeared like there was no fight in'em. The man up message was simply about taking a punch and not at all about real strategy to help them out of the mess.

They can and will loose fights - but I want to see them punch back! I think Luke has a real game-plan/message for these guys to alleviate the pain other than simply 'play harder.' Once the Lakers young guys get to see that they can punch just as hard as most teams the confidence will grow and we'll start seeing some inspired basketball for a change. (I may have just watched Rocky Balboa recently --- Oh well...I stand by it )
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I think coaching can get you to the playoffs....out in the Eastern Conference.
But if you don't have the horses (talent) to run in the Wild Wild West. You out of luck in terms of making the playoffs.
With 1 exception, the same 8 teams have made the playoffs out west since 2013. Not a typo.
If anyone is wondering the exception, it was when the Pelicans beat out OKC for the 8th seed the year Durant and Ibaka got injured.

That's what Mitch alluded to.

Taking advantage of opportunities.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: