Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton praises young core and veterans for dedication to work on their weaknesses

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
MJST wrote:
socalfan2708 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:
Players showing their seriousness to work on weaknesses as camp rolls around

Walton also praised ongoing efforts from Randle and Larry Nance Jr. in developing their jump shots. Walton expressed optimism for Jordan Clarkson to become an elite defender. And Walton reported other positive developments: second-year forward Anthony Brown has often won 3-point shooting contests in practice; rookie center Ivica Zubac has developed a skyhook; veteran forward Nick Young has lost about 20 pounds; veteran guard Lou Williams has demonstrated a playmaking presence.

Don't know why my mind was fixated on this but the part that stuck out to me most is "Anthony Brown wins 3 point shooting contests". What player during the back to back championship years was known for lights out shooting in practice but couldn't always make them consistently in games?

The player that iced game 7 for us vs the Celtics at the line?

You mean the same player that got blown off the dribble by Ray freakin' Allen to lose game 4 at home when the Lakers blew a huge lead? He had only one average season, and of course it was during a contract year. Brown may be Sasha in practice, but at least Brown can play defense. If Sasha isn't hitting shots, he's useless.

Yep, the same guy who came back from that and iced game 7 for us at the line in the Finals the next time around. What happened before is irrelevant if he came back and wrote that wrong. Aaaaand he did.

And Brown at this point needs his consistent shot to fall in games. If it does, his defense will take care of the rest of it.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

Isn't it nice to have a coach not teying to throw players under the bus and not spend all his time bragginh about himself?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Scoffs wrote:
I hope this is real and not just some kiss-ass comments so the players will like him. If JC becomes an elite defender, we win 40 plus games.

You don't become an elite defender in one summer.

Andrew Bogut, Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver, JR Smith called.

Not to say that Clarkson will suddenly become an elite defender but I think we will see a large improvement. We already know he has the physical tools both in size and athleticism to do it. And the weaknesses in the area he does have are both teachable and something that will be worked on with more chemistry and communication from both him and his teammates on the court.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Isn't it nice to have a coach not teying to throw players under the bus and not spend all his time bragginh about himself?

Yup, especially when said coach has probably set more negative coaching records than any other coach in league history, yet parades his basketball acumen because he won a few championships as a player 30 years ago
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

If Clarkson had proper defensive stance, basics, and understood angles he'd be a good defender next year.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

And Sasha wasn't some useless player if his shot wasn't falling. I don't know how anyone could think that if they were actually watching the games, especially during the playoffs. He was as good as it gets in the "pest" role defensively. He was the original Matthew Dellavedova minus the classless, dirty plays.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:

Man, it's such a great feeling knowing that this core is motivated unlike the last 2 seasons being Scott's whooping boys

I hope AB finds his range, he can be the ideal 3 and D player.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If Clarkson had proper defensive stance, basics, and understood angles he'd be a good defender next year.

He hasn't had proper defensive coaching (self admittedly) hopefully Luke can change that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

I still don't understand how being a 24 year old NBA player who played 4 years of college, you don't know how to be in a proper defensive stance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still don't understand how being a 24 year old NBA player who played 4 years of college, you don't know how to be in a proper defensive stance.

Especially coming from two decent basketball programs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Especially coming from two decent basketball programs.

He's been an offensive minded player, but just mind boggling that he doesn't seem to have defense 101 down. Hopefully coaching will help, but it's not like he has any other true SG pushing him for PT like Randle/Nance.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I still don't get the skipping thing. Where do you learn to do that? It's not even an intuitive way to play defense.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I still don't get the skipping thing. Where do you learn to do that? It's not even an intuitive way to play defense.

With his insane athleticism, I think he got by on that against non-NBA competition.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

With his insane athleticism, I think he got by on that against non-NBA competition.

Yeah. The more I think about it, the more I realize it can be explained by him picking up basketball late (which I think he did). If he never learned fundamentals via defensive slide drills, then in game he might have learned that weird hop. And since he would have a speed advantage to make up for it, he wouldn't be punished by lesser competition.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. The more I think about it, the more I realize it can be explained by him picking up basketball late (which I think he did). If he never learned fundamentals via defensive slide drills, then in game he might have learned that weird hop. And since he would have a speed advantage to make up for it, he wouldn't be punished by lesser competition.

The 64m (aka Mozgov) question is whether he can adapt to a fundamentally different defensive method. I know it sounds simple, but he's had what, nearly a decade probably playing this way?
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This video actually mentions Beverley hopping while playing in an unorthodox defensive stance, which allows him to cover more ground.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This video actually mentions Beverley hopping while playing in an unorthodox defensive stance, which allows him to cover more ground.

Thanks for the vid! I wonder if the difference is that Beverley just only uses it when he needs that speed advantage, or that when players try to take advantage of it (same as Clarkson) by crossing him over, he is just better at swiping the ball away. Hard to say for sure with a 3 min video.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
The Logo wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Thanks for the vid! I wonder if the difference is that Beverley just only uses it when he needs that speed advantage, or that when players try to take advantage of it (same as Clarkson) by crossing him over, he is just better at swiping the ball away. Hard to say for sure with a 3 min video.

Never really analyzed his defense, but maybe he uses a wider stance and hops around when he's shadowing someone near the sideline so they're trapped?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't mind. There are a lot of things you can't teach a basketball player (size, athleticism, reach, work ethic, competitive nature). Changing a defensive stance is easy.
Probably easier than fixing shot mechanics (something some NBA shooting coaches have made a living doing).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't mind. There are a lot of things you can't teach a basketball player (size, athleticism, reach, work ethic, competitive nature). Changing a defensive stance is easy.
Probably easier than fixing shot mechanics (something some NBA shooting coaches have made a living doing).

Sure, but it's undoing a lot of instinct and bad habits. It will take time and unfortunately, there's not an equivalent Larry Nance Jr. type to push him if he doesn't make strides defensively. (Lou Will...umm, yeah).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure, but it's undoing a lot of instinct and bad habits. It will take time and unfortunately, there's not an equivalent Larry Nance Jr. type to push him if he doesn't make strides defensively. (Lou Will...umm, yeah).

(Hospital intercom): "Paging Nick Young at the 2. Paging Nick Young at the 2... Will someone please go get Nick Young out of his car in the parking lot. We can see him making a social media post from here."
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Meh, there are a lot of players who got by on their athleticism in high school, college, etc and have a tough transition to the NBA in at least one aspect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: