Derrick Rose accused of drugging and gang raping ex-girlfriend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Well, let's wait for the evidence to come out.

It already is. And it's not looking very pretty for Mr. Rose.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

So it's not looking very rosy for him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Indeed. And Derrick contradicted himself a few times in his own deposition. I wanted to believe Derrick was completely innocent but it's looking shaky at best...

This is a very ugly story and getting worse by the day as the facts start to come out. It is strange the press isn't jumping on this like they did with Kobe, of course Rose is a long way from Kobe despite them both having one MVP each....

If what she alleges is true, he needs to go away like Darren Sharper for a long time and think about things.

IIRC it's a civil case; not sure if there's a criminal case (but seems to me there isn't b/c he would have asserted 5th amendment rights to not testify in the civil case).

My bad guys, I had confused myself into thinking it was a criminal case. If I am Rose's attorney, I would have settled this bad boy one way or the other before the facts came out....yikes. Amazing that he is mostly getting a completely free pass from the media.

Say what you will about TMZ, at least they are reporting about it.

Only because

1) the alleged victim is black a woman of color doesn't really matter when it comes to being the victim.
2) Derrick Rose hasn't been relevant in a long time compared to some of his peers.

(3) It's a civil rather than a criminal case. There is no threat of jail; no police investigation with updates; no police sources to contact. Civil cases get relatively little attention from the media because, unlike criminal cases, there is no threshold to be able to file one.
(4) The case was filed a year ago, and information has dribbled out of the courtroom now and then. It's only now, as the case goes to court, and information is released is there much to say about the case. It's the type of case where you can't do much independent reporting -- you only have material to write about when material is filed in the court and released.
(5) It's a messy case, mostly based on he-said/she-said stuff, which is hard to report. An alleged rape case, involving two people who have been involved in an ongoing relationship for a long time, is harder to sort through than, say, the Cosby case.
(6) Rose is boring. There is no flamboyance of the Phil Spector case; no surprise like the Cosby case.
(7) Ultimately, it's about money. Worse case scenario is a super rich guy will come out of this a little less rich. The stakes aren't dramatic,.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/14/ap-exclusive-accuser-pursuing-derrick-rose-rape-lawsuit-without-her-family-knowing-her-involvement/

Quote:

AP Exclusive: Accuser pursuing Derrick Rose rape lawsuit without her family knowing her involvement

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — The woman who brought a lawsuit accusing NBA star Derrick Rose and two others of gang rape is leading two drastically different lives.

She is the central figure identified only as “Jane Doe” in a made-for-tabloid case replete with unsavory details about the sexual relationship she had with one of pro basketball’s biggest names and the night she says he and his two friends sexually assaulted her when she was passed out.

And she is a 30-year-old college student whose family knows nothing about her involvement with Rose or the lawsuit, which seeks $21.5 million. Keeping her Mexican immigrant parents, siblings and many nieces and nephews in the dark is critically important to her and gets harder as the Oct. 4 trial date looms with more attention focused on the case.

“They have a sense something’s wrong, but there’s no way I can express to them or explain to them how I feel or what I’m going through,” the woman told The Associated Press in her first media interview. “Having to think of alternative ways to communicate that pain is very stressful and it takes a lot out of you.”

While she seeks to maintain her anonymity so she can continue a life out of the spotlight, Rose’s attorneys want her name made public, believing it will help expose her as a fraud. So far a judge has agreed her identity can be kept secret but a hearing Monday could change that.

“This is not a rape case. It’s pure and simple extortion by a plaintiff who wants to hide behind the cloak of anonymity while seeking millions in damages from a celebrity with whom she was in a long-term, nonexclusive consensual sexual relationship,” Rose’s lawyers wrote in a court filing in Los Angeles, where the case is being handled in U.S. District Court.

Stakes are high for Rose, who was traded to the New York Knicks this offseason. A former MVP with his hometown Chicago Bulls, he is looking to return to his All-Star level in a city that is often unforgiving for big-time athletes who don’t live up to expectations.

The trial’s scheduled Oct. 4 start also is Rose’s 28th birthday and coincides with the early part of the NBA preseason. The last place Rose wants to be is in a cross-country courtroom listening to testimony about his sex life when he could be in New York working out with his new teammates.

Even if he prevails in this case, the embarrassing, public details could damage his reputation and marketability. Both sides acknowledge a settlement remains a possibility.

The woman alleges Rose and two other men gang-raped her at her home in the early morning hours of Aug. 27, 2013, forcing their way in after she drank so much she vomited and later blacked out. Rose and the defense claim she let them inside her apartment and willingly had sex.

Someone who is overly intoxicated cannot legally consent to sex and the woman says she was in no condition to provide affirmation for Rose, who she had dated for nearly two years, let alone the two men with him: close friends and co-defendants Ryan Allen and Randall Hampton.

“As soon as I woke up, I was dressed, I had my dress on from the previous night and I never go to sleep with what I’m wearing. I always prepare myself first to go to sleep,” the women said during the interview in Oakland, a couple of hours from where she grew up in Northern California. “So I had the dress and it was up on my neck and I felt very wet and slippery. There was lubricant all over my bed and on my legs. Everything was tossed in my bed. There was a condom wrapper and a closed one not used.

“That was just shocking to see all that, almost like I didn’t want to believe it.”

Rose’s defense team said her roommate was home and nearby the entire night and never testified to being concerned her friend was in distress. Rose’s legal filings contend he and his friends had no idea the woman was severely drunk, and say she personally let them into the apartment and her bedroom.

Lawyers for Rose may also call a former co-worker who said the woman was bragging about having sex with the NBA star hours after the alleged rape.

“The salacious allegations of a woman who is now on a media tour – who also claims to not remember much from that night – do not change what transpired that evening, which was consensual intercourse between Mr. Rose ?and the plaintiff,” attorney Mark Baute wrote in a statement to the AP.

The case comes amid heightened attention on sexual assaults involving incapacitated women, driven by several high-profile cases.

Ex-Stanford swimmer Brock Turner was sentenced to just a six-month jail term for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman, sparking public outcry over the punishment. Bill Cosby is fighting allegations by dozens of women who say he drugged and sexually abused them.

Last month, former NFL All-Pro safety Darren Sharper was sentenced to more than 18 years in federal prison after he pleaded no contest to charges he drugged and raped women in four states.

In Rose’s case, there are no criminal charges or threat of jail – the woman didn’t report the incident to police for two years and they determined there was not sufficient evidence to forward to the district attorney for possible prosecution.

But there are endorsements that could be lost and a reputation damaged for him and the Knicks. Rose is set to begin the final year of his contract.

He and the alleged victim met in the glitz of a Hollywood party he hosted in 2011, the year he won league MVP honors. Both sides agree the relationship was long-running and involved consensual sex. She said she cared deeply for Rose, and they communicated regularly via Skype or by phone, and saw each other when he came to California. She also took a trip to see him in Chicago.

In August 2013, Rose was in Southern California rehabbing a knee injury and she was working in Los Angeles. They partied at Rose’s rental house the night of Aug. 26 and then she went home after consuming vodka, wine and tequila. The men showed up several hours later.

She said she remembers nothing while Rose’s side said she was alert after intercourse and even cleaned up her room.

After they had left, she said she rushed to the shower but didn’t even feel the sensation of the water she was in such shock.

“I felt just dirty,” she said. “… Like I didn’t want to believe it was true.”

Rose’s attorneys question why she didn’t immediately report the alleged rape to police or get examined at a hospital. They say she went to police only after she “failed at multiple attempts to get money from Mr. Rose.”

The woman said she showed up late for work and was in no condition emotionally to talk to police or seek treatment, though she said a concerned co-worker she had told about her condition upon waking up encouraged her to go to the authorities and even called a lawyer on her behalf. Her right hand was in pain from burning it the previous night at Rose’s home, and it had begun to blister. The co-worker is scheduled to be a witness.

“I didn’t want to tell anyone what happened. I didn’t want nobody to know,” she said. “I wanted to erase the fact that I woke up the way I did. I only told him because it was almost necessary for me the way I walked in. I felt like I wasn’t going to be able to do the job for that day.”

She did reach out to Rose via text message. He wouldn’t answer her questions about the specifics of what had happened, she said.

The woman believes she has been unfairly painted as promiscuous, disputing Rose’s side claiming she had sex with other NBA players.

Brandon Anand, one of her attorneys, said Rose’s legal team is using a “campaign of harassment” to try to intimidate her.

“It’s been that way from Day 1,” Anand said. “It’s been very aggressive. There have been threats to leak her name to the public, attempts to depose her parents, who they know very well have no knowledge of this.”

The woman is the youngest child from a large, conservative and religious family from Mexico. If her parents learn the truth, she fears devastating the entire family.

“They already have very traditional cultural expectations of me,” she said.

The woman hopes that by winning her case and maintaining her anonymity, she can empower other women.

“I want to share my story so women can know that they are able to come forward and remain anonymous and not to have to have the burden or the worry that their loved ones will find out,” she said.

As the case plays out, she continues going to school in San Francisco during the week and returning to her family on weekends. The independent life far from home that she once dreamed of no longer seems important because “everything I had fought for was kind of the reason I had been in this situation, because I wanted to be so independent and prove myself to my family.”

“It made me understand why women feel the need to have someone by their side that is able to protect them and able to keep them safe,” she said. “… Now, I just want to be closer to home.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/20/judge-rules-derrick-rose-accuser-must-reveal-her-name-publicly/

Quote:
Judge rules Derrick Rose accuser must reveal her name publicly

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles federal judge has ruled a woman accusing NBA star Derrick Rose of rape cannot remain anonymous at her upcoming civil trial.

U.S. District Judge Michael W. Fitzgerald ruled Tuesday.

The woman has only been identified in documents as Jane Doe. The Associated Press typically does not identify alleged victims of sexual abuse.

The 30-year-old woman says the former MVP and two of his friends raped her in 2013 while she was incapacitated from drinking. Rose denies her claims and contends he had consensual sex with the woman.

Rose’s lawyer argued his client would be harmed if the woman’s identity wasn’t revealed, and he cited interviews and a press conference she conducted last week as a reason to use her real name.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

The girl blew it by trying to drag his name through the court of public opinion by doing media, phone interviews and press conferences about it for the past week.

It's a usual tactic at times to try to force a large settlement agreement because of the court of public opinion. Unfortunately the media wasn't picking up on it as fast to pressure Rose. So she and her people went on a week long tirade set to intentionally drag Rose's name through the mud and put pressure on him to settle out of court. However in doing that, they blew their chance at anonymity. Rookie mistake.

Because she's been doing interviews and her lawyers went on a rampage through the media, they blew any kind of case she had for anonymity, especially when she started doing interviews.

Idk who her lawyers are, but they screwed the case if it was in their favor. Because now the battlefield is more even. She likely doesn't want the world to know who she is, but she was willing to do media interviews and go on the drag campaign, which means she can no longer remain anonymous.

The likely scenario now is that she will settle for a 'small' settlement to avoid revealing her identity and this case will be over before training camp begins.

She blew it when she decided to start doing interviews and press with the media to drag his name while trying to still remain 'Jane Doe'.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like it could be a criminal case after all? Strange to see a criminal case after a civil action typically yes?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/27/sports/basketball/derrick-rose-new-york-knicks-los-angeles-police-investigation.html?_r=0
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject:

By no means this clears DRose's image, "tell me who you hang on with, I'll tell who you are".

This is so NYK's, Isiah Thomas, Derrick Williams.

I bet he will be out of the league before he reaches 30y old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

If there was sexual assault, she blew it by not reporting it right afterwards. Whatever evidence there was is gone and its going by her word against his.I think the fact that they are trying this case in the civil courts instead of the criminal courts probably means that they don't have enough evidence to get a conviction.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
By no means this clears DRose's image, "tell me who you hang on with, I'll tell who you are".

Except this happened before he was ever a Knick.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Rose said he never received any text from the woman telling him she wanted to have sex with him and the two others. But he had assumed from what had transpired and the fact she had never told him no.

"In my mind, she consented every time we had sex," he said. "Why wouldn't she do it that time?"

Attorney Waukeen McCoy suggested Rose had no remorse about the night.

"I'm sensitive to it," Rose replied, but added, "I feel I didn't do anything wrong."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-derrick-rose-testimony-rape-lawsuit-20161007-story.html
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

I don't think it will matter as far as NBA teams wanting to sign him. He's no longer a star, but he's a competent player and there will be a market for him.

It could hurt his jersey sales and endorsement deals. But his shoe was already doing badly before this, so his endorsement deals were going down after they expired anyway.

Doubt it will be a factor in how long he plays. He's not going to jail; based on the he said/she said nature of the case, I would be shocked if this results in criminal charges.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Derrick rose what a loser. The ex probably traumatized because Derrick had his friends join in when she probably just wanted him alone.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject:

Apparently the girls story was very inconsistent, it looks like this case may be over shortly from a narrative perspective, as she couldn't seem to keep her story straight. I'll look more into this case when I can but that apparently was what happened the first day of court.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Apparently the girls story was very inconsistent, it looks like this case may be over shortly from a narrative perspective, as she couldn't seem to keep her story straight. I'll look more into this case when I can but that apparently was what happened the first day of court.

Being that this was a civil case and not a criminal prosecution, Rose still doesn't come out of this case looking good at all. Lots of slimeball things that he openly admitted to doing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Possible mistrial since the accuser withheld texts exonerating Derrick Rose.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Being that this was a civil case and not a criminal prosecution, Rose still doesn't come out of this case looking good at all. Lots of slimeball things that he openly admitted to doing.

Which is why a lot of people elect to settle even if they didn't do anything wrong, per se.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

LAPD detective investigating Derrick Rose case found dead of gunshot wound in Whittier
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-employee-dead-whittier-20161012-snap-story.html
Quote:
Whittier police received a call at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday reporting an attempted suicide in the 8400 block of Via Sierra Ramal, Whittier Lt. Steve Dean said.

Hernandez was taken to PIH Health Hospital in Whittier, where she died at 3:27 p.m., according to Dean and the coroner’s department.

It was unclear whether the death was a suicide or a homicide, Dean said.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

From what I've read, it doesn't seem like a strong case. It seems like a he said/she said case, with a lot of holes in it. Seems like the biggest risk for Rose is if the jurors just don't like him. Based on the facts I've read, it seems like it would be hard for me to vote against him if I were on the juror.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
LAPD detective investigating Derrick Rose case found dead of gunshot wound in Whittier
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-employee-dead-whittier-20161012-snap-story.html
Quote:
Whittier police received a call at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday reporting an attempted suicide in the 8400 block of Via Sierra Ramal, Whittier Lt. Steve Dean said.

Hernandez was taken to PIH Health Hospital in Whittier, where she died at 3:27 p.m., according to Dean and the coroner’s department.

It was unclear whether the death was a suicide or a homicide, Dean said.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

From what I've read, it doesn't seem like a strong case. It seems like a he said/she said case, with a lot of holes in it. Seems like the biggest risk for Rose is if the jurors just don't like him. Based on the facts I've read, it seems like it would be hard for me to vote against him if I were on the juror.

Agreed, but I've learned firsthand that the media reports of a trial vary a lot from what really happened. Most importantly, when the jury looked Rose in the eye, did they believe him?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

im curious what did he admit to?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:

im curious what did he admit to?

Whether it's slimeball is in the eye of the beholder. He had a highly sexual, kinky relationship with a woman. He viewed it as casual and non exclusive and pressured her to do things like threesomes. They were together for years on this basis. She seems pretty kinky too so I don't really see an issue with engaging in kinky stuff with a willing partner. Whether some of the pressuring/requests were slimeball is also in the eye of the beholder

The only question is whether he had sex with her while she was drunk/incapacitated.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject:

dont know the details but IMO that seems about par for the course for the average bachelor if they had the means to have a FWB relationship with some chick that you can act out whatever your sexual fantasies are.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

http://nypost.com/2016/10/17/derrick-roses-accuser-trying-to-block-ex-coworkers-testimony/
if coworker's testimony is true it pretty much blows her accusations out the water
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: