Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Judah wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
somewhere... there's been so many articles now, it was implied that not only was Julius going to play some Center, Walton saw him as a possible future allstar, so Julius is going to get a lot of minutes in whatever lineup scenario anyone might want to post. DLo, the same. I'd be tempted to boost both of their minutes up towards the 35 mark as I think Luke will be a little like Phil on this and have his best players on the floor as much as possible. You can't compare to how many minutes Curry/Green get during the season because they have had so many blowout victories the last 2 years - which... is not a problem for us right now.

So I'd say, DLo, Julius and Clarkson are getting around 34-35 minutes on average. I'm not sure if Nance is physically able to do 30 some odd minutes yet, he seems a bit injury prone so he would be more in the 22-24 range.

ya i agree. run the young guys 32-34mins and reduce Mozgov/deng to 26-28mins

Russell or Clarkson should play all 48mins @PG.

Was Calderon abducted by aliens?

no i just prefer Russell/Clarkson playing pg position

FWIW, Calderon is by far the best controller on the team. His assist to TO ratio was 3rd best in the NBA.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

I know it's not realistic but if I were making the lineups I'd go:

Dlo/calderon/huertas
Jc/lou/ingram
Ingram/deng/brown
Deng/randle/nance
Mozgov/nance/yi/black/zubac

Deng would split his minutes as starting 4 and backup 3 around 25min per game total. Randle and Nance will be your small ball change of pace front court off the bench but they'll be getting as many minutes as the starting front court. Keep in mind mozzy and deng need to be conserved and limited because they are older and already have injury history. Zubac did his dmg vs summer league but vs nba talent he will be pretty green. He needs time in the dleague. When mozgov inevitably gets hurt, well be seeing yi given a chance. Black will probably be traded mid season.

Thats a good balance between vets and rooks in the game at the same time without compromising spacing and still having defensive versatility. Also it limits too many people needing the ball in their hands at one time but still having enough weapons on the floor at all times.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Announce Additions to Coaching Staff

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers announced today that the team has hired Jud Buechler, Brian Keefe, and Theo Robertson as player development coaches on Head Coach Luke Walton’s staff, joining associate head coach Brian Shaw and assistant coaches Jesse Mermuys and Mark Madsen. Additionally, it was announced that Casey Owens has been named assistant coach/advance professional scout and Will Scott has been named to the staff as video coordinator.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160819coachingbuechlerkeeferobertson
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Judah wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
somewhere... there's been so many articles now, it was implied that not only was Julius going to play some Center, Walton saw him as a possible future allstar, so Julius is going to get a lot of minutes in whatever lineup scenario anyone might want to post. DLo, the same. I'd be tempted to boost both of their minutes up towards the 35 mark as I think Luke will be a little like Phil on this and have his best players on the floor as much as possible. You can't compare to how many minutes Curry/Green get during the season because they have had so many blowout victories the last 2 years - which... is not a problem for us right now.

So I'd say, DLo, Julius and Clarkson are getting around 34-35 minutes on average. I'm not sure if Nance is physically able to do 30 some odd minutes yet, he seems a bit injury prone so he would be more in the 22-24 range.

FWIW, Calderon is by far the best controller on the team. His assist to TO ratio was 3rd best in the NBA.

& plays 0 defense
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Who's Will Scott?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Judah wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

& plays 0 defense

He's like Huertas with less turn overs and better shooting
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Farmar on Luke:
Quote:
“If you don’t know Luke it’s hard to explain, just him, his personality, the way he’s going to interact with the team,” Farmar told LakersNation.com about why he thinks Walton is the right man to turn the organization around. “He really has a high basketball IQ and understands the game. He’ll make it fun, enjoyable, easy and he’ll be on their team. It’s not going to be like a dictatorship with Luke, he’s going to lead with positive energy.

http://www.lakersnation.com/jordan-farmar-luke-walton-lakers-head-coach/2016/08/19/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Farmar on Luke:
Quote:
“If you don’t know Luke it’s hard to explain, just him, his personality, the way he’s going to interact with the team,” Farmar told LakersNation.com about why he thinks Walton is the right man to turn the organization around. “He really has a high basketball IQ and understands the game. He’ll make it fun, enjoyable, easy and he’ll be on their team. It’s not going to be like a dictatorship with Luke, he’s going to lead with positive energy.

http://www.lakersnation.com/jordan-farmar-luke-walton-lakers-head-coach/2016/08/19/

Bolded makes him sound like a hippy.
Like father, like son.
http://sportscracklepop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/billwalton.jpg
I have high hopes for Luke. Glad he's getting this opportunity.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Farmar on Luke:
Quote:

Seems like players, even former players are taking turns firing shots at Byron. Can't say I don't love it.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

Just a reminder of how bad it was with Byron: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/692123083503722496
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Just a reminder of how bad it was with Byron: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/692123083503722496

For someone who would rag DLO and sometimes Randle for their immaturity... this is something else
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

For someone who would rag DLO and sometimes Randle for their immaturity... this is something else

Just sent Byron this.

He's questioning your manhood and wants to fight you.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Luke held a coach's retreat in Laguna Niguel

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

& plays 0 defense

Calderon plays zero defense, but you can just say the same about Clarkson, Russell, Lou e Huertas, so the good AST/TO ratio is a plus.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject:

True Lakers Fan wrote:
Who's Will Scott?

Ugh, he's the worst video coordinator. Still uses a 70's Betamax player.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

& plays 0 defense

Calderon plays zero defense, but you can just say the same about Clarkson, Russell, Lou e Huertas, so the good AST/TO ratio is a plus.

False equivalency. At least Russell has length and Clarkson has speed, and the former has shown he can be a solid defender when he wants to be. There are varying degrees of bad, and this applies to Calderon vs. Huertas. Both suck at defense, but it's still possible one is worse than the other.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Honorary bump for one of the greatest posts in LG history right here. I only had to read this once and was completely sold on Luke. Four months later and it's still just as epic as it was when I first read it lol

BleedP&G wrote:
Before really researching, I had Ollie at the top followed by Messina. Having done a lot of reading and listening to opinions on here, I am now fully onboard with Walton. I feel his potential is to be a great to alltime great coach. His upside as a coach is a modern version of Phil Jackson without all the manipulative sideshow. That is insane upside for a coach.

My TL;DR is he has a philosophy shaped by some of the deepest roots in basketball, uncommon basketball intelligence, a calm, collected, collaborative temperament, and the experience to be a very unique talent. For those concerned about experience, both Jackson and Kerr took the approach of having an offensive and defensive "coordinator", so I am confident that Luke would look to bring top talent assistants in (defense being the key piece. I have come to the conclusion that the Lakers have to take a shot. If you enjoy pointlessly long posts, here are some of the bits that I came across in my reading.

Basketball Philosophy

The thing that really stood out to me is how he has a philosophy about the game that goes beyond mere tactical stuff and really examines how to best approach the game as a whole. His roots in the game are really unparalleled, going back to Wooden and Auerbach via his father, Lute Olson, Tex Winter, Phil Jackson, and now elements of Pop via Steve Kerr. You could not dream up a greater group to learn from and he seems thoroughly dedicated to evolving all he has learned into his own approach. I don't think he has simply seen the modern system with GSW, I get the impression that he is thinking through what is next. You can see it in how he speaks about the game:

Quote:
“I think it’s a natural progression,” Walton said. “It’s probably been developing in me before I even realized I wanted to be a coach just from the coaches I played under. But since I’ve gotten into this coaching business, I kind have spent more thinking about it and trying to pick up as much as I can from different people.”
sacbee.com

Quote:
"Tex, he was huge on the fundamentals of the game, the basic plays, things that are very important to our team's success," Walton explained after a practice during the Finals. "Obviously, we play a flashy brand of basketball, but we work on Tex's basic drills. Steve and I get these guys to do them every single day in practice."
vice.com

Quote:
"We believe in giving them the freedom and responsibility of making the right play, even if a play call is on. If something else is open before we get to the end of that play, we want our guys to attack. We don’t want our guys to be like robots out there."
businessinsider.com

While I don't fully agree with this quote, it does highlight just how insane his combination of influences is.

Quote:
But the NBA coaching tree is what impresses me more. And the branch Luke Walton built his little temporary interim nest on is what I like to call it the Lute Olson/Gregg Popovich/Phil Jackson with a sprinkle of Mike D’Antoni Miracle Grow arm.

So it’s like the triangle offense which a total of three people understand (Walton being one of them, Phil Jackson the second and Tex Winter, the crazy/reclusive inventor the third) combined with D’Antoni’s Seven Seconds Or Less philosophy which is get the ball up the court and get a shot off in fewer than seven seconds so the defense can’t set up. And that’s insane. It’s like playing f'n speed chess against Kasparov or getting into a Rubik’s Cube-off with a Google intern who got robot hands installed.deathofthepressbox.com

Intelligence and Decision Making Under Fire

Not only does he have pedigree and the masters education in the game, he is well known as being incredibly smart. His stint as head coach showed that he can translate that intelligence and knowledge to real time decisions in the heat of the moment.

Quote:
“He’s extremely smart. He always saw the game in combinations and sequences. … I kind of just chuckle a little bit at it, because I see he’s thinking in threes. Most coaches think in combinations of twos, but he’s thinking in threes. This pass leads to that pass is going to lead to that one. And I remember sitting in the locker room and going over this stuff with him.”
Kobe - nba.nbcsports.com

Quote:
"Luke is one of these people who was born with an innate understanding of the game of basketball, and he's respected," Myers said.

Said Green: "Sometimes you may be thinking something that everybody else may not see. But if you go to Luke and talk to him, he knows exactly what you're talking about.

"I think it's one of those things that you just can't teach. Like he's that type of basketball smart."
mercurynews.com

Quote:
“As an assistant, it’s kind of fun to sit there and watch and see what you think could be an advantage to recommend to Steve at the next timeout,” he said. “As a head coach, you are watching everything that is happening. You are looking to see what subs are coming and what you have to do matchup-wise, and then you get to a timeout and have two minutes to figure out what you want to run and who to put in. That’s probably been the most challenging just because you have to make so many decisions so quickly.”

All you need to know is that Walton made Rivers look silly with one play call.
sfexaminer.com

Team and Culture Building Temperament

Quote:
"Players expect honesty, and as long as we have a relationship and they feel that I'm not trying to get anything over on them, I can be laid-back, and then I can still pull them aside and tell them that they're messing up, that they need to do something better. They respect it, and they respond to it.
mercurynews.com

Quote:
“There's no ego to anything he does. He's very relaxed and has a great way of getting his point across,” Lee said. “He could sit here and talk about his championships rings that none of us have. He doesn't brag about all his accomplishments. I think you can see a lot of Phil's attitude and his teachings in the way Luke coaches.”
latimes.com

Quote:
Walton says that both Olson and Jackson would never lose their cool when they would get upset. It’s a key component of what he’s learned and implemented on Kerr’s staff, the result being a team that is fully bought in, fully invested in each other’s success.

“One of the things that was pretty common with the best coaches that I played for was that it was a collaborative effort,” Kerr said at the time. “I think players appreciate that, and they see strength when coaches do that, rather than weakness. Because nobody has all the answers and you want to empower all your players.”
wtop.com

Quote:
“His overall view of the way coaching should be done and taking in the human element of what’s going on here,” Walton said of what he's learned. “I think that’s been incredible for me to see and learn from. A lot of people think, this is sports, guys are being paid millions of dollars, so you bring them in every day and grind them and make them into the best top-shape athlete they can be. But the reality of it is these guys have families, there’s pressure, there’s stress that goes, so Steve does a great job of making practice fun and making it competitive.
coachingsearch.com

Quote:
“There are two things he does,” Pastner said. “He’s got a great knowledge of the game and that’s important because players know when you know what you are talking about or not. But he’s also got a great temperament He doesn’t get too high or two low. He’s got a competitive desire to him but he keeps it very calm and relaxed.”
theguardian.com

There is another quote in that article about his ability to recruit as well
Quote:
He also recruited. Pastner assigned him the task of trying to lure forward Alex Poythress to Memphis. This wasn’t a simple job given that Poythress was a top 20 recruit and eventually wound up with Calipari at Kentucky. But Walton worked well with Poythress, not by selling but by talking, telling the player about life in the NBA and the things he needed to do to make himself better.

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton says building a positive culture for the Lakers’ young players is ‘everything’

Quote:
Social media has revealed that the young Lakers have been in the gym as often as Walton says, and that’s a positive change for a team after such a negative year. It sounds like Walton believes if the core continues to mix positively with the veteran additions, the rebuild will be on a successful path even if that growth does not contribute to major on-court strides this season.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/8/25/12655710/la-lakers-luke-walton-positive-culture-dangelo-russell-brandon-ingram-luol-deng
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton has been getting advice from Kobe Bryant since becoming Lakers head coach

Quote:
"He's someone I've called multiple times since taking this job to pick his brain,” Walton told Chris McGee of Time Warner Cable Sportsnet of Bryant’s support. “He's someone I know will be there for me if I need him to be, so to have his support and encouragement in developing a young team, with the fans being patient with us is big."

http://sports.yahoo.com/m/7a0dd9bd-1b93-372e-ae94-6b6694bb06e0/ss_luke-walton-has-been-getting.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

NBA's Youngest Coach, Luke Walton, Is on the Level with Millennial-Laden Lakers

Quote:
D'Angelo Russell's eyes are sparkling as he makes clear how he feels about his new coach.

"At this level, I don't really know what it takes to win," Russell says. "So from a guy who knows what it takes to win, I can't do anything but sit back and listen."

He is proud that Walton, from their first time together in offseason workouts, requested Russell's voice to break the team's huddles: "This is the point guard! He's the leader!" Walton bellowed. "When he speaks, guys, you gotta listen."

Russell also is struck by how many veteran NBA players have vouched for Walton's character. "You got Luke, man," they told Russell with unmistakable warmth and even a tinge of jealousy. "You're gonna be good."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664989-nbas-youngest-coach-luke-walton-is-on-the-level-with-milennial-laden-lakers
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

In fostering the Lakers' identity, Luke Walton avoids references to the Warriors

Quote:
“I don’t like doing that,” Walton said Wednesday after the Lakers practiced in Santa Barbara. “This is our team. This is who we are.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-training-camp-20160928-snap-story.html
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
In fostering the Lakers' identity, Luke Walton avoids references to the Warriors

Quote:
“I don’t like doing that,” Walton said Wednesday after the Lakers practiced in Santa Barbara. “This is our team. This is who we are.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-training-camp-20160928-snap-story.html

This is good. Players shouldn't feel pressured to emulate anyone. They will have their own identity when all is said and done.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Over under on games before Luke p&m thread. 20.5
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

There won't be one bro.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There won't be one bro.

Yeah. Dude is like the 2nd coming of Wizard. He's gonna be brilliant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 171 of 818
Jump to: