OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
Being stashed as an overseas player is radically different from seeing D-League time. Just because they aren't stashing him on the other side of the planet doesn't mean that they've ruled out the D-League for him. Those two things are totally different. If he plays in the D-League he'll still be working closely with the staff. They're trying to develop him, and playing in the D-League would be part of that process.

Correct, it is all about development. If he develops while remaining full time with the Lakers then great. If it takes some PT with the Defenders then that is great as well. The Lakers were the only team willing to keep him in the US so they won't let his agent get in the way of developing him, they are obviously sold. He plays a position that we are suddenly deep at. Mozgov and Black are better defenders, that is why it seems likely they will get more playing time. The important thing is that Zubac gets the reps defensively to adjust to he speed of the game, be that in the NBA or D League.

It is all about development but there are diametrically opposed ways to develop a player. If they see the d-league as a valuable means to develop him, I'm all for that. I'm assuming Coby Karl will run a system that reflects what the Lakers will do. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will put him there. Or maybe the d-league isn't as beneficial to big men as it is for guards (see Kelly and Black). I don't think we have any concrete details on what Zubac's d-league plans are at the moment or if he has any.

As far as his defense, we know Jesse gave Zubac high marks and called him the best defender on the SL team. Based on their recent comments, Zubac has also been making defense a priority this off-season, which could also land him rotation time.

Also implying that they are deep at the position does not rule out the fact that Zubac might see playing time.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

Offseason. Camp can't start soon enough.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

If Zubac isn't good enough to beat out Yi and Black for minutes, I don't want him playing anyways.
This debate will solve itself once training camp and preseason occur.
Let the best man win. Age, draft position, salary, all that crap should fall by the wayside once the season starts. Wins should be priority #1. Play the lineups that give us the best chance, at the top and bottom of the rotation.
There is no Kobe on our roster. No need to be rigid about the roles of anyone. With Luke's arrival and Scott and Kobe's departure, we're kinda a blank canvas.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If Zubac isn't good enough to beat out Yi and Black for minutes, I don't want him playing anyways.
This debate will solve itself once training camp and preseason occur.
Let the best man win. Age, draft position, salary, all that crap should fall by the wayside once the season starts. Wins should be priority #1. Play the lineups that give us the best chance, at the top and bottom of the rotation.
There is no Kobe on our roster. No need to be rigid about the roles of anyone. With Luke's arrival and Scott and Kobe's departure, we're kinda a blank canvas.

Agreed!
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I hope he can beat them out. I mean he showed some good stuff in summer league, but again it is summer league. But he didn't seem fazed by the competition, the US competition since he played overseas. Seems like a confident kid.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I like Zu but unless he outplays Mozgov, he might play fewer minutes than Tarik or Yi just by not having his own niche... even if head-to-head he's better than Tarik or Yi.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject:

There is no reason to push Zubac, let him practice, develop, play some d-league and ease him into games the first year. I'd be happy if he played in 30-40 games, and make a bigger push to be the backup center next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

Grass Fed on Zubac:

Quote:
IVICA ZUBAC
DiFrancesco: For a guy that big, Ivica moves really well. A lot of times the taller guys with bigger frames are harder to put through squats and lunges because of longer levers that can be harder to move, but that’s not as much the case with him. He’s pretty efficient with his movement. He hasn’t really been exposed to a lot of resistance training or weightlifting in the past, so he’s going to see some quick gains now that we have him on a program. He’s already added some muscle fairly quickly, which will only help him. He’s reporting for duty ready to do whatever it takes, with a great attitude. He’s very, very coachable and excited to learn new things and be a part of all the things that it means to be a pro basketball player in the NBA. At 19, he’s getting exposed to a lot more volume of work on the court, as well, where a lot of this is new. D’Angelo was there last year as well, and you have to put yourself in that frame of mind where almost everything you’re doing is a new thing to learn. That can be tiring and taxing, but Ivica is doing a great job handling it. He wants to do it all, and once in a while we have to make sure to help him pump the breaks.

lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Grass Fed on Zubac:

Quote:
IVICA ZUBAC
DiFrancesco: For a guy that big, Ivica moves really well. A lot of times the taller guys with bigger frames are harder to put through squats and lunges because of longer levers that can be harder to move, but that’s not as much the case with him. He’s pretty efficient with his movement. He hasn’t really been exposed to a lot of resistance training or weightlifting in the past, so he’s going to see some quick gains now that we have him on a program. He’s already added some muscle fairly quickly, which will only help him. He’s reporting for duty ready to do whatever it takes, with a great attitude. He’s very, very coachable and excited to learn new things and be a part of all the things that it means to be a pro basketball player in the NBA. At 19, he’s getting exposed to a lot more volume of work on the court, as well, where a lot of this is new. D’Angelo was there last year as well, and you have to put yourself in that frame of mind where almost everything you’re doing is a new thing to learn. That can be tiring and taxing, but Ivica is doing a great job handling it. He wants to do it all, and once in a while we have to make sure to help him pump the breaks.
My hope is that with the training and exposure to American ways, Zubac has can build on his leaping ability. No doubt, he's put in a lot of work in other aspects of his game, but when I see how his frame could use more muscle tone, I'm hoping the continued work this summer will help him become a more of an explosive leaper. That would be huge in his development and effectiveness as a player now and in the future.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
There is no reason to push Zubac, let him practice, develop, play some d-league and ease him into games the first year. I'd be happy if he played in 30-40 games, and make a bigger push to be the backup center next year.
Your philosphy doesn't agree with the Lakers' mgmt. Everything they've done since he's been drafted shows that they're pushing him to bring whatever talent he has and build on it now. He got to go home 1 week and then he's been working non stop since the draft. Fiirst to prepare for the spl, and the last 2 months solid, to prepare for the season. They're not babying him in any way. He's in a grown up world at the Lakers facility and mgmt appears to want immediate returns on theiir investment.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I like Zu but unless he outplays Mozgov, he might play fewer minutes than Tarik or Yi just by not having his own niche... even if head-to-head he's better than Tarik or Yi.
Of the other centers, Black is the one who doesn't have his own niche. He's an undersized guy with no definitive inside or outside game to speak of. Zubac can shoot and has been working on his shot even more this summer. He also has developed a sky hook. That will be huge when the team needs sure points inside, or when other guys get too tired to get to the rim and/or their jump shots are off.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
tox wrote:
Of the other centers, Black is the one who doesn't have his own niche. He's an undersized guy with no definitive inside or outside game to speak of. Zubac can shoot and has been working on his shot even more this summer. He also has developed a sky hook. That will be huge when the team needs sure points inside, or when other guys get too tired to get to the rim and/or their jump shots are off.

Tarik does have a niche, if only as a mobile (relative to Moz/ Zu) rim runner. It's basically the Brandon Bass role.

I'm not quite as optimistic as Zubac immediately contributing on offense, but I sure hope I'm wrong!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
tox wrote:

Tarik does have a niche, if only as a mobile (relative to Moz/ Zu) rim runner. It's basically the Brandon Bass role.

I'm not quite as optimistic as Zubac immediately contributing on offense, but I sure hope I'm wrong!

I agree with both points, Black does bring the rim running game that Mozgov and Zubac do not have. And I don't see Zubac contributing anytime soon, I think he gets the chance to learn the NBA game and maybe even play in the D League before he gets much time with the Lakers.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Zubac is 19. There is no reason to rush his development. I think Yi and Black will get priority minutes over Zubac. Zubac is nice insurance if Moz get injured though which could be likely.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Zubac is 19. There is no reason to rush his development. I think Yi and Black will get priority minutes over Zubac. Zubac is nice insurance if Moz get injured though which could be likely.
My point is that it's not about fan expectations. The Lakers are rushing his development, whether we like it or not.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm not expecting much from Zubac outside of some time in the DLeague and mop up minutes in blowouts. If we are out of it with 5-10 games left in the season, I would like to see what he could do with extended playing time (16-24MPG)
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
My point is that it's not about fan expectations. The Lakers are rushing his development, whether we like it or not.

Yea I don't agree. I don't see how they're rushing his development at all. They even signed yi we have 4 centers now, I don't see zubac playing much this season. IMO he plays the same role sacre has had for us in the past, at least this season. Mozgov will start and average just over 20mpg, black will play primary backup and prolly play the most mins on average of all our centers, yi and zubacs will spilt the rest pending matchups and who's hot. Just my opinion
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
tox wrote:

I agree with both points, Black does bring the rim running game that Mozgov and Zubac do not have. And I don't see Zubac contributing anytime soon, I think he gets the chance to learn the NBA game and maybe even play in the D League before he gets much time with the Lakers.

Well, maybe it's just me, but I found Zubac more polished than Julius, Nance and Russell in their first summer league. He may have some problem defending the pick n roll, but we can say the same about our guards. I believe he can handle 12 to 16 minutes a game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I guess that depends on the definition of "rushing". It seems they are enabling his development, same as they are with the other young players. If you want to call that "rushing", then knock yourself out.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

Capt. Obvious comment:

If Zubac looks anything in the preseason like he did in Summer League, which is better than anything Black can do, then Luke will have to play him.

That that is a long shot since he'll be facing real NBA talent. But you also never know until Zubac goes out on the floor, smiles at his opponent like the villian 'Jaws' from the old 007 movies, and starts to dominate.

We will have to wait and see.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I guess that depends on the definition of "rushing". It seems they are enabling his development, same as they are with the other young players. If you want to call that "rushing", then knock yourself out.

Exactly. It's not rushing his development. They're just giving him access to everything he needs to develop. You can't exactly do that when someone is on another continent, especially when the people responsible for it haven't had any interaction with him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

They looked at his spl competency and saw his soft marshmallow body and heard things like "I never really worked out before" and then told his butt to come to LA and get proper physical training.

Then they went out and signed 33 centers.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
tox wrote:

Well, maybe it's just me, but I found Zubac more polished than Julius, Nance and Russell in their first summer league. He may have some problem defending the pick n roll, but we can say the same about our guards. I believe he can handle 12 to 16 minutes a game.

He was, but I don't think it matters. It's summer league. Teams don't have the personnel to adjust for your strengths and to take advantage of your weaknesses. Well, the Cavs already started to. Once teams realize how reliant he is on his RH, they'll take advantage. He'll probably be foul-prone as well. (That midrange jump shot looks pure, though.)

The "Well other players' defense are lacking so we'll just excuse it for any individual player" excuse is getting old here. Fact is that we can't just disregard it if there are players who can play the PnR better --- regardless of how good are guards are at it.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Exactly. It's not rushing his development. They're just giving him access to everything he needs to develop. You can't exactly do that when someone is on another continent, especially when the people responsible for it haven't had any interaction with him.

This isn't necessarily true, as players will typically take a lot more time off than just 7 days. It's a long off-season and there is plenty of time to get up to speed. The rationale in this particular case was that they had felt he was more ready than initially thought -- he was a big unknown prior to the SL and they would have put him on the backburner if not for his rim protection abilities. The offensive touch was just icing on the cake.

To them, it was evident the SL performance vindicated the "rushing", if you even want to call it that. If he can play, he can play. It's not like Luke will hold him back just because lakersground feels like he's a "prospect". He says that even Tarik hasn't been able to push him around in practice, which is a good indication of his strength. The justification is pretty simple and it has nothing to do with his age. Even then, the assessment from Luke prior to the SL was that he'd be able to contribute immediately.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

This isn't necessarily true, as players will typically take a lot more time off than just 7 days. It's a long off-season and there is plenty of time to get up to speed. The rationale in this particular case was that they had felt he was more ready than initially thought -- he was a big unknown prior to the SL and they would have put him on the backburner if not for his rim protection abilities. The offensive touch was just icing on the cake.

To them, it was evident the SL performance vindicated the "rushing", if you even want to call it that. If he can play, he can play. It's not like Luke will hold him back just because lakersground feels like he's a "prospect". He says that even Tarik hasn't been able to push him around in practice, which is a good indication of his strength. The justification is pretty simple and it has nothing to do with his age. Even then, the assessment from Luke prior to the SL was that he'd be able to contribute immediately.
The Lakers were able to draft Zubac because they took his abilities more serious than other teams did. Is there any reason to think Jim doesn't want or intend to rush Zubac's development considering that his sister has him on the clock to make this team productive? If someone wants to downplay what it means to effectively tell a guy "get your passport done and be here in 7 days....before spl, and stay here working from the time it ends until the season begins 3 1/2 months later," then I guess that's your truth.

It amazes me when people equate Zubac to Sacre. There's zero comparison between the 27 year old's lack of skills and the exceptional skill level of the 19 y/o who took his job, except that they are centers.

Black is a hustler with athletic ability, but he was undrafted and released from his original team for a reason. He's undersized, hasn't displayed any dependable offensive ability to speak of, and therefore he doesn't fit as a pf in their system. So far, the best we can say about him against talented big guys is that he will compete. His meaningful minutes in the rotation will likely contribute greatly to correct guesses by those who believe this is a 25-30 win team at best.

I don't want to anoint Zubac or give him any credit he doesn't reasonably deserve. I understand that he's 19, but I'm not writing him off just because of that. He has pro experience, heart, desire and work ethic, height, size, and ability that we all saw with our own eyes. I've expressed my opinion often so there's no need to battle mine vs anyone elses, but a man who can shoot in 1 league over an outstreched hand, will do the same in the next league when he sees another outstreched hand. He passed spl with flying colors and now people are saying it means nothing and relagating him to Sacre status. Sacre, Clarkson, Kelly, Randle, Russell, Nance, or Upshaw, did nothing special in their first summer leagues. Ingram, ok, not so good, and good. Okafor wasn't great in his spl appearance and I don't remember anything overly special about young Towns last year (feel free to tell me I'm wrong if there's info to prove it).

Rushing him isn't the issue. It's judging what we know so far. The reason I say people are sleeping on him is because they've seen him display skills that others haven't, then nitpick his game and point to his age and the league he played in. As I said before, Shaq's career high was against famous Clipper centers such as Keith (who?) Closs, but nobody downplays that. I coud care less that Zubac only outplayed summer competition. It's what he was supposed to do and he looked good doing it.

Last and not least, the Lakers will have a rebounding advantage against most bigs when he's on the court. You can't say that about Black and Yi.

Luke will play whoever is going to help the team win the most games. We'll soon get a clue who that's going to be starting with "Real training camps" (or whatever it's called) this Wednesday.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 64 of 290
Jump to: