Which player(s) need(s) to develop what ability for this team to overachieve?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
Clarkson - average defense at his position and 40% from 3
Russell - limit turnovers, great pick and roll play and average defense
Randle - outside shot, better inside outside passing, limit concentration lapses both on offense and defense
Ingram - show great defensive potential and outside shot
Mozgov and Deng - stay healthy
Zubac - earn around 15 backup minutes
Nance - great defense, outside shot, can initiate offense
Brown - lock down defender and decent 3 poi t shooter ( 34%)

Limiting turnovers is also one of the keys for Russell I don't see people posting enough.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Randle - outside shooting
Clarkson - lockdown defense
Russell - lockdown defense
Mozgov - shotblocking
Deng - passing
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
If I had to pick one thing I'd say Russell's playmaking. I expect him to come back and improved scorer, but if he can show us more of the playmaking we saw in college it will make a big difference. Luke's system seems to be a good fit for him, I expect a big season out of him.

Yeah. I picked Clarkson's D because I think, as a team need, that's what we're most sorely lacking, and will move the needle the farthest, but I'm really waiting to see this special ability to deliver the basketball that was so hyped finally begin to surface. I don't think there's any way he gets selected #2 overall just for his shooting and scoring.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

This one is easy, Clarkson, Russell and Randle have to play some defense because the way they did it last season will not bring a lot of wins.

Playmaking is also a must. Clarkson regressed from his rookie season and Russell is miles away from the "savant" he was mistakenly advised.

Veteran production and health is another factor.

Overachieving shouldn't be that difficult if we take into account most experts have us finishing dead last or close.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Dang, [b]just one player?[b/] That's tough because it could come from so many. Russell's the most important cog, and simply having a green light and averaging 24/8 with decent defense would be great. Problem is I don't think he has much improving to do to get to this point. Just no parking brake.

Brandon Ingram on the other hand - if he reached his 4 year potential this year, combined with Russell - wow would we be an exciting team to watch. Deadly shooting and ability to split the seams with a PG like Russell feeding him and keeping a defense reeling. He's already capable of creating problems on defense. I'd pick Ingram tearing apart defenses as a scoring threat inside and out.

Still.... Zubac morphing into a seven foot one superman with a skyhook thanks to Grass Fed Tim, Julius Randle turning into a BB genius, Nance Jr. dangerous from long range, Clarkson with stifling defense, ABrown killing any team who dares leave him open, Tarik Black with 6 inches more vert....

The bolded portion caused me to change the title.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lewis wrote:
Randle - outside shot, better inside outside passing, limit concentration lapses both on offense and defense

Limiting turnovers is also one of the keys for Russell I don't see people posting enough.

I don't really worry about that with DLO.
Of course he needs to improve his Assist/TO ratio. But in the future, on broken plays, I expect him to force a contested shot instead of forcing a bad pass.
He already has a penchant for unassisted 3s. Something he shares with chef Curry.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Dribble penetration and 10 assists/game for Russell. We need a Nash type player who can make his team mates better.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
lewis wrote:

Of course he needs to improve his Assist/TO ratio. But in the future, on broken plays, I expect him to force a contested shot instead of forcing a bad pass.
He already has a penchant for unassisted 3s. Something he shares with chef Curry.

True. But a lot of his turnovers come from carelessness or just not making an accurate pass for his big men to get. Hopefully he becomes more CP3-like in terms of precise execution, since he has the vision and skills.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
very simple...if ingram and young can reliably hit open threes, we will be surprisingly good.

Interesting take. I would add Randle hitting mid range to even three point shots. If that guy can do that, his post up and driving to the basket game will take off.

DLO is already highly skilled. With the two players you mentioned and randle playing well, DLO's skills will shine.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
lewis wrote:

True. But a lot of his turnovers come from carelessness or just not making an accurate pass for his big men to get. Hopefully he becomes more CP3-like in terms of precise execution, since he has the vision and skills.

Once he develops PG like ball handling skills the turnovers should be cut by half. Learning to make an entry pass and the lob pass would help him too and as he matures he will start to make simple plays with his good vision. Fancy passes looks great, but there is a higher amount of risk when you try a no look pass between 5 players. Not just the risk of making a bad pass, but your teammates may not be ready for such a superior court vision too.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
One of the young players need to turn into a superstar.

People view the young core as a future playoff team so I should have just asked whose game needs to change for that to happen?

I would say Randle.

Yeah, it's randle.

Clarkson is pretty much maxing his abilities...he's not that talented. DLO is getting there...Ingram needs a year or two to let the game slow down and to put on 20 lbs of muscle.

For us to overachieve, Randle is the key. He will need to have developed a mid range shot, he will need to stop trying to be Lebron on both his drives to the basket and on the fast break and have developed much better footwork and instincts on Defense for us to really overachieve THIS year. I'm not very hopefully with him, for a guy who has made it this far to have put so little work into his off hand is very telling as to his commitment to his craft.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
i keep hearig people talking like this. i don't get the mystery with randle. it's pretty clear to me what to expect from him. randle is what he is...a hustle/muscle player. that's it. he's never going to do something like what ibaka did and start burying threes and stuff, he doesn't have that in him.... i guess there is some mystery for those hoping he will become a good shooter and turn into a draymond green type. well, don't get your hopes up. never in a million years.

I can't agree with you here. While it may wind up being correct, it's WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to make that kind of prediction. You are talking about a 21 year old player with one year of experience. If he works hard on that aspect he will likely improve it. The level at which he can improve it though is a mystery, and it will likely take some time. That having been said the choices you choose as examples are good illustrations of why he could improve.

Ibaka for example didn't start shooting threes until his fourth season, at age 23, and he didn't start taking them regularly (above 0.7 per game) until his 5th season, at age 25. Green came into the league older than Randle is now, and shot 20.9% from 3 as a rookie (and 32.7% from the field overall). He shot 33.3% in his second season from 3 (and 40.7% from the field), 33.7% from 3 in his third season (at age 24) and 44.3% overall making a big leap last summer to 38.8% from 3p and 49% overall. Players who work hard can show big improvement. Of course some other guys work hard and just never show it. That can certainly happen. But it's far from a certainty either way.

i'm calling it now then, just to point at this in like 5 years or whatever. randle will NEVER become a reliable 3point shooter. but if he works hard, he can be a reliable open mid-range maker. He will NEVER come close to zach randolph or cousins levels either.

i think he's just basically another lebron. he can do all the same exact things, looks the same, same game, same everything. use your muscle, get the calls, focus on stats not performance...rebound and block everything.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
i keep hearig people talking like this. i don't get the mystery with randle. it's pretty clear to me what to expect from him. randle is what he is...a hustle/muscle player. that's it. he's never going to do something like what ibaka did and start burying threes and stuff, he doesn't have that in him.... i guess there is some mystery for those hoping he will become a good shooter and turn into a draymond green type. well, don't get your hopes up. never in a million years.

I can't agree with you here. While it may wind up being correct, it's WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to make that kind of prediction. You are talking about a 21 year old player with one year of experience. If he works hard on that aspect he will likely improve it. The level at which he can improve it though is a mystery, and it will likely take some time. That having been said the choices you choose as examples are good illustrations of why he could improve.

Ibaka for example didn't start shooting threes until his fourth season, at age 23, and he didn't start taking them regularly (above 0.7 per game) until his 5th season, at age 25. Green came into the league older than Randle is now, and shot 20.9% from 3 as a rookie (and 32.7% from the field overall). He shot 33.3% in his second season from 3 (and 40.7% from the field), 33.7% from 3 in his third season (at age 24) and 44.3% overall making a big leap last summer to 38.8% from 3p and 49% overall. Players who work hard can show big improvement. Of course some other guys work hard and just never show it. That can certainly happen. But it's far from a certainty either way.

i'm calling it now then, just to point at this in like 5 years or whatever. randle will NEVER become a reliable 3point shooter. but if he works hard, he can be a reliable open mid-range maker. He will NEVER come close to zach randolph or cousins levels either.

i think he's just basically another lebron. he can do all the same exact things, looks the same, same game, same everything. use your muscle, get the calls, focus on stats not performance...rebound and block everything.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: