The Exorcist (Tv Show)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Exorcist (Tv Show)

Anyone else catch this the other night? The movie terrified me and my kids have been (kind of) begging me to let them watch it. But, I don't think they are ready for it, not to mention the material is way too intense for them. The TV show is a nice segue I suppose....

But this pilot episode was pretty good. Acting was surprisingly good as well and there were some pretty creepy moments. Its available to stream on the Fox website. I encourage anyone with any slight interest in the horror genre to check it out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I saw the original movie TV when I was 6 or so and Linda Blair's head spin left me traumatized for years afterwards. I still can't believe my parents let me watch it. I might have to check this series out. Never even heard of it before now.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

I watched that when it re-released in theaters about 15 years ago. I was a grown azz man and it STILL scarred me. Scariest. Movie. Ever
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I tried watching it (the show), but lost interest about 15 minutes in.

For a much creepier show I recommend Outcast.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
I watched that when it re-released in theaters about 15 years ago. I was a grown azz man and it STILL scarred me. Scariest. Movie. Ever
Do know if they removed anything in the re-released version? I know they added the crawling down the stairs scene. For some reason when I watched the re-released version I wasn't as petrified as when I saw the original version. Could just be because I'm older.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I caught the original at a theater in Atlanta. There were a bunch of church goers out there protesting just to add to the festive atmosphere. My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the projectile vomiting scenes. Probably helped that the experience was enhanced by a couple orange barrels.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject:

For those who have not read the original book, I highly recommend it. As far as the TV show, I watched the first episode and I am waiting to see how it unfolds before passing judgement.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I saw the original movie TV when I was 6 or so and Linda Blair's head spin left me traumatized for years afterwards. I still can't believe my parents let me watch it. I might have to check this series out. Never even heard of it before now.

This thread is coincidental because I saw this commercial during the debate I think and I instantly saw a resemblance to this girl and Regan before she was taken over by Pazuzu. She looks like a slightly younger Linda Blair as she was in that movie.

The orginal Exorcist and TX Chainsaw are two the top three horror films of all time. In 1973 and 1974, those movies must've been so utterly shocking to average moviegoers. Now, they're both pure pop culture and tame by today's standards, but back then, they were among the boldest of films regardless of genre/content save for film from masters like Kubrick and Marty (Taxi Driver, etc). The 70s were just an amazing decade for film in general. Both Chainsaw and Exorcist were exploitation films to a large degree, but it is odd that movies of that ilk were so well-designed and executed in the effort to disturb viewers. Chainsaw is considered by many to be a postmodern art film and I agree. It's in the permanent film collection at the MoMA in NY. It's a blatant example of the type of movie that intellectuals, Andy Warhol art types, film snobs, and gore freaks adore. The grubby aesthetic look, the composition of various shots, and a few scenes which are so dreadful that you actually root for the characters to escape. It's too bad that Tobe Hooper was more or less a one-hit wonder, although Salem's Lot was made excellent by his style of direction and his morbid scenery. Very creepy depiction of the vampire genre, which was old hat by then.

As far as Exorcist, it never fails to wow me in terms of its approach in portraying Regan as the devil's minion or whatever. It's very mundane and has the feel of a quality film, which you don't expect out of a horror movie of that type. When you think about it, those bed scenes with her were so over the top that they could've easily made the movie completely ridiculous, but beyond that, it was an actual film with a great deal of patience and character development, which is a dead artform in Hollywood today (as dead as the hookshot in hoops post Magic). The pacing in certain parts, especially the scenes with the detective, was very slow, which is also a no-no today. The intensity of Jason Miller (Karras) and frazzled Ellen Burstyn made the other demonic stuff acceptable as reality. Suspension of disbelief was very easy to achieve, and with that, they didn't pull any punches in portraying her as a disrespectful little hellspawn, haha. She was off the chain, yo. The crucifix scene and forcing her mom's face down, etc. My favorite aspect is the 3 voices overlayed on each other as the demon speaks thru her. I like when they play the audio backwards and she says "Fear the priest!" Playing audio backwards for hidden messages was very much of the time (Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc).
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

This thread is coincidental because I saw this commercial during the debate I think and I instantly saw a resemblance to this girl and Regan before she was taken over by Pazuzu. She looks like a slightly younger Linda Blair as she was in that movie.

The orginal Exorcist and TX Chainsaw are two the top three horror films of all time. In 1973 and 1974, those movies must've been so utterly shocking to average moviegoers. Now, they're both pure pop culture and tame by today's standards, but back then, they were among the boldest of films regardless of genre/content save for film from masters like Kubrick and Marty (Taxi Driver, etc). The 70s were just an amazing decade for film in general. Both Chainsaw and Exorcist were exploitation films to a large degree, but it is odd that movies of that ilk were so well-designed and executed in the effort to disturb viewers. Chainsaw is considered by many to be a postmodern art film and I agree. It's in the permanent film collection at the MoMA in NY. It's a blatant example of the type of movie that intellectuals, Andy Warhol art types, film snobs, and gore freaks adore. The grubby aesthetic look, the composition of various shots, and a few scenes which are so dreadful that you actually root for the characters to escape. It's too bad that Tobe Hooper was more or less a one-hit wonder, although Salem's Lot was made excellent by his style of direction and his morbid scenery. Very creepy depiction of the vampire genre, which was old hat by then.

As far as Exorcist, it never fails to wow me in terms of its approach in portraying Regan as the devil's minion or whatever. It's very mundane and has the feel of a quality film, which you don't expect out of a horror movie of that type. When you think about it, those bed scenes with her were so over the top that they could've easily made the movie completely ridiculous, but beyond that, it was an actual film with a great deal of patience and character development, which is a dead artform in Hollywood today (as dead as the hookshot in hoops post Magic). The pacing in certain parts, especially the scenes with the detective, was very slow, which is also a no-no today. The intensity of Jason Miller (Karras) and frazzled Ellen Burstyn made the other demonic stuff acceptable as reality. Suspension of disbelief was very easy to achieve, and with that, they didn't pull any punches in portraying her as a disrespectful little hellspawn, haha. She was off the chain, yo. The crucifix scene and forcing her mom's face down, etc. My favorite aspect is the 3 voices overlayed on each other as the demon speaks thru her. I like when they play the audio backwards and she says "Fear the priest!" Playing audio backwards for hidden messages was very much of the time (Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc).

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've only ever seen bits and pieces of TCM.

But that voice and that face in Exorcist is completely terrifying to me. No other film has come close to matching that sense of dread in that house.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

"Your mother sews socks that smell". SNL version.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: