Scientists Create Frankenstein Baby to Save Life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Scientists Create Frankenstein Baby to Save Life

Quote:
Scientists say the first baby has been born from a controversial new technique that combines DNA from three people — the mother, the father and an egg donor.

The goal was to prevent the child from inheriting a fatal genetic disease from his mother, who had previously lost two children to the illness.

The magazine New Scientist, which first reported the birth, said the baby was born five months ago to Jordanian parents, and that they were treated in Mexico by a team led by Dr. John Zhang of the New Hope Fertility Center in New York. It’s not clear where the child was born.

The technique is not approved in the United States, but Zhang told the magazine, “To save lives is the ethical thing to do.”

The mother carries DNA that could have given her child Leigh syndrome, a severe neurological disorder that usually kills within a few years of birth. Her two previous children died of the disease at 8 months and 6 years, the research summary said.

The technique involved removing some of the mother’s DNA from an egg, and leaving the disease-causing DNA behind. The healthy DNA was slipped into a donor’s egg, which was then fertilized. As a result, the baby inherited DNA from both parents and the egg donor.

People carry DNA in two places, the nucleus of the cell and in features called mitochondria, which lie outside the nucleus. The technique is designed to transfer only DNA of the nucleus to the donor egg, separating it from the mother’s disease-causing mitochondrial DNA.

The research summary identified the mother as a 36-year-old woman and said her pregnancy was uneventful. One of the five eggs the researchers treated was suitable for use.

Critics question the technique’s safety, saying children would have to be tracked for decades to make sure they remain healthy. And they say it passes a fundamental scientific boundary by altering the DNA inherited by future generations. Mitochondrial DNA is passed from women to their offspring.

FrankenBaby
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Thread title is so misleading, what a let down. I was really hoping to read about a baby being stitched together with parts of other babies...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Thread title is so misleading, what a let down. I was really hoping to read about a baby being stitched together with parts of other babies...

Aussie does it all the time. He has a very fertile imagination.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

I was thinking only mutilated babies would get my mind off the disaster I watched last night.

Woe is me..
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

I was thinking only mutilated babies would get my mind off the disaster I watched last night.

Woe is me..

I've been reading posts about last night. Seems as though I'm in a minority that that thinks Hillary did fine. She had a game plan and ran it to a Trump was exposed.

She'll do fine as Madam President. She has a strong team to advise her.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Woe is me..

I've been reading posts about last night. Seems as though I'm in a minority that that thinks Hillary did fine. She had a game plan and ran it to a Trump was exposed.

Oh no she did great imho. Trying to get 90 minutes of that other guy out of my head is the difficult thing. Was just tragic and difficult to watch. I'd almost rather watch frankenbaby eat other babies then spend another 90 minutes looking at that man's face.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Woe is me..

Oh no she did great imho. Trying to get 90 minutes of that other guy out of my head is the difficult thing. Was just tragic and difficult to watch. I'd almost rather watch frankenbaby eat other babies then spend another 90 minutes looking at that man's face.

Did you notice his makeover? He combed his har and lost the lobster look.

lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:

Woe is me..

Did you notice his makeover? He combed his har and lost the lobster look.

Gawd, all I can see when I close my eyes is his ugly snorting mug....

Not even this helps.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: