Another Black man shot and killed by police
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
why does it have to be cop shooting "black men" as you so brilliantly titled your thread. Why can't it just be "cops shoot another innocent man."

do 3 seconds of research and you'd know why.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Black on black crime, no one gives a (bleep). Cop kills a black man........well, you know the rest.

People care about both.
But, yes. Police are held to a higher standard than criminals.
Are you arguing they shouldn't be?

If you're saying people should care more about homicidal crime. That's fair.
But if you're saying people should care less about police killing unarmed African-Americans. That's kinda sociopathic.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Black on black crime, no one gives a (bleep). Cop kills a black man........well, you know the rest.

Who supports black on black crime? Are you saying that people are ok with blacks killing other blacks and don't want them to be punished for it?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
An unarmed black man fatally shot by police in El Cajon, Calif., Tuesday pointed a vape smoking device at them, police said in a statement Wednesday night.

Police also positively identified the man as Alfred Okwera Olango, the name under which he has been identified by some media organizations. He was 38-years-old, based on information they received from the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office, and not 30, as was indicated by police initially.

Police shot and killed Olango in this suburb of San Diego after responding to a call of a man behaving erratically and walking in traffic.

The vape smoking device had a silver cylinder that was three inches long and one inch wide, police said. The electronic cigarette was collected as evidence from the scene, according to the statement.

Suspect Killed For Brandishing a Menacing Vape

Vape
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
An unarmed black man fatally shot by police in El Cajon, Calif., Tuesday pointed a vape smoking device at them, police said in a statement Wednesday night.

Police also positively identified the man as Alfred Okwera Olango, the name under which he has been identified by some media organizations. He was 38-years-old, based on information they received from the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office, and not 30, as was indicated by police initially.

Police shot and killed Olango in this suburb of San Diego after responding to a call of a man behaving erratically and walking in traffic.

The vape smoking device had a silver cylinder that was three inches long and one inch wide, police said. The electronic cigarette was collected as evidence from the scene, according to the statement.

Vape

It looked like a gun (to some). They only had 3 seconds to make a decision.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Vape

They must have thought it was a James Bond gun with how small that is.

So they're going to release a still image but not the entire video? I honestly don't know how anyone can trust the police with that type of manipulation.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
why does it have to be cop shooting "black men" as you so brilliantly titled your thread. Why can't it just be "cops shoot another innocent man."

On the one hand, has there been a case of a white cop killing an innocent black man, where the general consensus was that it was not race related?

On the other, have there been many cases of a black cop killing an innocent black man? Doesn't seem to be very common. The offending cops do often seem to be non-black.

If we can't find a case for the first question, does that mean it has never actually happened?

I will say one thing I find interesting as someone who is part asian. When a white cop kills a black man, he is racist. When an asian cop kills a black man, he is incompetent. Specifically, I'm referring to the asian cop in NY who killed the unarmed black man. That incident didnt have the same racial undertones as we see with cases involving white cops.

So while I do believe our prejudices play a big role in why we see these sad and unjust killings of black men by cops, I also believe our prejudices play a role in the reasons we presume were the driving factor behind the actions.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Don't panic, this was just a black guy police shooting that got rained out last month...they were just making up for it yesterday.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

On the one hand, has there been a case of a white cop killing an innocent black man, where the general consensus was that it was not race related?

On the other, have there been many cases of a black cop killing an innocent black man? Doesn't seem to be very common. The offending cops do often seem to be non-black.

If we can't find a case for the first question, does that mean it has never actually happened?

I will say one thing I find interesting as someone who is part asian. When a white cop kills a black man, he is racist. When an asian cop kills a black man, he is incompetent. Specifically, I'm referring to the asian cop in NY who killed the unarmed black man. That incident didnt have the same racial undertones as we see with cases involving white cops.

So while I do believe our prejudices play a big role in why we see these sad and unjust killings of black men by cops, I also believe our prejudices play a role in the reasons we presume were the driving factor behind the actions.

That was a case of a judge reducing the jury's conviction to criminally negligent.

LINK

Quote:
Judge Danny Chun reduced the jury's conviction to criminally negligent homicide. Chun sentenced Liang to five years probation and 800 hours of community service

He got off light.

Side note:
Watching Empire tonight. Cops jacked Andre, didn't look like he belonged in the White neighborhood. When they threw him to the ground, first thing they said "Stop resisting" something he wasn't doing.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Damn. This one I can see both sides.
I wish the responding officer found a way to restrain the victim, immediately. Since he was mentally challenged and the sister was worried enough to call the cops. Just restrain him quickly and don't create a standoff situation that the mentally challenged victim won't understand.

On the other side.
From what I've read, the officers had to take the sister at her word (that he wasn't armed).
Which is a life and death risk (once the standoff situation has started). Tough to not pull the trigger if you genuinely think a person is drawing a gun on you. You could get shot waiting the split second to make sure it isn't a gun.
As a black man in so Cal, there isn't enough drugs or alcohol in the world i could consume that would make me think the following was a good idea. (1) hide my hands, (2) quickly remove them out of my pockets holding objects in my hand, and (3) impersonate drawing a gun on a cop.
That's suicide by cop.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

That was a case of a judge reducing the jury's conviction to criminally negligent.

LINK

Quote:
Judge Danny Chun reduced the jury's conviction to criminally negligent homicide. Chun sentenced Liang to five years probation and 800 hours of community service

He got off light.

Side note:
Watching Empire tonight. Cops jacked Andre, didn't look like he belonged in the White neighborhood. When they threw him to the ground, first thing they said "Stop resisting" something he wasn't doing.

Yah I know what happened there, I'm just pointing out that there wasn't the same degree of discussion around the role of race in that case. And the cop was Asian.

Any thoughts on why people weren't having the race discussion there?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

LINK

Quote:

He got off light.

Side note:

Yah I know what happened there, I'm just pointing out that there wasn't the same degree of discussion around the role of race in that case. And the cop was Asian.

No real thoughts, a comparison.

When a Black officer shot a Black man race wasn't the dominate topic. Maybe because it's been mostly White policemen shooting Blacks. Other races seem to be aberrations.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

LINK

Quote:

He got off light.

Side note:

No real thoughts, a comparison.

When a Black officer shot a Black man race wasn't the dominate topic. Maybe because it's been mostly White policemen shooting Blacks. Other races seem to be aberrations.

Ahem, there's also that little issue of the fact that this country doesn't have a documented multi century history of Asians killing Black people.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

1 hour to respond. 1 minute to kill. http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/09/29/police-took-over-1-hour-to-respond-about-1-minute-to-shoot-man-in-el-cajon/

Quote:
Olango’s relatives demanded the full video be released, according to Dan Gilleon, a lawyer who says he is representing the family.

“They’re cherry-picking part of the video,” Gilleon said. “This is exactly what police have said is unfair when only portions of video are released against them.”

My thoughts exactly. They have the full video but are only going to release a single frame? Cherry picking on a whole nother level. That's dishonesty, and doesn't paint them in a pretty picture.

And why the hell would the witness just offer up the video to the police? What the (bleep)? There are people there saying the police went around and collected everyone's phones. That would make more sense than someone just willingly approaching the cops and offering them their phone. "Oh I see you just gunned down that unarmed man. Here's possibly the only evidence of what you did, do what you will with it. I trust you."

Yeah, okay.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
1 hour to respond. 1 minute to kill. http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/09/29/police-took-over-1-hour-to-respond-about-1-minute-to-shoot-man-in-el-cajon/

Quote:
Olango’s relatives demanded the full video be released, according to Dan Gilleon, a lawyer who says he is representing the family.

“They’re cherry-picking part of the video,” Gilleon said. “This is exactly what police have said is unfair when only portions of video are released against them.”

My thoughts exactly. They have the full video but are only going to release a single frame? Cherry picking on a whole nother level. That's dishonesty, and doesn't paint them in a pretty picture.

And why the hell would the witness just offer up the video to the police? What the (bleep)? There are people there saying the police went around and collected everyone's phones. That would make more sense than someone just willingly approaching the cops and offering them their phone. "Oh I see you just gunned down that unarmed man. Here's possibly the only evidence of what you did, do what you will with it. I trust you."

Yeah, okay.

it may be that the department confiscated all the cellular phones. I do not think that is significant. The significance is what, if anything, does the video show.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

it may be that the department confiscated all the cellular phones. I do not think that is significant. The significance is what, if anything, does the video show.

They claim the person approached them and just offered them the phone, like some kind of good citizen. If they confiscated all the phones(can they do that?), why not just admit to doing it?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

If I was a witness and they told me to give them my phone and I said no what will/can they legally do to me? Without bullying me or making (bleep) up
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

Again make the victim a villain. Release his record, only bits and piece's of the video showing him being killed.
Quote:
Olango, 38, arrived in the U.S. years ago as a refugee from Uganda. Since then he ran afoul of the law several times: selling cocaine, driving drunk, and illegally possessing a 9mm semi-automatic handgun when he was arrested in Colorado in 2005 with pot and ecstasy in his car, according to court records. He pleaded guilty in federal court and was sentenced to nearly four years for being a felon in possession of a gun

Information on the officers
Quote:
Police have not named the officers involved, though Wells said both were 21-year veterans and one was Officer Richard Gonsalves.

Gonsalves was demoted last year after allegations that he sexually harassed a lesbian colleague. The City Council had to defend the move to angry citizens who had called for him to be fired.

According to Aussie it's against police policy to release discipline of officers. Was this a case of public record or do as they choose?

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

If they can dirty the victim enough they can high five each other and shout "good kill"

Their job is to protect and serve not become criminals
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

Again make the victim a villain. Release his record, only bits and piece's of the video showing him being killed.
Quote:
Olango, 38, arrived in the U.S. years ago as a refugee from Uganda. Since then he ran afoul of the law several times: selling cocaine, driving drunk, and illegally possessing a 9mm semi-automatic handgun when he was arrested in Colorado in 2005 with pot and ecstasy in his car, according to court records. He pleaded guilty in federal court and was sentenced to nearly four years for being a felon in possession of a gun

Quote:
Police have not named the officers involved, though Wells said both were 21-year veterans and one was Officer Richard Gonsalves.

Gonsalves was demoted last year after allegations that he sexually harassed a lesbian colleague. The City Council had to defend the move to angry citizens who had called for him to be fired.

According to Aussie it's against police policy to release discipline of officers. Is this a case of police doing as they choose?

His records were involved in a Sexual Harrassment lawsuit against the city and were released pursuant to becoming public record in that lawsuit:

Quote:

Gonsalves was a sergeant when Christine Greer sued him and the city last year. She alleged that Gonsalves repeatedly made unwanted sexual advances, which included texting her a photo of his penis and on another occasion texting that he was drunk and wanted to have three-way sex with Greer and her wife.

The lawsuit also contended that Gonsalves harassed other women.

After two investigations, Gonsalves was demoted from sergeant to officer, but he was allowed to remain on the force. That decision angered some citizens who said Gonsalves should have been fired.

But City Manager Douglas Williford stood by the decision. "It's entirely possible that a judge or a jury at some point in the future may disagree with the city's decision, and obviously the city will defend its decision with the utmost vigor," Williford told the City Council at a meeting where speakers called for Gonsalves to be dismissed.

Greer's lawsuit was settled months later. But she filed a second lawsuit this August.

Greer contends that she faced retaliation from male colleagues and had been forced to work in the presence of Gonsalves.

The lawsuit also alleges that Gonsalves has harassed Greer by spitting on her locker and following her down a hallway, said her attorney, Dan Gilleon.

City Refused To Fire Crappy Cop. Now He's Killed Somebody

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
If they can dirty the victim enough they can high five each other and shout "good kill"

Their job is to protect and serve not become criminals

Police and DAs have shown time and time again that arrest records can't be trusted. If they're unlawfully arresting someone and fabricating evidence now, what makes you think they didn't do it in the past when the person was originally arrested?

Arrest records(though completely irrelevant in cases like these) should be something that the public can trust. Police and DAs have lost that trust, at least for me.

I just read an article about how authorities conspired to put an innocent man away. He spent 20 years in prison, and just won a 15m settlement over the wrongful conviction.

How many times does visual evidence contradict police statements? And when that visual evidence isn't present, what can the innocent do besides just take it? They've corrupted the system and now you can't even tell who is really innocent and who is really guilty.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Corey78 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

They claim the person approached them and just offered them the phone, like some kind of good citizen. If they confiscated all the phones(can they do that?), why not just admit to doing it?

I see. Whether or not they subsequently confiscated the phones, should have no bearing on the antecedent shooting. The phones do not affect the lawfulness or unlawfulness of shooting; the video on the phone would though, however.

I'm not sure whether the person offered them the phone. I don't know how the phone ended up with the department. Given that no video has been released to my knowledge, if multiple videos were taken, it does seem possible that the department may have done something.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

Quote:

Quote:

According to Aussie it's against police policy to release discipline of officers. Is this a case of police doing as they choose?

His records were involved in a Sexual Harrassment lawsuit against the city and were released pursuant to becoming public record in that lawsuit:

Quote:

Gonsalves was a sergeant when Christine Greer sued him and the city last year. She alleged that Gonsalves repeatedly made unwanted sexual advances, which included texting her a photo of his (private man parts) and on another occasion texting that he was drunk and wanted to have three-way sex with Greer and her wife.

After two investigations, Gonsalves was demoted from sergeant to officer, but he was allowed to remain on the force. That decision angered some citizens who said Gonsalves should have been fired.

But City Manager Douglas Williford stood by the decision. "It's entirely possible that a judge or a jury at some point in the future may disagree with the city's decision, and obviously the city will defend its decision with the utmost vigor," Williford told the City Council at a meeting where speakers called for Gonsalves to be dismissed.

Greer's lawsuit was settled months later. But she filed a second lawsuit this August.

Greer contends that she faced retaliation from male colleagues and had been forced to work in the presence of Gonsalves.

The lawsuit also alleges that Gonsalves has harassed Greer by spitting on her locker and following her down a hallway, said her attorney, Dan Gilleon.

They've become the Catholic Church. Shield their bad apples from accountability, and just move them around. Then when (bleep) hits the fan, stonewall.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, okay.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gonsalves was a sergeant when Christine Greer sued him and the city last year. She alleged that Gonsalves repeatedly made unwanted sexual advances, which included texting her a photo of his (private man parts) and on another occasion texting that he was drunk and wanted to have three-way sex with Greer and her wife.

Thanks I caught that. Made a edit. Must have crossed in the mail with your post.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A man shot and killed by police in El Cajon, California, was not mentally ill but was having a breakdown over the death of a close friend during his encounter with police, his mother said Thursday.

“He did not do anything; he had no gun; he was not mental,” explained Pamela Benge, the mother of Alfred Olango at a news conference

Quote:
Alfred was not mentally ill. He was going through a mental emergency – a mental breakdown – because he had lost someone he loved dearly. We all go through a bad day,”

He argued that police are trying to paint Olango as a man suffering from a long-term mental illness when that was not the case.

Quote:
“You cannot take a breakdown and say that somebody is mentally unstable,” Harris added. “We will correct the script.”

Victim was Distraught Over the Death of a Dear Friend
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: