OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
"Adjusting" is different than dominating enough in the NBA to take a starting job away from Moz, and steal minutes from Black/Yi/Nance/Randle at center.

He's a 19 year old kid coming off an injury riddled last season. He's playing in an NBA where slower footed bigs are dying and are exposed in PnRs and switches. I'm taking the longer arc with him and thankfully we have some decent centers that can play while he develops. He even acknowledged he didn't really lift weights before. Now you think he can bang with Boogie/DeAndre/Davis? Not there yet.

The reason I mentioned adjusting was because you suggested he was concerned about adjusting to NBA speed when the quote suggests otherwise.
Also, nothing I've posted suggests that I believe he will be sarting anytime soon. Nobody is doubting that Luke will play small ball at times, but isn't likely to stop him from using other centers in the rotation as needed. Ezeli and Speights were also regularly used as Warrior centers despite small ball.

Being slow footed won't affect Zubac anymore than it does their 16 mil per year center. There have been so called "slow footed" great centers going back to Wilt who routinely let opponents shoot outside so he wouldn't get caught away from the basket. Pau and Shaq got beat by quicker guys their whole career. Cousins does just like any other capable center which is why coaches use pnr. Any center with talent will survive by contributing in other ways.

Being 19 didn't prevent Russell or Randle (however briefly) from being part of the rotation and it won't stop Ingram. When Ingram and Zubac were side by side in spl, Ingram didn't play any better than Zubac. Nobody's projecting that 19 y/o, underweight Ingram will be learning behind Deng, or A. Brown/Young while he adjusts to the pro speed for a while.

Coming off an injury means no more to Zubac than it did to Randle being in the lineup the last year after having multiple issues with his foot in previous seasons. It makes no sense to sit a player to protect an injury he no longer has. Phil the Trevor hasn't faced game contact in months excuse in 2008 after Trevor's foot injury and imo, Phil's stubborn refusal to play him possibly lost that series.

Lifting weights will help him but ZRandolph bangs pretty well with his marshmellow-like appearance. If lifting weights was a prerequisite, Kwamay Brown would be headed to the HOF. Nobody's shutting down Davis, Cousins, or taking lobs from DeAndre. That's why they have team defense. Zubac will learn against the best and get better because of it. Additionally, if the team isn't going to the playoffs as most fans believe, that's even more reason to play a sure part of their successful future sooner.

In the end, we all have opinions. I occasionally express mine when I feel very strongly about something. I just don't believe I'm coming to a conclusion because I'm brilliant. To me it's clear there's a special talent there that shouldn't be downplayed. Tuesday night we'll get a clue and see how things
shape up.

Good post.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

The sky hook looks pretty nice
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
"Adjusting" is different than dominating enough in the NBA to take a starting job away from Moz, and steal minutes from Black/Yi/Nance/Randle at center.

He's a 19 year old kid coming off an injury riddled last season. He's playing in an NBA where slower footed bigs are dying and are exposed in PnRs and switches. I'm taking the longer arc with him and thankfully we have some decent centers that can play while he develops. He even acknowledged he didn't really lift weights before. Now you think he can bang with Boogie/DeAndre/Davis? Not there yet.

The reason I mentioned adjusting was because you suggested he was concerned about adjusting to NBA speed when the quote suggests otherwise.
Also, nothing I've posted suggests that I believe he will be sarting anytime soon. Nobody is doubting that Luke will play small ball at times, but isn't likely to stop him from using other centers in the rotation as needed. Ezeli and Speights were also regularly used as Warrior centers despite small ball.

Being slow footed won't affect Zubac anymore than it does their 16 mil per year center. There have been so called "slow footed" great centers going back to Wilt who routinely let opponents shoot outside so he wouldn't get caught away from the basket. Pau and Shaq got beat by quicker guys their whole career. Cousins does just like any other capable center which is why coaches use pnr. Any center with talent will survive by contributing in other ways.

Being 19 didn't prevent Russell or Randle (however briefly) from being part of the rotation and it won't stop Ingram. When Ingram and Zubac were side by side in spl, Ingram didn't play any better than Zubac. Nobody's projecting that 19 y/o, underweight Ingram will be learning behind Deng, or A. Brown/Young while he adjusts to the pro speed for a while.

Coming off an injury means no more to Zubac than it did to Randle being in the lineup the last year after having multiple issues with his foot in previous seasons. It makes no sense to sit a player to protect an injury he no longer has. Phil the Trevor hasn't faced game contact in months excuse in 2008 after Trevor's foot injury and imo, Phil's stubborn refusal to play him possibly lost that series.

Lifting weights will help him but ZRandolph bangs pretty well with his marshmellow-like appearance. If lifting weights was a prerequisite, Kwamay Brown would be headed to the HOF. Nobody's shutting down Davis, Cousins, or taking lobs from DeAndre. That's why they have team defense. Zubac will learn against the best and get better because of it. Additionally, if the team isn't going to the playoffs as most fans believe, that's even more reason to play a sure part of their successful future sooner.

In the end, we all have opinions. I occasionally express mine when I feel very strongly about something. I just don't believe I'm coming to a conclusion because I'm brilliant. To me it's clear there's a special talent there that shouldn't be downplayed. Tuesday night we'll get a clue and see how things shape up.

The funny thing is that we are both really excited about Zubac.

You have higher hopes/expectations for THIS season, while I think he will be "redshirted" with the hopes that he takes OVER for Moz in a few years.

So let me ask, how many minutes per game are expecting Zubac to play this year, given the fact the Lakers currently have Moz/Black/Yi/(small ball Cs in Nance/Randle)?

I think if we make a trade or two, or God forbid, Moz gets injured, Zub will get more time. But absent these scenarios, he will be our secret weapon under construction.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In the end, we all have opinions. I occasionally express mine when I feel very strongly about something. I just don't believe I'm coming to a conclusion because I'm brilliant. To me it's clear there's a special talent there that shouldn't be downplayed. Tuesday night we'll get a clue and see how things shape up.

The funny thing is that we are both really excited about Zubac.

You have higher hopes/expectations for THIS season, while I think he will be "redshirted" with the hopes that he takes OVER for Moz in a few years.

So let me ask, how many minutes per game are expecting Zubac to play this year, given the fact the Lakers currently have Moz/Black/Yi/(small ball Cs in Nance/Randle)?

I think if we make a trade or two, or God forbid, Moz gets injured, Zub will get more time. But absent these scenarios, he will be our secret weapon under construction.
If I want to practice being wrong, that's when I'll start guessing #'s. I can't guess yet since I don't know how effective the small ball centers will be or how much they will play.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Trudell said on his radio show today that the person he heard from observers that stood out most from yesterday's scrimmage was Zubac, and that Zubac was a "player." It's clear by now, if it wasn't already, that Zubac was a steal. It doesn't mean the guy is going to be dominant, but the praise he is getting means, at the least, he is blowing away the minimal expectations that were placed on him as a 2nd round pick. Impressive that the praise and comments of how "surprising" he is keeps coming, even after showing what he could really do in the summer league.

Getting Jordan (46), Nance (27) and Zu (32) in three successive drafts at those positions is proof that Mitch, Ryan and the scouting department are truly exceptional. Jim overhauled the department after the lockout in 2011 and they really put a great team together.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Trudell said on his radio show today that the person he heard from observers that stood out most from yesterday's scrimmage was Zubac, and that Zubac was a "player." It's clear by now, if it wasn't already, that Zubac was a steal. It doesn't mean the guy is going to be dominant, but the praise he is getting means, at the least, he is blowing away the minimal expectations that were placed on him as a 2nd round pick. Impressive that the praise and comments of how "surprising" he is keeps coming, even after showing what he could really do in the summer league.

Getting Jordan (46), Nance (27) and Zu (32) in three successive drafts at those positions is proof that Mitch, Ryan and the scouting department are truly exceptional. Jim overhauled the department after the lockout in 2011 and they really put a great team together.

--Anonymous
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

And if you are thirsty they are able to serve you a nice shot
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

"Every practice I show my skyhook. Everybody is like 'Wow,’” Zubac said. "Before every practice I get here one-and-a half-hours early and work on my skyhook with Bill Bertka."

http://santamariatimes.com/sports/college/hancock/the-golden-age-of-bill-bertka/article_ea7a5d14-cc0c-50bf-a241-d461d4b3f91c.html
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Just don't talk about the Anthony Brown pick.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

GM's are starved for wings who can defend and shoot. Early part of the decade you could come up on quality ones later in the draft.

2011: Butler 30, Bogdanovic 31, Singler 33, Parsons 38
2012: Green 35, Crowder 34, Middleton 39, Barton 40

Since 2013, those guys don't make it that far down the draft board. Quality wings later picks in the last four drafts-

2013: Crabbe 31
2014: J Grant 39
2015: Osman 31, A Brown 34, Richardson 40, Powell 46
2016: TBD

Brown was worth the risk and is on a two year $2 million contract.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

The worst pick in the last 3 years was a 2nd rounder who is actually a good defensive player and would be a definite rotation player if he could shoot. That's hardly a bad thing.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Brown can be serviceable on case to case basis.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

lmao: https://twitter.com/apad23/status/777215543103279104
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject:

Brown is the one cracked egg in the nest. And since most second round players don't pan out, it's just the law of averages that we finally got a player who sucks at shooting.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:

I'm fine with Zubac coming along slowly, young kid, new country, new style of play etc lot to take in, in year 1 . If his play dictates he should get more playing time then I am sure he will. In the mean time he seems to be getting positive praise, is well liked by his teammates and puts in solid work so great start by him
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject:

Zublacccca
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

Honestly Mitch's ability to draft in the 2nd round has been upper eschaton since he got here. Even the current coach Luke Walton, Marc Gasol, Turiaf...

His only major 2 year drought for being armed with 2nds and whiffing on them was 2010 and 2011, and frankly 2011 he went with international guys (which isn't his scouting realm, when it comes to international you're essentially relying on your international scout) - especially back in 2011.

and honestly in 2010 if you look at the draft... ebanks and cara were actually the two best players left who were drafted that year.

The guy is money.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
Honestly Mitch's ability to draft in the 2nd round has been upper eschaton since he got here. Even the current coach Luke Walton, Marc Gasol, Turiaf...

His only major 2 year drought for being armed with 2nds and whiffing on them was 2010 and 2011, and frankly 2011 he went with international guys (which isn't his scouting realm, when it comes to international you're essentially relying on your international scout) - especially back in 2011.

and honestly in 2010 if you look at the draft... ebanks and cara were actually the two best players left who were drafted that year.

The guy is money.
He is a master at evaluating talent. The proof is in the pudding. That's why many of us preach patience. Mitch knows what he is doing and I think we are doing it the right way. We have a nice young, exciting, up and coming squad. Coming off the Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Gasol era's, I couldn't be happier with this current team. Looking forward to this season a lot. I know there'll be ups and downs. Most probably more L's than W's but I'm the kind of guy that enjoys the journey. Let's GOOOOOO!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

Yea the only swing and miss recently looks like it might be Brown. If he doesn't show anything this year then you can say the front office missed out on Richardson/Powell. Even picks where there were arguably better players available, it looks like they made up for it in subsequent drafts while still filling holes with great potential talent. For instance we got D'lo but missed Okafor/Porzingis, then made up for it possibly with Zu. Took Randle over a guy like Hood, wound up with Ingram instead. I think the perception around the league isn't as favorable as a team like San Antonio or OKC but the front office has been lights out in the draft for a while now.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Yea the only swing and miss recently looks like it might be Brown. If he doesn't show anything this year then you can say the front office missed out on Richardson/Powell. Even picks where there were arguably better players available, it looks like they made up for it in subsequent drafts while still filling holes with great potential talent. For instance we got D'lo but missed Okafor/Porzingis, then made up for it possibly with Zu. Took Randle over a guy like Hood, wound up with Ingram instead. I think the perception around the league isn't as favorable as a team like San Antonio or OKC but the front office has been lights out in the draft for a while now.

DLO over Oakafor/Porzingis and Randle over Hood were the smart picks then AND now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Zubac is going to be REALLY good...watching the scrimmage video yesterday, and going back through SL footage, he's easily a first round talent.

He might take 2 years to develop, but he's well worth it. He's not a headcase, no injury history that I'm aware of, he's willing to learn, he's fundamentally sound at his age, etc. The list goes on and on with this kid.

Great freaking find.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Zubac is going to be REALLY good...watching the scrimmage video yesterday, and going back through SL footage, he's easily a first round talent.

He might take 2 years to develop, but he's well worth it. He's not a headcase, no injury history that I'm aware of, he's willing to learn, he's fundamentally sound at his age, etc. The list goes on and on with this kid.

Great freaking find.

His enthusiasm is so contagious. And it's clear the team just loves him like a big teddy bear. Getting that young Vlade Divac vibe about him.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
manlisten wrote:

DLO over Oakafor/Porzingis and Randle over Hood were the smart picks then AND now
Well, perception is a funny thing. I'm all for fan opinions. It's one thing that makes sports talk so enjoyable. It's all good to prefer one player over another but it gets a little over the top when certain cats sensationalize and act as if picks were blown when the talent level and potential are pretty equal to their preferred choice.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Great freaking find.

His enthusiasm is so contagious. And it's clear the team just loves him like a big teddy bear. Getting that young Vlade Divac vibe about him.

Minus the floppiness.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Great freaking find.

Exactly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 70 of 290
Jump to: