Mercedes to Build Hypercar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Mercedes to Build Hypercar

The reigning F1 Champions confirm they will build a hypercar that will slot above the AMG GTs.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Frankel/status/781190472232493056/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Electric Turbocharging? Multiple Electric Motors? KERS?

My favorite Mercedes hypercar:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:

most likely it will 300K price tag
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Doubt it...more likely at least double or triple that price.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

I'm guessing way higher than that. The AMG GT replaces the SLS. This will compete with Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari LaFerrari, Mclaren P1 all easily over $1M.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

1 million for a Benz? Might as well get the Ferrari
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Not necessarily.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Ferrari has been getting their butts whooped by MB in F1 for the past three years (this year's not looking any different). This will be the first time a F1 drivetrain will be dropped straight into a production car (according to press releases) so in all likelihood, this.car will best anything that has come before it. Anyways excited to see what the wizards at Affalterbach build up.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Ferrari has been getting their butts whooped by MB in F1 for the past three years (this year's not looking any different). This will be the first time a F1 drivetrain will be dropped straight into a production car (according to press releases) so in all likelihood, this.car will best anything that has come before it. Anyways excited to see what the wizards at Affalterbach build up.

I would be surprised if that happens....that engine and drivetrain can't last more than 2000 miles. Surely, there will be some longer life components so the owner won't have to get that thing serviced so often.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

I would be surprised if that happens....that engine and drivetrain can't last more than 2000 miles. Surely, there will be some longer life components so the owner won't have to get that thing serviced so often.

Straight from the mouth.

They might use a tweaked version of the M178, but a bespoke version of the M275 wouldn't be out of the question.

They successfully homologated the CLK GTR, so I believe them when they're saying they plan to make this a race car with number plates. It's 1997 all over again, except this time instead of beating the F50, F1, and GT1, MB is taking the current crop of hypercars to the woodshed.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:

If they make the engine run on air and water and oxygen coming out the exhaust it might be worth a look. Other than that? Everybody can built crazy cars that are not practical in daily life.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
If they make the engine run on air and water and oxygen coming out the exhaust it might be worth a look. Other than that? Everybody can built crazy cars that are not practical in daily life.

Um, these cars already exist. FCVs are already on the road; Honda, Hyundai, Toyota will lease you fuel cell vehicles. They take in compressed hydrogen and just emit water and oxygen. It's just a pain to fill up at a limited number of stations.

These are limited edition cars (think double digit production worldwide). So unless you're the Sultan of Brunei you won't be able to buy even if you had the money. What's cool about it though is that it pushes the boundary of what racing tech can find its way to ordinary production vehicles down the line (double clutch gearbox, hybrid powertrains so on).
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:

Because it isn't practical with today's technology. The infrastructure isn't there. The major automotive manufacturers have tinkered with fuel cells and the technology just isn't mature at this point.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Straight from the mouth.

They might use a tweaked version of the M178, but a bespoke version of the M275 wouldn't be out of the question.

They successfully homologated the CLK GTR, so I believe them when they're saying they plan to make this a race car with number plates. It's 1997 all over again, except this time instead of beating the F50, F1, and GT1, MB is taking the current crop of hypercars to the woodshed.

Word is that it will be in the 2 million dollar range....
It will probably resemble an LMP1 Lemans race car but have the engine and drivetrain of an F1 car, at least as close as they can get to it. Probably very light around 2000 pounds if they intend to get good performance out of a car built around that engine.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Straight from the mouth.

It will probably resemble an LMP1 Lemans race car but have the engine and drivetrain of an F1 car, at least as close as they can get to it. Probably very light around 2000 pounds if they intend to get good performance out of a car built around that engine.

Wow, so they are going to put in the 1.6L V6. Not sure how I feel about that. I know number of cylinders and displacement don't matter much in this era of forced induction/hybridization, but still a 1.6 V6!! Crazy.

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/1007/mercedes-amg-f1-w05-hybrid
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Straight from the mouth.

Wow, so they are going to put in the 1.6L V6. Not sure how I feel about that. I know number of cylinders and displacement don't matter much in this era of forced induction/hybridization, but still a 1.6 V6!! Crazy.

Yeah, a $2mil supercar with the exhaust note of a weedwacker?
No Thank You.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
999 wrote:
Not necessarily.

Straight from the mouth.

No Thank You.

I don't think they will miss your 2 million dollars....
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject:

i think 2 million on any car is overkill. i guess if your gates or buffet its chump change
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
i think 2 million on any car is overkill. i guess if your gates or buffet its chump change

Well considering how much R&D goes into building these supercars these days, the manufacturers are making them at a loss. It is more of a prestige and pride factor for the manufacturer. Its part marketing since it gets peoples foot in the door to consider other models in the manufacturer portfolio. Remember the Bugatti Veyron? VW lost around 6 million for every Veyron sold. But in the process they built up the brand and had a halo car. Also these types of projects tend to bring out the best of their engineers so it also helps the manufacturer when designing any future cars down the road.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Like I said above, the miniscule number of cars produced means the manufacturer gets to pick who the car goes to, most likely brand loyalists who own several rare collector cars (demand>>>supply). To those lucky buyers, these cars will be smart investments because they'll appreciate in value as time goes on unlike the box on wheels you and I daily drive.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

It's not surprising that Mercedes would do this when they're doing so well with F1.

Admittedly, the shape of the car resembles LMP or ALMS than anything F1 related.

Personally, I'm not impressed. Today's world of hypercars have already started with LaFerrari, 918, McLaren P1, ... Zonda, Koenigsegg, etc.

If this is an F1 technology race, then how in the world are they going to beat Koenigsegg with the Regera? I think that's more advanced than F1 and at least on par with LeMan, where the real fun is.

Also, it wouldn't be the first time an F1-type of drivetrain was put into an exotic car.

The Ferrari F50 was the closest to doing that.

If you want to simplify, modernize, and really get racing technology into a car, just get a BAC Mono. The drivetrain may not be as impressive. The sound? The engine response? The shifter? Definitely is.

Of course, something similar had already been built for the Cannonball run years ago.

http://jalopnik.com/the-rebellion-r2k-is-the-street-legal-race-car-youve-a-498665628

Honestly I don't see how it's any different from a modern interior, Bang Olufsen sound, A/C, in a Rebellion R2k

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Actually, it could sound pretty sick. It just depends on how it's arranged. If anything, the F1 community is missing the excessively high, shrieking revs out of 3.0 V10s and what not.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Electric Turbocharging? Multiple Electric Motors? KERS?

Mercedes already built multiple electric motors with the all electric AMG SLS.

Very impressive. Just too pricey.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspecial/sls_e-drive/eng.php

We're basically at a point of, what do people want out of a hyper car? You need $150,000 for a 0-60 in 2.5 seconds in a P100D, or if you want to add power in a sedan, an RS7.

If MB finds a way to cut the weight and some how match the specifications of a Regera, then it's worth building.

Quote:
The Regera produces a reported total of 1,822 metric horsepower through a hybrid powertrain. As in general, the Regera's internal combustion engine (ICE) produces its greatest power only at high RPMs; however, due to the fixed gear, this corresponds to very high speeds. Power at low speeds is filled in by the electric motors, giving a maximum combined mechanical output of 1,500 metric horsepower and 1,475 pound-feet of torque.[2][3][4] The ICE is a mid-rear mounted, in-house developed, twin-turbocharged V8 engine with a 5.0-litre capacity. It produces 820 kW (1,100 bhp; 1,115 PS) at 7,800 RPM and 1,280 Nm (944.1 ft·lb) at 4,100 RPM. It works in conjunction with three YASA electric motors with a total capacity of 520 kW (697 bhp) and 900 Nm (663.8 ft·lb) of torque. One 215 bhp (160 kW) electric motor-generator on the crankshaft acts as starter and generator and supplies torque fill; and two 241 bhp (180 kW) wheel-shaft mounted electric motors drive each rear wheel and provide torque vectoring. The electric motors are powered by a 4.5-kWh, 800-volt, 75-kg liquid cooled battery pack developed by Rimac Automobili, making it the first 800-volt production car.[5] Koenigsegg claims that the battery pack is the most power-dense battery pack ever created for a production car.[1][2][4][6]

How is MB going to compete against that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koenigsegg_Regera

We didn't even mention how Rimac has been trying to dominate the competition.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject:

The Bugatti Chiron is the car you want if you want a ridiculous car....I'd imagine their owners would probably crash their cars at 1/4 the speed before they ever get up to top speed of the car.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The Bugatti Chiron is the car you want if you want a ridiculous car....I'd imagine their owners would probably crash their cars at 1/4 the speed before they ever get up to top speed of the car.

Props for the engineering, but I wasn't interested in the Veyron, and I'm not interested in the Chiron.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Props for the engineering, but I wasn't interested in the Veyron, and I'm not interested in the Chiron.

What? You don't like a 'sports' car to weigh as much as a Ford Explorer?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: