Darren Collison arrested on Domestic Violence Charge

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Darren Collison arrested on Domestic Violence Charge

http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2016/5/31/darren-collison-arrested-on-domestic-violence-charge

Quote:
Darren Collison Arrested On Domestic Violence Charge

Sacramento Kings point guard Darren Collison has been arrested for driving with a revoked license and on charges for domestic violence.
The Kings released a press release earlier and had this to say regarding the arrest:
“We’ve been made aware of the situation. The Sacramento Kings condemn violence of any kind. We are gathering additonal information and once all facts are known we will take appropiate steps.”
Collison is the only point guard signed on the Kings roster going into next season so this could be costly if these charges are true. He would very likely get suspended as the NBA, along with other professional leagues, don’t tolerate domestic violence abuse cases.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

if the Kings want to get rid of him we should trade Nick Young for him straight up
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
if the Kings want to get rid of him we should trade Nick Young for him straight up

You wanna bring in a women abuser to replace a philanderer? Not sure your priorities are straight.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

What a shame. I hope the domestic violence charge is not true, but he'll need to face the music if it is. He doesn't strike me as having the personality to commit a felony. But then again, I don't know him at all, and success may have changed him.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
999 wrote:

You wanna bring in a women abuser to replace a philanderer? Not sure your priorities are straight.

It's a pipe dream but yes you trade a a bad player with 2 years left on his contract for a good player on an expiring contract in a heartbeat. Odds are Lakers will waive Nick Young since nobody wants him. You obviously save money by waiving Collison instead, but you probably keep him anyways since he is a good player.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I went to high school with this dude! Didn't know him well so I can't speak to his personality much. I am shocked to hear it though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
What a shame. I hope the domestic violence charge is not true, but he'll need to face the music if it is. He doesn't strike me as having the personality to commit a felony. But then again, I don't know him at all, and success may have changed him.

Yea my feelings as well. I'm a Bruin so I followed him as much as a typical fan interested in my alma mater and read nothing but good things about him off court. Also had solid parents and what sounded like a great home life growing up. But yea didn't know him then and don't know him now. Shame if true.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't personally know him but am familiar with his relatively recent religious affiliation. My daughters are familiar with his wife of a few years. Based on what I've heard about his commitment, involvement, and activity level, I'm surprised and saddened that things developed to this point.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/02/report-darren-collison-gets-off-easy-with-eight-game-suspension-for-domestic-violence/

Quote:

Darren Collison gets off easy with eight-game suspension for domestic violence

The Kings have caught a break. When the Hornets’ Jeff Taylor accepted a guilty plea for domestic violence several years ago, he got a 24 game suspension.

This summer Kings’ point guard Darren Collison accepted a plea deal in a domestic violence case (one misdemeanor charge) involving his wife that also included 20 days in jail (although he will not serve his time in a traditional jail) and three years probation.

However, Collison will only be suspended eight games to start the season (less than 1/10th of the season), something first reported by Marc Stein of ESPN and now confirmed by the league.

Follow
Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
The NBA will suspend Kings guard Darren Collison for the first eight games of the NBA season, according to league sources
3:56 PM - 2 Oct 2016
362 362 Retweets 281 281 likes
Follow
Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Sources say Collison can play in preseason games and participate in all practices but must miss the first eight games of the regular season.
3:58 PM - 2 Oct 2016
100 100 Retweets 101 101 likes
This is a suspension without pay that will cost Collison $380,000.

The Kings released this statement.

“Domestic violence is a serious issue and directly contradicts the values of the Sacramento Kings. Darren has taken responsibility for his actions and will work to raise awareness of this critical issue in the community. We support the NBA’s decision on this matter.”

The NBA does independent investigations of these cases and does consult with a panel of experts in the domestic violence field when coming up with these recommendations. Here is a portion of their press release on how they got to this number.

Based on this investigation, consultation, and a careful weighing of all the facts and circumstances, the NBA determined that an eight-game suspension was appropriate. Among other factors, the NBA took into account the conduct and its result, the player’s acceptance of responsibility, his cooperation with both law enforcement and the NBA, and his voluntary participation in counseling in addition to the court-mandated program.

I don’t doubt they put thought into this incident, and that it is different from the Taylor case. Collison is not the player you’d expect to be in this situation if you talk to him, and I think the Kings handled this well. Regardless of the circumstances around it, domestic violence is a serious issue nationally and in professional sports. It is unacceptable behavior, and this punishment from the league feels light.

The Kings have Ty Lawson, Isaiah Cousins, and Jordan Farmar at the point until Collison returns.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

She must've cracked a joke on how Collison can't beat a full court press.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

Dang, kinda ruins his image for me. As a UCLA alum, I'm embarrassed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: