2016-2017 X's and O's Thread (Video links on pg 1)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: 2016-2017 X's and O's Thread (Video links on pg 1)

Another year, another X's and O's thread. I'm looking forward to discussing with everyone what we're doing right as opposed to all the things that we did wrong the past two seasons.

The first post I'll reserve for quick reference links to X's and O's related video breakdowns and other media, such as to GT's Laker Film Room series, that I'll update throughout the season.

Laker Film Room
Twitter @lakerfilmroom

The New Laker Offense, Part 1: Pistol

The New Laker Offense, Part 2: Motion Weak

The New Laker Offense, Part 3: Double Drag Screens

What the Lakers Can Learn from Golden State

The New Laker Offense, Part 4: Loop

Why the Laker Offense Struggles vs. Pressure Defenses

How the Lakers Offense is Improving

The New Laker Offense, Part 5: Zipper Series

Lakers Offensive Sets
http://lakerfilmroom.com/lakers-offensive-sets/
The Long Road To a Respectable Lakers Defense
http://lakerfilmroom.com/long-road-toward-respectable-lakers-defense/2/

Half Court Hoops
Golden State Warriors Playbook https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtnlD0_6Shu5APwhQijJyo_PutFQYhRnn
GSW "Elbow Pindown"

GSW "Elbow Rub"

SAS Motion Weak

SAS "Down One"

LAL vs HOU

Los Angeles Lakers Luke Walton Playbook

Lakersnation
5 on 0 training camp drill
(Elbow pindown (horns), Motion Weak - > Elbow rub (horns) )
Pinch post drills

How U
Spurs Loop

Warriors Split Cuts

BBallbreakdown
Lakers: What They Runnin'

How D'Angelo Russell And Julius Randle Are Reborn Under Walton https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7YhM31m1d0

Point Four Seconds
Lakers Preseason Playbook

Last edited by fiendishoc on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:01 am; edited 16 times in total
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject:

Dope. I'm particularly pleased there will be little, if any, manning up in this thread.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject:

So you'll actually have some Xs and Os to pore over this year. Nice.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

SO HYPE FOR THIS!! Thank you Fiend and GT!!

Every time I read/watch your stuff I realize how little I know about the game lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

I think people get it wrong when they say "Randle will be Dray, Mozgov will play like Bogut, Russell is our Curry" and so on. I don't expect Luke to simply emulate GSW game with new pieces. It would be like a toddler trying to fit the round piece in the square hole of his toy.

When Kerr took over as GSW head coach - with Luke by his side - he didn't change any major piece in the team; he set the principles and assembled the team with what he had in hands, exploiting each player's skills.

What I expect from Luke is using the same principles and that's exactly what we saw on GT's "Luke to Lakers" series. Roles will be different as our players have different talents, different flaws and both teams are in different stages of evolution.

I'm quite dumb in terms of X's and O's, but I'm very curious to follow the discussions about it, especially when we have the experts we have here.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

Wait, we'll actually have X's and O's this season to discuss?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
I think people get it wrong when they say "Randle will be Dray, Mozgov will play like Bogut, Russell is our Curry" and so on. I don't expect Luke to simply emulate GSW game with new pieces. It would be like a toddler trying to fit the round piece in the square hole of his toy.

When Kerr took over as GSW head coach - with Luke by his side - he didn't change any major piece in the team; he set the principles and assembled the team with what he had in hands, exploiting each player's skills.

What I expect from Luke is using the same principles and that's exactly what we saw on GT's "Luke to Lakers" series. Roles will be different as our players have different talents, different flaws and both teams are in different stages of evolution.

I'm quite dumb in terms of X's and O's, but I'm very curious to follow the discussions about it, especially when we have the experts we have here.
Exactly. He'll fit the offense to the players and not the other way around. He's said as much in interviews
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Great to see a new X's and O's thread - so much to learn, for me at least. There's so much more to watch for in every player, play, play set, and opponent thanks to the efforts of some truly insightful and instructional posters here. Fascinating to watch Laker games and watch each player develop after paying visits to these threads.

Hopefully Luke is indeed the antithesis of Byron Scott when it comes to X's and O's and player development. I'm looking forward to finding out!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

I agree. I expect Luke to be much more in tune with each players' strengths and weaknesses right out of the gate, and even more so as the season progresses.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So you'll actually have some Xs and Os to pore over this year. Nice.

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Wait, we'll actually have X's and O's this season to discuss?

Yeah, it's going to be strange watching out for actual in game adjustments and out of bounds plays.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Awww (bleep), here we go!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121205222822/random-ness/images/1/1a/SalDisGonBeGud.gif

!...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for your guys' analysis. Meanwhile here I was just glad to recognize the beginning of Motion Weak as it happened
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Some thoughts on the Kings game:

WHAT I LIKED:

Movement - The players and the ball were constantly in motion. It didn't always lead to something good, but there were very few times where we had the ball stick.

Even in the simple offensive structure that they've put in, they have secondary sets after the initial action and even after that, encouraged the players to continue to cut and set screens indefinitely, giving plenty of passing options. This is in contrast to last season, where everyone would freeze in place after the initial pass.

Defensive switching - The Lakers actually switched a lot on defense quite a bit last season, but it was poorly executed. It seemed to be done to avoid exerting effort, rather than to nullify an advantage, and resulted in giving up wide open jumpers.

Already in game one of this preseason the defensive switches make sense and were passed on smoothly. I don't recall seeing any clear breakdowns.

https://twitter.com/DrewGarrisonSBN/status/783538388347609088
(note the stiff-arms on the screeners)

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

Lou on Afflalo - Lou started at SG but didn't cross match with DLO on defense. That left a PG sized player on someone who often plays at the SF position. Maybe they were concerned about getting mixed up in transition defense, but Afflalo definitely capitalized on his size advantage tonight.

Lack of automatic counters
This one is understandable given how little time they've devoted on offense so far. Their offense was basically the Motion Weak and Horns Elbow sets that we saw in training camp. Although the shooting was off, it was fluid and resulted in some open looks in the first half. In the second half, the Kings adjusted by denying the return pass to the PG in Motion Weak more aggressively, which resulted in some clock time and catches further away from the paint.

As GT mentioned in his video, as a counter the guard should be back cutting as soon as he sees the denial pressure. I'm pretty sure that they will implement this or another counter soon though.

Overall, despite the general sloppiness in this game, there was a lot to be encouraged by. The ball movement and the togetherness on defense is already better than what we had last season. The open shots should start falling and I think the coaching staff will eventually find lineups that work for both the 1st and second units. Also, getting away from that ice rink floor should help as well.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

IT HAS BEGUN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Bill Herenda breaks down Kings defense vs Lakers:
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Dude, it's so awesome that we run actions, and if we get stalled and there's still 10 seconds left on the clock. omg, no more end of shot clock panic
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised they haven't been running Pistol. Looked promising for the SL squad.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

They ran Loop for Russell for a 3! I've been waiting for that! I'll include it in the video of tonight's game.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I almost cried when I seent that elevator action for swaggy
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
They ran Loop for Russell for a 3! I've been waiting for that! I'll include it in the video of tonight's game.

Remember when Luke said this a few months ago? First thing that came to my mind when I saw it:

"I envision him [Ingram] playing multiple spots,” Walton said. “Even bringing the ball up if we want to run D’Angelo or whoever off of ball screens, let him run the point spot of the offense.”

^^At different points in the game we saw both of those things tonight.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Loop and the Elevator screens for Russell. He splashed on the Loop but couldn't finish of the Elevator. And then that pull-up three in transition as the D retreated to the paint... had some serious Warrior ball going on with DLO tonight.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Loop and the Elevator screens for Russell. He splashed on the Loop but couldn't finish of the Elevator. And then that pull-up three in transition as the D retreated to the paint... had some serious Warrior ball going on with DLO tonight.

Nice! I've only seen the highlights of the game, so I haven't seen the elevator action yet. Can't wait! We actually look like an NBA team from 2016!!!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Nice! I've only seen the highlights of the game, so I haven't seen the elevator action yet. Can't wait! We actually look like an NBA team from 2016!!!

Yup! He actually scored off of the Loop play twice. The second time he sold the baseline cut and then chose to go over instead, so it looked more like an Iverson cut- and then he got into the lane for pullup J.

But even more importantly, the spacing, the off ball movement, and the help defense are all light years beyond what we saw the previous two years.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

^^First possession of the game it looks like they were trying to get some gaggle action going but were a little confused, probably because they aren't quite comfortable in it yet.

But it's encouraging that Randle didn't panic and force a pass or try to barrel his way to the rim when he recognized the break down. Made the correct read and immediately knew to hit Lou, and they flowed into a two man game with a pick and roll. Pretty triangle-esque lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: