Preseason game #5: Sacramento Kings @ LA Lakers - 10-13-16 - 7.30 PM PT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Now I understand why Vegas thinks Lakers will only win 25 games this season. I hope Luke can make miracles with all these young prospects and prove the doubters wrong.

Yup. Not a popular opinion around here but were probably still a bottom 5 team/roster right now unless everyone hits their potential (only the 76ers and Nets have unquestionably worse rosters). Doesn't mean it can't happen but there are always homers who assume all of the Lakers will peak and everyone else's young pieces will flop/are overrated etc... The important thing is that we are showing signs of being run like an actual, professional basketball team and that the team develops and grows.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject:

GreekTrojan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Now I understand why Vegas thinks Lakers will only win 25 games this season. I hope Luke can make miracles with all these young prospects and prove the doubters wrong.

Yup. Not a popular opinion around here but were probably still a bottom 5 team/roster right now unless everyone hits their potential (only the 76ers and Nets have unquestionably worse rosters). Doesn't mean it can't happen but there are always homers who assume all of the Lakers will peak and everyone else's young pieces will flop/are overrated etc... The important thing is that we are showing signs of being run like an actual, professional basketball team and that the team develops and grows.
Most people see this team winning 27-32, which is pretty much bottom 5. Some people probably too optimistic, but I think expectations are high but reasonable.

I can see this team closing the season playing ~.500 ball their last 30 games.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Most people see this team winning 27-32, which is pretty much bottom 5. Some people probably too optimistic, but I think expectations are high but reasonable.

It's really hard to put a forecast on this team even with the preseason games.

I mean Russell is starting to look like a superstar so that gives us a chance to sneak into the playoffs.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I'm getting a bad vibe from Luke and it's only preseason. Good x's and O's coach but as far as personality and connecting with the young players.

That is officially the craziest thing I've read all offseason/preseason. Maybe that take I read in the DLO thread about his dad celebrating too hard at summer league meaning that he's a bad influence on DLO which speaks to his unreliability on-and-off the court. Both of those takes are about the same level of atrocious.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
The preseason crowds have been pretty lousy. I wonder if they're going to move away from these random offsite games or maybe even the unthinkable...a preseason road game

????? No they haven't. Particularly the ones at Staples looked like regular season games.

This is the first Vegas game and this crowd has been decidedly weak.

Even the staples ones weren't sold out and the Honda center and vegas games had light crowds. I assumed the Lakers got to play 100% home games all of these years because they always had huge crowds.

YeahOK

I don't think any other team is blessed with all home games in preseason. If they are playing in half empty arenas in Anaheim, Vegas, and Ontario, I'm just thinking they might change things. When they were selling those games out, it was a different story.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
I'm getting a bad vibe from Luke and it's only preseason. Good x's and O's coach but as far as personality and connecting with the young players.

That is officially the craziest thing I've read all offseason/preseason. Maybe that take I read in the DLO thread about his dad celebrating too hard at summer league meaning that he's a bad influence on DLO which speaks to his unreliability on-and-off the court. Both of those takes are about the same level of atrocious.

This poster's view of the world starts and begins with how JC is treated.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
tox wrote:
GreekTrojan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

It's really hard to put a forecast on this team even with the preseason games.

I mean Russell is starting to look like a superstar so that gives us a chance to sneak into the playoffs.

Playoffs, ya kidding me? ......
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
prefuse1 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
I would not mind if Randle got traded. He is not all that. I don't think he will ever be a good shooter.

Randle has to be Draymond for him to be any good? What do you want from the guy? He has improved since last year from what I've seen, is a good team mate and seems to want to learn. He averaged a double double last year and will again this year.

Randle is fine....we have a good young core that'll need 2-3 together to grow. Now trading Lou or Swaggy sounds more like it.

That seems like an awfully low bar you've set for Randle.

He didn't set any bar.

Sure he did. When you say, "What do you want from the guy?" and then follow it up with "He has improved since last year from what I've seen, is a good team mate and seems to want to learn. He averaged a double double last year and will again this year." The bar he set is a slight improvement over last year is good enough. Why not expect him to make the same leap in production that DLO and Clarkson have? I like Randle but, he was the most highly thought of prospect out of DLO, Clarkson and himself so he should be operating on a similar level to those two. Thus far he still seems like a low efficiency, for his position, player who still treats his right hand like he lost it in a farming accident. Whatever though, the games don't count yet and it's possible he's still figuring out the wrinkles to exploit in the offense. That said he's behind DLO and Clarkson but a significant margin at this point and that shouldn't be the case.

Randle was not more highly touted than Russell.

Randle improving on last year is fine. He can add some assists without increasing turnovers, increase his efficiency in scoring, and play offball (both offense and defense), and his "production" would stay constant but he'd be way better.

Baby steps. Last year, Randle only was a good rebounder. This year, he's been decently efficient scoring the ball and he's really starting to get comfortable in transition. We aren't the Warriors; if he loses us some games while developing, that's fine.

If he hadn't shown improvement, I'd agree with you, but he has so I'm willing to be patient.

Randle was considered, at worst, the number three prospect in his class going into his one season at Kentucky. I know Russell wasn't that high. Before the concerns with the foot there was almost zero chance he would've fell to the Lakers. I encourage you to look that one up my man.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
prefuse1 wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
I would not mind if Randle got traded. He is not all that. I don't think he will ever be a good shooter.

Randle has to be Draymond for him to be any good? What do you want from the guy? He has improved since last year from what I've seen, is a good team mate and seems to want to learn. He averaged a double double last year and will again this year.

Randle is fine....we have a good young core that'll need 2-3 together to grow. Now trading Lou or Swaggy sounds more like it.

That seems like an awfully low bar you've set for Randle.

He didn't set any bar.

Sure he did. When you say, "What do you want from the guy?" and then follow it up with "He has improved since last year from what I've seen, is a good team mate and seems to want to learn. He averaged a double double last year and will again this year." The bar he set is a slight improvement over last year is good enough. Why not expect him to make the same leap in production that DLO and Clarkson have? I like Randle but, he was the most highly thought of prospect out of DLO, Clarkson and himself so he should be operating on a similar level to those two. Thus far he still seems like a low efficiency, for his position, player who still treats his right hand like he lost it in a farming accident. Whatever though, the games don't count yet and it's possible he's still figuring out the wrinkles to exploit in the offense. That said he's behind DLO and Clarkson but a significant margin at this point and that shouldn't be the case.

Dude, he's been pretty damn efficient even with a poor first game and a poor shooting game tonight. I'm sure someone will have his FG%, TS%, and ATO stats available soon to show how solidly efficient he has been so far (caveat: preseason).

We'll see. I'm still waiting on that jumper he worked on and that supposed three point shot he has now. I'm also looking for Nance's three point shot as well now that I think about it. I'm just skeptical that Randle is anything more than a good, to great, role player. I'm not even seeing flashes of what you'd call a star.

Who ever said he was gonna be a star? I don't know if anybody ever projected him to be a franchise player, hell at the time he was drafted I thought the FO screwed up by not taking Vonleh (my bad on that)

Solid starter, good rebounder, good at pushing the ball, can score some and have some big nights here and there. That's gonna be Randle. He's good, he's a C+ player right now heading for a career of being a B/B+ player.

If you want to ship out every player on our team not capable of being a "star", then our entire roster would be DLO and Ingram.

Do me a favor and show me where I said ship him out? You can't do it because I never (bleep) ing said it. All I said is a particular poster had lower expectations for Randle than some of the other young Laker players. Hell, he has lower expectations than Randle himself. It's like people don't listen to what the actual players actually say about themselves. If a player expects greatness out of themselves, why should we as fans be content with being merely adequate or good. It makes no sense.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Seriously?

What can you take out of preseason besides players getting in basketball condition? oh wait.. Oklahoma is 1-3, they must be panicking.

Compare a veteran team that was one game away from the finals pre season to a new and young team trying to prove an identity brehs
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

3 Takeaways From the Preseason Loss vs Sacramento Kings

Quote:
Thursday, Los Angeles took on a shorted-handed Sacramento Kings squad in Las Vegas, battling back from a 19-point point deficit in the first half but sputtering in the fourth quarter, falling 116-104 in Sin City.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/10/14/lakers-3-takeaways-preseason-loss-sacramento-kings-las-vegas/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Page 31 of 31
Jump to: