Who was better - Larry Bird or Lebron James?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the better player?
Larry Bird
35%
 35%  [ 20 ]
Lebron James
64%
 64%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 56

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
It's really tough to compare defense from era to era, but I wouldn't consider the 1980s an era with particular strong defense, certainly not strong enough to warrant extra credit for Bird.

The level of defense in the '80s was higher than some eras like the early '60s, I suppose, but nothing like the defense since then. Larry Bird actually made the all-defense team back then. That says it all.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Wino wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Funny how the same cats come to defend Lebron every single time. We get it, you love the gawd.

This is kind of BS too. Frankly I have really hated him over the years, but at some point you gotta admit that the man has had a very very successful career. To deny is to discredit yourself.

Would I rather have him over Kobe, Magic, Jordan or Kareem?? Not likely but he is probably a top 10 player of all time and in the end he will have the credentials to make his naysayers eat coal.

This site is actually one of the worst at accepting and understanding talent from other teams. Very little acceptance of other talent here.

Lebron is arguably a bit of a douche bag, I get all that, but if the Lakers had a shot at signing him, I would want them to jump all over that, unless he is on his last legs.
I've never denied his skill or him being an all time great or him being arguably the best player of his generation. Imo, I acknowledge and recognize he's a better player than Larry legend. I voted for Lebron in this poll. However, with saying that, being a Laker fan and all, (bleep) Lebron.

That makes little sense, the Lakers and Cavs have never been rivals.

To me, where I dislike Lebron is where he felt entitled to being the best before he earned it. Kobe never talked about being the best, it was everyone else who talked about it. When he was cornered and asked about it, he would deflect and say it wasn't his to worry about. He would say that he strived to be the best that he could be and prove himself as one of the best. But he never actually said he was the best. Lebron has been saying that about himself since day 1.

He has NEVER been a humble guy, and while I don't mind anyone having extreme confidence, I have never liked braggers who don't have the current credentials to back it up.

I think this is where Laker fans have grown to hate Lebron. He is just a bit of a douche bag and we all know it.

We have seen better, we have seen Magic, Kareem, Worthy and Kobe who where all less douchey than Lebron. They never ran around talking about being the best of all time, blah blah blah.

Kobe did talk about being the best and Kobe was far from humble. As a young player he blew off is all star teammates to take on MJ one on one. And at the time he was in the all star game as a bench player. Let's not rewrite history to make a point.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
governator wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Bird is better than any player in this era and it isn't close. The guy avg 26 pts, 10 rebs, 6 ast, 2 stls, on efficient shooting with good defense in his prime.

No player in this era even close to Bird?
Shaq? Duncan? Kobe? The man in question, LeBron? Clarkson?
Nope. None of those players are better than Bird.

Embarrassing.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

Lebron is better, bird is greater.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Wino wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Funny how the same cats come to defend Lebron every single time. We get it, you love the gawd.

This is kind of BS too. Frankly I have really hated him over the years, but at some point you gotta admit that the man has had a very very successful career. To deny is to discredit yourself.

Would I rather have him over Kobe, Magic, Jordan or Kareem?? Not likely but he is probably a top 10 player of all time and in the end he will have the credentials to make his naysayers eat coal.

This site is actually one of the worst at accepting and understanding talent from other teams. Very little acceptance of other talent here.

Lebron is arguably a bit of a douche bag, I get all that, but if the Lakers had a shot at signing him, I would want them to jump all over that, unless he is on his last legs.
I've never denied his skill or him being an all time great or him being arguably the best player of his generation. Imo, I acknowledge and recognize he's a better player than Larry legend. I voted for Lebron in this poll. However, with saying that, being a Laker fan and all, (bleep) Lebron.

To me, where I dislike Lebron is where he felt entitled to being the best before he earned it. Kobe never talked about being the best, it was everyone else who talked about it. When he was cornered and asked about it, he would deflect and say it wasn't his to worry about. He would say that he strived to be the best that he could be and prove himself as one of the best. But he never actually said he was the best. Lebron has been saying that about himself since day 1.

He has NEVER been a humble guy, and while I don't mind anyone having extreme confidence, I have never liked braggers who don't have the current credentials to back it up.

I think this is where Laker fans have grown to hate Lebron. He is just a bit of a douche bag and we all know it.

We have seen better, we have seen Magic, Kareem, Worthy and Kobe who where all less douchey than Lebron. They never ran around talking about being the best of all time, blah blah blah.

Kobe did talk about being the best and Kobe was far from humble. As a young player he blew off is all star teammates to take on MJ one on one. And at the time he was in the all star game as a bench player. Let's not rewrite history to make a point.

Yeah, this is more delusional revisionism that will survive all of us. Kobe's hubris was legendary. For twenty solid years, he never - EVER - allowed for the possibility that he wasn't the best ... and yes, he was smug in talking about it CONSTANTLY and he never let it go if he thought anyone shortchanged him. Who can forget the fixation on ESPN preseason player ratings just in the past few years? But this issue of douchebag behavior here at home always begins and ends with the "I eat first" refrain. The fact that he memorialized this personal philosophy while leading our march into irrelevance on the biggest stage over the past six seasons should have really rattled the resolve of his biggest fans. Instead, they doubled down and nobody's surprised at this point to see "LeBron's the biggest douche ever!" comments in this community. They don't accept the reality that everyone else has confronted and digested already.

Kobe always thought he was the best (from Day 1). He thought everyone else was below him (until the very last day of his career), and he made that view abundantly clear in his comments about stars (Shaq, LeBron, and Dwight, to name a few) and role players alike (Raja Bell, Smush, etc.). He always felt that way, and in some ways it served him well. In other ways, many of which are meaningful, it was a disaster for this organization. I'm of the mind that you take the good with the bad when it comes to Kobe, since the former was more copious. But there are countless soundbites and quotes to undermine all of this (bleep) that he wasn't the biggest douchebag ever. He built a career on classical douchebag principles, elevated it to an art form, but he continues to get a pass from his most ardent fans. And that's a key distinction in my book. The most ardent of Jordan and LeBron fans at least acknowledge their ample flaws ...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Wino wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Yeah, this is more delusional revisionism that will survive all of us. Kobe's hubris was legendary. For twenty solid years, he never - EVER - allowed for the possibility that he wasn't the best ... and yes, he was smug in talking about it CONSTANTLY and he never let it go if he thought anyone shortchanged him. Who can forget the fixation on ESPN preseason player ratings just in the past few years? But this issue of douchebag behavior here at home always begins and ends with the "I eat first" refrain. The fact that he memorialized this personal philosophy while leading our march into irrelevance on the biggest stage over the past six seasons should have really rattled the resolve of his biggest fans. Instead, they doubled down and nobody's surprised at this point to see "LeBron's the biggest douche ever!" comments in this community. They don't accept the reality that everyone else has confronted and digested already.

Kobe always thought he was the best (from Day 1). He thought everyone else was below him (until the very last day of his career), and he made that view abundantly clear in his comments about stars (Shaq, LeBron, and Dwight, to name a few) and role players alike (Raja Bell, Smush, etc.). He always felt that way, and in some ways it served him well. In other ways, many of which are meaningful, it was a disaster for this organization. I'm of the mind that you take the good with the bad when it comes to Kobe, since the former was more copious. But there are countless soundbites and quotes to undermine all of this (bleep) that he wasn't the biggest douchebag ever. He built a career on classical douchebag principles, elevated it to an art form, but he continues to get a pass from his most ardent fans. And that's a key distinction in my book. The most ardent of Jordan and LeBron fans at least acknowledge their ample flaws ...

I don't get this either. Most of the GOAT level guys had tremendous hubris -- anyone who thinks Bird didn't think he was the best is kidding themselves. He could be a complete jerk. On some level all these guys are douchebags. The only difference is (1) the guys in the old days didn't Tweet about it and (2) we don't see the douchebags we like as douchebags;; just the guys we don't like.

Nothing changes a guy from being a "jerk" to a "competitor" faster than putting on your team's jersey.

My take is a lot of the crit
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Seriously? I'm a die hard Kobe fan but James is the 2nd goat in my book. For the record I rank Kobe above Bird.
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject:

cinimod wrote:
Lebron is better, bird is greater.

Nailed it!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Seriously? I'm a die hard Kobe fan but James is the 2nd goat in my book. For the record I rank Kobe above Bird.

I too rank Kobe above Bird, as well as Lebron above Bird
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who was better - Larry Bird or Lebron James?

slavavov wrote:
The thing that really annoys me is that the media and most fans are so blinded by Lebron and the hype machine around him that they defiantly refuse to acknowledge the things that should hurt his legacy.

slavavov wrote:

It just really bothers me that the media hypes him as being one of the two or three greatest players ever, and their reasoning for doing so. For example, if Lebron scored a lot of points in a championship series but shot badly (like in 2015), they'll ignore his bad shooting percentage and give him nothing but praise, but if Kobe or someone else did the same thing (like in 2008), they'll criticize him and say he played badly because he shot badly. There seems to be a double standard for Lebron, and I think it has to do with marketing and the halo effect.

I find it ironic that you complain about all the attention Lebron gets after you started a thread on a Laker forum about him, and then start repeating things that have been discussed over and over again for years. It would be like Cavs fans having a thread complaining about Kobe getting too much attention.

Athletes tend to get better over time, so it shouldn't be a surprise when a new superstar comes along and is talked about as the greatest ever. Sometimes I wonder what Kobe would do against the players in the 80's.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

You have Lebron over KAJ or Jordan?
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

I'm assuming Jordan is his #1
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Can't see Lebron higher than 4th All Time. It will take a couple more titles for him to surpass Magic, Jordan and Kareem, imo.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:

Kobe, LaBron > Bird
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Gellollo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Can't see Lebron higher than 4th All Time. It will take a couple more titles for him to surpass Magic, Jordan and Kareem, imo.

I agree with you. I think all three of these guys are above LeBron. Everyone else is open to debate
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is great, but also one lucky dude as well. In my mind, he's won 1 title. Spurs and Warriors just couldn't finish him off, unfortunately. But reality is that he's made six straight finals, and won half of those. His presence has tipped the scales of the league as much as anyone has. Where he goes, that team has a legit chance. The team he leaves is left much worse off.

Yea, he's played in the East his whole life. But he faced some good competition, Pistons & Celtics, for many of those years. Many quality players wouldn't have led those Cavs teams anywhere, not even close. Can't think of many seasons of losing or missed playoffs (other than when he first started).

I like Bird more, but Lebron is every bit his equal. Hate to say it. And he's more durable.
TrueLies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject:

LeBron is a once in a lifetime athlete. His body was built to dominate, and he's done a great job at using it to it's full potential. Bird is a more skilled player (along with many others) but LeBron is still better.
jestersmash
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

Lebron is the 3rd best player to play the game and the best SF of all time as far as I'm concerned.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Consider era. The way LeBron complains, I don't know how he'd fare in the Bird era.

I think Bird would do very well the way today's no touch game is played.

One on one, I take LeBron.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Lebron better but if I had one game to win I'm taking bird over bron everytime
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who was better - Larry Bird or Lebron James?

Steve007 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
The thing that really annoys me is that the media and most fans are so blinded by Lebron and the hype machine around him that they defiantly refuse to acknowledge the things that should hurt his legacy.

slavavov wrote:

It just really bothers me that the media hypes him as being one of the two or three greatest players ever, and their reasoning for doing so. For example, if Lebron scored a lot of points in a championship series but shot badly (like in 2015), they'll ignore his bad shooting percentage and give him nothing but praise, but if Kobe or someone else did the same thing (like in 2008), they'll criticize him and say he played badly because he shot badly. There seems to be a double standard for Lebron, and I think it has to do with marketing and the halo effect.

I find it ironic that you complain about all the attention Lebron gets after you started a thread on a Laker forum about him, and then start repeating things that have been discussed over and over again for years. It would be like Cavs fans having a thread complaining about Kobe getting too much attention.

Athletes tend to get better over time, so it shouldn't be a surprise when a new superstar comes along and is talked about as the greatest ever. Sometimes I wonder what Kobe would do against the players in the 80's.

My complaint is really about the media, and not the fans. We all know how biased the media is, whether we're talking sports or politics. Media pundits for years have been deifying Lebron and even making excuses for him when he doesn't win a title. Since many people in our society let the TV think for themselves, they simply accept what the media says as gospel.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Wino wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

No doubt that Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Bird and the other all time greats were douchebags. It's somewhat necessary to rise to the top of your craft. But there's a huge difference between being a douchebag on the inside like all those guys were, and showing it on the outside. Kobe, Jordan and Bird have never come out and said straight up that they were the best player in the world. Kobe no doubt said and did some things to rub people the wrong way, but none of them were as egregious as some of the things Lebron has done:

The Decision
Wearing shirts saying "LBJ MVP" and "Check My $tats"
Saying during the 2015 finals "I'm the best player in the world"

There is a fine line between having a healthy level of cockiness that is congruent with your talent level and accomplishments, versus acting narcissistic. Kobe was really measured and calculated with the media to try to avoid getting himself into further controversy. Lebron, on the other hand, is a one-man promotional conglomerate who seems to have no shame.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
the association wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Wino wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

No doubt that Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Bird and the other all time greats were douchebags. It's somewhat necessary to rise to the top of your craft. But there's a huge difference between being a douchebag on the inside like all those guys were, and showing it on the outside. Kobe, Jordan and Bird have never come out and said straight up that they were the best player in the world. Kobe no doubt said and did some things to rub people the wrong way, but none of them were as egregious as some of the things Lebron has done:

The Decision
Wearing shirts saying "LBJ MVP" and "Check My $tats"
Saying during the 2015 finals "I'm the best player in the world"

There is a fine line between having a healthy level of cockiness that is congruent with your talent level and accomplishments, versus acting narcissistic. Kobe was really measured and calculated with the media to try to avoid getting himself into further controversy. Lebron, on the other hand, is a one-man promotional conglomerate who seems to have no shame.

Lebron is a product of his time. It's a boastful, narciccistic, self-obsessed age.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

LeBron is the greater douche. Like #1 of all time.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LeBron is the greater douche. Like #1 of all time.
Qft. Greatness and all. Witness.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: