LAKERS -vs- WARRIORS – 10-19-16 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
And as for Word -

Worse and worse with every new iteration.

Agreed. For as much time, money and memory that they use on hundreds of features we don't use, Word fails to devote similar resources towards a character-by-character save as you type feature (as Google Docs does).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
I liked Ingram in the point forward role. He looked more engaged and second unit seem to respond better with him controlling the ball.

Leaving Ingram at point forward would allow Luke to start Lou and Nick in the back court together (I know just hear me out). Nick can be the primary back court defender and both have good range to space out the second unit. The defense cannot collapse as they do when Huertas is out there and Nick is a better defender than either Huertas or Calderon.

What do you think DB?
So you start with DLO, Lou, Young, Deng/Randle/Nance and Mozgov. I worry about that DLO/Lou combo defensively. But I will say Lou has sacrificed some of his game and is moving the ball pretty well. Nick is going to shoot. It would be a little ugly if Lou did the same.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing DLO, Young, Ingram, Deng, Mozgov. DLO can play on/off ball, so that allows Ingram possessions to be the point. That spaces the floor well for DLO to work and Mozgov to roll. Defensively, that's a lot of length. Nick gets the tough assignment defensively to keep him engaged/focused. Sit Ingram a little early, slide Nick to SF and bring in Clarkson. Then go back to Lou, Clarkson, Ingram when DLO sits and allow Ingram more ball handling duties during that stretch.

Black is probably the odd man out as we try to make Randle/Nance work. That unit picks up the tempo a ton.
With Black, Randle and Nance not having a game beyond 8 feet of the paint that is respected could be another factor on why Yi will make the roster

Yi, Huertsas/Calderon, Nance (SF), Randle (PF) and Clarkson could be a possible successful lineup. Good passing, decent defenders within a team concept that could compensate for Calderon/Huertsas, Randle and Yi
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Laker7 wrote:
I liked Ingram in the point forward role. He looked more engaged and second unit seem to respond better with him controlling the ball.

Leaving Ingram at point forward would allow Luke to start Lou and Nick in the back court together (I know just hear me out). Nick can be the primary back court defender and both have good range to space out the second unit. The defense cannot collapse as they do when Huertas is out there and Nick is a better defender than either Huertas or Calderon.

What do you think DB?

Heh.

So you start with DLO, Lou, Young, Deng/Randle/Nance and Mozgov. I worry about that DLO/Lou combo defensively. But I will say Lou has sacrificed some of his game and is moving the ball pretty well. Nick is going to shoot. It would be a little ugly if Lou did the same.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing DLO, Young, Ingram, Deng, Mozgov. DLO can play on/off ball, so that allows Ingram possessions to be the point. That spaces the floor well for DLO to work and Mozgov to roll. Defensively, that's a lot of length. Nick gets the tough assignment defensively to keep him engaged/focused. Sit Ingram a little early, slide Nick to SF and bring in Clarkson. Then go back to Lou, Clarkson, Ingram when DLO sits and allow Ingram more ball handling duties during that stretch.

Black is probably the odd man out as we try to make Randle/Nance work. That unit picks up the tempo a ton.

This is the lineup I've been thinking about as well. The only issue is that putting Deng at the 4 puts a serious crunch on frontcourt minutes --- you mentioned Black being the odd man out, but are you confident Randle/ Nance can work as a front court? Neither is a good rim protector.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Laker7 wrote:

What do you think DB?

Heh.

I start DLO, JC, Deng, Randle and Mozgov

I bring Ingram, Young, Lou, Black and Nance off the bench in stages.

DLO and Deng come out for Lou and Ingram. Ball handling duties shift from DLO to Ingram. Rest come in as needed.

I have not seen enough good things from Randle at the 5 to think that line up will work. He give up too much defensively and does not have the range yet to draw the other teams bigs out of the paint. He does not box out and tend to slap at the ball rather than move his feet to get better position.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

This is the lineup I've been thinking about as well. The only issue is that putting Deng at the 4 puts a serious crunch on frontcourt minutes --- you mentioned Black being the odd man out, but are you confident Randle/ Nance can work as a front court? Neither is a good rim protector.

No. They're both a roll of the dice right now with their consistency, but we'll have to let them work through that until they get experience. I think with that duo out there, though, it's not so much about rim protection as it as about PnR disruption. They cause a lot of problems with their mobility. And if you're staggering Ingram minutes with this unit like I picture, then you've got even more disruption with how much he does on rotations/recovery with his length/speed. Our small ball advantage would be pressed with speed vs. shooting.

Nance was showing some very good signs of rim protection in the summer league, but that doesn't seem to have carried over yet. There's no reason it shouldn't given more time.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

No. They're both a roll of the dice right now with their consistency, but we'll have to let them work through that until they get experience. I think with that duo out there, though, it's not so much about rim protection as it as about PnR disruption. They cause a lot of problems with their mobility. And if you're staggering Ingram minutes with this unit like I picture, then you've got even more disruption with how much he does on rotations/recovery with his length/speed. Our small ball advantage would be pressed with speed vs. shooting.

Nance was showing some very good signs of rim protection in the summer league, but that doesn't seem to have carried over yet. There's no reason it shouldn't given more time.

Yeah, GT said the same on Emplay's podcast (that Randle would best be served as a 5 who's hyper-aggressive against the PnR). We did see Ingram & Nance both showing ability as rim protectors in the summer league, as well.

I guess my issue is that Randle just never seems as engaged defensively as he needs to be in that sort of hyper-aggressive, switching scheme*? I'm not sure whether it's a lack of stamina or a lack of off-ball motor, but I don't have much confidence that Randle could thrive (or survive, honestly) in a defense that's based on energy and disruption.

*I'm imagining something like the '12-'13 Heat's swarming defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: