The time then Ron Artest went after coach Mike Brown

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: The time then Ron Artest went after coach Mike Brown

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/19/the-time-then-ron-artest-went-after-coach-mike-brown/

Quote:

The time then Ron Artest went after coach Mike Brown

Mike Brown has been around the NBA. Metta World Peace — formerly known as Ron Artest — has been around the NBA, too.

They crossed paths back in the early 2000s in Indiana.

And as the young and fiery Artest did with many a coach, they clashed. Almost coming to blows.

In a story about why Mike Brown has quickly been accepted with the Warriors (where he sits at Steve Kerr’s right hand), Anthony Slater of the San Jose Mercury News got Brown to tell the story. It started when Brown was running practice for a day and ordered a starters vs. bench scrimmage.

The starters lost. Brown told the losers to run. A fuming Artest booted the basketball to the rafters. Brown confronted him.

“I yelled, ‘Ron, don’t kick that ball!’”

“I’ll do what the (bleep) I want,” Artest yelled back.

“Don’t you kick that ball again,” Brown demanded.

Artest didn’t. He instead charged toward Brown.

“I’m thinking, ‘Oh my god, I’m gonna have to fight him,’” Brown said. “Please somebody help me. Michael Smith – Michael ‘The Animal’ Smith – stepped in and stopped the thing.”

How does this tie into respect?

“One thing I love about Mike, he was never afraid to confront me,” World Peace said. “Although I wouldn’t listen at times – I was very, very controversial, in my own world – but Mike always confronted me. I loved it. Because he never let me do wrong. He never, ever let me do wrong.”

Insert your own “Draymond Green could use that” comments here. Brown will fit in just fine in Golden State.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

In other words, Brown was dumb enough to antagonize Ron Artest at the peak of his craziness.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Brown's best suited for an assistant coach
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:

Read the anecdote again. Brown is best suited to be an assistant equipment manager.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
In other words, Brown was dumb enough to antagonize Ron Artest at the peak of his craziness.

If you consider gaining player's respect dumb. Most who have ever coached would not.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

Now you see why MWP respected Kobe. Not only was he an alpha dog but he didn't take crap from nobody.Guys like MWP respect leaders who don't back down.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:

Very much so. He's very smart, in particular over the theory of what a team should run, it's implementation from the main chair that was his issue.

Great assistant and defensive assistant.

Brown was a very nice guy and a players coach, but he didn't take [expletive] from anyone. The man was brave enough to bench Kobe if he felt he was being too erratic with his shooting when the team was going on a run and benched Andrew Bynum for an entire game when he shot an arrant three at the top of the shot clock.

Mike Brown wasn't afraid to bench Kobe when he was iso'ing too much and the team was on a run.

Mike Brown wasn't afraid to bench Bynum an entire game for taking a 3 pointer for no reason.

Mike Brown trolled the media by poking holes in their logic because he WOULDN'T badmouth his own players and dealt with them internally.

Mike Brown actually had an open door policy with his players and actually listened to them when they made suggestions about the offense and otherwise.

I would have taken Mike Brown every flipping day of the week over Byron Scott

At the same time when he disciplined guys in practice or off the court for it, he never ran to the media about it, even when they tried to bait him.

Brown is better suited as an assistant. Mainly due to his micromanaging tendencies.

Mike Brown if not for his micromanaging is the kind of guy that would actually put together a competent staff that could get this team to run the proper offense, he'd get the right defensive assistants to maximize us.

The only thing he'd really need to work on is to let the assistants do the work and relay that to him and just allow him to make adjustments with how to implement it. Which is what Bernie was trying to teach him to do. Ie: Letting the Reigns go a bit.

I think if the Lakers gave him one more game, the last next 3 years may have been very different. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Even when it came to how Mike Brown dealt with player issues. Brown was a Popovich disciple and one thing he took from the guy is you keep everything INTERNAL... unless you are intentionally saying something to the media about the teams performance that you will use to motivate them. But stuff like misbehavings, fines, player problems etc is all internal.

When he and the Lakers were fining Bynum for anything he was doing with his attitude he never said he had, and it was kept internal. The Los Angeles media didn't like the guy cause he wouldn't bite. Check out the professional reporters TRYING to get him to badmouth one of his players (Bynum in this case)

6:30 for the good stuff, but the entire interview's pretty good, as he shuts them down at every turn as they try to get him to badmouth his player.

He doesn't bite, in fact he finds it hilarious, and he settles it on that it's all handled internally. It is funny watching the Los Angeles media get frustrated that he won't bite and/or talk bad about one of his players and disciplines/handles them in private.

Now compare that to how Byron dealt with the media.

Mike Brown:
"So what you're trying to get me to do, is make a big story of it, and if I make a big story of it, then that is your definition of not enabling him?" "If something happens in your household are you gonna go and tell everybody out in the street 'hey this is what I did and because I did this I didn't enable my daughter!' No, you wouldn't do that." aaand shut down.... he knew how to deal with the LA media and in this interview made them look like the fisherman they can be. Yet fans actually called Brown 'spineless' for this

Byron:
"These guys are weak and soft. I told them that. Who's gonna get in the foxhole with me?" "D'Angelo is immature and doesn't work hard enough." "I don't think he has it in him to win games." "Of course Nick Young was fined, he did this."

Mike Brown as an assistant for us would probably have been getting the same kind of love Jesse Murmuy gets from the fans. That's where Brown is best at as well.

Glad to see him on Golden State.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

If you consider gaining player's respect dumb. Most who have ever coached would not.

Brown and gaining player's respect mentioned in the same post. LOL.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

Very much so. He's very smart, in particular over the theory of what a team should run, it's implementation from the main chair that was his issue.

Great assistant and defensive assistant.

Brown was a very nice guy and a players coach, but he didn't take [expletive] from anyone. The man was brave enough to bench Kobe if he felt he was being too erratic with his shooting when the team was going on a run and benched Andrew Bynum for an entire game when he shot an arrant three at the top of the shot clock.

Mike Brown wasn't afraid to bench Kobe when he was iso'ing too much and the team was on a run.

Mike Brown wasn't afraid to bench Bynum an entire game for taking a 3 pointer for no reason.

Mike Brown trolled the media by poking holes in their logic because he WOULDN'T badmouth his own players and dealt with them internally.

Mike Brown actually had an open door policy with his players and actually listened to them when they made suggestions about the offense and otherwise.

I would have taken Mike Brown every flipping day of the week over Byron Scott

At the same time when he disciplined guys in practice or off the court for it, he never ran to the media about it, even when they tried to bait him.

Brown is better suited as an assistant. Mainly due to his micromanaging tendencies.

Mike Brown if not for his micromanaging is the kind of guy that would actually put together a competent staff that could get this team to run the proper offense, he'd get the right defensive assistants to maximize us.

The only thing he'd really need to work on is to let the assistants do the work and relay that to him and just allow him to make adjustments with how to implement it. Which is what Bernie was trying to teach him to do. Ie: Letting the Reigns go a bit.

I think if the Lakers gave him one more game, the last next 3 years may have been very different. Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

Even when it came to how Mike Brown dealt with player issues. Brown was a Popovich disciple and one thing he took from the guy is you keep everything INTERNAL... unless you are intentionally saying something to the media about the teams performance that you will use to motivate them. But stuff like misbehavings, fines, player problems etc is all internal.

When he and the Lakers were fining Bynum for anything he was doing with his attitude he never said he had, and it was kept internal. The Los Angeles media didn't like the guy cause he wouldn't bite. Check out the professional reporters TRYING to get him to badmouth one of his players (Bynum in this case)

6:30 for the good stuff, but the entire interview's pretty good, as he shuts them down at every turn as they try to get him to badmouth his player.

He doesn't bite, in fact he finds it hilarious, and he settles it on that it's all handled internally. It is funny watching the Los Angeles media get frustrated that he won't bite and/or talk bad about one of his players and disciplines/handles them in private.

Now compare that to how Byron dealt with the media.

Mike Brown:
"So what you're trying to get me to do, is make a big story of it, and if I make a big story of it, then that is your definition of not enabling him?" "If something happens in your household are you gonna go and tell everybody out in the street 'hey this is what I did and because I did this I didn't enable my daughter!' No, you wouldn't do that." aaand shut down.... he knew how to deal with the LA media and in this interview made them look like the fisherman they can be. Yet fans actually called Brown 'spineless' for this

Byron:
"These guys are weak and soft. I told them that. Who's gonna get in the foxhole with me?" "D'Angelo is immature and doesn't work hard enough." "I don't think he has it in him to win games." "Of course Nick Young was fined, he did this."

Mike Brown as an assistant for us would probably have been getting the same kind of love Jesse Murmuy gets from the fans. That's where Brown is best at as well.

Glad to see him on Golden State.

Awesome post. Great points backed with data.

Also like it because I agree with almost all of it. He's a great asisstant coach, understands the game, knows how to work the media, even keeled and overall seems like an upstanding individual. Biggest issue with him is he over manages and sometimes seemed he was in over his head with our team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: