Preaseason Battles for Starting Positions/Rotation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Looking over the detailed stats through the first 6 games, and thought the comparison of Marcelo and Calderon was interesting. Most have concluded Calderon has performed better, but the numbers say otherwise. Each have played in 4 games...Calderon 50 Minutes & Huertas 51 Minutes

Per 36:

Huertas - 13.4 PPG / 5.6 RPG / 9.2 APG on 36.4% FG%

Calderon - 12.2 PPG / 2.9 RPG / 6.5 APG on 50% FG%
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Looking over the detailed stats through the first 6 games, and thought the comparison of Marcelo and Calderon was interesting. Most have concluded Calderon has performed better, but the numbers say otherwise. Each have played in 4 games...Calderon 50 Minutes & Huertas 51 Minutes

Per 36:

Neither are bad options but I think the FG%, 3pt% and ability to play off the ball are why most choose Calderon
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Per 36:

That FG% though...ugh. Regular season teams will make Huertas into a major liability again.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Per 36:

That FG% though...ugh. Regular season teams will make Huertas into a major liability again.

I feel Calderon has looked better also....but I was just surprised by the production stats. Yeah, the FG% matters as it can have indirect benefits for teammates also.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Will the final cuts likely happen after tonight, or will we wait until after the last preseason game? Usually teams like to roll with their planned rotation the last game or two of preseason.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

We'll probably keep Yi because of the structure of his contract but some team will pick T-Rob up ASAP.
I wish there was a reasonable way we could keep both.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

GT spitting hot fire with his hot bold predictions on that podcast:

1. That Deng will start at PF by season'a end with Ingram starting at SF

2. Lou will be traded.

Just the messenger.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

2. Lou will be traded.

Just the messenger.

I'm more inclined to agree with number 2 if Young has indeed redeemed himself. Lou was essentially signed to replace what Young was supposed to be, and Young's better length and defense fits the system better, while also being a good spot up and decent bail out option.

I'd like him to be right about number 1, because I think separating Randle and Mozgov especially early against starters is a good thing, with Randle (playing big minutes) and Nance off the bench being a powerful core of the second unit. I might actually do the same thing with Nick Young and Clarkson. Close with what works, so no insult intended to Clarkson and Randle, who have starting talent, just using them in a creative way to expand the power of your units.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

2. Lou will be traded.

Just the messenger.

I'm more inclined to agree with number 2 if Young has indeed redeemed himself. Lou was essentially signed to replace what Young was supposed to be, and Young's better length and defense fits the system better, while also being a good spot up and decent bail out option.

I'd like him to be right about number 1, because I think separating Randle and Mozgov especially early against starters is a good thing, with Randle (playing big minutes) and Nance off the bench being a powerful core of the second unit. I might actually do the same thing with Nick Young and Clarkson. Close with what works, so no insult intended to Clarkson and Randle, who have starting talent, just using them in a creative way to expand the power of your units.

That's a lot of Nance + Randle playing together. You think they'll survive defensively for extended minutes? I suppose with Ingram at the 3, they have some rim protection... but it still seems soft on the interior.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

2. Lou will be traded.

Just the messenger.

That's a lot of Nance + Randle playing together. You think they'll survive defensively for extended minutes? I suppose with Ingram at the 3, they have some rim protection... but it still seems soft on the interior.

It's not a ton, because you mix in Black as well. Maybe 10-12 minutes per game.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Per 36:

I feel Calderon has looked better also....but I was just surprised by the production stats. Yeah, the FG% matters as it can have indirect benefits for teammates also.

Also keep in mind Calderon's turnvoers per 36 is 0.9 versus 4.5 for Huertas. It's huge and further illustrates the fact that Calderon won't do something stupid. When he has an open shot, he takes and makes it. Huertas is afraid to shoot and ends up trying to thread the needle or doing a jump pass that goes the other way.

It's not even close between the two. I actually don't mind Huertas as a 3rd guard, injury insurance, garbage time player but I have a strong feeling he won't sniff playing time when it matters.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

Sacre >> Yi ....
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

Why I'm not a fan of Bres:

Quote:
Mike Bresnahan Verified account
‏@Mike_Bresnahan

It looks like Yi Jianlian will be the Lakers' backup center. Looks good in practice, hitting 3s, potentially giving the team a stretch five.

5:40 PM - 30 Sep 2016

Inaccurate assessment after inaccurate assessment. The package deal for Cousins trade suggestion in that Real Training Camp interview was pretty comical too.

Why not just bring back Coach Dave Miller? *sigh*
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

I'm ready to move on from Huertas. Calderon is better and we don't need two old backup PG's when we can also play Clarkson at PG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

If we move on then Calderon is most likely the player to be traded. His $7.7 mil contract could bring back a decent bench player.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

2. Lou will be traded.

Just the messenger.

Lou is a niche player that brings instant offensive power from the bench and can be a nice weapon for a number of teams. But his specialty is not exactly what we need now, so Byron and Luke tried to use him in different ways, which doesn't work.

On the other hand we need a defensive minded G, even if he lacks offensive power. That's a trade waiting to happen, we just need to find the right partner.

I don't dislike Lou, I believe he tries his best given his limitations in terms of defense and length, but he simply doesn't fit the team.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Quote:
‏@Mike_Bresnahan

It looks like Yi Jianlian will be the Lakers' backup center. Looks good in practice, hitting 3s, potentially giving the team a stretch five.

Inaccurate assessment after inaccurate assessment. The package deal for Cousins trade suggestion in that Real Training Camp interview was pretty comical too.

Bres is a total dufus but I agree with him about Yi. If TRob had a jumper he would be the guy. Actually, if we had not signed TB to his contract I would keep both TRob and Yi and jettison Black.

Yi is hitting the jumper now in games and it looks good aside from the slow release. But he will really only be taking wide open shots, so that is not a huge issue for him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Quote:
‏@Mike_Bresnahan

Bres is a total dufus but I agree with him about Yi. If TRob had a jumper he would be the guy. Actually, if we had not signed TB to his contract I would keep both TRob and Yi and jettison Black.

Yi is hitting the jumper now in games and it looks good aside from the slow release. But he will really only be taking wide open shots, so that is not a huge issue for him.
I think Tarik has looked great all preseason, honestly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

2. Lou will be traded.

Just the messenger.

Lou is a niche player that brings instant offensive power from the bench and can be a nice weapon for a number of teams. But his specialty is not exactly what we need now, so Byron and Luke tried to use him in different ways, which doesn't work.

On the other hand we need a defensive minded G, even if he lacks offensive power. That's a trade waiting to happen, we just need to find the right partner.

I don't dislike Lou, I believe he tries his best given his limitations in terms of defense and length, but he simply doesn't fit the team.

Lou isn't a bad player at all. It's just an issue of fit, and not sure how he fits on this team going forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

According to WOJ, Celtics continue to offer James Young/RJ Hunter for a 2nd round pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

Good idea trying to get something for them before they release one of them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: