NBA and NBPA pushed closer to a deal on a new CBA

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: NBA and NBPA pushed closer to a deal on a new CBA

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 26m26 minutes ago
Sources: After Wednesday labor meeting, NBA and NBPA pushed closer to a deal on a new CBA. Most major items agreed on, deal within sight.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 24m24 minutes ago
Among items that will be in final CBA agreement: NBA's "one-and-done" college draft rule will remain in place, sources tell @TheVertical.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 14m14 minutes ago
The NBA and NBPA's Basketball Related Income (BRI) split will be unchanged in a new CBA deal, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Ah, man. If true, that's no fun.
The Brain
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Seriously, Adam Silver in 2 years has been as flawless a commish as you could be. I do wish the one and done was off the table though. Either scrap it or make it a 2 and done.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:
Seriously, Adam Silver in 2 years has been as flawless a commish as you could be. I do wish the one and done was off the table though. Either scrap it or make it a 2 and done.

The one and done rule is completely exploitative, and I am surprised no one has yet fought it with an age-discrimination suit. I don't know that there's much evidence that 1 or 2 years in college are better for a player than coming straight out of high school -- in all cases, some will be busts, some will make it.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

It's collectively bargained, so it's legal. And it's really not that it's better for a given player, it's that the league gets an extra year to see how that player develops before deciding whether he becomes a "given player."

It's an issue that was never going to get any pushback from the players. The raison d'etre of a union is to protect its membership, and for every young guy the league lets in, a current member loses his job.

BTW, I was told back in July that this was going to get done before December 15, so I'm glad it's all working out according to plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
It's collectively bargained, so it's legal.

It's legal in that it's withstood cases that take an antitrust approach. As far as I know, no one's ever challenged it based on age discrimination, though there has been speculation that challenge could be successful.

LarryCoon wrote:
And it's really not that it's better for a given player, it's that the league gets an extra year to see how that player develops before deciding whether he becomes a "given player."

Well, the league (and union) do often perpetuated the hypocrisy that they are protecting players who aren't ready for the league. That aside, I don't see why the league's self-interest should trump the self-interest of the players coming into the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
It's collectively bargained, so it's legal. And it's really not that it's better for a given player, it's that the league gets an extra year to see how that player develops before deciding whether he becomes a "given player."

It's an issue that was never going to get any pushback from the players. The raison d'etre of a union is to protect its membership, and for every young guy the league lets in, a current member loses his job.

BTW, I was told back in July that this was going to get done before December 15, so I'm glad it's all working out according to plan.

I couldn't see how the union could be for or against the one and done rule. The number of players in the league is basically stagnant. I am not sure how union dues are paid, but if it is a percentage of income then maybe more vets would mean higher paid players and more dues.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

I couldn't see how the union could be for or against the one and done rule. The number of players in the league is basically stagnant. I am not sure how union dues are paid, but if it is a percentage of income then maybe more vets would mean higher paid players and more dues.

That didn't make a lot of sense. Every year, there are going to be first round picks with guaranteed salaries who will take the place of players who retire or are cut.

The one-and-done rule only affects who the replacements are; it doesn't quash the inevitable changing of the guard.

It's simplistic to suggest that the union gives no thought or feels no responsibility to the next wave of players.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Maurice Clarett go after the NFL for similar reasons and lost? I don't think it'd end well.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

The non-statutory labor exemption does not apply to discrimination claims. Otherwise, an employer and a union could bargain for racial or sexual preferences. Title VII has specific provisions to prohibit this.

However, the age discrimination statute applies only to workers who are over 40. If the NBA and the NBPA negotiated a provision that required players to retire at 40, or something like that, it would be illegal. 18 year olds get no protection.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Didn't Maurice Clarett go after the NFL for similar reasons and lost? I don't think it'd end well.

Yes. That was an antitrust claim, not an age discrimination claim.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

The non-statutory labor exemption does not apply to discrimination claims. Otherwise, an employer and a union could bargain for racial or sexual preferences. Title VII has specific provisions to prohibit this.

However, the age discrimination statute applies only to workers who are over 40. If the NBA and the NBPA negotiated a provision that required players to retire at 40, or something like that, it would be illegal. 18 year olds get no protection.

If I'm correct, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that reverse age discrimination wasn't illegal in a case 15 or so years ago. However, I think all but one or two of the six judges in the majority are no longer on the court. So is it feasible a new court could rule the other way? (I have to admit I don't know what the current court's leaning on this matter is)
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:

His only blemish in my eyes was jumping too soon at the jerseys ads. Why do it when the league is flourishing? Save it for when the league might have some trouble down the road. Now the only next step is to go soccer style and remove the team and city names in favor of companies. I think that was the one thing David Stern really got right, as much as he sucked.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

If I'm correct, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that reverse age discrimination wasn't illegal in a case 15 or so years ago. However, I think all but one or two of the six judges in the majority are no longer on the court. So is it feasible a new court could rule the other way? (I have to admit I don't know what the current court's leaning on this matter is)

That's not quite correct. The plaintiffs in that case were 40 and over and thus were covered by the statute. The argument was that the company was providing special benefits to people who were over 50, but were not providing those benefits to people who were 40-49. In other words, the company was discriminating against people who were 40-49. That's no help to an 18 year old, and besides, the 40-49 plaintiffs lost.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject:

The Brain wrote:

He will be "flawless" once he gets the Lakers a #1 pick this year, even if we have the 10th worst record.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject:

The one and done helps NCAA keeps top HS prospects in the country albeit inky for 1 yr (better than zero yr), that's 1 yr worth of star $ that don't need to be shared with the player
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

No amnesty is going to bite these owners and GMs in the butt. They handed out some huge contracts this summer. I would have thought the amnesty being there was a given.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Brain wrote:

He will be "flawless" once he gets the Lakers a #1 pick this year, even if we have the 10th worst record.

There's no more bent envelopes though.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

That's not quite correct. The plaintiffs in that case were 40 and over and thus were covered by the statute. The argument was that the company was providing special benefits to people who were over 50, but were not providing those benefits to people who were 40-49. In other words, the company was discriminating against people who were 40-49. That's no help to an 18 year old, and besides, the 40-49 plaintiffs lost.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

now is a very crappy time to be a crappy team. Great teams have much more room to sign/resign valuable players while crappy teams like the Lakers are stuck overpaying for over the hill players like Deng and Moz.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

So no shortened season... how disappointing. Kidding
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Read somewhere that they are gonna add 2 spots for D-League spots. So basically you have your 15 players plus 2 that are exclusively in the D-League. I'm guessing then you can also have the 14th and 15 guy jump back and forth. This would be pretty big for the D-League if true.

via bigfetz

HUGE if true. Especially for player development.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Do the owners get another trade veto in the new agreement? .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: