Lakers Want To Keep Metta As A Assistant Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

I hope he takes it. Also hope he'll be the first assistant coach to be on the bench dressed in his full jersey.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
I hope he takes it. Also hope he'll be the first assistant coach to be on the bench dressed in his full jersey.

Wearing the jersey over the suit.

He could probably make more money overseas, but I'm sure he likes living in Southern California. He's got kids too, idk if they live in Socal, but anywhere in the US is still closer.

If he truly wants to be a coach, this is probably as good of an opportunity he's going to get. Who knows what kind of offer he'd get if he went overseas for a couple years.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:

What's the difference between 15th man on the roster and an Assistant Coach? Other than pay and what you wear to the games/practice...
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Lol Ron can barely complete a sentence but maybe he's great coach when no one is looking

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I thought he wanted to play for another few years?

Want and can or two different things for him at this point.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
What's the difference between 15th man on the roster and an Assistant Coach? Other than pay and what you wear to the games/practice...

Robert Sacre started a game last season. I think MWP started 5 games as well. The 14-15th men on the team have tons of significance. Players will inevitably get injured or burned out through the course of the season, and the last men on the roster will have to pick up the slack.

Popovich is famous (or infamous) for resting his starters some games and going with the bench, third unit at times. Luke/Kerr come from the Popovich school of coaching can you can expect a Yi/TRob to have a significant role later on.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:

A LOT of money
the minimum veterans salary for a player with 10+ years experience is something like $1.45 million. Most inexperienced assistant coaches make about $100k.
yeah, I know you said "other than money" but that's a big difference in money if he hasn't invested his past paydays well
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Not counting whatever money he's made over his album, Artest has made 75 million dollars over his career. I'm sure that a difference in like 700K is like chump change to him. I'd be delighted to have him as an assistant though
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject:

He's not stupid.

defense wrote:
Lol Ron can barely complete a sentence but maybe he's great coach when no one is looking

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
They decided to cut him a week ago, but it is still being delegated down the chain because everyone is too scared to tell him....finally Jesse Mermuys will get sent in tomorrow to break the news.

I imagine that Mermuys would break the news to Metta so nicely that Metta won't even realize he's been cut.

Jesse: Mr. Peace...I...*Jim Buss coughs*...we... really love your passion for the game. You have basketball running in your veins and we are all so grateful for how much you've helped the younger guys.

Metta: Thanks. So I made the cut?

Jesse: Metta, your passion for the game is just so contagious. I can not say enough how much we love having you around here and we hope to find a place for you here with the Laker organization. You're like family.

Metta: Cool. Let's get my agent so I can sign. I'm in shape and I'm excited to get started.

*Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak look at each other, then simultaneously exit the room*

Jesse: Um...Metta you've been an inspiration for millions! You've been a champion, and a defensive genius! What I'm trying to say is...wow...you really are in great shape. See, that's the kind of work ethic that we *looks behind him and notices the empty room*...I..most admire about you! Luke and I and the rest of the coaches would really be honored if you joined us.

Metta: Oh we havin a film session for the next game?

*camera fades out to aerial shot of the Lakers practice facility as the sun sets in the distance*

Jesse: You know, Metta, you've been a champion with the Lakers.......
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
That would be awesome, though it would be a MAJOR paycut for him and increased work if he's becoming a traditional assistant coach.

Better than that zero he's about to earn as a player lol. All good things come to an end and then they have to figure out what they're going to do after their playing career. I think this would be groovy for him and I hope it can happen. Like a lot of folks I've actually been saying this for a minute.
He can take his talents to china for more than he will make as an asst coach.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
defense wrote:

He's not stupid.

He's one of the wisest people in the league
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Want To Keep Metta As A Assistant Coach

I think it says a lot about him as a person to go from where he was (a selfish teammate with a bad attitude) to where he is now. With the club wanting to keep him around for his influence on a young team.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject:

Well let's keep T Robinson as an assistant too just in case Yi doesn't pan out.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject:

Ron used to hang out at Sports Club LA a lot when he was playing for the Lakers. Saw him there all the time... a lot of times just hanging out by the pool lol. Really nice guy and completely genuine. Very different from what the media would have you believe about him.

I liked him a lot. Very approachable and fun to talk to.

Used to play basketball with Mark Wahlberg there too and he's also a very nice guy.

Nicest of all was Shaq though. He was amazing.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject:

Lakers are making all the right decisions since this summer.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
Lakers are making all the right decisions since this summer.

This one has been long overdue.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I just can not understand how Metta can have so much say about whether he is a player or a coach with the Lakers? I mean, if he does not want to coach, he should be let go and that's all. His players days at NBA are long gone.

Or do the Lakers really expect him to play when Deng is resting/injured?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject:

As much as I like Metta, I can't think of many reasons why the Lakers should have kept him. I know he brings experience and he's good to have around for the young players, wasn't he that for last season? I know he wants to keep on playing but he's not good enough for the NBA anymore and isn't going to play unless it's a blowout. He keeps mentioning he wants to play for another three seasons, so does that mean Lakers' fans have to go through Metta getting an invite to training camp and then making the roster for the next couple of seasons as well?

I really think Metta should retire and join the coaching staff, I know he doesn't want to do that yet.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
As much as I like Metta, I can't think of many reasons why the Lakers should have kept him. I know he brings experience and he's good to have around for the young players, wasn't he that for last season? I know he wants to keep on playing but he's not good enough for the NBA anymore and isn't going to play unless it's a blowout. He keeps mentioning he wants to play for another three seasons, so does that mean Lakers' fans have to go through Metta getting an invite to training camp and then making the roster for the next couple of seasons as well?

I really think Metta should retire and join the coaching staff, I know he doesn't want to do that yet.

If the Lakers keep on giving him 1M, why not keep on playing?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject:

I love what MWP has done for the Lakers, but I do hope this is the last year he will be on the team as a player. We need to start finding players to invest that final 15th spot on that can actually grow/play. MWP has obviously tapped out playing wise.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I love what MWP has done for the Lakers, but I do hope this is the last year he will be on the team as a player. We need to start finding players to invest that final 15th spot on that can actually grow/play. MWP has obviously tapped out playing wise.

Exactly. We need to find our Johnathon Simmons. Freakin Spurs man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: