Happy Birthday, Eddie Jones!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject:

Loved watching young Kobe and Eddie run the break together as a kid.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Wasn't he the Laker's first lottery pick? Happy birthday EJ

He was the best pick from 5-10, too. Four man top heavy, Minny got the booby prize with Donyell at 4. Clippers took Lamond Murray at 7, Philly took Sharone Wright at 6 (injury case), Celtics took Eric Montross at 9. Yikes!

Eddie was a year older than Shaq. The days when you could nab a 3-4 year player who could play right away and play well. He took a lot of minutes from Peeler, who had already been in the league for 2 yrs and he got Worthy to hang em up and made Christie superfluous.

It's interesting that we had Peeler, Christie and Eddie all at the same time. I had great hopes for the first 2 in terms of replacing Byron as our starting 2, but neither of them were ever consistent as Lakers. Eddie came out of nowhere and was a complete breath of fresh air. Eddie has a pretty impressive highlight reel, but one of the things you'll notice is that he never glorifies himself in any of those highlights. He was the perfect backcourt complement to Nick, who was the exact opposite personality-wise.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
Damn, I missed this. Happy Belated Birthday, Eddie!

Loved Eddie Jones growing up. Loved that entire team, in fact. Nick the Quick. Cedric. Elden and Vlade as the bigs. Peeler and Sedale off the bench. Games called by Chicky Baby. Good times. Great times!

But looking back at the birthday boy, Eddie was solid defender ranking high on the steals list. Smooth slasher to the rim, but also able to hit the 3-point shot. All-Star. Loved his game and was sad to see him go. Always a Laker.

E-DDIE! E-DDIE! E-DDIE! E-DDIE!

He defended MJ very well as well, which makes it hard to understand why he had so much trouble with JR Rider.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Gomur wrote:
Damn, I missed this. Happy Belated Birthday, Eddie!

Loved Eddie Jones growing up. Loved that entire team, in fact. Nick the Quick. Cedric. Elden and Vlade as the bigs. Peeler and Sedale off the bench. Games called by Chicky Baby. Good times. Great times!

But looking back at the birthday boy, Eddie was solid defender ranking high on the steals list. Smooth slasher to the rim, but also able to hit the 3-point shot. All-Star. Loved his game and was sad to see him go. Always a Laker.

E-DDIE! E-DDIE! E-DDIE! E-DDIE!

He defended MJ very well as well, which makes it hard to understand why he had so much trouble with JR Rider.

I seem to recall that he was hit or miss against stocky 2s like Rider (who had forward like post moves), Richmond, Drexler. Payton was another guy along Jordan's lines. Great player, post game as well, but although both were definitely capable of physical play, they were MORE finesse than physical overall. I remember a great block Jones got on Payton, totally stuffed him under the rim and Payton nodded his head and gave him dap because he knew he got packed bad (it was a jumpball block where Eddie made Payton's feet hit the ground with the ball still in his hand). In the very first game Eddie played against Payton, Gary was an ahole. He was jawing a bunch of Oaktown garbage at Eddie and he looked like "what's yer problem?!" It took him out of his game. I have that game, the camera panned in on it once because the camera guy noticed Gary kept getting at him. Matter of fact, Eddie packed Mike himself in the 1997 (iirc) home game. He got faked and still recovered enough to block the shot down while he was twisting his body. Opposing guards did NOT often block shots by Michael Jordan. Any block or steal on Mike was a pretty uncommon event.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Was my favorite player growing up before Kobe came on the scene

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: