Final Roster-Who Survives and Who Gets Cut?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

It appears the roster is set

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 17m17 minutes ago

Metta World Peace: "I definitely had to earn it. Some people think it's easy."

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 11m11 minutes ago

Metta World Peace attributes his prolonged career to a change in lifestyle, including avoiding alcohol and junk food.

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 10m10 minutes ago

Thomas Robinson calls making the roster "one goal completed."

"On to the next one now."

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 41s41 seconds ago

Luke Walton on Metta World Peace: "He gives us an edge and a toughness."

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 2m2 minutes ago

Luke Walton on Thomas Robinson: "He earned his spot by bringing it every day."

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers · 54s54 seconds ago

Luke Walton says he is "shocked" that Thomas Robinson hadn't stuck with a team thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Let's go Lakers.

I like the team, has a bunch of high character guys who are likeable.

TRob is my new Upshaw. Rooting for this kid to make it in the League.
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

No Yi. No Brown. Christmas come early!
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

QuadDouble wrote:
No Yi. No Brown. Christmas come early!

Well we still have to pay a $1.1 mil to make those two go away
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

MWP is a good mentor. T-rob provides consistent energy and production. Both are hard-nosed scrappers. Let's roll!
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely ridiculous keeping MWP as a player, he's got absolutely nothing to offer there.

Last edited by deal on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I get why MWP wants to keep playing, but at some point he'll get tired of all the losing. I guess he is fine with limited minutes and teaching the young guys what it takes to succeed in the league.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Absolutely rediculous keeping MWP as a player, he's got absolutely nothing to offer there.

He can mentor the younger players....something Nick Young didn't do last season.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Surprising ending of the preseason.
First a borderline player asks to be released due to lack of PT. Then MWP over AB.

Feel good for TRob. MWP is a head scratcher.
I guess MWP can be waived whenever the team needs a spot.

Maybe they think twice and pick up Hunter?

Quote:

While Young was relieved in learning that he had made the team, it was also a bittersweet moment for him. By keeping Young, the Celtics were forced to cut one player. At 5 p.m. Monday evening the organization announced that it had waived second-year guard R.J. Hunter, who Young says was his closest friend on the team.

Quote:

While World Peace didn’t play much during the preseason, Robinson made sure to stand out in his brief appearances.

Averaging only 7.6 minutes per night, he averaged 3.7 points and 3.7 assists, while shooting 8-of-12 in six games.

The Washington, D.C., native — who averaged 15.3 points and 13.0 rebounds over his final six games of last year — was strong on both sides of the glass, picking up 11 offensive rebounds and 11 defensive rebounds in 45 total preseason minutes.

In fact, when not applying a playing-time limit, Robinson’s 23.3 rebounds per 48 minutes were third among all players in the preseason, trailing only Alan Williams (25.1) and Andre Drummond (25.0).

“I don’t come in the gym and work on energy or rebounding,” Robinson said. “That’s something I’ve just got a knack for.”

Since he was drafted fifth overall by Sacramento in 2012, Robinson has already bounced around to Houston, Portland, Philadelphia and Brooklyn before landing in Los Angeles.

After coaching him for a month, Walton says he is “shocked” that he hasn’t been able to stick with a team.

He admitted that Robinson was “nowhere even on my radar” before deciding that the Lakers might as well invite him to training camp after he kept performing well during the team’s offseason pick-up games.

“You assume once you get to a more structured setting you’d see some reasons why he hasn’t stuck,” Walton said. “And he was great. He was great all throughout training camp.”

Walton said that Robinson impressed him by continuing to be involved even when he wasn’t getting playing time, providing a constant voice in huddles and at halftime.

Robinson said he wasn’t able to sleep Sunday night when he didn’t know if he was going to be cut, and that the drive to the Lakers’ practice facility felt like the longest yet.

But when he reached his destination, he was relieved to hear the news.

“I won’t say I’m excited because I made the team but nothing is done yet,” Robinson said. “I shouldn’t have been in that position, but things happen the way they happen and I work my way out of it.”

Last edited by LaxT on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:
Absolutely rediculous keeping MWP as a player, he's got absolutely nothing to offer there.

He can mentor the younger players....something Nick Young didn't do last season.

That's Deng's job. Lakers should find the best "possible" pieces and put those in place. MWP as player is worthless...
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

So this is the final roster, correct?

PG: D. Russell, J. Calderon, M. Huertas
SG: J. Clarkson, N. Young, L. Williams
SF: L. Deng, B. Ingram, M. World Peace
PF: J. Randle, L. Nance Jr., T. Robinson
C: T. Mozgov, T. Black, I. Zubac

Sucks for Yi and Anthony Brown, but I'm happy with this squad.
smoothazsilk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

That's Deng's job. Lakers should find the best "possible" pieces and put those in place. MWP as player is worthless...

Great post! why sign MWP? you mean to tell me they could not find someone on this earth better than him?

guess not when you sign Heurtas, Calderon and Mozgov.

I do like them keeping TRob though
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject:

Why sign MWP as the 15th player? You people thinks you know better than Luke!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

At this point in our trajectory, I think the "Sam Hinkie" principle of asset value or the potential of the asset value is paramount. Even if you only think AB had a 20% of developing into a solid 3&D player, that is a far better investment than maintaining a player that there is a 100% chance of $0 market value beyond the Lakers.

Not everyone subscribes to these methods, and thats fair....but the the only methods to expedite a turnaround are sign game changing FA's, youth develops ahead of schedule, and success with low - moderate risk player development. We have not signed any FA's that speed up our efforts, Russell appears to be developing faster than expected & hopefully Ingram will show those signs this year, and TRob is a great example of a low - moderate risk player development that has a chance to pay dividends. So we are doing ok, but where as AB fit nicely in that last category, his value in our rebuild was potentially greater than MWP's.

It is what it is, and this is only one of several actions by the FO and Luke since the summer that I simply do not think optimize our efforts. I think my opinion is reasonable, and more importantly I do not see a strong reason to provide the FO or Luke any significant level of "benefit of the doubt" because neither have ever been successful in a bottom up rebuild.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject:

Metta and Luke won a title together. It's the 15th spot. I may not agree, but I get it.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject:

if you had to name someone that could offset randle's strength and speed in practice so he develops faster.. that'd be MWP.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
if you had to name someone that could offset randle's strength and speed in practice so he develops faster.. that'd be MWP.

are you being sarcastic? Metta & speed? Robinson will do fine in both areas to challenge Randle.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

At this point in our trajectory, I think the "Sam Hinkie" principle of asset value or the potential of the asset value is paramount. Even if you only think AB had a 20% of developing into a solid 3&D player, that is a far better investment than maintaining a player that there is a 100% chance of $0 market value beyond the Lakers.

Not everyone subscribes to these methods, and thats fair....but the the only methods to expedite a turnaround are sign game changing FA's, youth develops ahead of schedule, and success with low - moderate risk player development. We have not signed any FA's that speed up our efforts, Russell appears to be developing faster than expected & hopefully Ingram will show those signs this year, and TRob is a great example of a low - moderate risk player development that has a chance to pay dividends. So we are doing ok, but where as AB fit nicely in that last category, his value in our rebuild was potentially greater than MWP's.

It is what it is, and this is only one of several actions by the FO and Luke since the summer that I simply do not think optimize our efforts. I think my opinion is reasonable, and more importantly I do not see a strong reason to provide the FO or Luke any significant level of "benefit of the doubt" because neither have ever been successful in a bottom up rebuild.

Maybe the organization sees MWP as simply the better player compared to AB?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

are you asking a question or making a claim?
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:

They said DFish was over the hill as well. Turns out he was one of the missing pieces to a championship.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:
deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

are you asking a question or making a claim?

At this point it really doesn't matter.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

Can you not wrap your head around the idea that they believe Metta will help improve the actually good young players we already have?

Deng can't mentor everyone. TROB doesn't nearly have the knowledge or experience that Metta has. One is a 15+ year vet, former DPOY, former all star, NBA world champion, TROB is not.

The idea is to increase the value of their current high valued assets by both increasing the developmental actors and decreasing the assets being developed.

Every time a coach is working with Abrown they aren't working with Clarkson. Every time Deng is working with Ingram he's not working with Russel or Randle.

You're asking for the attention of our coaches to be taken away from our starters/core for a very generous 20% chance of our 14-15th player actually contributing.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
adkindo wrote:
deal wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
deal wrote:

Can you not wrap your head around the idea that they believe Metta will help improve the actually good young players we already have?

Deng can't mentor everyone. TROB doesn't nearly have the knowledge or experience that Metta has. One is a 15+ year vet, former DPOY, former all star, NBA world champion, TROB is not.

The idea is to increase the value of their current high valued assets by both increasing the developmental actors and decreasing the assets being developed.

Every time a coach is working with Abrown they aren't working with Clarkson. Every time Deng is working with Ingram he's not working with Russel or Randle.

You're asking for the attention of our coaches to be taken away from our starters/core for a very generous 20% chance of our 14-15th player actually contributing.

Having too many project players to start a season can be a bad thing. I would rather have the coaching staff's attention spent on more minutes with any of our young guys already on the roster as opposed to AB, or even some of the recently cut guys like Goodwin or Hunter. I also understand Luke when he says that having MWP as a teammate as opposed to a coach is more valuable because teammates generally listen to other teammates on a more personal level over a coach. MWP is a good guy to have in that regard as opposed to another guy to direct attention towards.

That being said, can LAL pick up Hunter for the D-fenders? How does that work?
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

As a guy who's occupying the last spot on the bench - he does in mentorship.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
deal wrote:

As a guy who's occupying the last spot on the bench - he does in mentorship.

Calderon, Huertas, Deng and we need to add MWP to mentor?

Look it's the 15th spot so of little impact. But it feels like a MWP
has a little influence with Luke and the FO which could lead to giving
a non player minutes.

It's been said but get someone young in there that could have some upside,
would have been my desire.

It's done, so let's play ball and hope Metta has a bench view.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: