Massive DDoS Attack Shuts Down Parts of the Internet on East Coast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Massive DDoS Attack Shuts Down Parts of the Internet on East Coast

Quote:
Eleven hours after a massive online attack began that blocked access to many popular websites Friday, the company whose network was being assaulted was finally able to restore its service.

Dyn are a cloud-based Internet Performance Management company, who provide something called “DNS services” to their customers. If DNS is like a telephone book, where you type in Twitter.com and get directed to the correct internet server, Dyn is the host for about a quarter-million of these phone book entries. That’s why big websites like Twitter and Reddit are misbehaving today.The issue kept some users on the East Coast from accessing Twitter, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon, Tumblr, Reddit, PayPal and other sites.

At 6:17 p.m. ET, Dyn updated its website to say it had resolved the large-scale distributed denial of service attack (DDoS) and service had been restored.

DDoS attacks flood servers with so many fake requests for information that they cannot respond to real ones, often crashing under the barrage.

What has happened over the last few years is businesses have consolidated to professional managed DNS providers, ironically in part due to the difficulty in mitigating denial of service attacks. This has created new centralized platforms for hackers to target.

And they are being targeted. Within the past month there was a distributed denial of service attack which totalled over 1,000 gigabits per second of traffic. That’s more bandwidth than many countries have. It’s a staggering volume of traffic, multiple times more than anything seen previously. (In 2015, Arbor networks reported what was then the world’s biggest DDoS attack: 334 gigabits per second.)

These attacks are driven, in part, by the “Internet of Things”—devices such as CCTV cameras and DVRs being directly attached to the internet, with poor security. Attackers are hacking these devices, inside homes and businesses across the world, to create “botnets”—a herd of infected devices, which they can use to launch attacks. Criminals are also selling attacks from these botnets for cheap prices, allowing anybody with a wallet to launch attacks against targets.

On many of these cables, often laid a long time ago (the first submarine data cables were laid in 1850), bandwidth is limited. For example, the LION cable, — owned by Orange — which connects Madagascar, Réunion, and Mauritius, has a maximum capacity of 1,280 gigabits per second — and that bandwidth is divided up between landing spots and providers. These undersea cables are also extremely busy with day-to-day traffic. Which means, thanks to these new, super-sized denial of service botnets, we’ve reached the point where attackers can bring down nations. ,

Massive Denial of Service Attack

Probably Not a Good Idea To Save Your Online Shopping to the Last Minute This Christmas. When the Mirai virus was released on the Darkweb earlier this year, fair warning was given that these type of attacks were only a matter of time. Expect to see more massive disruptions in the coming year.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:

It was the Russians!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Also, why is every word in your first sentence capitalized?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Also, why is every word in your first sentence capitalized?

Success!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

It impacted my office greatly today and I am on the West Coast but we use websites powered by some of the East Coast entities that got knocked off line.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

this bs ruined my weekend. Had the friday off and was ready to take off for a 3 day get away and got pulled into the office to help mitigate the issues caused.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
this bs ruined my weekend. Had the friday off and was ready to take off for a 3 day get away and got pulled into the office to help mitigate the issues caused.

Man, where you gonna go anyway?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

vegas... still went but arrived super late and too tired to really do anything. 3 day getaway basically turned into a 1 night turn around trip
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: