reason for our slow starts during games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
How has the Moz/Randle synergy worked/not worked?

Personally, not sure that they work well together. A bit too clogged on offense.

You need a knock down 3 point shooter to make it work at the 3 spot.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, Deng, and Mozgov is a lineup I think would thrive. Nance, Black, Calderon, and Young off the bench. Luke needs to shorten the rotation.

So you're in favor of cutting Randle completely out of the rotation?
For the better of the team I would. He's not better than Deng or Nance at PF and he can't play C. The sooner Luke realizes this the better this team will be. Nance is a perfect fit starting at PF.

I'm glad you're not the coach
It won't be too long before Luke figures out Randle hurts the offensive spacing. He's going to lose his starting job if he continues to play like this.

There will be games where the spacing won't matter compared to the rebounding the Lakers need.

Agreed, but I don't share the idea that Nance is a poor rebounder and he is going to give us a few defensive plays to compensate for the diference. Since summer league he is showing an upgraded jump shot that can help us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

I don't see Luke changing the PF/C combo either at this point.

Seems it makes DLO's life a bit difficult too (and I also think Deng is better as a small ball PF today).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Russell, Clarkson, Ingram, Deng, and Mozgov is a lineup I think would thrive. Nance, Black, Calderon, and Young off the bench. Luke needs to shorten the rotation.

So you're in favor of cutting Randle completely out of the rotation?
For the better of the team I would. He's not better than Deng or Nance at PF and he can't play C. The sooner Luke realizes this the better this team will be. Nance is a perfect fit starting at PF.

I'm glad you're not the coach
It won't be too long before Luke figures out Randle hurts the offensive spacing. He's going to lose his starting job if he continues to play like this.

There will be games where the spacing won't matter compared to the rebounding the Lakers need.

Agreed, but I don't share the idea that Nance is a poor rebounder and he is going to give us a few defensive plays to compensate for the diference. Since summer league he is showing an upgraded jump shot that can help us.

It is easy to look at stats and see that Nance is barely an average rebounder, if that.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't see Luke changing the PF/C combo either at this point.

Seems it makes DLO's life a bit difficult too (and I also think Deng is better as a small ball PF today).

I thought the vets we added complimented our young guys great on the court?

Dropping the sarcasm, I think they will look better together with more reps/games. I do agree that Luke seemingly will go with the same PF/C tandem. You can throw Deng in there at SF too I suppose. The only question mark is the SG spot with JC, Lou, Nick.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

Is there a stat for missed opportunity assists? I notice this happens to Dlo a lot, particularly with Lou and Randle.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject:

I'm disappointed that there wasn't a full starting lineup figured out during preseason. Honestly, we had 8 games to get some sort of chemistry together and eliminate our slow starts.

Why did Lou start for half of those games?

If Lakers goal is to make the playoffs this year we might be in trouble right from the get go.

We play some really good teams. Who imo have developed some great chemistry already.

Our first couple weeks of games are brutal. And we play GS 3 times in November...
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Defense and a sense of urgency from starters.

Im ok with randle in starting lineup (so far), he has better chemistry with dlo than nance. Nance is a good roleplayer but he tends to look much different vs better competition. I like how randle keeps his foot on the gas pedal when he gets a rebound, it's a pretty special element to the starting unit dynamic. Defensively they gamble way too much and have too many defensive breakdowns as well as careless turnovers. I would put ingram in the starting lineup. I think his length and defensive ability would help tremendously in stabilizing that unit as well as in creasing ball movement. Lou has no business being in that starting lineup, he just doesn't fit, not offensively nor defensively.

I'd try dlo/ingram/swaggy/randle/mozgov
2nd unit calderon/clarkson/deng/nance/black
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
I'm disappointed that there wasn't a full starting lineup figured out during preseason. Honestly, we had 8 games to get some sort of chemistry together and eliminate our slow starts.

If Lakers goal is to make the playoffs this year we might be in trouble right from the get go.

We play some really good teams. Who imo have developed some great chemistry already.

Our first couple weeks of games are brutal. And we play GS 3 times in November...

Even when we get a starting lineup figured out we will still start slow, our starters right now aren't as good as most other starting units in the league. The hope is that we adapt and that improves as the season unfolds.
BobbyB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

Even when we get a starting lineup figured out we will still start slow, our starters right now aren't as good as most other starting units in the league. The hope is that we adapt and that improves as the season unfolds.

For sure. But chemistry and cohesiveness goes a long way and even mediocre players can play well as a team.

Just baffles me we had 8 games to try different things and for more than half the time we stuck with lou Williams as starting SG. We could have tried different combinations during that time.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

BobbyB wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

For sure. But chemistry and cohesiveness goes a long way and even mediocre players can play well as a team.

Just baffles me we had 8 games to try different things and for more than half the time we stuck with lou Williams as starting SG. We could have tried different combinations during that time.

Experimenting with Nance in the starting lineup would have been cool. Other than that, it's just one gunner with suspect D after another at the 2. Not much Luke can do.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject:

Our slow starts arent because of one or two players. It's because our offensive and defensive systems aren't ran effectively.

They're a young team and its going to be awhile before luke and all of them our on the same page.

I would of liked to see different lineups but right now more reps and experience with lukes system will be more important.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
How has the Moz/Randle synergy worked/not worked?

Personally, not sure that they work well together. A bit too clogged on offense.

They don't work on offense. If Moz is the stretch big, you're screwed.

They don't work on defense. Randle is slow on rotations and can't bother shooters in the paint 70% of the time. Moz is too slow to stop penetration and still recover to the rim on the pass.
we have no idea if moz works as a stretch big. Stretch not being to the 3pt line but stretch as in 12 to 18 feet out max. The reason we don't know if it works or not is because we rarely if ever run enough pick and pop with Moz to find out how consistent he really could be. In addition, since we never run it enough the defense will never worry about guarding it the 2 times we do try it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BobbyB wrote:

this is pretty much what I said earlier. It wont matter who starts. As of right now the roster we have, any starting lineup we have will not be as good as or better than most of the nba's starting 5. Unless as you've stated, down the road our individual guys get so much better to the point they are better than their respective counterparts on other teams.

Just look at it like this. Who's the best scorer on the lakers right now?
Dlo, lou will, Nick young, Clarkson? Lets say Lou, Dlo, and Clarkson are a tie.

I know for a fact you can name me tons of guys on other teams that are other teams best scorers that are more consistent and just flat out better scorers than these 3 lakers.

Who's our best perimeter defender? Once again I can name 15 guys that are as good as or better than our best perimeter defender around the nba.

Who's our best PF? once again I can name 20 guys better than our best PF. Same goes for our Center position. So forth and so on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: