OFFICIAL THOMAS ROBINSON THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
Is TRob considered a good defender or is he just "athletic clay"?

I wonder if the Lakers have plans for Metta to mentor TRob and make him into a super defender? Imagine TRob's size, athleticism and motor combined with Metta's defensive know how!

Also, I thought Black was considered a high motor guy? Who would be a better back up center? But it seems like TRob would have the edge in athletic versatility to guard 3-5.

But Black can make free throws at least.

So are they redundant pieces?

They aren't redundant IMO. TRob can switch and guard multiple positions. Given his speed measurements, he can probably stick on some PGs during switches as well. He's more of a TT than Black. In fact, he compared himself to TT and Biyombo in that recent basketball insiders article. He mentioned trying to emulate them, which is a positive sign for the organization going forward.

Black has clear limitations on who he can guard, and that's mainly undersized 5s. We saw how the Alex Len match-up wasn't favorable to him the other day against Phoenix (I would have put Zubac on Len). He does, however, fit a niche on the team as a good screener and a dirty work guy.

It's worth noting Black and TRob had similar per 36 numbers last season, though TRob had the better drtg and got to the line more. It would appear Trob had the greater defensive impact when he was on the floor. I do think TRob will be that all purpose defender Luke needs. He should do a decent job guarding all positions when needed IMO. He just needs to refine his offensive game and freethrow shooting for Luke to have more faith in him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject:

**Here's an article from earlier that gives some good insight on T-Rob:

Thomas Robinson Looking for Right Situation

Quote:
When given an opportunity, the power forward has done well. Perhaps most importantly, Robinson’s former teammates and coaches from his various stops around the league have nothing but positive things to say about him.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/thomas-robinson-looking-for-right-situation/
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson ... he's still young enough to achieve that greatness I see in him.

I wouldn't be surprise if he makes Randle expendable in a deal to get DeMarcus Cousins .... or maybe even LaMarcus Aldridge.

You can't teach this type of sick athletic ability

#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

TRob is an easy guy to cheer for. I look forward to rooting for him as a Laker.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson’s Unexpected Path To A Lakers Roster Spot
http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-explains-surprising-story-of-thomas-robinson/2016/10/24/
(more at the link)
It wasn’t until Robinson started working out at the Lakers facility, participating in pick-up games over the summer, that Walton and the Lakers staff started to take notice.

“Every single day his teams were winning and he was one of the better players on the court. I talked about it to the front office and we were like, we might as well invite the kid,” Walton said of offering Robinson a training camp invite. “He shows up everyday and gets all this work in and plays his butt off everyday.”

Even then, Walton admits they didn’t expect Robinson’s signing to last beyond training camp.

“Then you assume that once you get to a more structured setting that you’d see some reasons why he hasn’t stuck (in the NBA), and he was great. Great all throughout training camp,” Walton said. “Not only as far as the way he played, but the way he interacted with the team in preseason games. Even when he was getting DNPs (Did Not Play), he was talking in the huddles, talking at halftime.”

Throughout training camp, the coaching staff grew increasingly impressed with Robinson and started to discuss how they could make room for him. By his final preseason game, the staff felt that Robinson had earned a spot, but with 17 players still on the roster, how would they make room?

“He definitely earned a spot it was just trying to find a way to get him a spot,” Walton explained.

After the Lakers released Yi Jianlian, per he and his agent’s request on Monday morning, in order to keep both Thomas Robinson and Metta World Peace, the Lakers waived second-year guard Anthony Brown.

“That was tough,” Walton said of the team waiving Brown. “But with the team we have, with so many young guys, we have so many twos and threes (guards), as it is right now, and with Nick (Young) playing as well as he’s playing, and signing (Luol) Deng, and drafting Brandon (Ingram), it was tough to find him (Brown) opportunities out there, and as much as I like him and as well as he was playing, MWP (Metta World Peace) and T-Rob (Robinson) were really bringing it every single day. They were giving us a toughness that I think we need. Giving us some vocal leadership, some experience, and I just felt like in talking with the guys upstairs that was what was most valuable for those last couple spots.”

For Robinson, he was relieved when he heard the news, which wasn’t until he got to the locker room at the Lakers facility before practice on Monday, after a long car ride and a sleepless night.

“One goal completed. Just got to move onto the next now and try to find a way that I’m going to help this team the best way I can,” Robinson said. “I made the team but nothing is done yet. I shouldn’t have been in that position, but things happen the way they happen and I worked my way out of it and I just have to keep going.”

Robinson expects his opportunity with the Lakers to be much different from his previous experiences. Last week, Robinson told LakersNation.com, that he didn’t feel like the “odd man out” during training camp as he has in the past. Playing for the Sacramento Kings his rookie season, Robinson was traded midway through to the Houston Rockets, only to be traded a few months later to the Portland Trail Blazers. Robinson then had stints with the Philadelphia 76ers and Brooklyn Nets.

“I’m unstable, because I never really caught grasp to an organization and actually built relationships with coaches, players, teammates…because I’ve been one year and gone with every team that I’ve been with, so that’s been hard but that’s the nature of the business, the hand I got dealt and I’m working my way out of it,” Robinson said after making the final roster cut Monday.

Walton said he was honestly shocked that Robinson hasn’t stuck on a team in the NBA.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Love Trobs attitude. Could be so easy to come in feeling a little entitled after being such a high pick. But he seems completely humbled and willing to work to re-earn a spot on a pro team. Love that.

He'll play with a huge chip on his shoulder and outside of Metta, represents an enforcer for our young guys.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject:

TRob. We'll love his hustle on the offensive board.
We'll be pissed off that he forgets his man on defense.
Hopefully there will be a lot more of the former than the latter.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Love Trobs attitude. Could be so easy to come in feeling a little entitled after being such a high pick. But he seems completely humbled and willing to work to re-earn a spot on a pro team. Love that.

He'll play with a huge chip on his shoulder and outside of Metta, represents an enforcer for our young guys.

Based on some of his quotes, "humbled" seems exactly right. He came in full of bluster and arrogance, and a mod here (24? Emplay?) talked about how his rep around the league was quite poor.

But everything about him in LA suggests he has his head on straight now. Good for him!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject:

He's awfully athletic. Any chance he could be a Tristan Thompson type that can legitimately switch on to guards?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
He's awfully athletic. Any chance he could be a Tristan Thompson type that can legitimately switch on to guards?

He hasn't been very good defensively so far in his career at all. Just like most high energy/hustle players. But who knows, maybe Walton can teach him some things
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Interesting words from Luke. He's keeping TRob and Metta as they will make every practice session challenging for young guys. Good use of 14th and 15th guy in the roster. AB was too subdued for that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Interesting words from Luke. He's keeping TRob and Metta as they will make every practice session challenging for young guys. Good use of 14th and 15th guy in the roster. AB was too subdued for that.

Yes, practice hard then play hard.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Based on some of his quotes, "humbled" seems exactly right. He came in full of bluster and arrogance, and a mod here (24? Emplay?) talked about how his rep around the league was quite poor.

But everything about him in LA suggests he has his head on straight now. Good for him!

I haven't heard anything Bad about the kid at all. Quite the opposite but all that doesn't matter now. He seems ready to contribute. The kid I saw at Kansas was an absolute monster. If he can regain that motor and fire. We have a great issue.

Longtime LG lurker.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject:

Thomas Robinson at the backup 5 in case anything happened to Mozgov or Black or foul trouble, is solid, because he is a GREAT hustle/15th guy for coming in
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

this guy has no intention on remaining the 14th guy, and I sure would not bet against him. He will be be trying to take minutes at both the #4 and #5.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
The kid I saw at Kansas was an absolute monster.

Didn't he barely lose Player of the Year to Anthony Davis? I am sure he was a 1st Team All American that year.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
The kid I saw at Kansas was an absolute monster.

Didn't he barely lose Player of the Year to Anthony Davis? I am sure he was a 1st Team All American that year.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Trob! Love his hustle and his athleticism.

I think that he is a bigger, stronger, faster Tarik Black.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Well, better than Sacre...
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I like Trob as well....but this makes Randle expendable? I don't think so.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Last year at this time Upshaw was the best thing we had going, posters are going to overreact. That is what makes us fans.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw had "problems" that made people apprehensive, but because he blocked KAT twice in Summer League people thought he'd be special.

Truth of the matter is Upshaw COULD have been, but he had bigger problems outside of basketball both in addiction and mentality.

T. Rob's problem was never really finding his fit in the NBA and never being with a team long enough to do so.

Last year on pure luck and happenstance he happened to be on a team that required him to play the 5 in the back half of the season and he found his niche, just as he found it with the Lakers when he was playing backup 5 in some rotations.

That is how T. Rob will stick in this league, at THAT position.

Some players aren't even as fortunate as to find that out when they are tossed from team to team from their rookie year on.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
When given an opportunity, the power forward has done well. Perhaps most importantly, Robinson’s former teammates and coaches from his various stops around the league have nothing but positive things to say about him.

Quote:
“He worked tirelessly, day and night, while with us,” Blazers assistant coach David Vanterpool said of Robinson. “He would work out before practice. Then, we would have our team practice, and he would stay after to get shots up or play one-on-one with Will Barton. Then sometimes, he would come back late at night to shoot and work out some more. He wants to grow and improve, but more importantly to him, he wants an opportunity to show how good can be.

Quote:
Last year’s Most Improved Player, C.J. McCollum, also praised Robinson’s effort and professionalism. Robinson was on the Blazers during McCollum’s rookie year (and for half of his sophomore year), and the young shooting guard learned a lot from Robinson.

“T-Rob is a guy I connected with right away because of his work ethic and passion for the game,” Blazers guard C.J. McCollum said. “I remember going to the gym after midnight on multiple occasions and seeing him in there working out with his trainer and our video coordinator. He is a great competitor and fearless rebounder. I think he can help every team in this league with his skill set and motor. He just needs to get the right opportunity.”

Quote:
When given the chance to play significant minutes, he often thrived. He started seven games for the Nets and averaged 14.6 points, 12.3 rebounds, two assists and 1.6 steals in those contests, while shooting 54.4 percent from the field. This is obviously a small sample size, but he produced the previous year in Philadelphia as well, suggesting he just needs minutes: During his 22-game stint with the 76ers, he came off the bench to average 8.8 points and 7.7 rebounds in just 18.5 minutes a night.

Robinson’s Nets teammates saw the impact he made when he was on the court.

“T-Rob plays hard as hell and he is a workhorse,” said Shane Larkin, who played with Robinson last season in Brooklyn. “He’s a monster on the boards and he was always a very positive teammate. He just needs a situation where somebody will allow him to show his skill set and give him a chance to grow within a franchise.

Quote:
“That’s my guy,” said Willie Reed, who signed with the Miami Heat but played with Robinson last year on the Nets. “T-Rob is an extremely hard worker and tough competitor. He was in the gym working every day because he wants to get better. He’s the type of guy who wants to be the best he can possibly be, while pushing you to do the same. He’s a relentless rebounder and explosive athlete. He’ll be a great fit for whichever NBA team gets him in free agency.”

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/thomas-robinson-looking-for-right-situation/
ZenMaster2323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Watched his 2015 highlights on YouTube. Dude is damn impressive and if he continues to improve under Walton, watch out league:

Some of the blocks me made on the defensive end were absolutely insane. Additionally, I'd like to see a combo of TRob and Randle on the floor when we need defensive rebounding; something that has been sorely lacking in preseason.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see if TR or TB ends up being the better player this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 12 of 26
Jump to: