OFFICIAL THOMAS ROBINSON THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:

REALLY pleased that Robinson made the team. He could really improve and be a valuable player if we suffer any big man injuries. Luke also hit the nail on the head - there was no real playing time for Anthony Brown behind the swingmen we have AND beyond that he has not really ever offered what the Lakers were hoping he would.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
When given an opportunity, the power forward has done well. Perhaps most importantly, Robinson’s former teammates and coaches from his various stops around the league have nothing but positive things to say about him.

Quote:
“He worked tirelessly, day and night, while with us,” Blazers assistant coach David Vanterpool said of Robinson. “He would work out before practice. Then, we would have our team practice, and he would stay after to get shots up or play one-on-one with Will Barton. Then sometimes, he would come back late at night to shoot and work out some more. He wants to grow and improve, but more importantly to him, he wants an opportunity to show how good can be.

Quote:
Last year’s Most Improved Player, C.J. McCollum, also praised Robinson’s effort and professionalism. Robinson was on the Blazers during McCollum’s rookie year (and for half of his sophomore year), and the young shooting guard learned a lot from Robinson.

“T-Rob is a guy I connected with right away because of his work ethic and passion for the game,” Blazers guard C.J. McCollum said. “I remember going to the gym after midnight on multiple occasions and seeing him in there working out with his trainer and our video coordinator. He is a great competitor and fearless rebounder. I think he can help every team in this league with his skill set and motor. He just needs to get the right opportunity.”

Quote:
When given the chance to play significant minutes, he often thrived. He started seven games for the Nets and averaged 14.6 points, 12.3 rebounds, two assists and 1.6 steals in those contests, while shooting 54.4 percent from the field. This is obviously a small sample size, but he produced the previous year in Philadelphia as well, suggesting he just needs minutes: During his 22-game stint with the 76ers, he came off the bench to average 8.8 points and 7.7 rebounds in just 18.5 minutes a night.

Robinson’s Nets teammates saw the impact he made when he was on the court.

“T-Rob plays hard as hell and he is a workhorse,” said Shane Larkin, who played with Robinson last season in Brooklyn. “He’s a monster on the boards and he was always a very positive teammate. He just needs a situation where somebody will allow him to show his skill set and give him a chance to grow within a franchise.

Quote:
“That’s my guy,” said Willie Reed, who signed with the Miami Heat but played with Robinson last year on the Nets. “T-Rob is an extremely hard worker and tough competitor. He was in the gym working every day because he wants to get better. He’s the type of guy who wants to be the best he can possibly be, while pushing you to do the same. He’s a relentless rebounder and explosive athlete. He’ll be a great fit for whichever NBA team gets him in free agency.”

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/thomas-robinson-looking-for-right-situation/

Since they took Ed Davis from us, I am glad we are getting something back from them:))
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
When given an opportunity, the power forward has done well. Perhaps most importantly, Robinson’s former teammates and coaches from his various stops around the league have nothing but positive things to say about him.

Quote:
“He worked tirelessly, day and night, while with us,” Blazers assistant coach David Vanterpool said of Robinson. “He would work out before practice. Then, we would have our team practice, and he would stay after to get shots up or play one-on-one with Will Barton. Then sometimes, he would come back late at night to shoot and work out some more. He wants to grow and improve, but more importantly to him, he wants an opportunity to show how good can be.

Quote:
Last year’s Most Improved Player, C.J. McCollum, also praised Robinson’s effort and professionalism. Robinson was on the Blazers during McCollum’s rookie year (and for half of his sophomore year), and the young shooting guard learned a lot from Robinson.

“T-Rob is a guy I connected with right away because of his work ethic and passion for the game,” Blazers guard C.J. McCollum said. “I remember going to the gym after midnight on multiple occasions and seeing him in there working out with his trainer and our video coordinator. He is a great competitor and fearless rebounder. I think he can help every team in this league with his skill set and motor. He just needs to get the right opportunity.”

Quote:
When given the chance to play significant minutes, he often thrived. He started seven games for the Nets and averaged 14.6 points, 12.3 rebounds, two assists and 1.6 steals in those contests, while shooting 54.4 percent from the field. This is obviously a small sample size, but he produced the previous year in Philadelphia as well, suggesting he just needs minutes: During his 22-game stint with the 76ers, he came off the bench to average 8.8 points and 7.7 rebounds in just 18.5 minutes a night.

“T-Rob plays hard as hell and he is a workhorse,” said Shane Larkin, who played with Robinson last season in Brooklyn. “He’s a monster on the boards and he was always a very positive teammate. He just needs a situation where somebody will allow him to show his skill set and give him a chance to grow within a franchise.

Quote:
“That’s my guy,” said Willie Reed, who signed with the Miami Heat but played with Robinson last year on the Nets. “T-Rob is an extremely hard worker and tough competitor. He was in the gym working every day because he wants to get better. He’s the type of guy who wants to be the best he can possibly be, while pushing you to do the same. He’s a relentless rebounder and explosive athlete. He’ll be a great fit for whichever NBA team gets him in free agency.”

I don't know what to think of this...

If he works so hard, and barely makes a roster, what is he working on?

If he's hoping to get better, what has he improved on?

Is he a better player today than when he was drafted in 2012 as the no. 5 pick? If he is, how bad was he in 2012?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is he a better player today than when he was drafted in 2012 as the no. 5 pick? If he is, how bad was he in 2012?

Yeah, I was actually more encouraged when I heard him say he thought it'd be easy when he got into the league and he'd be in the HOF. Made me think this is a guy who was humbled and is finally willing to put in the work to tap into his potential.

If he was always a hard worker then how much untapped potential is really there? Guess he'll just be a career hustle big, which is fine. Every championship team needs one. Or perhaps he was just working on the wrong skills. We'll find out.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Can't deny that I had similar thoughts and questions. But I think the one thing to hang onto is McCollum's quote about TRob just needing the right situation. Because this team seems like it could be it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
REALLY pleased that Robinson made the team. He could really improve and be a valuable player if we suffer any big man injuries. Luke also hit the nail on the head - there was no real playing time for Anthony Brown behind the swingmen we have AND beyond that he has not really ever offered what the Lakers were hoping he would.

It wasn't between Brown and Robinson. Still doesn't make sense to take Metta over Brown. MWP can still have a voice, can still be an assistance coach who suits up for practice. You already paid for Brown, why cut him. Weird decision.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

T. Rob has been playing the wrong position for the majority of his NBA career. His calling is at the 5, and a solid backup 5 for a team. Which we now have an additional one of.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
T. Rob has been playing the wrong position for the majority of his NBA career. His calling is at the 5, and a solid backup 5 for a team. Which we now have an additional one of.

We know that he's hungry and has a great work ethic.

I think that T-Rob will be a pleasant surprise as an energy/hustle guy off the bench when called on.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Luke played him a lot at the #4 in preseason, and he is listed on the roster as a PF. I doubt he cares, and "if" he earns them, will see minutes at both....although I think it will be a while....Luke will give Randle/Nance & Mozgov/Black the opportunity to solidify their minutes early in season.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Well, the league is moving towards his "type" at the 5. Faster, smaller. There's a lot of lineups we'll see for portions of the game where he should see eye to eye with the opposing center.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Didn't miss a shot tonight!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

T-Rob will eventually get a chance to contribute. I have no doubt that when the time comes that he will be ready.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

You can tell he was nervous. He needs minutes to get used to team.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Defensively, I'd be interested to see if Thomas could develop into a guy who defends the combo forwards that dominate today's NBA. Bron, KD, Kawhi, P George, Carmelo, Griffin and the like. He has the right physical attributes but not the technique. He will obviously never have the skill to play that role offensively but if he could learn how to defend the ball handler in PnR he might have a shot at slowing power backs down.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Defensively, I'd be interested to see if Thomas could develop into a guy who defends the combo forwards that dominate today's NBA. Bron, KD, Kawhi, P George, Carmelo, Griffin and the like. He has the right physical attributes but not the technique. He will obviously never have the skill to play that role offensively but if he could learn how to defend the ball handler in PnR he might have a shot at slowing power backs down.

Idk why he can't be as good as MKG
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
MJST wrote:

Idk why he can't be as good as MKG

I'm just pleased by the fact that when we look down at the end of the bench we don't have to suffer through another season of Sacre's dancing act!
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

This might sound crazy but maybe the idea was to get robinson to work with artest on perimeter defense techniques for guys their size? Robinson is a versatile guy who can probably defend the 2-5 like artest in his day.

Maybe roninsons issue is that he hasn't had a coach who knows how to use his skillset?

Dude is a physical specimen...I would seriously consider playing him at SF when I need a stop. 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan and has that level athleticism?

Turn him into a plug and play kind of player
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

With ATL's big frontline T-Rob may get a little run today. I hope he plays well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
With ATL's big frontline T-Rob may get a little run today. I hope he plays well.
Fixed (if active)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:

start the rumor that the Lakers may look to waive a player, then send him out there against Dwight. He was an animal when his back was against the wall.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see T-Rob have a good game with the Purple & Gold!

10 rebounds with 6 points, 1 steal & 1 block in 15 minutes.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Liked his numbers.
Hope we don't start overrating him.
And hope Randle is back so we don't have to play TRob.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
https://youtu.be/Dpzna9UZazQ

This might sound crazy but maybe the idea was to get robinson to work with artest on perimeter defense techniques for guys their size? Robinson is a versatile guy who can probably defend the 2-5 like artest in his day.

Maybe roninsons issue is that he hasn't had a coach who knows how to use his skillset?

Dude is a physical specimen...I would seriously consider playing him at SF when I need a stop. 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan and has that level athleticism?

Turn him into a plug and play kind of player

It's not crazy at all. His combine sprint/speed numbers were in the Jimmy Butler / Kawhi Leonard ballpark. He has to the agility to defend and switch on all 5 positions. He played the best defense on Curry tonight. I don't know whether to be sad or happy about that given the current guard configuration on the team.

If it were up to me, I'd play him at the 2 or 3 to send a message to the guards. He's a better perimeter defender than all the guards on the team.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

:barf:
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
:barf:

I just want to see some semblance of perimeter defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26
Jump to: