OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
It would really suck if Brown shows up as a productive player on the Spurs in three seasons.

Even worse would be after developing in SA or other team Brown becomes the center of another heavily contested "max contract" discussion in 2019-2020 free agency.

Doubt it. But it is not fun to ponder at all.

I would have kept him a bit longer, especially over MWP. But not emotionally invested enough in Brown to worry about him getting cut.

Wouldn't bother me at all if that happened. Because if we kept him, chances are he won't exceed expectations like that anyways.
If Luke thought he'd grow and develop HERE. We would've kept him.

What you guys are explaining is like: regretting you broke up with a girl who made you miserable because she makes someone else happy years and years later. It's dumb to get upset about that. Sometimes the fit is just bad.

And chances are Brown won't be the next Kawhi. I doubt Pop even considers signing him. He already has young wings that have shown more progress than brown at a younger age.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

It would really suck if Brown shows up as a productive player on the Spurs in three seasons.

If he developed in SA it's probably because the best shooting staff in the NBA fixed his jumper. No guarantee he pans out the same in LA if he stayed
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

If he developed in SA it's probably because the best shooting staff in the NBA fixed his jumper. No guarantee he pans out the same in LA if he stayed

The Lakers should really try to do something about that (as I'm sure other teams are trying to do).
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

The Lakers should really try to do something about that (as I'm sure other teams are trying to do).

Yeah. Probably easier said than done though. We all saw how the Tracy Murray experiment failed lol.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

When was he released? This article was 3 days ago? Sad.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/20161023/lakers-anthony-brown-credits-luke-walton-for-confidence-in-his-shooting
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah. Probably easier said than done though. We all saw how the Tracy Murray experiment failed lol.

He was simply THREE. There was never "AND D" in his title.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Who did we waive that became a great player? There were a few MBA & BS chased off when they were FAs, but I don't remember cutting ties with any.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Who did we waive that became a great player? There were a few MBA & BS chased off when they were FAs, but I don't remember cutting ties with any.

Whiteside turned out pretty good
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

We never signed him but we did have him in for a workout and passed. We also declined on giving Bazemore a 1.0M QO when we had him (but we gave it Ryan Kelly ). So it was only fitting both Bazemore and Whiteside turned us down this summer.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

For those old enough. I recall Chick Hearn telling the story of how Bill Laimbeer worked out for the Lakers and was told he's too chubby. This must have been between 79-82 before he became a Piston.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I really am over the decision to waive him, but why continue the false narrative? He played in less than 40 games last year, and he did not shoot well...as a rookie. The vast majority of NBA rookies do not shoot good from the 3 point line.....DLo was one of the better ones in recent years and was somewhere over 30%. AB shot over 60% from 3 if you look at his last 8 games (2 SL and '16 Preseason). I just dont get the point in continuing to claim he was missing too many shots, when he was burning up the nets compared to Ingram.....Dlo, JC and Randle all had painful periods of bricks in the preseason, but so many posters find comfort in pretending it was AB who was a bad shooter. I just don't get it.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

I really am over the decision to waive him, but why continue the false narrative? He played in less than 40 games last year, and he did not shoot well...as a rookie. The vast majority of NBA rookies do not shoot good from the 3 point line.....DLo was one of the better ones in recent years and was somewhere over 30%. AB shot over 60% from 3 if you look at his last 8 games (2 SL and '16 Preseason). I just dont get the point in continuing to claim he was missing too many shots, when he was burning up the nets compared to Ingram.....Dlo, JC and Randle all had painful periods of bricks in the preseason, but so many posters find comfort in pretending it was AB who was a bad shooter. I just don't get it.

Cutting AB for an actual player would have made more sense. But we cut our best guard defender who *MIGHT* be a solid shooter for basically another coach.

Bright news is he will likely go to the DLeague and get consistent PT. We can always bring him back up and cut MWP if he proves worthy.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

No, you just misunderstood my post. I didn't say he can't shoot. (Nor did I say he can shoot; I didn't make a claim one way or another). I said that if San Antonio picked him up and he became a knockdown shooter in 3 years time, that wouldn't mean that he'd have developed the same way in LA. In fact, it's likely given how good Engelland seems to be.

Brown shot fine the last few games he played (against (bleep) competition in a small sample size), but nothing indicated he'd be shooting 42% from 3 anytime soon. That's why I said that if he went to San Antonio and became a deadeye shooter, it's not so much we missed out so much as the Spurs developed him. Not sure if the nuance is getting through.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
adkindo wrote:
tox wrote:

No, you just misunderstood my post. I didn't say he can't shoot. (Nor did I say he can shoot; I didn't make a claim one way or another). I said that if San Antonio picked him up and he became a knockdown shooter in 3 years time, that wouldn't mean that he'd have developed the same way in LA. In fact, it's likely given how good Engelland seems to be.

Brown shot fine the last few games he played (against (bleep) competition in a small sample size), but nothing indicated he'd be shooting 42% from 3 anytime soon. That's why I said that if he went to San Antonio and became a deadeye shooter, it's not so much we missed out so much as the Spurs developed him. Not sure if the nuance is getting through.

Hey guys! We're over on the other thread celebrating our win over the Rockets!
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Before this thread dies, here's my 2 cents.

I was surprised Brown was waived. He's not great at creating his own shot, but imo, he still has ability to be someone who can/will hit a lot of open shots and contribute positively to a good team one day.

On the other hand, I attended game 1 and saw MWP enter the game late 3rd qtr. to "provide toughness." 1:14 he commits a quick foul on Harden, the 1st in the last 2 minutes (no ft's). Right afterward, he got another foul, and then with 38 seconds left, he picked up his 3rd foul. Rather than shutting down the opponent, he just gave away valuable ft's that made the game closer in the end. 1 on 1, Harden went around him like he was nailed to the floor. On offense, MWP looked like someone who didn't belong. I have no interest in seeing this experiment whether the Lakers won or not. The minutes could be better distributed and the faster someone realizes that MWP doesn't belong on a basketball court from between the opening tip and the final horn, the better off the Lakers will be.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Looks like the Kid is heading to NO's NBA team...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

Pelicans to sign Anthony Brown out of D-League

Quote:
The New Orleans Pelicans are looking for a little more shooting and depth on the wings, and they’ve reached into the Erie Bayhawks of the D-League.

Anthony Brown was the last cut of the Lakers at the end of training camp and was the first pick in the D-League draft, and he tore up the minor league getting 29.3 points per game and shooting 65 percent from three. Now he’s getting a shot in the Big Easy, according to Marc Stein.

Quote:
Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
The Pelicans are closing in on the signing of former Lakers guard Anthony Brown out of the @nbadleague, according to league sources
12:28 PM - 20 Nov 2016

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/11/20/report-pelicans-to-sign-anthony-brown-out-of-d-league/
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Looks like the Kid is heading to NO's NBA team...

He is no kid, is more than 24 YO
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

I didn't like the brown being cut because even though there was little time for him, and mwp contributes in positive way even as a 15th man, brown I thought was good insurance incase any of our forwards get injured.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
I didn't like the brown being cut because even though there was little time for him, and mwp contributes in positive way even as a 15th man, brown I thought was good insurance incase any of our forwards get injured.

It seemed like he needed to get away from the pressure of playing in LA. I was surprised to find out that he wasn't playing on the Defenders. He has legitimately been tearing it up with the Eerie D-league team. It will be interesting to see if that translates with the Pelicans.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Drummond, Beal and ADavis are 1Y younger than him

Jordan Clarkson is the same age of Brown
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully the process of getting cut, making his way back and joining his second team will lead to a solid career jump for AB.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

with whiteside and bazemore here we would be a playoff team right now...food for thought
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

A week or two ago, I predicted the Pelicans would pick him up. Didn't think it would happen this quickly.

Anyways, I want to see him play with an edge and prove to the Lakers they were misguided in waving him. Might even tune in to a Pelicans game or two.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Erie BayHawks gotta be feeling bad. They wasted that #1 pick on a three week rental. Shoulda traded him for Vander Blue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 63 of 67
Jump to: