OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Luke mentioned in his post game press-conference he thought Nance Jr should have shot that three-pointer which he didn't attempt sometimes he needs to be a bit more selfish.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject:

pls stop passing up open shots
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

He hit a nice 3 pointer though. Gotta have more confidence on taking those open shots.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

Come on Luke. Larry has to get his minutes.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Nance is overthinking right now
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I honesty don't think Larry is happy in his role. He seemed excited about the idea of playing similar to draymon green during the summer league and he looked really, really good in that role IMO. However, he hasn't rebounded and pushed or made any of those outlet passes at all so far this season (or preseason). We haven't seen him in the PnR with Russell either.

I'm actually a little disappointed but I guess that's the NBA. Not everyone can be a star...sometimes you have to accept your role and be a team player.

Personally I understand it...that's Randle's thing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Come on Luke. Larry has to get his minutes.

Agree. 16 mins is unacceptable for LNJ. He should be in the mid 20s every single night with his versatility on both ends of the floor.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I honesty don't think Larry is happy in his role. He seemed excited about the idea of playing similar to draymon green during the summer league and he looked really, really good in that role IMO. However, he hasn't rebounded and pushed or made any of those outlet passes at all so far this season (or preseason). We haven't seen him in the PnR with Russell either.

I'm actually a little disappointed but I guess that's the NBA. Not everyone can be a star...sometimes you have to accept your role and be a team player.

Said this during the Rockets game but he seemed unhappy a few times with Clarkson. Slumped his shoulders and had his hands out when Clarkson didn't find him.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Said this during the Rockets game but he seemed unhappy a few times with Clarkson. Slumped his shoulders and had his hands out when Clarkson didn't find him.

Yeah I've been questioning his attitude since about the 3rd preseason game. Something happened and I'm not sure what but hopefully he can get his head back into the game. He's one of my favorite lakers and I want him around for years to come.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

That's on Larry. He has the freedom to bring the ball up the court, he just hasn't.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's on Larry. He has the freedom to bring the ball up the court, he just hasn't.

I honestly hope that's the case
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Mmmm the growing pains of a young team! Nance had some good plays last game, I'm looking forward to see everyone's chemistry increase.

Will be exciting every time we can see a Russel, Clarkson, Ingram, Nance, Randle lineup.

The kids are good, just inexperienced.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I honestly hope that's the case

Luke wouldn't restrict Larry like that when he was so great at it in summer league, in fact - Larry did it a couple times in pre-season. He just hasn't tapped into it the reg season yet
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

Or it could be that Larry got away with that kind of role because he was playing against Summer League competition, and him taking it down the court full court and trying to playmake against actual NBA competition would be as detrimental for him as it gets when he tries to create his own offense against that same competition.

Perhaps Larry knows that, and isn't trying to play outside of his lane and knows what he's best at which is why he hasn't been bringing the ball up and Ingram is.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Or it could be that Larry got away with that kind of role because he was playing against Summer League competition, and him taking it down the court full court and trying to playmake against actual NBA competition would be as detrimental for him as it gets when he tries to create his own offense against that same competition.

Perhaps Larry knows that, and isn't trying to play outside of his lane and knows what he's best at which is why he hasn't been bringing the ball up and Ingram is.

"He should play in his lane." That sounds like basketball Twitter criticizing Julius everytime he turns the ball over on an iso drive.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I definitely agree that Larry needs more minutes (by-product of Luke going so deep into his rotation) and I also agree that his on-court energy has looked off. But he's been solid.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Larry, like all of our young players, deserves some games to find his groove.

Working hard over the summer, playing in summer league, playing in training camp, and playing in preseason is great practice and very helpful.

Everyone still needs time in real NBA games to understand how to apply what they've learned. It's not easy playing in the NBA.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I do know for a fact that Larry does want to run a him and Jules combination lineup where they play at the 3/4 and feels they can do some damage there. Didn't sound like he wants either playing the 5 from his perspective.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I think it's simpler than that, Larry is simply on a shorter leash. Like the OP said not everyone can be a star, it's part of the growing pains of a young team. He'd need to figure out his role and how to impact the game in limited minutes.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I think there are several different factors involved in Nance's play and lack of minutes.

#1 His buddy Anthony Brown is no longer part of the team. I'm not sure how close they really were but they did have some tweets about working out together in the off-season. Brown, as we all know was a member of the epic "Breakfast Club".

#2 The team is giving Julius Randle a harder look, at Nance's expense. I feel that the team knows the type of player they have in Larry Nance, but are still trying to see where Randle's ceiling is. Just like they have an idea of what Clarkson is going to be, but still wondering what Russell's ceiling is.

#3 Someone here mentioned he might have another Crohn's flare up. I obviously don't know, but that could be a possibility.

Personally, I think he's playing well. He's still cheering his heart out from the sidelines and he's still trying to dunk over fools. He just has to take those open shots, and make or miss, we'll live with them.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I think it's simpler than that, Larry is simply on a shorter leash. Like the OP said not everyone can be a star, it's part of he growing pains of a young team. He'd need to figure out his role and how to impact the game in limited minutes.

His role is as a role player and his responsibility is less than Jules.

They'd prefer he had offense made for him than he make it himself, so he will be set up on pick and pops and pick and rolls. Aside from that his job is to hustle and play weakside defense.

And as we've seen what happens when he tries to handle the ball outside Summer League against NBA competition, it's best if he leaves that to Randle on the creating an opening to playmake front.

If Larry was capable of doing that outside of Summer League, he would be doing it, but Ingram is doing it instead for a reason. Better suited for it, as is Calderon(when he does) and Clarkson.

Larry isn't gonna be on breaks looking to set up his teammates and break down defenses, outside of Summer League that isn't his game. He WILL however be looking to finish plays on the fast break and trail the plays for put backs or opportunities, as that is what he's better suited for.

If the day came at the NBA level we saw Larry Nance Jr at the top of the key tasked with handling the ball looking to set up playmaking for his teammates, something has gone horribly wrong.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject:

He can push the ball on the break... it's been 2 games..

And his energy was fine last game, watch his first stint.

We're over analyzing like we like to do
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

More like, Larry gets more passive and risk-averse when he knows possessions count. It works insofar that he is a good team player, but he goes too far in the other direction. He needs some boldness.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I think it's simpler than that, Larry is simply on a shorter leash. Like the OP said not everyone can be a star, it's part of he growing pains of a young team. He'd need to figure out his role and how to impact the game in limited minutes.

His role is as a role player and his responsibility is less than Jules.

They'd prefer he had offense made for him than he make it himself, so he will be set up on pick and pops and pick and rolls. Aside from that his job is to hustle and play weakside defense.

And as we've seen what happens when he tries to handle the ball outside Summer League against NBA competition, it's best if he leaves that to Randle on the creating an opening to playmake front.

If Larry was capable of doing that outside of Summer League, he would be doing it, but Ingram is doing it instead for a reason. Better suited for it, as is Calderon(when he does) and Clarkson.

Larry isn't gonna be on breaks looking to set up his teammates and break down defenses, outside of Summer League that isn't his game. He WILL however be looking to finish plays on the fast break and trail the plays for put backs or opportunities, as that is what he's better suited for.

If the day came at the NBA level we saw Larry Nance Jr at the top of the key tasked with handling the ball looking to set up playmaking for his teammates, something has gone horribly wrong.

I'm in no way saying Larry should be handling the ball and initiating the offense. He knows his role and he knows he is on a shorter leash, that's why you don't see him doing the things he did in the summer league. It's still early in the season, in a new offense with different dynamics from last season so I believe all our players (including Larry) are still trying to figure out how to best impact the game and be successful on the team and in the NBA as a whole.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

Ball breakdown opinion of nance

He does a good job of highlighting some if the things that a lot of us see, and explains why some of us think Larry should be starting (or at least playing way more). If he's not going to start at least give the man starter minutes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 131, 132, 133 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 132 of 221
Jump to: