ESPN Projects Lakers to Have Fewest Wins in NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
lol, if there are people who still don't think ESPN has agenda to use the Lakers as click bait, they've been living in a cave.

This thread is made every year and the Lakers always win fewer games than ESPN predicts. I don't think the Lakers have exceeded expectations since 2008.

The bar is set low for them to do it this season, but I thought that the last few years as well.

I think the difference is that toward the end of the season we do not put out lineups to lose games this season.

According to you, we weren't tanking last season...

They were once they sat vets for no reason.

So you changed your mind since then? After all the discussions you had with people? That's fine I guess. We all have the right to change our minds.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject:

I'm still sticking with my original prediction of 37 wins. We just beat an 8th seed team at home because we had a better coach and players willing to listen, make adjustments, and play hard, effective defense when it counted most. When you see Nick Young, in crunch time, diving and hitting the hardwood for the loose ball right alongside DLO because Clarkson got a key deflection, you know something's going right.

Luke did a great job coaching this team out of the gates, not just adjustments but with player rotations as well. We see an offense now that can regularly get into the second and third options. I'll bet ESPN didn't factor that in at all. It's a nice start, and I'm sure most 'analysts' were surprised at the result, especially after the offensive butt spanking Houston put on us in the first half.

I don't think the Lakers lack talent, just experience. We're still likely to lose a lot of games before that changes, once the adrenaline wears off and teams start scouting us, but by March and April I think the Lakers could be a surprisingly dangerous match up for playoff-bound teams looking for a better seed.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
lol, if there are people who still don't think ESPN has agenda to use the Lakers as click bait, they've been living in a cave.

This thread is made every year and the Lakers always win fewer games than ESPN predicts. I don't think the Lakers have exceeded expectations since 2008.

The bar is set low for them to do it this season, but I thought that the last few years as well.

I think the difference is that toward the end of the season we do not put out lineups to lose games this season.

So you changed your mind since then? After all the discussions you had with people? That's fine I guess. We all have the right to change our minds.

Even if someone considers sitting Lou/Bass for Black and more PT for DLO/JC tanking, we only did it for the last 7 games and our 2nd spot in the lottery was already basically locked up. Only difference is instead of 17 wins we might of had 18 wins.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

As a wise man once said, "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
Sad that I'm not surprised. Not because it's ESPN but because we actually suck.
Game 1 is over.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Some of you need to temper your expectations a lot..
this was 1 game, early in the season, against a D'antoni team which are never known for playing D (hell, Houston played very little defense BEFORE MDA was hired)

I thought ESPN's estimate was about 6 games low, but that doesn't change the facts...
realistically, we're still going to lose a lot more games than we win this year.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
this was 1 game, early in the season, against a D'antoni team which are never known for playing D (hell, Houston played very little defense BEFORE MDA was hired)

I thought ESPN's estimate was about 6 games low, but that doesn't change the facts...
realistically, we're still going to lose a lot more games than we win this year.

This next stretch of games are kinda brutal. Should be interesting to watch.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Gentlemen, it's only a game! Let's wait and see!
If I am correct 3 years ago Philly won the first game against LeBron's Miami. And they finished with the worst record.
Look at the bright side. If we finish at the bottom and received the 1st or 2nd pick, we can put it in a package with Clarckson and Randle and go after A.Davis or Cousins.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
P.K. wrote:

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far - this is the most interesting the Lakers have been in 4 years now.

They are going to be a lot more competitive this year, meaning even losses will be closer instead of blowouts, but it's still a rebuild and they are still very inexperienced.
It'll be 2-3 years until they're serious playoff caliber
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

Do you have any gray poop on?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject:

23 more to go...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

Even if someone considers sitting Lou/Bass for Black and more PT for DLO/JC tanking, we only did it for the last 7 games and our 2nd spot in the lottery was already basically locked up. Only difference is instead of 17 wins we might of had 18 wins.

We were tanking by rolling Byron out there.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
I'm still sticking with my original prediction of 37 wins. We just beat an 8th seed team at home because we had a better coach and players willing to listen, make adjustments, and play hard, effective defense when it counted most. When you see Nick Young, in crunch time, diving and hitting the hardwood for the loose ball right alongside DLO because Clarkson got a key deflection, you know something's going right.

Luke did a great job coaching this team out of the gates, not just adjustments but with player rotations as well. We see an offense now that can regularly get into the second and third options. I'll bet ESPN didn't factor that in at all. It's a nice start, and I'm sure most 'analysts' were surprised at the result, especially after the offensive butt spanking Houston put on us in the first half.

I don't think the Lakers lack talent, just experience. We're still likely to lose a lot of games before that changes, once the adrenaline wears off and teams start scouting us, but by March and April I think the Lakers could be a surprisingly dangerous match up for playoff-bound teams looking for a better seed.

well after last nights game as much as i loved that win for our lakers. I have to admit, it may be time to downgrade the new dwight howardless rockets. They have no interior defense whatsoever. And its true harden isnt just the best ball handler and passer on the team by a little, it's by a lot. Which is a huge issue with that teams bench. Think about it, who are the rockets beating if they continue to play just like what we saw last night? All offense no defense at all even though they have a few wing guys who can lock up in ariza, brewer, and e.gordon. If you ask me they need to run more plays for ryan anderson to get loose to be that 2nd star so E.gordon can be the 3rd guy from a scoring perspective. Then they could be that 8th to 7th seed again.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

well after last nights game as much as i loved that win for our lakers. I have to admit, it may be time to downgrade the new dwight howardless rockets. They have no interior defense whatsoever. And its true harden isnt just the best ball handler and passer on the team by a little, it's by a lot. Which is a huge issue with that teams bench. Think about it, who are the rockets beating if they continue to play just like what we saw last night? All offense no defense at all even though they have a few wing guys who can lock up in ariza, brewer, and e.gordon. If you ask me they need to run more plays for ryan anderson to get loose to be that 2nd star so E.gordon can be the 3rd guy from a scoring perspective. Then they could be that 8th to 7th seed again.

Yah, they sort of built a cartoon of an MDA team by getting all shooters, no defenders.
Lakersprime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I'm shocked. ESPN is usually fair to the Lakers...

How are we worse than the Nets?

Because Nets have J Lin.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

It's possible Houston is cellar bound. I can see them getting spanked more often than not, and I'm no fan of Harden or that team. Nonetheless, they took it to the Lakers early, and I like the way the Lakers responded in the second half. I think the Lakers are going to be awfully inconsistent for a while. I disagree, however, with the idea some posters are putting forward that we just don't have talent on this team. I do think there's enough talent on this team to come together and play some pretty good bb before the season is over.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
P.K. wrote:

The next month is brutal, that is why a win last night was so nice.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakersprime wrote:
Cochese wrote:
I'm shocked. ESPN is usually fair to the Lakers...

How are we worse than the Nets?

Because Nets have J Lin.

And not much more with Brook Lopez being turned into a jumpshooter in Atkinson's offense. Lin is going to get an opportunity to put up crazy numbers in that system - the Nets have shooters who can get hot, but no real creators besides him (unless we count Scola).
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:

Every year this happens. In 2014, it was the opening night win over the Clippers. In 2015, I remember there being a preseason game where everyone was making shots. In 2016, I remember a game where someone threw a punch and Roy Hibbert got in his face and everyone talked about how unified and fun the team was going to be.

It is going to take a little while to know what to really expect from this season. So far it looks like younger teams are going to be much better matchups. The Lakers starters looked very comfortable against the shaky defenses of Phoenix and Houston. Against the other teams, not so much.

A road game at Utah would usually be a good measure of what the team is made of but I think they're catching a break this time since the Jazz have a ton of injuries.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are a +8.5 for tomorrows game and the jazz have no Gordon Hayward. The league is straight sleeping on the lakers right now! I wish i was in vegas id put 200 minimum on that. Might even take them on the money line
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I remember Phil being new in 1999 and telling people not to over estimate his team. He said they would probably win 5 of the first 10 but the Lakers won 8-10. This team has to gel, and as bad as they looked at times against a good offensive team, their defense eventually came through. I believe 15-20 games into the season, if healthy, this team will look different and much better as more guys figure out their role and learn to depend on each other.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
Lakers are a +8.5 for tomorrows game and the jazz have no Gordon Hayward. The league is straight sleeping on the lakers right now! I wish i was in vegas id put 200 minimum on that. Might even take them on the money line
I like the way you think.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

We have guys that can score. A lot of outlets. We won't be out of many games. Play solid d to end qts and all of 4th and we should be between 40-47 wins
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

We're gonna shock the world. #1 seed here we come.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
We're gonna shock the world. #1 seed here we come.

But wait... In the Mitch & Jim thread you said we could possibly lose the next 20 games...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16
Jump to: