Porzingis potential
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Porzingis potential

Guy on NBA.com - think it was Brendan Haywood said Porzingis is likely to be a top 5 player in this league when he reaches his prime, and seemed to imply an MVP candidate basically if I read the tea leaves properly.

Is the verdict in that he's the best player in that draft? D-Lo may be an All Star at some point, maybe repeat All Star, but will he ever be in the hunt for MVP as in top 5? Because you can see that for Porzingis.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Porzingis potential

[DELETED - Consider this your warning, stick to talking about hoops.]
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject:

to me he will always be krispy porkfat
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject:

Still too early to tell, but Towns has been the best player in the draft. People are already calling him a future hall of famer.

I'm happy for Porzingis, especially after being booed by Knicks fans when he was drafted, but I'll never forget draft day 2016. ESPN was shi**ing all over DLo. They were constantly spewing that the Lakers regret picking DLo over Porzingis, as if it were a fact. It was disgusting.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject:

Towns is still the better player. The crazy thing? Let me give the caveat that I LOVE Porzingis. However, Towns was doing PZ's BEST games this year...LAST YEAR!/!/!

Now as a 7' 3" player....oh yeah. He's a guy onto his own. Absolutely.

We'll see where it goes. But in term of production? Yeah...let's slow yo roll yo.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

Way too early to talk about that. No way of knowing.

I just think his skill set is unique and pretty much now when I watch his highlights it looks like he could be unguardable. He's taking players into the post. He's a great shooter. He's doing small dribble drives with pull ups. Shot fakes. Stuff you expect a very good shooting guard to do. Then there's athleticism plays on the break or finishing above the rim.

He's just a fun player to watch. If he can stay away from serious injuries he has shown he has the skills and work ethic to keep improving. In terms of him vs Towns, Towns is better overall. This year Kristaps has closed the gap on O a bit. I tend to think KP gets more hype because of the type of guard like moves he makes at 7'3. But Towns is still the man of that draft right now. Better rebounder and more ready to lead a team.

Just a fantastic draft. Just compare it to guys drafted this year and no one is close to showing Towns or KP potential. Yet to see Simmons play though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

hey, you owe me royalties on that name.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

He's a really special player. That class is so loaded and would stand up to any draft class the past 10 years.

PG: DLO
SG: Booker
SF: Winslow
PF: KP
C: Towns

The only concern I have with KP is injuries. At 7'3, not many guys have had long careers in the NBA.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:

I totally forgot about Towns and actually Booker. I do think Towns is headed for superstardom and MVP-competing greatness someday. I was just thinking about DLo and Porzingis' highlights from last night as a 7'3" dude were phenomenal.

Actually, I had thought Towns was the clear superstar out of the draft before this season, though I thought DLo was unique and going to be something great and Porzingis was going to be a franchise player. Now I can see Porzingis maybe challenging Towns with DLo needing more time to see where he goes.

DLo will have some great games this season and it will be interesting to see what his consistent base level is looking back on the season. I am really encouraged by what I see so far this season on the whole and preseason. Anyway, he is getting probably the best coaching of all three, and playing in a system which will probably also teach him the most so at the end of the year it is going to be a lot easier to tell what his potential looks like compared to his Byron rookie year. The other guys maybe didn't have to deal with the same things, limited time and Kobe retiring and an unhelpful system.

Last edited by focus on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

hey, you owe me royalties on that name.

krispy porkfat is pretty awesome. This nation can come together to agree on that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I totally forgot about Towns and actually Booker. I do think he is headed for superstardom and MVP-competing greatness someday. I was just thinking about DLo and Porzingis' highlights from last night as a 7'3" dude were phenomenal.

Actually, I had thought Towns was the clear superstar out of the draft before this season, though I thought DLo was unique and going to be something great and Porzingis was going to be a franchise player. Now I can see Porzingis maybe challenging Towns with DLo needing more time to see where he goes.

DLo will have some great games this season and it will be interesting to see what his consistent base level is looking back on the season. I am really encouraged by what I see so far this season on the whole and preseason. Anyway, he is getting probably the best coaching of all three, and playing in a system which will probably also teach him the most so at the end of the year it is going to be a lot easier to tell what his potential looks like compared to his Byron rookie year. The other guys maybe didn't have to deal with the same things, limited time and Kobe retiring and an unhelpful system.

I think Booker will be more of a Klay Thompson type player who isn't good enough to lead a team but is a good scorer. He's really inefficient right now.

I still have Towns a clear cut over Porky/DLO. As of now I have:

Towns

Porky
DLO
Booker
Turner

Something like that for that class.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Way too early to talk about that. No way of knowing.

I just think his skill set is unique and pretty much now when I watch his highlights it looks like he could be unguardable. He's taking players into the post. He's a great shooter. He's doing small dribble drives with pull ups. Shot fakes. Stuff you expect a very good shooting guard to do. Then there's athleticism plays on the break or finishing above the rim.

He's just a fun player to watch. If he can stay away from serious injuries he has shown he has the skills and work ethic to keep improving. In terms of him vs Towns, Towns is better overall. This year Kristaps has closed the gap on O a bit. I tend to think KP gets more hype because of the type of guard like moves he makes at 7'3. But Towns is still the man of that draft right now. Better rebounder and more ready to lead a team.

Just a fantastic draft. Just compare it to guys drafted this year and no one is close to showing Towns or KP potential. Yet to see Simmons play though.

That turnaround move to jumper from last night off the dribble reminded me of Kobe and other players at the 2 or 3 for how smooth it was. At 7'3". Hitting 3 for 7 from 3. wth. Shooting touch only gets better for young guys, right (Dlo's going to be so fun to see light it up with his release over the years and ability to make space there too)?
Krispy gets more hype too bc of the whole NY thing, but hype has a point here. Phil's one obviously good decision since he's been running things there. Knicks fan have a base and that base will know how to play with a star coming in after playing with Melo.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
focus wrote:
I totally forgot about Towns and actually Booker. I do think he is headed for superstardom and MVP-competing greatness someday. I was just thinking about DLo and Porzingis' highlights from last night as a 7'3" dude were phenomenal.

I think Booker will be more of a Klay Thompson type player who isn't good enough to lead a team but is a good scorer. He's really inefficient right now.

Towns

Porky
DLO
Booker
Turner

Dang is Turner that good? Didn't know
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He's a really special player. That class is so loaded and would stand up to any draft class the past 10 years.

PG: DLO
SG: Booker
SF: Winslow
PF: KP
C: Towns

The only concern I have with KP is injuries. At 7'3, not many guys have had long careers in the NBA

Ding.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
focus wrote:

Towns

Porky
DLO
Booker
Turner

Dang is Turner that good? Didn't know

Yeah, he'll be one of the best in the class. He's a bit lost on defense (though he blocks shots), but he'll get there. Will be a 2 way big man who can shoot.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject:

It's either Mike (@) LG or GoldenThroat that said Porzingis is overrated. Whoever said it, I don't know what the hell was he's saying.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
It's either Mike AT LG or GoldenThroat that said Porzingis is overrated. Whoever said it, I don't know what the hell was he's saying.

I think Mike [AT] LG (and I agree) is concerned with KP's 7'3 frame and how well his body will hold up long-term.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:

He looks fantastic. He showed some of this excellent play last year but fatigue would set in and he'd have troubles sustaining that play throughout the entire game. Now that he's more used to NBA minutes he's able to keep up his high level of play for the whole game.

It's just so damn easy for him to get shots. He really should take over for Melo on the low shot clock shots. No one's bothering that shot.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Trade Melo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
He looks fantastic. He showed some of this excellent play last year but fatigue would set in and he'd have troubles sustaining that play throughout the entire game. Now that he's more used to NBA minutes he's able to keep up his high level of play for the whole game.

It's just so damn easy for him to get shots. He really should take over for Melo on the low shot clock shots. No one's bothering that shot.

Yeah, he's playing well. Again, the only concern for me is long-term how his 7'3 frame holds up. Can't think of too many higher usage 7'3 guys having a long NBA career.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
It's either Mike [ at ] LG or GoldenThroat that said Porzingis is overrated. Whoever said it, I don't know what the hell was he's saying.

It was both. But not just them, quite a few people on LG said the same. So did I for that matter
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

Only time will tell. Right now I would take Towns over him, and probably DLO as well. Porky hasn't finished a full NBA season, so let's give him time to prove he can do so before making him a top 5 player.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

dirk nowitski light
ExiledFromCA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Yeah, he's playing well. Again, the only concern for me is long-term how his 7'3 frame holds up. Can't think of too many higher usage 7'3 guys having a long NBA career.

Well, there have been only eight TOTAL 7'2"+ guys who ever had a 20 PER season:
Abdul-Jabbar - played 'til age 41
Gilmore - played 'til age 38
Sabonis - played 'til age 38
Ilgauskas - played 'til age 35
Smits - played 'til age 33
Yao Ming - played 'til age 28
Ralph Sampson - healthy 'til age 25
Muresan - healthy 'til age 25

so, honestly, the track record looks pretty good. Yao Ming was 7"6', Muresan was a 7'7" freak with a glandular disease - Porzingis' fluidity and agility is not remotely like those guys. If we just look at the odds, without him having any history of injury, there's no reason to think he's particularly likely to have a truncated career. Basically there's ONE cautionary tale of a similar player, Sabonis, having his game reduced, but a sample of one is not evidence of anything, and even Sabonis still managed to have a long, successful career.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

ExiledFromCA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

Well, there have been only eight TOTAL 7'2"+ guys who ever had a 20 PER season:
Abdul-Jabbar - played 'til age 41
Gilmore - played 'til age 38
Sabonis - played 'til age 38
Ilgauskas - played 'til age 35
Smits - played 'til age 33
Yao Ming - played 'til age 28
Ralph Sampson - healthy 'til age 25
Muresan - healthy 'til age 25

so, honestly, the track record looks pretty good. Yao Ming was 7"6', Muresan was a 7'7" freak with a glandular disease - Porzingis' fluidity and agility is not remotely like those guys. If we just look at the odds, without him having any history of injury, there's no reason to think he's particularly likely to have a truncated career. Basically there's ONE cautionary tale of a similar player, Sabonis, having his game reduced, but a sample of one is not evidence of anything, and even Sabonis still managed to have a long, successful career.

Nice list. Yeah, it's just an uphill battle body wise for guys THAT big. How about in the recent 10 years? It's what, Yao and that's it? Kind of unprecedented grounds for the past 10 years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: