Raptors/Kings Ending

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Raptors/Kings Ending

NBA refs are the worst in professional sports. This is insane. I have never seen more inept refereeing ever. A bunch of these refs should get investigated, if nothing pops up then just fire them cause they are awful.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Didn't see the endin outside of this video, but looks like they called it correctly after watching the replay.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Didn't see the endin outside of this video, but looks like they called it correctly after watching the replay.

Yeah sure Cousins tipped the ball but Ross played with the clock he was watching. Do you really expect him to assume Cousins touched it and make the math in his head to know when to shoot it? It should have been a redo or shot counted since it wasn't the Raptors fault. It was actually the Kings time keeper's fault. This was horrendous.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:

Terrence Ross took the shot based on the clock in front of him. At MOST they should have gotten a second crack at it. It was the home timekeeper in Sacramento that screwd up and the ref decided to retroactively imagine how long that sequence took. I rewatched it a dozen times and it left Ross' hand right around 0.4 or so seconds.

That left the refs to re-imagine how long it took from Boogie's deflection to Ross getting the ball. That's quite a stretch for something that needs to be conclusive to overturn.

It was wretched.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if there was like 10 seconds left and Ross waited 9.6 secs to shoot it. Oh but wait shot didn't count cause Cousins tipped it. Yeah if the clock would have started before like it should have Ross wouldn't have waited 9.6 secs, maybe 9.2 secs or whatever. Duhh.

I don't even like the Raptors but this has to be one of the worst calls ever.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Do we blame the refs or the rulebook though? I personally don't know the rule here, but I assume refs made that decision with official rules in mind.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Do we blame the refs or the rulebook though? I personally don't know the rule here, but I assume refs made that decision with official rules in mind.

You assume too much. These refs don't know the rulebook.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Dude.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Dude.

What? Every time there is a error in clock operation, the play is dead and the clock reset and the play is re-done.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject:

IceInMyVeins wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
IceInMyVeins wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Dude.

What? Every time there is a error in clock operation, the play is dead and the clock reset and the play is re-done.

That was clear, calm and concise.
Start with that next time.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

So, wouldn't the correct call in this instance be to replay the possession?

The fact that they called it off is just par for the course with the underlying corruption of the sports and gambling.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:

They called it correctly, but without the clock being operated correctly how is the shooter supposed to know how much time is left on a phantom clock? Maybe if he saw the clock moving he would have tried to get it off quicker. A redo should be the worst that can happen there. It was the clock persons fault. The team can't be expected to have internal clocks.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:

funniest thing was watching the kings sideline reporter lady trying to pull cousins into an interview and failing and then pulling on rudy gay's jersey and failing again
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

Sounds like the refs called it right per the rulebook. Sucks for the Raptors, but going to blame the rulebook here instead of the refs. We can still blame the refs/timekeepers for not getting the clock ticking as soon as Cousins touched it. also sounds like the refs/timekeepers messed up the time after the possession prior which worked against the Raptors. I can see why they're ticked off.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/21/13697686/raptors-kings-ending-video-terrence-ross-referee
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

I remember this one time, I think it was Lebron James, that a made a half court shot with like 1 second left or less than a second but the time-keeper failed to start the clock or something like that and they had to re-do the play.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Better hope this game doesn't determine who makes the playoffs vs who doesn't.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/11/21/nba-report-says-officials-handled-clock-situation-correctly-at-end-of-raptorskings/

Quote:
NBA report says officials handled clock situation correctly at end of Raptors/Kings

The question wasn’t “did the officials correctly interpret the clock rules at the end of the Raptors/Kings game Sunday?” They did. Well except for almost a second that is missing from the clock late. Rather, the real question is “why is that the rule in the first place?”

Monday the NBA’s official “two-minute report” looking at the calls in the final two minutes of close games backed the official’s handling of the play.

To recap, in case you haven’t see this (the video is above): The Kings led 102-97 late when Sacramento’s Darren Collison fouled Kyle Lowry on a three-pointer with :27.4 left. Lowry hit two of the three free throws. The Kings tried to run out the clock they didn’t hit the rim on a shot, leading to a :24-second violation, and the Kings got the ball back with 2.4 seconds on the clock. On the ensuing inbound pass at halfcourt, DeMarcus Cousins tip the pass, but the clock didn’t start immediately. Toronto’s Terrence Ross picked up the ball, took two dribbles and nailed the three to force overtime. Except, upon review, the referees said that the clock should have started when Cousins touched the ball and that meant the shot did not get off on time. The officials waived off the shot. Game over.

Here are the two key sticking points. This is straight from the report:

The report says at :27.4 left Collison did foul Lowry on his three, and they consulted with the instant replay center and confirmed the call. All of that is right and proper. But when Lowry steps to the line there are 26.4 seconds remaining. That gap of elapsed time makes a massive difference on the final play.

As for the final play, here is what the report said:

The on-court referees noticed a clock malfunction on the inbounds play and correctly triggered an instant replay. After communicating with the Replay Center, it was determined that the clock should have started when Cousins (SAC) tips the ball and run to 0:00.00 before Ross’ (TOR) shot was released.

Again, the question isn’t did the referees get it right, as much as is that a fair rule? For the guy taking the shot, he has to go by the clock on the court that he is looking at, and Ross did that. Could Ross have gotten off that shot more quickly if the clock started on time? Maybe not, but now we are getting into speculation about what would or would not have been different, that was not the reality at the time.

The fact is that the Sacramento-based clock operator messed up and the visiting Raptors paid the price. That’s not good optics for the NBA.

The fair thing here would be to allow a replay of the final 2.4 (or more accurate 3.4) seconds of the game. That’s not the rule right now, but it should be.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Crappy situation. it was hard to tell in real time that the clock started late and by the time you've already let the play happen, it's messy to go back and replay the whole thing.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

There would be all sorts of what if scenarios if they allowed for them to replay. What if one of the players gets injured or disqualified/ejected for some other behavior during the initial, but now unofficial time? That would change the dynamics of the replayed time as well. It's just a lose lose. Right thing to do in my mind would be to try instead to minimize this situation entirely, ideally with improved technology that's less reliant on human element. Technology that's built into the ball to have it sync with the clock upon it being touched?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject:

I wish the NBA wasn't being so pedantic with the replay expansion. It's been horrible for the product. I've had the suspicion that it relates to gambling which the league wants to see legalized more broadly. I suppose the idea is that ref are less likely to be able to Donaghy things. It's not improving the game. Human element is part of the game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Not sure what they are protesting about, the clock operator screwed up by not starting the clock correctly. It would be unfair for them to replay the same sequence, I can see something similar like the Team USA vs USSR Gold Medal game in the Olympics where the opposing team has another try and get the desired outcome.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I wish the NBA wasn't being so pedantic with the replay expansion. It's been horrible for the product. I've had the suspicion that it relates to gambling which the league wants to see legalized more broadly. I suppose the idea is that ref are less likely to be able to Donaghy things. It's not improving the game. Human element is part of the game.

Replay is necessary in todays age of making sure we get things right, especially with all the technology available to us. Pretty much all sports are doing it now. Better to go with the times....even baseball with all its tradition has gone to replay grudgingly.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Not sure what they are protesting about, the clock operator screwed up by not starting the clock correctly. It would be unfair for them to replay the same sequence, I can see something similar like the Team USA vs USSR Gold Medal game in the Olympics where the opposing team has another try and get the desired outcome.

How so? At least give the Raptors a real shot at tying the game and maybe win in OT. Baffling that you think it's fair to give the Raptors a Loss and move on when they did absolutely nothing wrong.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

You can't call that shot off especially when he played within the clock I agree with the OP.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/09/nba-denies-raptors-protest-of-loss-to-kings/

Quote:
NBA denies Raptors’ protest of loss to Kings

NEW YORK (AP) — The NBA has denied the Toronto Raptors’ protest of their 102-99 loss to the Sacramento Kings on Nov. 20.

The league announced the decision Friday.

Toronto argued that the game officials incorrectly called for an instant replay review of whether the Raptors’ Terrence Ross released a 3-point shot prior to the expiration of actual time remaining.

The Replay Center official reviewed video of the play using a digital timer and determined the actual time remaining in the game expired before Ross released his shot, and the shot therefore did not count.

The league found that calling for an instant replay review in this case was consistent with the playing rules because the game officials determined that there was a clock malfunction
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: