MJ Proud of Westbrook Loyalty

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: MJ Proud of Westbrook Loyalty

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18080094

Quote:
"I am truly a fan of his," said Jordan, the six-time NBA champion and five-time MVP. "When I watch him play, I see a lot of resemblance of his passion for the game of basketball, the way I played the game of basketball."

Quote:
Jordan commended Westbrook for re-signing with the Thunder after Kevin Durant left and signed with the Golden State Warriors.

"I'm not here to try to bash anyone that's not here," Jordan said, drawing laughter from the crowd at the Cox Convention Center. "Everybody has a choice. I'm not saying you don't have a choice. Everybody has a choice, and when I saw that he chose to stay here in Oklahoma, I was so proud."

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/18/michael-jordan-inducts-russell-westbrook-oklahoma-hof
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I think hes happy for Westbrook for supporting a small market team... there are alot of great players who played for different teams but still hold alot of respect among peers

KAJ
Jordan (himself)
Lebronze
Malone
Barkley
Drexler
Hill
Tmac
etc... list continues
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Will he still appreciate it when Westbrook leaves in 2 seasons?

Will Westbrook appreciate staying when he's barely the player he was at 29 because he wasted 2 years carrying a franchise going nowhere on his back because he's "old school" or would he have rather had the option to go to a team like say the Clippers in the off-season, pairing up with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin to make some noise in the West while he was still with a semblence of his prime.

Maybe he should ask Anthony Davisif he's gonna stick around and waste his prime after the next few years, if Anthony Davis hasn't been ruined by what he's going through in New Orleans. Cause that's what Westbrook's gonna be enduring for the next 2 years.

Know what else? Carmelo was praised for staying in New York too. Now a few seasons later he's called a fool for not leaving, and a pathological loser.

Now had he "ran" from New York and went to the Rockets or the Bulls. They may have been mad initially, but as those teams started constantly appearing in the playoff picture as opposed to squandering every year, suddenly the story would change.

But you see on the flipside, when you stay in a bad situation, the story INITIALLY is "oh he's so loyal/old school" But as you start to lose. THAT story takes precedence.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Jordan is an owner. Of course he sees it this way. He didn't like Lebron leaving either

Plus Westbrook is a Jordan brand athlete
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Jordan is an owner. Of course he sees it this way. He didn't like Lebron leaving either
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

big fish in a little pond Westbrook!

You could have been one of MANY Laker greats, instead you will have to settle for the second best Thunder player of all time...

And I see injuries a comin' as you try to carry this team on your back...
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
22 wrote:

And WB is the main guy on the Jordan brand right now. So much conflict of interest.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Durant going to GS (assuming he wins there) will help his legacy more than Westbrook staying in OKC.

Kobe could have left the Lakers right after Shaq left, but I didn't see him get tons of credit for his "loyalty" when the Lakers lost to Phoenix in 2006 and 2007. Instead he was criticized for being a selfish ballhog that didn't make his teammates better.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Slightly off-topic but here's KD's shooting #'s in GSW.

http://i.imgur.com/W3h0qnm.png

Literally ...wt...f...type %'s.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
22 wrote:

Mike's the guy who at one of his retirement functions thanked god that Chicago drafted him instead of Porty. He just didn't get on his knee like Worthy did when thanking our Lord and Saviour, Jesus H. Christ that the Clipps lost the coin toss.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
big fish in a little pond Westbrook!

You could have been one of MANY Laker greats, instead you will have to settle for the second best Thunder player of all time...

That's the same salty attitude I have about it. I probably wouldn't have given a s hadn't Adams and the media laughed at Lakerfan and the franchise for daring to hope that we had a shot at him. Now, I hope AD comes over here and takes that superstar role. A superstar should be able to take the heat of a major market's spotlight.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Loyalty don't win rings. Ask KG. He left Minnesota, went to Boston, got his ring and went back.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

WB is a great individual talent. The usage rate must be through the roof. Anyone who has the ball in his hands that much is going to put up stats. How that translates into wins is a different matter. Everyone on the team should be touching the ball. Ball needs to move, bodies need to move.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
WB is a great individual talent. The usage rate must be through the roof. Anyone who has the ball in his hands that much is going to put up stats. How that translates into wins is a different matter. Everyone on the team should be touching the ball. Ball needs to move, bodies need to move.

It's a veiled rumor that's why KD left OKC. It's been implied WB is difficult to play with.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Durant going to GS (assuming he wins there) will help his legacy more than Westbrook staying in OKC.

Kobe could have left the Lakers right after Shaq left, but I didn't see him get tons of credit for his "loyalty" when the Lakers lost to Phoenix in 2006 and 2007. Instead he was criticized for being a selfish ballhog that didn't make his teammates better.

Unfortunately, at that time he was guilty of those crimes. Kobe at that point was trying to show people he could win without Shaq, that he could do it on his own. That was deterimental to the team.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Unfortunately, at that time he was guilty of those crimes. Kobe at that point was trying to show people he could win without Shaq, that he could do it on his own. That was deterimental to the team.

partially true but Kobe was running with D-Leaguers in 2006 and 2007, your superstar should try to take over in this case. Westbrook is running with Adams, Oladipo and Kanter, all better than avg NBA starters. Not the same. Debatable if it was detrimental to the team
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: MJ Proud of Westbrook Loyalty

Black20Ice wrote:
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18080094

Quote:
"I am truly a fan of his," said Jordan, the six-time NBA champion and five-time MVP. "When I watch him play, I see a lot of resemblance of his passion for the game of basketball, the way I played the game of basketball."

Quote:
Jordan commended Westbrook for re-signing with the Thunder after Kevin Durant left and signed with the Golden State Warriors.

"I'm not here to try to bash anyone that's not here," Jordan said, drawing laughter from the crowd at the Cox Convention Center. "Everybody has a choice. I'm not saying you don't have a choice. Everybody has a choice, and when I saw that he chose to stay here in Oklahoma, I was so proud."

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/11/18/michael-jordan-inducts-russell-westbrook-oklahoma-hof

Eh. In professional sports, "loyalty" is nothing more than self-interests aligning. When either the team's or the player's self-interest changes, the "loyalty" ends.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

So how did the Laker's and Jim Chones self-interests align when the Lakers paid for his healthcare after he had retired? Or the Lakers and Ronny Turiaf when they paid for his heart surgery despite him not being a Laker? Or the Lakers giving Magic a 25-year contract once he had to retire from HIV? Loyalty exists, we have seen it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

partially true but Kobe was running with D-Leaguers in 2006 and 2007, your superstar should try to take over in this case. Westbrook is running with Adams, Oladipo and Kanter, all better than avg NBA starters. Not the same. Debatable if it was detrimental to the team

Odom was better than all three. Caron too in 2004-2005.

Kanter is a low efficiency post-up player who can't play defense. Adams is solid but offensively limited and not really worth $100 million. Oladipo is pretty good but not a real second option.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
governator wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Odom was better than all three. Caron too in 2004-2005.

Kanter is a low efficiency post-up player who can't play defense. Adams is solid but offensively limited and not really worth $100 million. Oladipo is pretty good but not a real second option.

debatable

Young Odom wasn't equal to peak Odom
Forgot about Caron, he was good, you're right about him
Adams is way better in my opinion than your description, same with Oladipo
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

It took til the end of his days before Kobe was getting recognized as a 20 yr franchise player. There was that little period of doubt in 2007 whether he was going to successfully force a trade and Baylor claimed he verbally agreed to the Clippers in 2004 before reneging at the zero hour. Took him awhile for those situations to recede into the distant fog.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: