Who's the TLFLG? (Truest Laker Fan on LG)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

First (ever) favorite team: Dodgers. I collected baseball cards and was in grade school when Tommy Lasorda and that awsome young core of players, Garvey, Lopes, Cey and Russell were in LA. That core stayed together for 8 years, won championships and created a great rivalry with the Yankees. That was majic for a young boy.

First ever NBA Team is of course the Lakers. I didn't start following basketball until the 80s when Showtime took the floor. By the time I started paying attention the Lakers were NBA royalty. Sure I knew about West and Goodrich and of course Baylor but for me it all started with Majic and Kareem, Coop and Scott, Worthy, AC and of course the first Superman Kurt Rambis. I remember watching games at Joe Josts in Long Beach telling people one day Majic would retire, but at the time it felt like he would play forever. Anyway that is when I got hooked on the Lakers. I saw Showtime come and go, watched Shaq and Kobe do thier thing and everything in between and since. If I could I would watch every game they play.

First favorite player: I'm a Laker fan. I loved Majic and Kareem. Shaq was a once in a lifetime player and Kobe was god but I love the Lakers. When Shaq went to the Heat I tried to watch some Heat games but I could never watch a full game. It's the Lakers and always will be. I guess I'm a team guy.

Clippers: I've tried to watch but just can't do it. I will watch the most awful Laker games wire to wire but can't stomach the best Clipper games.

Favorite thing about being a Laker fan - telling my girls about them. About the players and the championships. They know all about Kobe and Shaq because my oldest was born during that era. They know about Bynum and Gasol. But the best thing is now, because I tell them about Randall and Russell, Nance and Ingram, a young core of players with a carismatic and talented young coach in Luke Walton. And when I do, I can't help but think about my first favorite team, those young Dodgers, and I can't help but hope they will get a chance to see something magical the way I did when I was thier age.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

-First (ever) favorite team: Lakers

-Second (ever) favorite team: Ferrari (F1), now Porsche (WEC)

-First favorite player: Michael Cooper

-First "brush of love" with Lakers: Me being a 6 year old and my uncle and father watching me yell at Kurt Rambis to make his free throws against the Knicks on the road

-First favorite Laker: Still Michael Cooper. 3rd round pick. So skinny, he's transparent. Did the dirty work on defense. One of the early all time 3-point field goal shooters for the Lakers. Perfect for modern day NBA too.

- Multiple sets of Laker basketball cards by year/roster

- 2000, was upset that the Lakers drafted Mark Madsen when I wanted Marko Jaric. Thought it would be a perfect with with Phil Jackson wanting a big PG.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

* Favorite Team : Lakers
* Beginnings : Lakers 1972-73

This team was special. Best backcourt, The Logo & Gail Goodgrich, PReiley coming off bench. An Aging Wilt and JMCMilliam @ SF. AND my favorite Laker ever: Happy Hairston. This guy being 6-7 average that year 16 & 13 playing PF. BTW Happy played 6 seasons for the Lakers averaging 12.4 rebounds as a Laker and 10.3 in his career retiring @ 32 yrs. old.

1980 Decade Fav Laker : Jamaal Wilkes
1990 Decade Fav Laker : Cedric Ceballos
2000 Decade Fav Laker : Lamar Odom
2010 Decade Fav Laker : Don Julio

BTW there is a Puertorican that is a past Laker ring champion: Butch Lee with the 1980 LA Lakers ( kind of a MMadsen ring but whatever...)
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
I am.

Tied for first with 30 million other people around the world.

Well said.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject:

First (ever) favorite team: Lakers

-Second favorite team: When not playing the Lakers, I root for the Warriors because I live in the Bay. I've rooted for them long before they became good but it's nothing like the Lakers

-First favorite player: Kobe Bryant, this guy was my childhood

-Favorite rookie: D'Angelo Russell, it was really frustrating watching that season but the feeling of having a potential star from day one made it fun

-Favorite version of Kobe: 24 because I started watching in 2008

-Favorite all star games: Any of the games after 2008 where Kobe won MVP

-First jersey: Lakers away jersey

-Laker merchandise: I'm a broke college kid, and my family never really spoiled me with random stuff but I have 2 Kobe jerseys, 3 Laker banners/traingle thingies, Kobe bobble head, Lakers PJs, Lakers clock and a black mamba (bleep)
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject:

Lakers were not my first favorite team - they were too Hollywood for me in the 80's. But i started to watch them more and more and their commitment to excellence and Chick's awesome play by play got me hooked.

NVE, Eddie and Kobe are my favorite players.

I'll admit, even though i love to root for the Lakers and have since 91, i don't consider myself anywhere near the truest laker fan category. I got relatives and friends that i consider harder core.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: N/A
-First favorite player: Kobe
-First jersey: Iverson
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: Watching Nick the quick and Eddie Jones play while my mom frantically cheered (I've literally never seen her more emotional than during those Laker days).
-First favorite Laker: Kobe
-2 Lakers jerseys: Johnson and Worthy (my brothers hand me down)

-Was upset when Lakers didn't sign Chauncey Billups for the MLE and then he went on to crush us in the finals. I think we extended Dev George instead?
-First saw Kobe live as an 18 year old versus the Karl Malone/Stockton Utah Jazz.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject:

-First (ever) favorite team: MINNEAPOLIS LAKERS
-Second (ever) favorite team: LOS ANGELES LAKERS
-First favorite player: GEORGE MIKAN
-First jersey: GEORGE MIKAN DePaul COLLEGE THROWBACK
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: APRIL 4TH 1949, BAA FINALS VERSUS WASHINGTON CAPITOLS. WE WON AND I CAUGHT THE TROLLEY HOME FOR A DIME.
-First favorite Laker: JIM "THE KANGAROO KID" POLLARD
-2 Lakers jerseys: #16 JOHNNY JORGENSON AND #10 HERM SCHAEFER

- Moved to Los Angeles with the team in '59 as a show of support

- Opposed introduction of three point line as it strayed from Dr Naismiths original vision for the game.

-Spat a loogie on Bob Cousy's spats outside the Brown Derby in '60

- Challenged Bob Pettit to a fist fight and lost.

- Sold cocaine freely during the '70s, leading to the leagues downturn and our eventual drafting of Magic Johnson, whom I later purchased a movie theatre with.

- Allowed wife to be one of Wilt Chamberlains 10,000 women and never once complained.

- Allowed wife to end AC Greens abstinence and never once complained.

- Introduced Tex Winter to Phil Jackson

- Have routinely set fire to anything green I have come into contact with in my lifetime, despite repeated jail sentences.

- Bribed officials with my 401k during Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

In the mid-80's basketball was the 2nd sport in Brazil, but we only knew about the NBA by some comments here and there, especially after Oscar Schmidt was drafted by the Nets in 1984, though he remained in Italy to be one of Kobe's childhood heroes.

In 1987 they started broadcasting the first NBA games to Brazil and the impact was huge among basketball fans. It was another game completely and we were mesmerized by that fast paced, high skilled, athletic game. I was stunned by that tall PG who could penetrate defenses like a hot knife thru butter and make the most amazing assists.

-Second (ever) favorite team: I don't have one, though I tend to prefer West teams over East. I believe the only time I rooted for for an Eastern team in the finals was in 2006 because of the big guy.
-First favorite player: Magic
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: refer to the last paragraph above.
-First favorite Laker: Magic.
-Other favorites: Byron, Eddie, Shaq, Kobe and Pau.

- Living in Europe, my routine as a Laker fan is tough. I can't watch live games and first thing in the morning - still in bed - is checking NBA app for scoreboxes. DB Thoughts and Ratings is my read in the tram going downtown.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure whether the label "truest Laker fan" is even a positive attribute or not. I think it's not something I covet.

Almost by definition, he must be so completely passionate about Laker basketball that he is probably too blinded by passion (overwhelmingly so) to be fair about who our team, franchise and players actually are or were.

I'm an old Laker fan who starting watching our team during Elgin Baylor's first days with the club in Los Angeles. I'm not the truest fan. I have rooted for the Spurs many years, and sometimes even against my Lakers in those instances when the Spurs have been the far better team. I like the play of great basketball, even if the greater team isn't my fave.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: APRIL 4TH 1949, BAA FINALS VERSUS WASHINGTON CAPITOLS. WE WON AND I CAUGHT THE TROLLEY HOME FOR A DIME.

- Opposed introduction of three point line as it strayed from Dr Naismiths original vision for the game.

- Sold cocaine freely during the '70s, leading to the leagues downturn and our eventual drafting of Magic Johnson, whom I later purchased a movie theatre with.

- Allowed wife to be one of Wilt Chamberlains 10,000 women and never once complained.

- Have routinely set fire to anything green I have come into contact with in my lifetime, despite repeated jail sentences.

- Bribed officials with my 401k during Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals

We have a winner!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
El Seano wrote:

We have a winner!

Nobody stands a chance against this.
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

ME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Oh lord... here we go with this "REAL LAKERS FAN" bs.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:

The tr00est of the tr00
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject:

It's me and it ain't even close, except maybe Wolf.

The rest of you are pimple faced wanna-be's!!! LOL

Well, you are!!!
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: Lakers
-First favorite player: Kobe
-First jersey: Kobe
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: Kobe highlights on Youtube
-First favorite Laker: Kobe
-2 Lakers jerseys: gold Kobe and white Kobe
-Used to troll people on espn.com back in 2011-2012 when they had their own profiles (before the FB integration) and it was wonderful.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

-Second (ever) favorite team: USC Football
-First favorite player: Byron Scott
-First jersey: Shaquille O'Neal #34
-First "brush of love" with Lakers: Watching them lose to MJ's Bulls in 1991 and crying my eyes out.
-Lakers jerseys: Nick Van Exel road authentic, Shaq home (forum version) and blue Sports Arena throwback, Cedric Ceballos home, Kobe home #8 (forum version) Andrew Bynum home
- Hate the Clippers with a dedicated passion
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are my favorite and only NBA team that I root for. I've never even liked a second team.

My least favorite teams, in order, are the Clippers and Celtics. The Celtics are self-explanatory. I despise the Clippers, partly because of how scummy their previous owner was, and largely because I can't stand Doc Rivers and CP3 (Napoleon complex) and Blake Griffin, plus their fans act entitled when they have never even advanced to a conference final. They just irk me big time. At least I can respect the Celtics, even if I hate them. I hate the Clippers and don't respect them. I also dislike the Warriors now, what with KD turning into an aloof jerk and Draymond turning into something of a goon on the court, but my dislike for them doesn't approach my dislike of the other two. (I also didn't like the Michael Jordan Bulls teams, because I thought MJ was a straight-up jerk, and I think I was actually proven right as more information about him came out over the years, but I digress.)

My first jersey was a James Worthy kids' jersey, then a Magic Johnson jersey, and I have two different Kobe jerseys. The first is a replica-style Minneapolis Lakers Kobe #8 jersey that's a light blue color, and the second is a white Kobe #24 jersey, like the Sunday whites.

The first Laker player I fell in love with, and still my all-time favorite, is Magic. There will never be another like the Magic Man. Also really liked Kareem as a young kid, and have come to think that he is the most underappreciated true all-time great player in basketball history. Of the current players, my favorite is probably Russell, although Ingram isn't far behind.

Although I watched the Lakers as a young kid before this memory I'm about to mention, the first memory that I can vividly recall was that game-winning bucket by Magic at the Boston Garden in Game 4 of the 1987 NBA Finals. I was watching the game and, as custom, we had the CBS telecast on mute and were listening to Chick on the radio. I can still hear it now: "...just what I thought, a hook shot of 12 GOOOOOOOOOD! Two seconds left! The Lakers take the lead, on Magic Johnson's running sky hook!" Die-hard fans will remember that Larry Bird got a wide-open look at the buzzer that looked like it was dead-straight going in, but it clanged off the back iron. Barely. In any case, that moment was probably what hooked me for life.

Having just turned 40, I've seen a lot since that running sky hook in '87. The back-to-back titles in the late 1980's. Magic's HIV announcement, which reduced me to tears as a high schooler. The re-making of the team in the mid-1990's with Van Exel and Jones and Peeler and Ceballos, including Magic's brief return. (I will never forget his first game back, when he went 19/8/10 against the Warriors, including that amazing play where he completely looked away from the basket after getting a pass, faking the defender out of his shoes, and then finished off the layup at the rim. Yeah, you can say no other player moved me like Magic did.) Trading for Kobe and signing Shaq, and then getting Phil, leading to a three-peat and then later, another repeat with the help of Pau. Finally beating the Celtics in a Game 7 at home. The recent lean years on the heels of Dr. Buss' death. And so many other things that I didn't say.

Even though the LA Kings are my favorite team in sports, and even though the Dodgers were the first team I loved as a child, no team in this area has the power to bring people together like the Lakers. There's an energy and a buzz when the team is winning like nothing else. Even when we were down for a while, people in this area cared about Laker basketball far more than Clipper basketball, and as long as I'm alive, I'll do everything I can to make sure it stays that way! I love this team, and even when this organization tested my patience with the Byron Scott years, there was no way my love for this franchise could ever dissipate.

Oh, and I would certainly go along with the notion that DB has to win the Truest Laker Fan On LG contest!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: