Quarter Mile Mark: Things to Be Optimistic and Happy About ("I LOVE BASKETBALL")
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Nice thread big fella

You could add that the Laker brain trust seems to be growing.

Their analytics department is no longer lagging the field. Jim addressed his greatest performance issue which was coaching hires, deserving extra credit for not letting the prospects of bringing in a Phil friendly crew deter him from tapping the right guys including Shaw. Jeannie seems to be turning the page on Phil v Jim (though she is prone to relapse from time to time). Magic has shown love, including for DLO. Lots of good stuff.

Folks talk about finding FAs that can grow with the core age-wise.

Same with Luke. He's a rookie coach with a bunch of basically rookie-core young players. They will all grow old together. I can't emphasize how important that is.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I know the Luke Walton is the greatest FA signing since Shaq sounds like hyperbole, but you have potentially a coach who can grow with this team for the next 20 years. That's pretty amazing.

I think we dodged a bullet with Thibs. He's going to wear out the Wolves in a year or two.

This.
It's amazing to think that Luke can be our Popovich, our Sloan and coach the Lakers for 20 years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

The most Important aspect in all of the positives and 1 thing that is making the Lakers win is the fact that the FO isn't in dysfunction, everyone is on the same page, and now we are witnessing a team no 1 expected to win a lot, coming together cause the whole Organization is enjoying it rather then comphrensing rather this team is the right team.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

Last season, the team was 9-41 when we won our 10th
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Eating crow on Nick, Lou, Randle and Mozgov. Didn't think any of those 4 would be as good as they are currently. Nick I wanted off the team. Lou was a mindless chucker that had no concept of 'team ball.' Randle was a bull in china shop always go to left no jump shot player and I wanted Nance to start over him. Mozgov was a declining big man vastly overpaid with very little to offer - I thought Black would eventually earn a starting C spot over him.

Was wrong on all 4 preseason misconceptions. Happy to admit I was wrong.

This is like the anti piss & moan thread. Happy that we are playing both sides of court. Happy to see the effort. And excited to see the young core be this good currently with still SOOOOO MUCH room for improvement given how talented they are.

Gladly admitted too!

Just to think baby Luke, baby DLo, baby Randle, baby Nance, toddler JC, Teenage Tarik, fetus Ingram and sperm cell Zubac...

What would their prime looks like...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:

Things are going great, though my prediction that we challenge for the Finals in 2018 might be premature. Or then again, maybe it won't.

And for those bagging on Jim Buss, pound sand.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

Great post.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Things are going great, though my prediction that we challenge for the Finals in 2018 might be premature. Or then again, maybe it won't.

And for those bagging on Jim Buss, pound sand.

At this rate.

2016-17: compete for that 8th spot.
2017-18: definitely make the playoffs.
2018-19: sign PG13, be a top 3 seed.
2019-20: win it all.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:

I Love Basketball!

(Great thread)
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject:

Jim Buss has been the biggest surprise for me this season.

I recognize improvement when I see it. It appears that he has learned from his mistakes and that is really all that you can ask of someone.

Namely, he had a plan to hire a young un-proven coach instead of the series of re-treads that he has hired previously. He targeted Luke quickly, made the offer and locked him up fast. It was such a vast change over how Byron was hired. I am happy to give Jim credit for this franchise changing hire. Kudos to you!
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

For me the better feeling is how our playbook is getting fatter and everybody is learning it. In the phil's triangle days, Each new player took about 1 year & half to learn the triangle!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Was watching Star Wars 7 randomly last night, and Kylo Ren said something to the effect that Rey was learning and growing in her powers every minute after she escaped the interrogation room.

That's like the Lakers. Every month this team is just growing b/c we have a bunch of young players who are learning, and even Luke too.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Be happy about the Lakers? Never!

!...
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking the team would be way under 500 for the 1st half of the season and hoping they would mesh into playing 500 ball for the 2nd half. But now they've exceeded my expectations.

Props to Luke and also Mitch & Jim who have really made some excellent draft choices and FA choices (holding out on Deng for now). Philly & Minny also played the scorched earth game with their rosters and while they've got some great young talent, neither has put together a great young TEAM. Same with Sac who has a good Allstar center, but can't build around him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Kava wrote:
Eating crow on Nick, Lou, Randle and Mozgov. Didn't think any of those 4 would be as good as they are currently. Nick I wanted off the team. Lou was a mindless chucker that had no concept of 'team ball.' Randle was a bull in china shop always go to left no jump shot player and I wanted Nance to start over him. Mozgov was a declining big man vastly overpaid with very little to offer - I thought Black would eventually earn a starting C spot over him.

Was wrong on all 4 preseason preconceptions. Happy to admit I was wrong.

This is like the anti piss & moan thread. Happy that we are playing both sides of court. Happy to see the effort. And excited to see the young core be this good currently with still SOOOOO MUCH room for improvement given how talented they are.

This is like an 11 month old baby playing Chopin, albeit rough and choppy, but still...

We are the Baby Lakers and watch out when this baby grows up.

Maybe an 11 year old kid is better for the analogy
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kava wrote:

This is like an 11 month old baby playing Chopin, albeit rough and choppy, but still...

Eh. At that age I was ripping up Chopin...and I ain't no 2016-17 Lakers.

Ok, so maybe a 4 year old? My son is that age and if he was playing some Chopin, I'd be like...what the...
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kava wrote:

Eh. At that age I was ripping up Chopin...and I ain't no 2016-17 Lakers.

Ok, so maybe a 4 year old? My son is that age and if he was playing some Chopin, I'd be like...what the...

Baby Jimmy Buss was doin that in the womb with his awkward backward cap on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Celtics now have All-Star talent, but the foundation was laid in 2013 when they hired a wonderboy head coach in Brad Stevens, who installed his system and maximized the talents of misfits and outcasts like Jordan Crawford and Evan Turner. Stevens has been as integral to their success as any player, if not more so. Luke Walton is doing the same thing for the Lakers with his motion-based offense, which has elevated the youth and made Nick Young a usable NBA player. The Lakers’ first-round pick in the upcoming draft will likely be heading to Philadelphia, since it’s only top-three-protected. If the Lakers were still deploying a retrograde system, maybe there would be more of a reason to ensure that the team maintains the pick. But the draft process is fickle, and the Lakers have enough talent to find their answers from within rather than from ping-pong balls.

The 2017 draft class is loaded with potential stars that will further increase the league’s talent pool, but there aren’t any teams that have resigned themselves to being awful, which diminishes the need to tank this early. The Sixers were 1–19 and the Lakers were 3–16 on December 5 last season;

https://theringer.com/nba-middle-class-milwaukee-bucks-boston-celtics-4d9427a48a38#.jdbi5s8ui
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

The last loss at Memphis notwithstanding, I'm totally happy with the team. Good coaching, effort, good chemistry. Near 500 with our injuries and tough schedule? Once DLO and young are back we should be rolling. At this point I'll be surprised if we don't get into the playoffs, at least as an 8th seed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: