View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Amazon Go

What do you all think of this?

LINK

Quote:
Amazon just unveiled a grocery store without lines or checkout counters. Amazon Go, a 1800-square-foot retail space located in the company’s hometown of Seattle, lets shoppers just grab the items they want and leave; the order gets charged to their Amazon account afterwards.

Amazon Go works by using computer vision and sensors to detect what items you’re taking out of the store. You start by scanning an app as you enter the Amazon Go shop. You do your normal shopping, and the sensors throughout the store identify the items in your cart and charge them to your account when you walk out the door. It’ll feel like shoplifting, except you’re actually being watched by more cameras than you can imagine.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Depends on 1) accuracy and 2) Data use.

Also, I would want some sort of total that I would acknowledge before I walk out of the store.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

Hi Dave. What would you like to buy today?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

Just saw this in my news feed today. I think, as a concept, it's pretty neat and I welcome it entirely. But I think they have a couple of things they have to consider.

1) They'll have to ensure someone scans their phone in order to enter the store. In the video, it was just a basic turnstile but anyone can just go past it.

2) If you have two people standing really close to each other, how do they know which phone to apply the item to?

3) What about items with age restriction such as cigarettes and alcohol?

4) What happens when someone decides they don't want an item, and they don't put the item in the exact place from which they took it?

5) Can someone scam the system by bringing in old, expired product and replacing it with a new one?

6) How will they handle goods you pay by weight? For example, bananas.

Love this concept stuff. I mean, people are going to try to poke holes in it every which way, this is first gen, early adopter type stuff. I also love it because I personally like self checkout so this is just an even easier form of that.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Just saw this in my news feed today. I think, as a concept, it's pretty neat and I welcome it entirely. But I think they have a couple of things they have to consider.

1) They'll have to ensure someone scans their phone in order to enter the store. In the video, it was just a basic turnstile but anyone can just go past it.

2) If you have two people standing really close to each other, how do they know which phone to apply the item to?

4) What happens when someone decides they don't want an item, and they don't put the item in the exact place from which they took it?

5) Can someone scam the system by bringing in old, expired product and replacing it with a new one?

Love this concept stuff. I mean, people are going to try to poke holes in it every which way, this is first gen, early adopter type stuff. I also love it because I personally like self checkout so this is just an even easier form of that.

re: 3) It's illegal in California since 2013 to sell alcohol in self-checkout lines. Some other states are following along. They'll have to come up with some method of actual human interaction. Probably an age check lane.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

re: 3) It's illegal in California since 2013 to sell alcohol in self-checkout lines. Some other states are following along. They'll have to come up with some method of actual human interaction. Probably an age check lane.

Hmm, is it? I feel like I've seen it happen. Except, the item is flagged, the screen says you have to ask for assistance, and a person comes over and releases the item after verification. I don't feel like they've made people pack up all their stuff and head over to the conveyor belt line.

Maybe they'd handle it in a similar way.

By the way, you know what else they should make illegal? Paying by check. Haha. Damn old people! =P
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Big problem is how do you handle disputes/mistakes?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Considering it's Amazon, you'll likely just call a hotline to lodge a dispute, and they'll just take your word for it. Amazon has the most unbelievable dispute and returns policy that's ever existed for a large corporation ever. I order from Amazon religiously, and I keep a few shelves of goodies that Amazon has gifted to me when they've screwed up a delivery. Things I don't have any use for, but that some friend along the way might find useful. Generally, when you have a disputed item with Amazon, they just tell you to keep whatever it was they misdelivered and then they send you what you actually ordered right away. You can tell them that it's no problem to return the misdelivered item, and they still tell you to just keep it.

Most recent addition to my 'shelves' is a $350 helmet. I ordered a spare helmet to carry on the motorcycle for riders. That helmet retailed @ $110. The sent the wrong helmet (that had been mislabeled at their distribution center) and it retailed @ $350. When apprised of their mistake, they sent me the correct helmet via 2 day Prime and told me to keep the nicer helmet - no charge. I've got about a dozen or so items still sitting on the shelves that were also comped by Amazon. They're amazing...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Hmm, is it? I feel like I've seen it happen. Except, the item is flagged, the screen says you have to ask for assistance, and a person comes over and releases the item after verification. I don't feel like they've made people pack up all their stuff and head over to the conveyor belt line.

By the way, you know what else they should make illegal? Paying by check. Haha. Damn old people! =P

That's how it used to be, but the new law prohibits alcohol to be purchased through self-checkout lanes, period. I can't recall ever going to a self checkout section now without there being a sign saying that alcohol can't be purchased through there.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Considering it's Amazon, you'll likely just call a hotline to lodge a dispute, and they'll just take your word for it. Amazon has the most unbelievable dispute and returns policy that's ever existed for a large corporation ever. I order from Amazon religiously, and I keep a few shelves of goodies that Amazon has gifted to me when they've screwed up a delivery. Things I don't have any use for, but that some friend along the way might find useful. Generally, when you have a disputed item with Amazon, they just tell you to keep whatever it was they misdelivered and then they send you what you actually ordered right away. You can tell them that it's no problem to return the misdelivered item, and they still tell you to just keep it.

Most recent addition to my 'shelves' is a $350 helmet. I ordered a spare helmet to carry on the motorcycle for riders. That helmet retailed @ $110. The sent the wrong helmet (that had been mislabeled at their distribution center) and it retailed @ $350. When apprised of their mistake, they sent me the correct helmet via 2 day Prime and told me to keep the nicer helmet - no charge. I've got about a dozen or so items still sitting on the shelves that were also comped by Amazon. They're amazing...

LOL, what size is the helmet?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That's how it used to be, but the new law prohibits alcohol to be purchased through self-checkout lanes, period. I can't recall ever going to a self checkout section now without there being a sign saying that alcohol can't be purchased through there.

Oh. Truthfully, I don't really drink anymore so it's been a while since I've bought the stuff.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

LOL, what size is the helmet?

XXXL, for my gargantuan Alien noggin.

I've also got a stereo headset that plugs into a specific set of models of Harley Davidson stock radios, that they mis-sent on the same order. I was supposed to receive a $10 neoprene chin guard for that spare helmet, and they sent the $80 headset instead. Same deal as before; the label on the back of the headset box was indeed for the chin guard I ordered. It had just been misapplied to the wrong product. So now that headset, that's useless to me, sits on my 'shelves'.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I heard a guy talking about this a few years ago at SXSW, but it was using RFID.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Just a philosophical note, but I think the world becomes a worse place the more we isolate ourselves from each other.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Just a philosophical note, but I think the world becomes a worse place the more we isolate ourselves from each other.

I agree, but this is actually a brick-and-mortar store right? It's rare that I engage much with a cashier anyway.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Without question I agree with this

Vid of Amazon Go if anyone is more curious
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I heard a guy talking about this a few years ago at SXSW, but it was using RFID.

The RFID systems work well for 'single' item purchases, like Toll roads and the like. But they tend to not handle multiple item purchases very well.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I agree, but this is actually a brick-and-mortar store right? It's rare that I engage much with a cashier anyway.

To be quite honest, the grocery store is one those places where I want MORE isolation. Can't stand these shoppers who bring their dogs in the store under the loose guidelines of "service animals" or the ones who walk around the whole time on their cellphones.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Depends on 1) accuracy and 2) Data use.

Also, I would want some sort of total that I would acknowledge before I walk out of the store.

I agree - some kind of screen that shows what you bought as you leave the store would be nice...Although, as was shown in the commercial, you can just open up the app on your phone as you leave, and see what they charged you for.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: