Lebron Upset at Phil Jackson Over "Posse" Comment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It wasn’t the first time Jackson referred to James and his friends as a “posse.”

“In the Cleveland game, I was impressed with LeBron James, who has made strides since we played the Cavs during the exhibition season,” Jackson wrote in his 2004 book, “The Last Season.” “Yet as talented as this kid definitely appears to be, I don’t believe he or any nineteen-year-old should be playing in the NBA. These young men grow so dependent on their posses, who fetch their cars and their girls, that they can’t possibly develop into mature self-sufficient human beings. One day, I’m convinced, we’ll find out the true extent of the psychological damage that’s being caused.”

He wasn't actually talking specifically about Lebron in that sentence. He was speaking on the general existence of young athletes who have a lot of friends friend from their childhood hanging around them. Quite frankly, that's who make up Lebron's business team. Of course they're more than just his "hangers on" now, but there seems to have been a growing period there all the way up until he was on the Heat.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:
It wasn’t the first time Jackson referred to James and his friends as a “posse.”

“In the Cleveland game, I was impressed with LeBron James, who has made strides since we played the Cavs during the exhibition season,” Jackson wrote in his 2004 book, “The Last Season.” “Yet as talented as this kid definitely appears to be, I don’t believe he or any nineteen-year-old should be playing in the NBA. These young men grow so dependent on their posses, who fetch their cars and their girls, that they can’t possibly develop into mature self-sufficient human beings. One day, I’m convinced, we’ll find out the true extent of the psychological damage that’s being caused.”

He wasn't actually talking specifically about Lebron in that sentence. He was speaking on the general existence of young athletes who have a lot of friends friend from their childhood hanging around them. Quite frankly, that's who make up Lebron's business team. Of course they're more than just his "hangers on" now, but there seems to have been a growing period there all the way up until he was on the Heat.

Phil Jackson is old.
He used an antiquated phrase from the days of Sir-Mix-A-Lot.
I can understand LeBron's ire with that label of his business associates, and I think he is correct that 'posse' wouldn't be used if he and his friends were white, but I don't think Phil meant any ill will.
He's just old.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Phil Jackson is old.
I can understand LeBron's ire with that label of his business associates, and I think he is correct that 'posse' wouldn't be used if he and his friends were white, but I don't think Phil meant any ill will.
He's just old.

Posse's on Broadway is still a damn good song.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject:

Phil's a dick
Lebron's a dick

Just two dicks with giant egos clashing.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

i can't believe ledouche did 2 things:

1) claim racial ownership over the word posse

2) perform #1 in order to pull the race card on PJax.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Phil Jackson is old.
He's just old.

If the story is true that the instance Phil brought up was when the team had a day off on Thanksgiving after playing in Cleveland the night before and LeBron hosted thanksgiving for the whole team at his house, Phil is way out of line.

He made it sound like everyone was sitting in the plane ready to takeoff and then LeBron stood them up to party with his friends instead. I don't know why Phil is even gossiping about some second or third hand story he may have heard directly or indirectly from Riley. It doesn't seem like its any of his business.

Can't defend this one. If LeBron is supposed to accept people taking this way about him and not get offended, then Phil shouldn't be offended by being labeled a racist.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Phil Jackson is old.
He's just old.

Posse's on Broadway is still a damn good song.

Still the jam.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:

I am not sure how much race has to do with it and how much the idea that Lebron's friends are "hanging on" does. Maverick Carter has pursued every avenue he could to develop his business acumen, taking advice from Bill Gates and Warren Buffet. He has developed himself into a solid business man running a billion dollar corporation. I think Lebron was offended by the idea that Phil referred to him as a guy who is just a yes man.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/06/phil-jackson-discusses-posse-comment-about-lebron-doesnt-apologize/

Quote:
Phil Jackson discusses “posse” comment about LeBron, doesn’t apologize

It all started when Phil Jackson referred to LeBron James‘ business partners as his “posse.” LeBron’s friend and business manager Maverick Carter — the guy who orchestrated a billion dollar Nike deal and more — took offense to that comment, as did people such as Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony. It created a mini-storm about the implications of the word (many African-Americans saw it as derogatory), a debate which Jackson chose not to enter.

Until now. Sort of.

In an interview with Lisa Leslie on CBS Sports’ “We Need to Talk” Jackson gave a round about answer to whether he would like to take the use of that word back (hat tip James Herbert of CBS).

“That’s a topic I’m not going to discuss because, one, we’re not supposed to discuss other team’s players in this position that I have here,” Jackson said. “So I violated one of the tenets of our thing. And the obvious thing is, the word itself carries connotation. And I just don’t understand that part of it, the word. So I guess word choice could be something I could regret. But yeah, talking about other teams players, that’s out of the box….

“No, it’s water under the bridge,” Jackson said. “I don’t think there was anybody hurt or harmed in this situation. I think LeBron’s friend obviously had an issue with it. So we just let it go. It’s not enough to talk about it.”

Now he pulls out the “I can’t talk about other players” card? Gene Kelly is impressed with Jackson’s tap dancing on that one.

To be clear, “I guess word choice could be something I could regret” is not an apology. Again, reference Gene Kelly. I’d say it would be easy for Jackson to just say the words here and apologize, but he can be Trumpian that way.

“It’s not enough to talk about?” That would be your opinion, clearly LeBron — who said he lost respect for Jackson — Anthony and others disagree.

It’s all kind of moot now — it’s not like LeBron was going to be a Knick anyway — but the debate seemed to raise awareness about use of the word.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I might be wrong about this, but I'm wondering if Phil's beef in this whole issue is that Lebron's business partners are also his close friends who he parties with. I know Maverick Carter has paid his dues and is well qualified to run Lebron's business machine, but we also know that Phil is old school. He's a product of the 60s/early 70s, when businessmen, especially celebrities probably didn't self-promote and did a better job of keeping business in its place and pleasure/friendships in a separate place.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:

Ehh... Its more about Phil's display of disrespect towards LeBron's business partners who happen to be his hometown friends. It's a word that discredits them and in a way says they are not deserving of the success that they have. I would have taken issue with it, too.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Ehh... Its more about Phil's display of disrespect towards LeBron's business partners who happen to be his hometown friends. It's a word that discredits them and in a way says they are not deserving of the success that they have. I would have taken issue with it, too.

And that I would understand if he and his friends didn't drag race into it.

Phil was condescending and dismissive but I didn't see race being behind it. Just Phil thinking LeBron's friends are like all the other hangers on he's seen through the years and not anything more than that.

He's said far worse about MJ and Kobe and nobody ever brings up that being racist(and its probably because they never made it a racial issue)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/13/jay-z-takes-dig-at-phil-jackson-while-presenting-lebron-james-sports-illustrated-award/

Quote:
Jay-Z takes dig at Phil Jackson while presenting LeBron James

LeBron James is Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year.

That means more than just ending up on the cover of the magazine, there is an awards ceremony. It took place Tuesday night in New York, and Jay Z was there to present LeBron with the award. In the process, Jay Z decided to take a shot at Phil Jackson over the “posse” comments demeaning LeBron’s business partners.

“He’s a dedicated family man who married his high school sweetheart Savannah. Has three lovely children. He’s the son who honors and worships his mother Gloria. The friend who put his “posse” in position. We do understand where we come from. The only difference between us and someone who has their MBA from Wharton or Sloan or Berkley or Stanford is opportunity. LeBron James has provides his friends with that opportunity and as we’ve witness their development. And if you look up at the scoreboard, very few businessmen are better than Maverick Carter, Rich Paul, Randy Mims and all the rest of the posse behind the scenes that make it look like they’re just sticking out.”

“LeBron James has made all of those around him better on and off the court. We acknowledge and recognize all he has done for the game. But, tonight we say thank you. Not just for your commitment to basketball, but for all you’ve done for the community. And thank you for how you’ve enriched the lives of all those around you. We messed around and got a triple-double in real life.”

LeBron nodded and laughed throughout those comments.

Consider this the latest sign — along with Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, and others coming to LeBron’s defense on this issue — about how seriously the community took Phil’s comments dismissing the men who helped build LeBron’s impressive business empire.

Jackson never apologized for the comment, which he either didn’t see as insensitive and insulting, or he didn’t care. Either way, comments like that — and the pointless dig at Anthony holding the ball too long recently — show Jackson as old and out of touch with today’s player. Which is going to be an issue if part of your job is to recruit today’s superstars to come play for your team.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

more crying and whining from a libtard, typical. but hey, he's lucky to have an arbitrary skill that's actually valued. without that, not much separates him from those at the bottom of the totem pole.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: