Official 2016 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Gotta think that McCoy probably gets the ax after this many come-from-ahead losses.

Something else I was thinking, as I watched that debacle of a Monday night game: I have no idea why the Jets didn't trade Brandon Marshall at the deadline. What is the point of keeping him on the roster? Their team obviously needs a rebuild, and they aren't going to be good for the next couple of years, at least. He's still talented, but he's pricey and he's aging. It's clear he isn't fully engaged, also. I hate how the NFL has so few trades. It would have made all the sense in the world for the Jets to trade him and accept whatever they could have in the deal. It also would have made sense for a WR-needy team with playoff aspirations to give up something for him. I think of Arizona, a team in win-now mode who had no one else step up after Fitzgerald on the outside this season, something that has really affected their offense this season. (And with Floyd a free agent at season's end, it would have even been a smart add for next season.) I think of Tampa Bay, who lost Vincent Jackson and who could use someone opposite Mike Evans to take the pressure off him. (Cameron Brate is currently their #2 target in the passing game.) I think of the Giants, who could use a true outside, big-bodied perimeter threat. I think of the Bills, who went most of this season without Watkins and who have played games this season with Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin as their #1 pass game options. (I suppose the Bills have given away some draft picks recently, but still.)

I'm sure there are a lot of other examples of teams going nowhere that have vets that could be useful to other teams, but that one stuck out since the Jets were playing last night. (You could probably add Wilkerson to that mix, too.)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

The Jets problems start at the top: Woody Johnson, the presumptive Trump pick for ambassador to the United Kingdom.

The Jets were just too greedy at the trade deadline. They reportedly were in talks with Dallas as the Cowboys needed a pass rusher and Sheldon Richardson had impressed the Jets with his poor attitude and poor field performance. For some reason the Jets kept playing hardball, demanding a first round pick for the underperforming malcontent. Now I have to wonder whether they'll bite the bullet just release Richardson, as they barely played him during MNF.

The rest of the team should have been shopped too. They're just too damn old, and too incompetent to address the future.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The Jets problems start at the top: Woody Johnson, the presumptive Trump pick for ambassador to the United Kingdom.

The Jets were just too greedy at the trade deadline. They reportedly were in talks with Dallas as the Cowboys needed a pass rusher and Sheldon Richardson had impressed the Jets with his poor attitude and poor field performance. For some reason the Jets kept playing hardball, demanding a first round pick for the underperforming malcontent. Now I have to wonder whether they'll bite the bullet just release Richardson, as they barely played him during MNF.

The rest of the team should have been shopped too. They're just too damn old, and too incompetent to address the future.

Yeah, it's always struck me as so strange that more teams don't offload veteran players if they are going down the tubes. You almost never see NFL trades, particularly big-name players.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/06/espn-avoids-ratings-disaster-on-monday-night/

Quote:

ESPN avoids ratings disaster on Monday night

The bad news is that the ratings for Monday night’s Colts-Jets game were really bad. The good news is they could have been worse.

Not much worse, but worse.

Via SportsBusiness Daily, the 6.0 overnight rating narrowly beat the all-time low from late September, when a game between the Falcons and Saints that went against a presidential debate generated a 5.7 rating.

It was still the lowest Monday Night Football, and it reflected a 40-percent reduction from Cowboys-Washington a year ago in Week 13.

That should change next week, when the Patriots host the Ravens. Also, the final MNF game of the year, in Week 16, features the Cowboys hosting the Lions.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Yeah, it's always struck me as so strange that more teams don't offload veteran players if they are going down the tubes. You almost never see NFL trades, particularly big-name players.

And when you do, it's almost always because of a contract dispute or something like that.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/08/report-patriots-signing-griff-whalen/

Quote:
Report: Patriots signing Griff Whalen

Patriots wide receiver Danny Amendola is out with a high-ankle sprain and the hope is that he’ll be well enough to rejoin the team for the postseason, but his absence at present may have spurred a roster move on Thursday.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is signing wide receiver Griff Whalen after he worked out for the team. According to a report from ESPN, former Packers wideout Jared Abbrederis also worked out.

Whalen caught two passes in eight appearances for the Chargers earlier this season. He spent the previous three years with the Colts and caught 45 passes, although Patriots fans may remember him best for his role on the snapper on the Colts’ ill-fated swinging gate fake punt from last season.

Julian Edelman, Malcolm Mitchell and Chris Hogan are the healthy Patriots wideouts at the moment with both Edelman and Hogan absent from the injury report this week after making frequent appearances over the course of the season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Chargers-Move-to-Los-Angeles-Almost-a-Done-Deal-405520466.html
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Why the hell didn't the Raiders run on 3rd and 1? They had two minutes to work.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm not even a Raiders fan, but that was really puzzling. Best case scenario, they get a TD & 2-pt conversion, and you give KC time to attempt to get into FG range.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Feels like the Raiders have been playing down to their competition the last couple of weeks and they couldn't make a 2nd half comeback this time.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Why the hell didn't the Raiders run on 3rd and 1? They had two minutes to work.

I think they were trying to surprise them and they figured that if they couldn't complete the throw, they'd still only need 1 yard to get the first down. the penalty completely screwed that up.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Feels like the Raiders have been playing down to their competition the last couple of weeks and they couldn't make a 2nd half comeback this time.

I disagree, at least for this game. it was painfully obvious that Carr's finger was really affecting him. the defense really stepped it up in the 2nd half, allowing 0 points. the running game really had it going in the 2nd half, as well. the only facet that was missing was the passing game and not from a lack of opportunity. Carr just couldn't hit his spots. Hell, he couldn't even throw accurate 3-yard check downs. If his finger wasn't injured, I think the Raiders win.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

Everything was going against the Raiders in this one coming in, so much so that they couldn't even win despite a +3 turnover margin. A short week on the road is always a disadvantage. Now add in a warm weather team playing in frigid temperatures. Now add in Carr's finger injury in frigid weather. Now add in the absence of LG Osemele. It was always going to be uphill for them to win this week.

That said, I agree that the 3rd and 1 call to not run it was bad. You shouldn't just assume that you can run it for a yard on 4th and 1, when the defense is likely to really key in on the run. They should have ran it on 3rd and 1, when the D still is a little more likely to at least respect the possibility of a pass.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject:

I had a strong feeling that Carr was going to have an awful game. I don't know about his college career, but I wasn't aware of him ever playing in sub-freezing temps as a pro. It takes time to adjust for both the QB and receivers, which was obvious to the naked eye when the Oakland receivers bobbled some pretty easy, on target passes early in the game.

For the Raider fans out there, you better hope that you win the AFC West, and regain home field advantage. You don't want your team playing in Foxboro or one of the other cold climes in January.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

For remaining strength of schedule, Oakland has the easiest path, followed by Kansas City. Denver looks like an underdog in each of their last four games, though I see them winning two of the four and making it to the playoffs. I expect KC to win the division as they have the tie-breaker advantage over Oakland. Both Oakland and Denver will be wild card teams.

Pittsburgh will probably win the AFC North, their remaining schedule is easier than Baltimore's. The pivotal game (Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore) will be played in Pittsburgh on Christmas day. Pittsburgh will win that game.

Houston will probably win the dumpster fire known as the AFC South.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I disagree, at least for this game. it was painfully obvious that Carr's finger was really affecting him. the defense really stepped it up in the 2nd half, allowing 0 points. the running game really had it going in the 2nd half, as well. the only facet that was missing was the passing game and not from a lack of opportunity. Carr just couldn't hit his spots. Hell, he couldn't even throw accurate 3-yard check downs. If his finger wasn't injured, I think the Raiders win.

Agree. Carr just had an awful game and really do think his finger affected it. Some of the throws he was missing were just bad. The long ball to Cooper is a touchdown 99% of the time.

That, along with our own self-destruction really did us in.

We had a great punt negated by an illegal formation only to have the re-kick brought back for 6.

4th and 1 turned into 4th and 6 at the end due to a false start etc.

But given all that, we were right there and had our chances. Defense really stepped it up for once. Too bad our offense was missing in action when it counted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Colts are playing their best game of the season

The Jets are complete garbage though

Jests overachieved last year. Of course, it didn't help that they have nothing at LT, lost key pieces at WR and NT to injury and FA, and Revis Island is quickly sinking. It's not looking good for them. All their QB's suck with Fitzpatrick only one you can label sub-par, Brandon Marshal is aging, their once bountiful CB crew is diminished, the OL is in a funk without Ferguson, and their DL is crumbling.

The Jets have offensive talent, they need a competent OC. They fired theirs early in the season and replaced him with someone who was worse.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Gotta think that McCoy probably gets the ax after this many come-from-ahead losses.

Something else I was thinking, as I watched that debacle of a Monday night game: I have no idea why the Jets didn't trade Brandon Marshall at the deadline. What is the point of keeping him on the roster? Their team obviously needs a rebuild, and they aren't going to be good for the next couple of years, at least. He's still talented, but he's pricey and he's aging. It's clear he isn't fully engaged, also. I hate how the NFL has so few trades. It would have made all the sense in the world for the Jets to trade him and accept whatever they could have in the deal. It also would have made sense for a WR-needy team with playoff aspirations to give up something for him. I think of Arizona, a team in win-now mode who had no one else step up after Fitzgerald on the outside this season, something that has really affected their offense this season. (And with Floyd a free agent at season's end, it would have even been a smart add for next season.) I think of Tampa Bay, who lost Vincent Jackson and who could use someone opposite Mike Evans to take the pressure off him. (Cameron Brate is currently their #2 target in the passing game.) I think of the Giants, who could use a true outside, big-bodied perimeter threat. I think of the Bills, who went most of this season without Watkins and who have played games this season with Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin as their #1 pass game options. (I suppose the Bills have given away some draft picks recently, but still.)

I'm sure there are a lot of other examples of teams going nowhere that have vets that could be useful to other teams, but that one stuck out since the Jets were playing last night. (You could probably add Wilkerson to that mix, too.)

I am not a big time Chargers fan, but I like the way McCoy coaches. I think the Chargers problems go deeper, I think they took a big step backward when they dumped Brees for Rivers. I said at the time, Rivers in no kind of winner. He will get you close, blow it, and then blame others. Meanwhile Brees was the consummate team player. That being said, if McCoy is fired and I owned another NFL team, I would be very interested.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I had a strong feeling that Carr was going to have an awful game. I don't know about his college career, but I wasn't aware of him ever playing in sub-freezing temps as a pro. It takes time to adjust for both the QB and receivers, which was obvious to the naked eye when the Oakland receivers bobbled some pretty easy, on target passes early in the game.

For the Raider fans out there, you better hope that you win the AFC West, and regain home field advantage. You don't want your team playing in Foxboro or one of the other cold climes in January.

The weather makes a difference, I have played when it was 20 degrees, it really sucks.
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Agree. Carr just had an awful game and really do think his finger affected it. Some of the throws he was missing were just bad. The long ball to Cooper is a touchdown 99% of the time.

That, along with our own self-destruction really did us in.

We had a great punt negated by an illegal formation only to have the re-kick brought back for 6.

4th and 1 turned into 4th and 6 at the end due to a false start etc.

But given all that, we were right there and had our chances. Defense really stepped it up for once. Too bad our offense was missing in action when it counted.

There's a question whether that ball hit one of the wires on the aerial cameras. It makes a lot of sense because Cooper was tracking the ball the whole way, then kind of jerked at the last second with the ball dropping a foot or two to his left. Cooper said after the game that the ball changed direction in the air.

If it did hit the wire, that's complete and utter bullsh*t. That would have given the Raiders a chance to tie with a 2-point conversion.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Jests overachieved last year. Of course, it didn't help that they have nothing at LT, lost key pieces at WR and NT to injury and FA, and Revis Island is quickly sinking. It's not looking good for them. All their QB's suck with Fitzpatrick only one you can label sub-par, Brandon Marshal is aging, their once bountiful CB crew is diminished, the OL is in a funk without Ferguson, and their DL is crumbling.

The Jets have offensive talent, they need a competent OC. They fired theirs early in the season and replaced him with someone who was worse.

They need to get younger. Start over. They no legit promising young talent. Not even any players they can out put out there in a lost season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I am not a big time Chargers fan, but I like the way McCoy coaches. I think the Chargers problems go deeper, I think they took a big step backward when they dumped Brees for Rivers. I said at the time, Rivers in no kind of winner. He will get you close, blow it, and then blame others. Meanwhile Brees was the consummate team player. That being said, if McCoy is fired and I owned another NFL team, I would be very interested.

They haven't made the playoffs in a number of years, and unless your name is Jeff Fisher, that gets you fired. Perhaps the Jaguars would have interest in McCoy. Although I could see their owner trying to make a splashier hire.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

That would've been so weird to watch if it ever happened.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/10/aikman-again-details-the-time-he-almost-became-an-eagle/

Quote:

Aikman again details the time he almost became an Eagle

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 10, 2016, 7:02 AM EST
2012 NFL Honors - Arrivals
Getty Images
Hall of Fame former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman again drew the interest of NFL fans this week when he detailed the time he considered — for a day — an offer to come out of retirement and play for the Eagles.

Although Aikman has told the story before, his comments this week suggested that he was more seriously considering the offer during the 2002 season than he has previously let on.

“I retired, got into broadcasting. Then it was two years later when I got a call from Andy Reid in the middle of a game that I was broadcasting after Donovan McNabb had broken his leg,” Aikman said, via the Dallas Morning News. “He wanted me to sign with Philadelphia and come out of retirement right then and go to work for them. And I gave it some consideration – actually I told Andy I was going to sleep on it and call him in the morning. I called my producer at FOX and asked him what he thought my career was long-term in television. Then I called [former Cowboys offensive coordinator] Norv Turner and talked to him about it from the football perspective. And I woke up the next morning and I just thought, ‘Man, is this something I really want to do?’ And I decided against it. So I called Andy and said, ‘Look. I appreciate the interest, but I’m going to stay put and best of luck.’ And they ended up going on and having success with A.J. Feely. And ultimately they made it to the NFC Championship Game that year.”

The Cowboys actually released Aikman before he retired, so there was nothing contractual stopping him from signing with any team thereafter. But Aikman was 36 years old, hadn’t played in two years, and hadn’t played very well the last year he did play. It’s highly unlikely the Eagles would have been as good with a rusty, old Aikman at the helm as they were with Feely, a backup who helped the Eagles go 4-1 in the five games he started that season. Aikman did Reid a favor by turning him down.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The weather makes a difference, I have played when it was 20 degrees, it really sucks.

I don't think the average fan realizes what a difference cold can make in a game. It isn't as bad as wind, but it certainly impacts the game....the Raiders looked nowhere near as explosive as they do typically because they were cold and numb.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

They need to get younger. Start over. They no legit promising young talent. Not even any players they can out put out there in a lost season.

I like that they are showcasing Petty the remainder of the season. Guy has a cannon but we will see if he has the intelligence to succeed. As for the offense, bring in one of the better receiving RBs in Forte, and then sit him on passing downs? Flat out stupid.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 53 of 105
Jump to: