OFFICIAL TIMOFEY MOZGOV THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
we turned it around when mozzy got angry

The Red Hulk.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject:

I love that nickname for him "Red Hulk" kind of fits a bit. I like the intensity that he brings and seems like a tough guy out there, especially battling Dwight.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Is averaging under 5 boards required for being a hulk?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:
Is averaging under 5 boards required for being a hulk?

When I did not see him play every game I always questioned his low rebounding numbers considering his size. But now that I see him everyday I do see how he often boxes out and lets the rebound go to another teammate. His rebounding numbers are still low for such a big guy, but he does loose out on some of his stats by playing great team ball.

I can see why Luke wanted him.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

He's doing a great job on helping us board. The stats aren't reflective but we're a decent rebounding team because of it. Most nights when we when the boards we win the game.

We're ranked 13th which is a whole lot better than last year at the lower 20 Something tier.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

2 horrible games in a row.
JH from Hemet
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Who does he have getting him the ball exactly?

Its basketball....you know he has to have quality guard distribution play in the NBA right?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

I didn't see all of the post game stuff, any mention of Mozgov's shoulder?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

JH from Hemet wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Its basketball....you know he has to have quality guard distribution play in the NBA right?

Centers suffer from this 'distributor PG is an archaic concept' mantra because they need someone with the expertise to put them in condition to score. Not a good idea putting players like Mozgov and Deng on the floor without a legit playmaker.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
JH from Hemet wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Centers suffer from this 'distributor PG is an archaic concept' mantra because they need someone with the expertise to put them in condition to score. Not a good idea putting players like Mozgov and Deng on the floor without a legit playmaker.

Consider you don't think Russell is a distributor PG and Moz has suffered noticeably with Russell out... I wonder what point you are trying to make.

Mozgov without Russell: 1.07 ppp, 16.7% USG%, 56.7% TS%
Mozgov with Russell: 1.17 ppp, 17.5% USG%, 65.9% TS%
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Consider you don't think Russell is a distributor PG and Moz has suffered noticeably with Russell out... I wonder what point you are trying to make.

At this point Russell has a somewhat poor AST/TO ratio, but he is doing a decent job sharing the ball just like Lou. Being an offensive thread also opens a lot space for players like Mozgov and Julius operate. Huertas may be a distributor, but he is not an offensive thread and most defenders will sag of him while Calderon is a spot up shooter that is unable to create offense for himself or for others at this point of his career. Russell impact is not just about how many assists he gets, but the way he makes defenses gravitate toward him when he is hot and the dynamics he provides to the game. Dlo subs are 3rd stringers they just can't provide the same kind of impact.

Some stats /36

Dlo 6.5 AST 4.0 TO 21.6 PTS
Calderon 6.6 AST 4.1 TO 12.2 PTS
Derek Fisher (2nd season) 6.8 AST 2.4 TO 9.7 PTS

None can be really called a distributor (Huertas 9.9 AST 2.9 TO), but Dlo is a decent scorer, Derek Fisher was able to take care of the ball and Calderon at this point is just a 3rd stringer that can't distribute at a high clip, can't take care of the ball and can't score.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
tox wrote:

At this point Russell has a somewhat poor AST/TO ratio, but he is doing a decent job sharing the ball just like Lou. Being an offensive thread also opens a lot space for players like Mozgov and Julius operate. Huertas may be a distributor, but he is not an offensive thread and most defenders will sag of him while Calderon is a spot up shooter that is unable to create offense for himself or for others at this point of his career. Russell impact is not just about how many assists he gets, but the way he makes defenses gravitate toward him when he is hot and the dynamics he provides to the game. Dlo subs are 3rd stringers they just can't provide the same kind of impact.

Some stats /36

Dlo 6.5 AST 4.0 TO 21.6 PTS
Calderon 6.6 AST 4.1 TO 12.2 PTS
Derek Fisher (2nd season) 6.8 AST 2.4 TO 9.7 PTS

None can be really called a distributor (Huertas 9.9 AST 2.9 TO), but Dlo is a decent scorer, Derek Fisher was able to take care of the ball and Calderon at this point is just a 3rd stringer that can't distribute at a high clip, can't take care of the ball and can't score.

I don't care about any of that.

Your claim was:

Quote:
Centers suffer from this 'distributor PG is an archaic concept' mantra

My point was Russell is not a distributor by your own logic, yet it's obvious how reliant Mozgov is on him giving him looks (for the very reasons you stated). So how is Mozgov suffering from "this 'distributor PG is an archaic concept' manta", exactly? Clearly he was doing perfectly fine with a non-distributor PG at the 1.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

This guy is warming the bench way to much for a guy making 64M.. don't care if he has fatigue issues, lack of size in the paint gave Phoenix lay up drills in the 4th quarter cause we refused to give the guy we payed 64M any minutes in the 4th.. I thought the tank was gone but that's a perfect tank move if I have ever seen 1.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Mozgov's form - or lack of it - is very concerning at this stage of the season.

I was encouraged that Mozgov could be good for the Lakers and perhaps give us 8-10, 6-8 with 1.5 assists and 1.5 blocks at about 25-26 mins per game

So far, his scoring is about right and he's giving 1 assist per game, but his rebounding numbers and blocks are way down. he's also only out there for 21 minutes. Something has to give, he REALLY needs to lift
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject:

He continues to warm the bench in the 4th if this is gonna be a trend.. I hope we go after Cousins or Noel/Okafor... if Mozgov can't play during crunch time then we need another reliable C who can.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
He continues to warm the bench in the 4th if this is gonna be a trend.. I hope we go after Cousins or Noel/Okafor... if Mozgov can't play during crunch time then we need another reliable C who can.

I was very willing to give Mozgov time and a chance, but he's quickly losing me. I'm onboard with all/any of those guys you mention. DMC is THE best C in the league right now IMHO, however, he would be costly (ie. perhaps Russel, Randle, etc) in trade and does have chemistry issues. Of the other two, I actually think Oakfor is starting to turn the corner...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I was very willing to give Mozgov time and a chance, but he's quickly losing me. I'm onboard with all/any of those guys you mention. DMC is THE best C in the league right now IMHO, however, he would be costly (ie. perhaps Russel, Randle, etc) in trade and does have chemistry issues. Of the other two, I actually think Oakfor is starting to turn the corner...

Moz has actually done a great job especially when you look at his stats in minutes per, the problem is that if we are gonna treat Mozgov like a back up C then we need to find a C who can give him a lesser role.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Moz has actually done a great job especially when you look at his stats in minutes per, the problem is that if we are gonna treat Mozgov like a back up C then we need to find a C who can give him a lesser role.

No, I agree. At the moment though his minutes and contribution is more that of a backup C yes. That can't really fly if he's getting paid that much AND not contributing down the stretch. Even if Luke prefers a different lineup down the stretch, Moz has to perform in a way that demands Luke play him more
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I concur with your post.

I have no problem with Moz's play, I'm just upset that our best C isn't on the floor when the game is on the line.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I concur with your post.

I have no problem with Moz's play, I'm just upset that our best C isn't on the floor when the game is on the line.

Yep. I actually am a proponent of Mozgove getting more shot attempts AND being in there in the 4th Q. I think the lakers should try to go inside more to Randle, Mozgov and even Black/Nance in the pick and roll. But - and not a criticism as such, more of an observation - Luke seems determined to replicate GSW ball and play predominantly from the outside. I'm really not sure if its working or going to long-term with this group.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Something positive about Mozgov, his midrange jumper has been great. Last time I checked he was like 17/34 from 14-24 feet.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject:

He's trying to find the offensive rhythm and flow right now. Needs to be more aware on the court. Losing a lot of possible plays because he's just not ready or looking for a pass. Not going to get on him for tonight's game. It was a weird flowing game, lots of erratic shots. Our defense was non-existent to chickens with their heads cut off scramble. Just a mess. Can't pin that all on Mozzy trying to hold Cousins and Koufos down. He needs help from the rest of the front court and back court in games like this.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject:

He did a great job in the 1st half against Cousins. Got killed in the 3rd. Moz struggles too much in the perimeter to guard Cousins. Even when he sits back he has a hard time containing guys on the perimeter (including Cousins). I feel like whenever he defends in space, his man gets by him for a layup.

Of course, Boogie is obviously a unique center to play against.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject:

I felt the King that really disrupted our defense and caused a lot of confusion was Casspi. His constant cutting and movement really destroyed any kind of defense we were trying establish. The 3pt shooting and hot shooting from the Kings just furthered the panic and we got that crazy disarray of an effort in the 3rd. Koufos was also killing us inside too. I think on the night the Kings had some wild advantage in the paint vs. us. A lot of it was from movement off ball and just ball movement in general that shook our defense highlighting miscommunication issues all over the court.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/9/page/2

mosgov is currently dead last among centers in RPM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 37 of 73
Jump to: