Spider Man: Homecoming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Tobey was pretty good but he has the benefit of being the first. The way this new kid delivers lines and how they portray Spiderman/Peter Parker is the way Spiderman was originally characterized imo. He's much more juvenile and awkward. OG Spidey was making joking cracks in battle before Deadpool was even a figment in Rob Liefelds' mind.

Yep. The way Marvel portrays the Tony Stark Iron Man character is more in line with the Peter Parker Spider-Man. Tony in the comics was never the charismatic smart ass that RDJ brilliantly portrays him from what I remember.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Tobey was pretty good but he has the benefit of being the first. The way this new kid delivers lines and how they portray Spiderman/Peter Parker is the way Spiderman was originally characterized imo. He's much more juvenile and awkward. OG Spidey was making joking cracks in battle before Deadpool was even a figment in Rob Liefelds' mind.

Yep. The way Marvel portrays the Tony Stark Iron Man character is more in line with the Peter Parker Spider-Man. Tony in the comics was never the charismatic smart ass that RDJ brilliantly portrays him from what I remember.

It's actually remarkable what RDJ did with Tony Stark. As someone that collected from the early 80s...Iron Man was probably a C level comic/character at best. His popularity was WAY down there. The movies have really elevated him. The same thing is probably going to happen to Dr. Strange.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

It's actually remarkable what RDJ did with Tony Stark. As someone that collected from the early 80s...Iron Man was probably a C level comic/character at best. His popularity was WAY down there. The movies have really elevated him. The same thing is probably going to happen to Dr. Strange.

Wow., I never would have guessed that. His suit is sick as hell, and now ya, he's portrayed super cool and brilliantly. Props to RDJ. Also for resurrecting his career.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Wow., I never would have guessed that. His suit is sick as hell, and now ya, he's portrayed super cool and brilliantly. Props to RDJ. Also for resurrecting his career.

The first Iron Man was something else. I remember as a kid, I was enthralled with Spider Man as most youngsters were. Iron man just seemed so stiff and bland. But what a building block that character and film laid for the Marvel Universe. RDJ was the perfect choice. Always a talented actor, his is certainly some kind of comeback story. Where would they be without that film. Big ups have to go to Favreau too.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject:

When Iron Man was first announced, I was surprised that was the character Marvel was gonna have first for their movie studio since he wasn't the most well-known nor most interesting character that they had. Plus, coming off the initial Civil War storylines where he was portrayed more of a jerk, it just seemed out of place. But RDJ absolutely killed it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The first Iron Man was something else. I remember as a kid, I was enthralled with Spider Man as most youngsters were. Iron man just seemed so stiff and bland. But what a building block that character and film laid for the Marvel Universe. RDJ was the perfect choice. Always a talented actor, his is certainly some kind of comeback story. Where would they be without that film. Big ups have to go to Favreau too.

You and the rest of us from that era. Spiderman was by far their biggest comic for a long period. X-men via Wolverine would eventually be 2nd or 1a and those two franchises were ones EVERY Marvel fan collected. I'd wager that most of the X spin-offbooks sold better than Iron Man in the 80s. I really TRIED to like Iron man when I was a kid/teenager but no go. Bo-ring.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
When Iron Man was first announced, I was surprised that was the character Marvel was gonna have first for their movie studio since he wasn't the most well-known nor most interesting character that they had. Plus, coming off the initial Civil War storylines where he was portrayed more of a jerk, it just seemed out of place. But RDJ absolutely killed it.

No doubt. To be honest, the same could be said about the entire Avengers lineup. They have familiar names but boy were they the F team to the X-Men's A. Nobody collected any of those mfers. It was the legion of generic characters/caricatures. MCU has done it brilliantly by making the interactions between them full of funny quips and one liners. You see the same dynamic play out in the DC movie universe. They're all caricatures but they haven't been able to establish the level of chemistry the way MCU has. It's partially due to the fact that the flagships of DC came from a period where society was much more black and white so to speak...there was the good guy and the bad guy (the Golden Age, 1940s etc). Superman is the vanguard of this. Dude was as fast as the fastest DC character, strong as the strongest, had lasers for eyes and blew subzero breath all in the defense of "Truth, Justice and the American Way". Really? That's something my 6 year old nephew would write. The writers realized how overpowered he was so they came up with...um...er KRYPTONITE! So infantile. He's the flagship of the DC universe. Awesome .

Okay, guess my rant is over. I swear I could write a book on this lol.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject:

lmao why though? Looks reeeally dumb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

You and the rest of us from that era. Spiderman was by far their biggest comic for a long period. X-men via Wolverine would eventually be 2nd or 1a and those two franchises were ones EVERY Marvel fan collected. I'd wager that most of the X spin-offbooks sold better than Iron Man in the 80s. I really TRIED to like Iron man when I was a kid/teenager but no go. Bo-ring.

What you guys are stating is precisely why Marvel started their movie universe with Iron Man & their other C-list characters.

When Marvel was going bankrupt they had to sell the rights to their most popular characters Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic 4, etc to stay afloat. The high quality & continuity of the films has turned everything around. Now those characters have become A list. Including Guardians of the Galaxy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

A lot of rave reviews out there for this one, some have even placed it as their favorite Spidey movie of all time.

Tom Holland nailed it as high schooler Peter Parker, think the franchise will be in good hands going forward. Michael Keaton was memorable, there's always that part of him from his Pacific Heights role that turns up when you least expect it. Glad they have Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, she can do no wrong in my book, well except for that time when she received a script for a Mike Myers film not to be named.

Thought it was more enjoyable than the Andrew Garfield ones, but still have Spider-Man 2 (Tobey Maguire) edging this one out.

Might actually watch this again to catch all of the Easter eggs that may have been missed the first time around.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Web-pits!!!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Freaking loved it!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Easter eggs and spoilers:

Warning there are spoilers in this link:

Also, Easter eggs which may spoil other mcu movies:

Back out now.....

Link: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/homecoming/spoilers-spider-man-homecoming-10-amazing-easter-eggs-you-may-have-missed-a152220
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Headed to a MARVEL Live show on Sunday at Staples, then gonna watch the new Spidey. Going to be all Marvel'ed out by days end, but my kids are going to have a blast. (So will I) Hope this is as good as I'm hearing.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

It was fantastic.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Holland is the definitive Spider-Man and Peter Parker for me now. Amazing job all around. Loved seeing Donald Glover in the Prowler role, and hoping Miles Morales makes an appearance down the line.
JohnWick
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Very good movie. Michael Keaton absolutely killed it by far the best character in the movie. It's not as good as Civil War, Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, GoTG or Winter Soldier but definitely right up there with everything else MCU has done.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I liked it but still think Wonder Woman is the best blockbuster movie this summer.

The story was funny and the Captain America cameos cracked me up. The digital effects for Spider-Man action sequences were way better than the Tobey Maguire movies.

I don't like that Sony is okay with regular reboots of the Spider-Man franchise but won't re-use villains from other Spider-Man movies. As far as arch-villains go, the Vulture and the Shocker are pretty lame. Maybe Tom Holland's Spider-Man is just too young for some serious battles.
Jhin0821
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

JohnWick wrote:
Very good movie. Michael Keaton absolutely killed it by far the best character in the movie. It's not as good as Civil War, Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, GoTG or Winter Soldier but definitely right up there with everything else MCU has done.

I agree with everything you said except for Civil War. As far as best spider man movie, this is in a close race with Spider Man 2
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I liked Raimi's first two Spidermans better as movies. But Spider Homecoming is definitely the most faithful adaptation of the comic that we've seen so far. 8/10 for me.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

3/10

dialogue written by 1000 rhesus monkeys in a room full of typewriters

cgi is crap

forgettable
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Not a comic book person at all, so "canon" et al don't really matter at all to me. I just go for good old entertainment. Went to see "Homecoming" with the family this weekend.

To me, it was one of the more enjoyable super hero films of recent years (along with Wonder Woman). More of just a movie than some spectacular blow out of over-the-top effects and "we did it grander and longer than the last movie" type of one-ups-manship of super hero movies that have become the norm.

Can't speak to how it ranks for comic book-philes, but as far as popcorn escapism goes, it was great.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
3/10

cgi is crap

forgettable

at a certain point Huey, the problem is with you and not the movies. After all, you keep going to see them lol

Also, Pirates at Disney SUX!!
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
3/10

cgi is crap

forgettable

at a certain point Huey, the problem is with you and not the movies. After all, you keep going to see them lol

I liked Logan and Wonder Woman and the Avengers 1 and all of their origin solos, so it's not like I have ridiculous standards for these movies. This one just sucked. Among the reasons: too much screen time for people who have no business being in the entertainment industry. Exhibit A - Parker's zero-charisma blob of a best friend.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
3/10

cgi is crap

forgettable

I liked Logan and Wonder Woman and the Avengers 1 and all of their origin solos, so it's not like I have ridiculous standards for these movies. This one just sucked. Among the reasons: too much screen time for people who have no business being in the entertainment industry. Exhibit A - Parker's zero-charisma blob of a best friend.

You bastard.

I came here trying to pick a fight and you actually had a valid reason for not liking it smh.

Well I liked his blob of a friend so there! Then again I pretty much have liked all the MCU movies so whatever formula they been using works for me lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: