Lebron and the All-Time Scoring Record
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
It's not really clear if additional playoff games have any impact on career longevity, though.

Lots of people imagine that the human body is like a machine that suffers "wear and tear" the more it's used. However, unlike machines, the body can regenerate and repair damage. And more and more scientists are rejecting the whole notion of "wear and tear" in terms of the body.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but we really have no idea if playing 20 additional playoff games year after year has a positive, neutral or negative effect on career longevity.

I don't think Lebron will play that long simply because it's unprecedented for anyone to play that long.

On the wear and tear point, I know what you're talking about. However, I'm not sold on the argument as applied to athletes. Part of the problem is the term "wear and tear," which is sort of a loose description of what we're talking about. There are parts of the body that do not regenerate. Knee and back injuries generally do not heal. When athletes are competing at a high level, they tend to pick up a lot of little injuries that they just play through. But the injuries don't always go away. We even see recurring muscular injuries, either because athletes don't let the injuries heal properly or because the muscle does not fully heal for other reasons. And when players compensate for the little injuries, that can lead to bigger injuries.

If you play an extra 20 games per year at a high level of intensity (in other words, playoff basketball), the odds are pretty good that you're going to pick up some of those little injuries. Kobe played 220 playoff games, which is almost 3 extra seasons of NBA basketball at an especially intense level. That had to take a toll. In a sense, every professional athlete is one step away from a catastrophic knee injury -- we've seen this happen on simple, routine plays (Shaun Livingston). Kobe had 220 extra opportunities to take that bad step. It finally caught up with him, and then everything just went downhill.

So yeah, maybe "wear and tear" isn't the best way to put it. It isn't just the mileage. It's all of the road hazards along the way.

I agree that the additional games provide additional chance for injury.

However, I have doubts whether the physical exertion itself has any effect.

And even if you could somehow measure the overall effect and find the average effect on the average NBA player, the variation from individual player to individual player can be enormous.

There really isn't much rhyme or reason why some guys start to slow down and others go on like the energizer bunny.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

Lebron is currently 11224 points from breaking the record. Assuming he averages 25ppg @ 77 games a year, it would take him 5.83 seasons. At 23 ppg @ 77 gms/yr, it would take 6.33 seasons. Difficult to maintain. One would think some gradual decline will occur. But I think he'll pull it off - been telling people this for awhile - which means KD will be chasing a new mark.

Perhaps the most overlooked record is the FGM. This one is tougher to get. It would take Lebron over 8 seasons if he maintains his current rate of production.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Lebron is currently 11224 points from breaking the record. Assuming he averages 25ppg @ 77 games a year, it would take him 5.83 seasons. At 23 ppg @ 77 gms/yr, it would take 6.33 seasons. Difficult to maintain. One would think some gradual decline will occur. But I think he'll pull it off - been telling people this for awhile - which means KD will be chasing a new mark.

Perhaps the most overlooked record is the FGM. This one is tougher to get. It would take Lebron over 8 seasons if he maintains his current rate of production.

They were doing the same calculation for Kobe prior to the achilles... he could've done it
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I feel like Durant catching KAJ is more likely.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
governator wrote:
He can model himself ala Malone, become more of a traditional 4 and shoot more jumpers

Malone still ran the floor later in his career and of course KAJ had to keep up with Showtime.

I don't remember Kareem keeping up with Showtime.

I remember him staying in the backcourt while his teammates did the fast break. He didn't even try at that point. He was just like... "You go guys. I'll be right over here..."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

They were doing the same calculation for Kobe prior to the achilles... he could've done it

Yep. It's not impossible, but it really does make you appreciate what KAJ did.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

Yep. It's not impossible, but it really does make you appreciate what KAJ did.

Especially since Kareem played in an era where guys spend four years in college and didn't come into the NBA until they were 21 or 22 years old. Kareem was easily good enough to play in the NBA at age 18 so he could have had another 9000 points or so added to his total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

If Cap came out after his freshman or sophomore year, dude would prolly have 40K
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
If Cap came out after his freshman or sophomore year, dude would prolly have 40K

So would MJ (if you add the baseball years too)
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
The extra games might have shortened his pro career on the other end. So he could have ended up with the same amount of pro years.
Plus, playing with Magic had to help with the extension of his career. Which might not have happened if he was in the league earlier. Butterfly wings and all that.

That people easily dismiss him from the GOAT conversation is strange.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
The extra games might have shortened his pro career on the other end. So he could have ended up with the same amount of pro years.
Plus, playing with Magic had to help with the extension of his career. Which might not have happened if he was in the league earlier. Butterfly wings and all that.

There's a what-if counterargument to any what-if, of course; that said, I don't see any evidence that coming in the league at age18 is more likely to cause a player to retire at an earlier age than if he spends some time in college playing ball.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
bum2 wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

There's a what-if counterargument to any what-if, of course; that said, I don't see any evidence that coming in the league at age18 is more likely to cause a player to retire at an earlier age than if he spends some time in college playing ball.

In the pro game, you play more games...meaning more minutes. If minutes didn't wear you down, guys would play 40+ all the time.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I thought these next few years, if he stays in GS, were going to be a big hit to his scoring average but KD is averaging 26-27 practically rolling out of bed this season. His efficiency #'s are just stupid right now. I truly feel with his size/skill/athleticism combo that he could make an assault on Kobe's 2006 season fairly easily. It's just a matter of how voracious his appetite is.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I thought these next few years, if he stays in GS, were going to be a big hit to his scoring average but KD is averaging 26-27 practically rolling out of bed this season. His efficiency #'s are just stupid right now. I truly feel with his size/skill/athleticism combo that he could make an assault on Kobe's 2006 season fairly easily. It's just a matter of how voracious his appetite is.

LeBron has to bully his way to the hoop, Durant probably still shoots over everybody when he is 40, without even breaking a sweat. So I guess Durant has better chances there. On the other hand - LeBron seems to not have many health issues - except being out of breath all the time...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
In the pro game, you play more games...meaning more minutes. If minutes didn't wear you down, guys would play 40+ all the time.

I don't know of any evidence to support the idea that playing a guy 2,500 minutes in one season will lengthen his career more than if he played 3,000 minutes.

The body isn't like a machine whose parts will wear down after x amount of use.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't know of any evidence to support the idea that playing a guy 2,500 minutes in one season will lengthen his career more than if he played 3,000 minutes.

actually does for joints
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
bum2 wrote:

actually does for joints

From what I've read on the topic, there is a lot of disagreement about what effect prolonged exercise has on joints, and there's no conclusion on whether it is detrimental. I've seen studies/opinions that argue both sides. If you have evidence I don't know about, please share!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
bum2 wrote:

actually does for joints

From what I've read on the topic, there is a lot of disagreement about what effect prolonged exercise has on joints, and there's no conclusion on whether it is detrimental. I've seen studies/opinions that argue both sides. If you have evidence I don't know about, please share!

2014 article by Clinical Medicine Insight: Arthritis and Mucsuloskeletal disorder published in NIH pubmed

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039183/#

Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the most devastating chronic conditions that affect people around the world. Although the usual population associated with the condition is the elderly, who are mostly inactive, athletes and younger individuals are also susceptible. Depending on the population, the etiology may differ; injuries, occupational activities, and obesity appear to be the most common causes of OA in young and athletic populations. Diagnosing OA in athletes and young individuals is sometimes challenging because of their increased pain tolerance. However, the treatment of OA in these populations does not differ from its management in the general population. Several considerations need to be taken into account when choosing a treatment modality. The purpose of this review is to address OA in athletes and younger individuals and to discuss its presentation, diagnosis, and treatment.

From Journal of Exercise Physiology vol 11 number 2 April 2008
https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/FrieryJEPonlineApril2008.pdf

OSTEOARTHRITIS
Osteoarthritis is a disabling joint disorder characterized by pain, stiffness and degeneration of the
joints. The development of premature osteoarthritis of weight-bearing, lower-limb joints is a common
adverse effect associated with vigorous physical activity (39, 41, 48, 94). Athletes have been reported
to have an increased risk for lower-limb osteoarthritis (34, 41, 48)
. There are many lower-limb injuries
obtained through competing in athletics that may accelerate the development of osteoarthritis
because joint injuries are strongly associated with an increased risk of developing the disease
prematurely (34, 39, 41). Participants in power sports that have high risk for joint injuries may have an
elevated risk of premature lower-limb osteoarthritis (39, 48). There also appears to be an increased
risk of lower limb osteoarthritis in repetitive, high impact sports, such as distance running (39, 41, 48).
This risk IS strongly associated with joint injury (39, 41). Koh (29) found osteoarthritis of the hip,
ankle, and elbow to be caused by repeated loads or a specific traumatic event, supporting prior
findings (41, 48, 80, 94, 97, 98). Knee osteoarthritis appears to be the most common form of
osteoarthritis in athletes, and it most often follows a knee injury (34, 41).
Two studies confirmed that injury is a risk factor for osteoarthritis. Gelber et al. (14) followed 1,321
athletic patients for 12 years and found that by age 65, those with childhood or adolescent joint
injuries had a cumulative incidence of 13.9% of osteoarthritis compared with 6% in those without an
injury. The relative risks for developing knee or hip osteoarthritis after an injury were 5.17 and 3.5
respectively. This supported research by Cooper et al. (6) who found knee injury associated with
knee osteoarthritis after following patients for five years.
Competitive Athletes may be at greater risk of needing hospital care for osteoarthritis of the hip, knee
and ankle (36, 39). In a study comparing endurance athletes, mixed sport athletes and power
athletes with controls, all athletes had higher incidences of osteoarthritis than healthy subjects (39)
The average age of endurance athletes was five years higher at hospital admission than any of the
other groups. When age was accounted for, endurance athletes were 1.73 times more likely than
control subjects to be admitted to the hospital for osteoarthritis. Power sport athletes and mixed sport
athletes were 1.90 and 2.17 times more likely than control subjects to be hospitalized.
Buckwalter (4) found an increased risk of articular cartilage degeneration in men and women
participating in high impact sports which resulted in the development of osteoarthritis. He observed
that moderate habitual exercise does not increase risk of osteoarthritis and certain moderate physical
activities improve strength and mobility in older people with mild to moderate osteoarthritis. This
research supported previous conclusions (16, 45). Abnormal joint anatomy or alignment, previous
joint injury or surgery, joint instability, above-average body weight, disturbances of muscle innervation
of a joint, or inadequate muscle strength seemed to increase risk (4).
Recent studies consistently show an increased risk of hip/knee osteoarthritis in chronic exercisers
(16, 98). This is more prevalent in anaerobic sports than in endurance sports, though runners who
train heavily, or at high-intensities may be exposed to increased risk of hip and knee osteoarthritis,
compared with moderately active controls, (16). Former athletes display the radiological signs of
osteoarthritis appear as osteophytes and subchondral sclerosis (16).
Both joint injury and joint stress contribute to the development of osteoarthritis (41). Many
researchers have examined how sports participation may play a role in the development of arthritis.
Soccer is associated with joint overload and risk of injury to the knee (34, 38). There is an increased
incidence of cruciate ligament and meniscus injury among soccer players and more reported cases of
Incidence of Injury and Disease 31
arthritis (34, 38). Roos et al. (80) found radiological signs of arthritis present in 50 percent of soccer
players after 15 years. They found elite-level soccer to be associated with an increased risk of knee
osteoarthritis even if cases of trauma-induced cases were excluded. An increased risk of hip
osteoarthritis in former elite soccer players was also found, but below the elite level, soccer was not
associated with an increased risk of knee or hip osteoarthritis. Long-distance running below the elite
level has not been found to be associated with an increased risk of osteoarthritis (34), but extreme,
high-intensity long-distance running may contribute to osteoarthritis of the hip or in the knee (34, 44,
45). This is an important distinction, in that it suggests that more moderate activity does not confer
greater risk, rather it is extreme training that predisposes to injury.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

IMO, nobody on the scene right now is going to catch and displace Cap ... LeBron has never seemed obsessive enough when it comes to volume scoring, so I doubt he's going to play long enough to threaten the scoring records. And I don't see Durant's body holding up enough to get within striking distance, either.

Barring major injury, LeBron will probably finish with something like 33,000 - 34,000 points and 8,500 - 9,000 rebounds with 8,000 - 8,500 assists, on right around 50% shooting from the field ... four R/S MVPs, four Finals MVPs, and four rings ... fo' fo' fo' ... that's how I see it playing out over the next 4/5 years.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
IMO, nobody on the scene right now is going to catch and displace Cap ... LeBron has never seemed obsessive enough when it comes to volume scoring, so I doubt he's going to play long enough to threaten the scoring records. And I don't see Durant's body holding up enough to get within striking distance, either.

Barring major injury, LeBron will probably finish with something like 33,000 - 34,000 points and 8,500 - 9,000 rebounds with 8,000 - 8,500 assists, on right around 50% shooting from the field ... four R/S MVPs, four Finals MVPs, and four rings ... fo' fo' fo' ... that's how I see it playing out over the next 4/5 years.

What he is: consistent and efficient. Hasn't finished below 25ppg since his rookie year. Currently averaging 25 this year, his 14th. He's Karl Malone with 4 extra years. Can't see him finishing below the 35,000 level unless an injury occurs.

Just for comparison: Kareem's ppg in his 14th season: 21.8.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
the association wrote:

What he is: consistent and efficient. Hasn't finished below 25ppg since his rookie year. Currently averaging 25 this year, his 14th. He's Karl Malone with 4 extra years. Can't see him finishing below the 35,000 level unless an injury occurs.

Just for comparison: Kareem's ppg in his 14th season: 21.8.

Barring major injury, I see maybe another 1,000 points this season, maybe two more seasons in the 20 - 23 PPG range over 65 - 72 games, and maybe two additional seasons in the 17 - 20 PPG range over 60 - 70 games. Four seasons after this one, landing in that 33,000 - 34,000 career points range. That's assuming a hell of a lot, but I don't see any scenario where he's going to average 25 PPG in effective perpetuity.

He doesn't give a (bleep) about points (much less staying in games to notch that final rebound or assist to hit the triple double), and at this point, he doesn't give a (bleep) about maximum output in the regular season anyway. I think if he can compete for a title this season, and two or three of the next four seasons, he'll probably retire thereafter.

The only exception on this final point is that it's probably more difficult for someone in the NBA to retire at the top than someone in the NFL (e.g., Peyton Manning), where the physical toll can be much greater. Or even in MLB, where the average age skews higher than in basketball. So in the event that LeBron's team won a championship in what might otherwise have been his last season, it might end up being a penultimate season after all.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the most devastating chronic conditions that affect people around the world. Although the usual population associated with the condition is the elderly, who are mostly inactive, athletes and younger individuals are also susceptible.

This discussion has come up a few times over the years. There is an important distinction between two different questions:

1. Whether intense athletic activity can lead to joint problems, back problems, and knee problems. The answer is clearly yes.

2. Whether there is a correlation between those sorts of problems and the level of athletic activity in terms of games or minutes played. The research you are discussing compares athletes to non-athletes, as opposed to athletes who play more minutes to athletes who play fewer minutes. In the latter context, the effect is much less clear, and this is what AV is talking about. Does playing 2500 minutes per year affect your body less than playing 3000 minutes per year? Is that even meaningful once you take all of the practice time and physical training into account? For the typical player, game minutes are a fraction of actual physical activity. You can mess up your joints working out in a gym in the off-season.

Personally, I think the greater effect of playing more minutes and games is the accumulation of minor injuries (which are more likely to occur in the intensity of a game environment than in workouts or practice), which has a cascading effect on players later in their careers. I'm not a doctor or a medical researcher, though.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the most devastating chronic conditions that affect people around the world. Although the usual population associated with the condition is the elderly, who are mostly inactive, athletes and younger individuals are also susceptible.

This discussion has come up a few times over the years. There is an important distinction between two different questions:

1. Whether intense athletic activity can lead to joint problems, back problems, and knee problems. The answer is clearly yes.

2. Whether there is a correlation between those sorts of problems and the level of athletic activity in terms of games or minutes played. The research you are discussing compares athletes to non-athletes, as opposed to athletes who play more minutes to athletes who play fewer minutes. In the latter context, the effect is much less clear, and this is what AV is talking about. Does playing 2500 minutes per year affect your body less than playing 3000 minutes per year? Is that even meaningful once you take all of the practice time and physical training into account? For the typical player, game minutes are a fraction of actual physical activity. You can mess up your joints working out in a gym in the off-season.

Personally, I think the greater effect of playing more minutes and games is the accumulation of minor injuries (which are more likely to occur in the intensity of a game environment than in workouts or practice), which has a cascading effect on players later in their careers. I'm not a doctor or a medical researcher, though.

thank you
I been saying this forever as people keep pushing this myth of the impact live game minutes have on athlete's bodies.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

This hits the nail on the head. It's a really difficult thing to measure, and even if you can identify a correlation, the actual impact is going to vary widely from player to player. For example, you have guys like Karl Malone who played a ton of minutes for many years with no visible impact on his level of play.

I think the recent trend of reducing players minutes is about enhancing their performance in individual games, rather than in lengthening their careers. which makes sense, because that's a far easier thing to measure.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

There was a poster who asked for evidence to share. I understands that there will always be anecdotal accounts on both sides of argument. I think peer reviewed articles have some weight in this argument, although I'm not sure if there is one where they compared NBA players with different minutes played
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: