Clarkson/filler for Noel. WYD
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sixers call the Lakers for Clarkson. They'll give us Noel. Do you do this deal?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 112 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 181

justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Clarkson/filler for Noel. WYD

It probably shapes up to be something like

JC + 2nd rounder or JC + Tarik Black.

wyd and why

BREAKING IT DOWN:

The Sixers would have to at least consider a deal like this. They almost pulled the trigger for Teague earlier this year. They'd probably be interested in a contributor like Clarkson with Noel's value dropping by the minute with all his postgame comments. What else are they getting for him these days?

I think that JC will shoot himself out of his slump and start scoring at a higher rate. But I have a lot of doubts about how his BBIQ has regressed this season. I think it's a product of him trying to overperform in a smaller role. JC was also a huge reason why the bench unit was on fire to start the season. He wasn't playing out of his mind. He was just making shots, so was Lou Will, and they had 2-3 energy guys who can defend and they were killing teams. But he's been making stupid plays all season. If he can make a couple less per game (currently averaging 2 TOV), that unit can come back to life, I think.

Our defense improves if we get Noel. We have to decide how much we're paying him in RFA. We have to consider his injury history. He could be a DPOY candidate down the road. This could mess with team chemistry if we bring Mozgov off the bench. If the Lakers trade Tarik, this could also mess with chemistry, as it feels like he's a big contributor in the locker room. Clarkson's contributions to the team are somewhat replaceable with the Lakers' surplus of guards. Building around DLO/BI/Noel/Randle feels great on paper.

Kind of conflicted... if the Sixers called for a deal like this, I'd probably want to pull the trigger and play our cards right in RFA. In the new CBA, considering the Lakers' assets, they need all of the upside players they can get. But I'm not heartbroken if we keep JC and have faith that he pulls it together because that bench unit was straight fire.

Last edited by justsomelakerfan on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

yes but too bad we gave moz and denf so much money and Noel will demand max money when free agent
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
yes but too bad we gave moz and denf so much money and Noel will demand max money when free agent

It's killer. See if Noel's healthy, I think he's worth the money because he's elite on defense. If he really plays well with more minutes, I'd try to figure out a way to send out Mozgov's contract with an asset or two attached (like those 2nd rounders?)

If he's not healthy, no deal though. But I'm also really suspicious of how the Sixers have handled their players from a medical standpoint. Really good post about it on reddit I read this morning.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

It's also possible, if the Lakers want Noel and are OK with spending money on him, to force the Sixers to match in RFA without trading an asset away. But Mitch is notorious for disliking RFA moves. And it's possible the Sixers just really enjoy ruining Nerlens Noel's life and decide to max him anyway.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

How did Noel look last night?

Anyway, ya'll like to analyze everything our players say, or anything DeMarcus Cousins does.

Here's Noel's "I'm not an 8 minute player" rant

Well here is what he said after the game to the media.

"I don't really care who I'm playing with. I'm not an 8 minute player. So I don't know what that's about. So, I don't care where, I don't really care. I need to be on the court playing basketball. I mean, I'm too good to be playing 8 minutes . Like no, that's crazy, that's crazy, that's crazy. Need to figure this [expletive] out."

So he very obviously wants out. But if Philly is gonna care so little about the guy then we shouldn't offer them any mass assets for him. Not just the injury history or otherwise but why buy high when they don't even show him any respect whatsoever. The Sixers don't deserve any real assets for Noel. If we wanted, we could save him in RFA with an offer sheet that Philly won't match.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

bad. cause for concern given his injury history.

but this guy needs to play into a rhythm again. 8 mpg isn't cutting it. sixers are intentionally not playing this guy. they've been so suspect with how they play guys that aren't their draft darlings, so to speak.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

The bigger question on evaluating on Clarkson for Noel trade is based on more talent and potential.

For that, you have to say yes to the trade, Sixers IMO are holding a huge grudge on Noel and is tanking it right now once he comes to a different team you will see a much better player.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

Anyway, ya'll like to analyze everything our players say, or anything DeMarcus Cousins does.

"I don't really care who I'm playing with. I'm not an 8 minute player. So I don't know what that's about. So, I don't care where, I don't really care. I need to be on the court playing basketball. I mean, I'm too good to be playing 8 minutes . Like no, that's crazy, that's crazy, that's crazy. Need to figure this [expletive] out."

So he very obviously wants out. But if Philly is gonna care so little about the guy then we shouldn't offer them any mass assets for him. Not just the injury history or otherwise but why buy high when they don't even show him any respect whatsoever. The Sixers don't deserve any real assets for Noel. If we wanted, we could save him in RFA with an offer sheet that Philly won't match.

Because think about if, if Noel is here, when is he going to play? Is he gonna take Tarik Black's minutes at the backup 5? What about Zubac? Is he gonna be patient enough not being a starting 5 for two more seasons? What about when the Lakers pursue Cousins in 2018?

Quite honestly, the way Philly has treated Noel, they don't deserve Clarkson for him.

That and his knee surgeries and such and missing time and being a young big man with knee injuries this early in your career.

I'd say that it could be best to sell low on Noel.

The easiest way to get him, I believe is something rather simple.

Give them a player we aren't going to use a lot (such as a Huertas, Robinson, etc) and remove the protection from our top 3 pick.

That could potentially net us Noel.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

I would, as I believe Noel will be a better player than Clarkson. But, my priority would be trading for a good defensive winger.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
MJST wrote:

but this guy needs to play into a rhythm again. 8 mpg isn't cutting it. sixers are intentionally not playing this guy. they've been so suspect with how they play guys that aren't their draft darlings, so to speak.

That team is such an imbalanced mess I don't know how all of them don't look bad. I've never seen a dumber swingman in my life than that Covington guy; might have to readjust my opinion of Okafor.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

As long as the filler doesn't include Zubac or Nance Jr. I think this trade helps both teams. Our interior defense stinks because the front court is undersized when Mozgov is on the bench. Philly needs better guard play in the worst way.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

My friend who's a Warriors fan thinks they can trade Patrick McCaw + filler for Noel (I'm guessing it's talk radio fodder up there.) Wouldn't Clarkson have more trade value?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
My friend who's a Warriors fan thinks they can trade Patrick McCaw + filler for Noel (I'm guessing it's talk radio fodder up there.) Wouldn't Clarkson have more trade value?

Hard to say. I give the Warriors a slight edge here, but it hinges on the filler they send out. McCaw has upside and fills a need for the Sixers. They know what they're getting with JC. I guess, on the flipside, Clarkson is more proven over McCaw and the Sixers will know they're definitely getting talent back.

But they've been an upside team since they started their rebuild.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Really bad comparison here. The guy obviously is frustrated with his situation that he's currently in, and rightfully so.But that does not make the kid a bad person or rotten apple.Does he have a well documented history of on & off the court behavioral problems like Boogie Counsins is known for? No.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
MJST wrote:

That team is such an imbalanced mess I don't know how all of them don't look bad. I've never seen a dumber swingman in my life than that Covington guy; might have to readjust my opinion of Okafor.

They have treated all of their assets outside of Embiid and Simmons like total crap. Okafor is better than the stats he's putting up this season. So is Noel.

It really bothers me tbh. Read this post on reddit that analyzes how they treated their bigs with injury history. Puts a lot into words that I thought were strange coincidences.

Don't get me wrong. I'm nervous about his injury history too. There's aspects of this trade that make me hesitant on pulling the trigger, the biggest actually being how it impacts the team chemistry. But how Noel has performed is more of a product of the organization than anything.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

KB8SD wrote:
MJST wrote:

Really bad comparison here. The guy obviously is frustrated with his situation that he's currently in, and rightfully so.But that does not make the kid a bad person or rotten apple.Does he have a well documented history of on & off the court behavioral problems like Boogie Counsins is known for? No.

There's are rumblings out there that he's a problem.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah a report came out like last week that a lot of orgs have looked into Noel and found some negatives with his attitude, making him a sell-low target. But the Sixers have treated him so horribly, that hell, I'd be pissy too. He's such an odd case.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

warriors will snatch him up ala mcgee and devleop him. perfect place for him

philly and la r basketball hell for noel.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
MJST wrote:

is that coming from the Philly media? Most reports I have read is that he's a hard worker, Any player would be frustrated with the Sixers situation, they have like 3-4 big man who they don't know rather 2 keep or trade.

Sixers are treating Noel and to some extent Okafor very harsh.

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

its a poisonous place really. they have been messing with him since they drafted Okafor.

He can be as good as Tyson Chandler
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Because think about if, if Noel is here, when is he going to play? Is he gonna take Tarik Black's minutes at the backup 5? What about Zubac? Is he gonna be patient enough not being a starting 5 for two more seasons? What about when the Lakers pursue Cousins in 2018?

I think the Lakers are totally out of the Cousins FA picture, along with any other team, given the new CBA. All major FA targets are trade targets now. No one's turning down that money. I was a big believer in pursuing Boogie prior to the new CBA coming out though.

It does create a logjam at the center position... but at this point, it's so hard to gain upside players with the Lakers' current asset situation. I think we just have to get him, apologize to Tarik Black, and still develop Zubac and see what he turns into. IF we did the trade. I certainly see the positives of doing it, but I'm not entirely sold yet on pulling the trigger in a hypothetical scenario like this.

MJST wrote:
Quite honestly, the way Philly has treated Noel, they don't deserve Clarkson for him.

That and his knee surgeries and such and missing time and being a young big man with knee injuries this early in your career.

I'd say that it could be best to sell low on Noel.

The easiest way to get him, I believe is something rather simple.

Give them a player we aren't going to use a lot (such as a Huertas, Robinson, etc) and remove the protection from our top 3 pick.

That could potentially net us Noel.

I like your thought on Philly needing to sell low on Noel. After all, the best target that's even come out publicly for him has been Jeff Teague, and Clarkson is currently playing around the same level as him.

Your idea could net Noel, I think, but do salaries need to match? Not sure how removing pick protections factor in. I'm no contract wizard lol. Also, I'd really want to see the Lakers play through the end of this month and part of January before removing the protections on the pick. Gotta see how far the Lakers will be under .500 before we do that.

Last edited by justsomelakerfan on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
MJST wrote:

Yeah a report came out like last week that a lot of orgs have looked into Noel and found some negatives with his attitude, making him a sell-low target. But the Sixers have treated him so horribly, that hell, I'd be pissy too. He's such an odd case.

I'd say the negative attitude is coming from the fact that he wants out of Philly and is dogging the Sixers and the team.

I'd say without hesitation that his injury concerns is why he's not getting traded especially for value..
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

I don't think Noel has any trade value. If he did, he'd have been traded by now. My guess is Philly will try to trade him this season, and end up with a crappy future 1st round pick.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I don't think Noel has any trade value. IF he did, he'd have been traded by none. My guess is Philly will try to trade him this season, and end up with a crappy future 1st round pick.

But he's going to be an RFA this offseason. They have to make a decision to sign him this summer.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

This rumor has been around for a while and I dunno if I'd do it or not. Sometimes I think its a good idea, sometimes I don't.

Noel is being treated like a third stringer right now and he's pissed about it. I'd offer the two second rounders we got from Calderon and if they pass, then oh well. I know people don't like Clarkson, but he is an important player for our bench unit.

Also, if we did trade for Noel we would have way too many big men. i think T-Rob would have to be cut and Tarik benched/traded. I think Noel would want to start, but I dunno if that would happen. He has great potential on defense, but he isn't as good as Mozgov on offense or at setting screens.

There has been a lot of buzz about his attitude and I tend to think its true. If I remember correctly he totally trashed a house he was renting a while ago. As for his attitude on the court, I think he's just frustrated that the 76ers picked him and seemed to show no faith in his abilities by drafting two more centers. He needs out of Philly, pronto.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 1 of 39
Jump to: