Nerlens Noel

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Nerlens Noel

Would you want to? If so, what would you realistically be willing to give up?

Clarkson and a future second?

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/11/20/nerlens-noel-los-angeles-lakers-peoples-move/
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I think Noel would be a good pickup for our team, we should make a move for him, because we still don't have a solid defensive anchor and he would definitely shore up the painted area for us on defense.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject:

If he is a Center or PF, we seem to have those positions covered..

Trading a key component of our League leading (scoring) bench for a guy who will just take minutes away from Black, seems rather pointless, don't you think?

Last edited by unleasHell on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
If he is a Center of PF, we seem to have those positions covered..

Trading a key component of our League leading (scoring) bench for a guy who will just take minutes away from Black, seems rather pointless, don't you think?

It's more than just about giving up a key component of our identity (bench scoring, which I think Nick and Lou do a decent job of); it's about having a young defensive anchor to balance out the roster. Ingram and D'lo will become more proficient on offense and with Randle, we have three excellent ball distributors (which Clarkson is not). Philly will want a young scoring guard in return for Noel and for us to give up either D'lo or Ingram makes little sense. Plus, it's easier to go after a guard than it is to add a defensive big in free agency.

None of our current bigs has the combination foot speed, ability to shoot the passing lane and weak side help defense that Noel brings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

There is no way in hell I would want to pay Noel $20 mil a season. He is good defensively but no fit at all offensively. Mozgov (now) and Zubac (in the future) can play both sides of the ball.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nerlens Noel

Gatekeeper wrote:
Would you want to? If so, what would you realistically be willing to give up?

Clarkson and a future second?

http://hoopshabit.com/2016/11/20/nerlens-noel-los-angeles-lakers-peoples-move/

Dude is always hurt, what would you trade Clarkson for him? I would trade Russell instead
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject:

The problem is, we need a game changer. We should NOT trade away our assets for a guy who just gives us different holes to fill.

It's not going to be easy to find a player who is a game changer.

We need the next Kobe, the next Magic, the next Jabbar. Without that guy, we are just going to hang out in mediocrity.

The day that guy becomes available to us, I would trade almost any of our guys to get him, but don't really think Noel is one of those guys.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
The problem is, we need a game changer. We should NOT trade away our assets for a guy who just gives us different holes to fill.

We need the next Kobe, the next Magic, the next Jabbar. Without that guy, we are just going to hang out in mediocrity.

The day that guy becomes available to us, I would trade almost any of our guys to get him, but don't really think Noel is one of those guys.

Do you think that Young, Williams, and Clarkson already fill similar roles?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

IF he's healthy, the most I'd give up for him is JC. The most. Annoyed at trading away a 2nd rounder when we might need those picks to offload a contract down the road.

But I love his skill set and I think he's a prospect that fits well on the team. Getting him is basically a replacement for no lotto pick this season. We don't fall behind other rebuilding teams. It's definitely not a bad idea if he's healthy.

Get him into regular playing shape and eventually bring Moz off the bench until we can trade off his contract in its last year or two.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:

No, but not my point. If we have to trade those guys for Noel, now we have to find someone to fill their roles with us. Since our guard play has actually been pretty good, it seems a waste to fill one hole and have another appear. And honestly, if Noel was that good, he would be getting a whole lot more playing time in Philly.

I would love to sign him as a FA, I suspect he is an upgrade over Moz, though not really sure. I don't think he is a completely proven, solid player at this point. Not breaking up our core to cover him. If we could trade Moz and a pick for him, then yeah, sure.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:

No, but not my point. If we have to trade those guys for Noel, now we have to find someone to fill their roles with us. Since our guard play has actually been pretty good, it seems a waste to fill one hole and have another appear. And honestly, if Noel was that good, he would be getting a whole lot more playing time in Philly.

I would love to sign him as a FA, I suspect he is an upgrade over Moz, though not really sure. I don't think he is a completely proven, solid player at this point. Not breaking up our core to cover him. If we could trade Moz and a pick for him, then yeah, sure.

I disagree. Not every team has basically 3 6thmen Iso-type scorers to function.

The 76ers are dysfunctional too and frankly, Embiid is getting all of the attention. He's a flat out better 2-way prospect than Noel. That's why Noel's value has dropped considerably.

I don't think it's smart to basically "fulfill a current role" on the Lakers when the Lakers have overstock of one particular value or skill set. This trade would actually help both teams, the 76ers more than the Lakers, but the Lakers need PnR/defensive Cs that can finish. That is Noel.

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:

The 76ers are dysfunctional too and frankly, Embiid is getting all of the attention. He's a flat out better 2-way prospect than Noel. That's why Noel's value has dropped considerably.

I don't think it's smart to basically "fulfill a current role" on the Lakers when the Lakers have overstock of one particular value or skill set. This trade would actually help both teams, the 76ers more than the Lakers, but the Lakers need PnR/defensive Cs that can finish. That is Noel.

This is one of those trade ideas that might work, but has about an equal chance of not working too. It just seems to me that Walton is trying to build a deep team where none of his guys really has to go out there and play over 30 minutes a game. If they start trading out our depth for incrementally better starters, not sure we play into Waltons strengths or intentions for this team. That being said, a great starting 5 with a couple of bench players that can help us, could be a solid way too. As long as they can avoid injuries.

What I suspect is going to happen is we are going to have to go one more year after this year, developing our young players and improving incrementally, before we can start trying to fine tune the roster and find a A or A- pro to come here and help us win a ring.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:

Whether Noel is worth a big contract is a different topic. That said, I wouldn't worry about filling or creating holes; I'd simply look to upgrade our talent. By the time this team will be any good, lots of the players on it now will be gone.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Wino wrote:

This is one of those trade ideas that might work, but has about an equal chance of not working too. It just seems to me that Walton is trying to build a deep team where none of his guys really has to go out there and play over 30 minutes a game. If they start trading out our depth for incrementally better starters, not sure we play into Waltons strengths or intentions for this team. That being said, a great starting 5 with a couple of bench players that can help us, could be a solid way too. As long as they can avoid injuries.

What I suspect is going to happen is we are going to have to go one more year after this year, developing our young players and improving incrementally, before we can start trying to fine tune the roster and find a A or A- pro to come here and help us win a ring.

I don't see how it doesn't work considering the Lakers would be giving up repetitive skill sets at guard and opening more PT for Young, Lou, Russell.

I think Robo sub is on only because we want to keep the Lakers healthy, but also have them develop in varying game situations. That dynamic changes when things tighten up for playoff teams.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I want Noel. Badly. But only if we can clear Mozgov off the books.
Vottomatic
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I want Noel. Badly. But only if we can clear Mozgov off the books.

Maybe Clarkson for Noel then trading Mozgov for Allen Crab?
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

If Sixers somehow get #1 and get Fultz, watch out. If all healthy, I think they make 8th seed East next season. Let's hope we steal Noel from them and Ben Simmons turns out a bust.

PG: Fultz
SG: Stauskas
SF: Simmons
PF: Noel
C: Embiid
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
If Sixers somehow get #1 and get Fultz, watch out. If all healthy, I think they make 8th seed East next season. Let's hope we steal Noel from them and Ben Simmons turns out a bust.

PG: Fultz
SG: Stauskas
SF: Simmons
PF: Noel
C: Embiid

Simmons won't bust. Frankly, I'm not concerned about the 76ers.

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Noel: 8 & 4 yesterday of the bench...
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

What is the fascination with Nerlens Noel? I've never seen him play but from what I heard, he is a PF/C who can rebound and block shots....with limited offensive skills.

Where would he play in the Lakers rotation? And who would they realistically have to give up? I think the Lakers have enough guys who can't shoot.

The only place I could think that the Lakers could use him is in place of Mosgov or Black. But having a C who can't shoot next to Randle is probably not good. So maybe as the back up center instead of Black. But I wouldn't want the Lakers to give up any of the young guys like Nance, Russell, or Ingram.
Mitch Kupchak
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject:

I find it rather difficult to believe that we couldn't obtain Noel after discovering the crumbs Dallas gave up to trade for him! Absolutely wild! Thoughts?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak wrote:
I find it rather difficult to believe that we couldn't obtain Noel after discovering the crumbs Dallas gave up to trade for him! Absolutely wild! Thoughts?

Same thoughts as you. Think we missed out.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak wrote:

If their main goal was to get a draft pick this year, we really didn't have anything to offer. Whether they would have wanted any of our young guys -- and who we might have given up for him -- is anyone's guess.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Mitch Kupchak wrote:

The Sixers got an expiring contract, a young player with some upside, and a draft pick (or most likely two). What exactly is more appealing about Jordan Clarkson than that package? And I like Clarkson.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: