Guarding LeBron: Written & Directed by Kobe

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Guarding LeBron: Written & Directed by Kobe

Quote:
Guarding LeBron: Written & Directed by Kobe Basketball icon Kobe Bryant produced a short film for NBA Countdown breaking down how to defend the NBA's best players, including Cavs star LeBron James.

Link

Thoughts?
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

The insight was cool, the cartoon sections were ah...interesting
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

he predicted that one tomahawk dunk LBJ had
TDG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

I liked the concept of it keeps it entertaining and not just a massive info dump. I would have enjoyed it more if that last segment was a little longer. Also it would have probably been better if Kobe didn't narrate it himself. Hopefully they do more of these.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

I loved and hated it.

Loved the beginning where he gets in the psychology of the player he is analyzing. From high school tape, to favorite colors, cereal, etc. I also liked the analysis and breakdowns.

But stylistically? Oh my god. That was awful and cheesy. What the heck was he thinking? The execution was terrible. Those voiceovers were painful too. VHS tapes? WTH?

I'd love to advise him on these videos. I would have executed it differently. I want the method of analysis to be just as much about Kobe as it is the player he is deconstructing. Kobe was all about polish. Great fundamentals, exceptional, possibly best ever footwork, an obsessive aggressor. He was never goofy or cheesy. I'd prefer to see a more serious, stylistic video that shows the obsessively great lengths he'd go through to find weaknesses in his enemies.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I loved and hated it.

Loved the beginning where he gets in the psychology of the player he is analyzing. From high school tape, to favorite colors, cereal, etc. I also liked the analysis and breakdowns.

But stylistically? Oh my god. That was awful and cheesy. What the heck was he thinking? The execution was terrible. Those voiceovers were painful too. VHS tapes? WTH?

I'd love to advise him on these videos. I would have executed it differently. I want the method of analysis to be just as much about Kobe as it is the player he is deconstructing. Kobe was all about polish. Great fundamentals, exceptional, possibly best ever footwork, an obsessive aggressor. He was never goofy or cheesy. I'd prefer to see a more serious, stylistic video that shows the obsessively great lengths he'd go through to find weaknesses in his enemies.

Yea it was pretty 1999 Inside Stuff cheesy.. But at the same time I enjoyed it, although i didn't finish it lol.
It's his first project. He'll probably look back on it in a year after doing something really good and be like "wow. that was a bad idea"
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I loved and hated it.

Yea it was pretty 1999 Inside Stuff cheesy.. But at the same time I enjoyed it, although i didn't finish it lol.
It's his first project. He'll probably look back on it in a year after doing something really good and be like "wow. that was a bad idea"

Like his rap album =)
aachan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Way too cheesy for me. Seems like something you'd give an elementary school student to watch in the 90's. There were probably more cartoon cuts in this piece than there was breaking down footage.

I like the concept of breaking down the greats coming from an all-time great himself, I just wish he takes the execution in a different direction.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I loved and hated it.

Like his rap album =)

lol exactly
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject:

Neat vid! I half-expected to see some effects and intro logos like the ones from this old VHS my dad had:

Kobe needs to work on his line delivery though. During the warped voiceovers he sounded disinterested and corny.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject:

Good to see Kobe is channeling the passion in another direction. Pretty good stuff and I'm sure he will progress quickly in this new direction. Love that he is inspired by creativity.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject:

GIVE ME MORE!

Great job Kobe. Stylistically it appeals to an audience bigger than the typical NBA fan. In terms of basketball content I give it an A+.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I loved and hated it.

You obviously missed what Kobe was going for here, he purposely made is cheesy and corny. Kids will eat it up and ask for more! My favorite part of the video was psycho-analysis part studying Lebron's dance moves, the King sure loves to dance

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject:

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Guarding LeBron: Written & Directed by Kobe

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
Quote:
Guarding LeBron: Written & Directed by Kobe Basketball icon Kobe Bryant produced a short film for NBA Countdown breaking down how to defend the NBA's best players, including Cavs star LeBron James.

Link

Thoughts?

Video is not available in your country. Guess Trump already closed the borders...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

I loved it! The cheese is what made it unique!

GT has competition now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I loved and hated it.

You obviously missed what Kobe was going for here, he purposely made is cheesy and corny. Kids will eat it up and ask for more! My favorite part of the video was psycho-analysis part studying Lebron's dance moves, the King sure loves to dance

Kids don't even know what a VHS tape is. Anyway, I never thought of Kobe as cheesy and corny. So I personally, would have liked to see a clip that was as much about Lebron as it was Kobe and his obsession with analysis and breaking down tape which I know he loved to do since he was a kid.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

Fairly certain the cheese and 90s nostalgia were 100% intentional. I liked it and think these will likely get better as he goes along.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject:

The_Dynasty24 wrote:
Quote:

Link

Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty weak.

I got frustrated because the first 3 minutes of a 6 minute video was just about "crazy" cartoons and images without even attempting to say anything of substance. It was like watching a 30-minute sitcom where the first 15 minutes is wasted playing the theme song as wacky images play on the screen.

Then he just had a few generic comments about playing defense, but nothing that specifically related to Lebron. Really, you could have put any player's name in this video and it would have been just as ir/relevant.

If Kobe's name wasn't attached to it, hard to imagine any network using it. I was actually shocked how little substance it had. It was like watching some experiment where a high school kid was playing with a computer graphics program for the first time, but didn't really have an objective in mind.

And he really doesn't have the voice or speaking ability to be a narrator. He's OK when he's answering questions about topics he knows, but he can't read a script effectively.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject:

I heard the next one's gonna be about guarding Joe Ingles
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
he predicted that one tomahawk dunk LBJ had

Should have listened to Kobe, Andre...

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I loved and hated it.

Like his rap album =)

Or that one fashion shoot.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject:

I thought the video was amazing..guess I'm in the minority.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
I thought the video was amazing..guess I'm in the minority.

Definitely was better than what I was expecting.
KobeDGreatesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

I thought it was corny
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: