Camera help? Just bought a mirror less camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Camera help? Just bought a mirror less camera

I have absolutely no knowledge about cameras / photography.

Can anyone recommend me specific lens i should buy for the sony a6500? I plan to shoot videos with it primarily while i go on trips/vacation etc. Not too concerned with photos, but if there is a "All in one" lens that is great for both videos and photos, please let me know !

Thanks in advance
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I just use the old 18-55mm kit lens on my Sony. I think it takes great pictures/videos. You can get a used one for pretty cheap on ebay. Honestly, if you're like me and pretty much a noob with cameras, I don't think getting an expensive lens is worth it. It's like buying a really expensive guitar when you're just learning how to play.

Here are sample pictures people have taken with it.

https://pixelpeeper.com/lenses/?lens=13239
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I agree. 18-55mm is a great all-in-one focal length for beginners. 55mm doesn't give you a great reach but it's good enough particularly for portraits, and 18mm on a cropped sensor is wide enough for landscapes. You should go with that one first, and then expand later by purchasing some prime lenses.

I'm not familiar with how the recent Sony mirrorless cameras work, but I think they have in-body stabilization, so that's good for video and photos.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera help? Just bought a mirror less camera

15 wrote:

Can anyone recommend me specific lens i should buy for the sony a6500? I plan to shoot videos with it primarily while i go on trips/vacation etc. Not too concerned with photos, but if there is a "All in one" lens that is great for both videos and photos, please let me know !

Thanks in advance

Super jealous that you are only going to use such a magnificent camera for an occasional vacation.That's a hell of a camera to have for someone with no knowledge about cameras or photography. The camera body alone retails for $1400!
If your primary use is only to take video on vacations, you could have gotten a camera half as expensive and you never would have known the difference.

I think you should let me have it
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject:

50mm is the typical focal length for shooting what "you see", it is considered a normal viewing focal length.

Less that 50mm is considered wide angle. These are typically numbers like 35mm, 28mm, 16mm, or even lower numbers. With a wide angle lens you can shoot a wider angle than normal, with a 16mm can capture some beautiful landscapes, whole buildings, cars, etc. The problem is the wider you get more "bending" of the horizon. Too wide and you can can vignetting, where reality is clipped and things just look wrong and out of place.

A number greater than 50mm is considered a telephoto lens, these typically come in numbers such as 70mm, 90mm, 100mm, 120mm, 135mm, 180mm, 200mm, 400mm, 800mm, etc. With a telephoto lens you can get real close to what you are shooting.

A Zoom lens is one that states a minimum and maximum focal length, these are all over the place, but in the Canon line are typically like 16mm-35mm, 24mm-70mm, 24mm-105mm, 70mm-200mm. Zoom Lens are nice as they allow you to adjust what you are shooting, without having to move forward or backward.

The next thing to consider is the Aperture numbers, these are expressed as F1.2, F1.8, F2.0, F3.5, F5.6, F8.0, etc. Without getting overly technical: the lower the number the more light will be let in. Also typically the lower the number the bigger the Lens and the more expensive it is.

Typically, the cheaper (cost) the Lens the lower the quality of pictures it will take in comparison to a more expensive lens. Better Lens = Better Glass.

I did a quick look at B & H Photo and Sony makes a 16-70mm Lens that sells for about $1k, that should be a good walk-around or daily-use lens. It says it is the equivalent to a 24-105mm (35mm) lens.

A better lens is the Sony 24-70mm although it is double the price, but it features a F2.8 Aperture which will capture more light and more detail (thus better photos). If you wanted a Telephoto Lens, look for one that goes up at least to 200mm, Sony makes lots of different cameras with different "mounts", so make sure the lens's you get match your camera's mount type.

Here is a nice article that shows the differences in Focal Lengths:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/g3cu6o2o/understanding-focal-length.html

Hope that helps...!
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera help? Just bought a mirror less camera

dubaholic1 wrote:
15 wrote:

Thanks in advance

Super jealous that you are only going to use such a magnificent camera for an occasional vacation.That's a hell of a camera to have for someone with no knowledge about cameras or photography. The camera body alone retails for $1400!
If your primary use is only to take video on vacations, you could have gotten a camera half as expensive and you never would have known the difference.

I think you should let me have it

lol. i saw a great deal on the a6500 on slickdeals for $1400 with a $200gc and an sd card. so i just jumped on the deal.

i will also make vidoes for fun as well (as a hobby, not professionally) in addition to my vacations (only like twice a year).
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
50mm is the typical focal length for shooting what "you see", it is considered a normal viewing focal length.

Less that 50mm is considered wide angle. These are typically numbers like 35mm, 28mm, 16mm, or even lower numbers. With a wide angle lens you can shoot a wider angle than normal, with a 16mm can capture some beautiful landscapes, whole buildings, cars, etc. The problem is the wider you get more "bending" of the horizon. Too wide and you can can vignetting, where reality is clipped and things just look wrong and out of place.

A number greater than 50mm is considered a telephoto lens, these typically come in numbers such as 70mm, 90mm, 100mm, 120mm, 135mm, 180mm, 200mm, 400mm, 800mm, etc. With a telephoto lens you can get real close to what you are shooting.

A Zoom lens is one that states a minimum and maximum focal length, these are all over the place, but in the Canon line are typically like 16mm-35mm, 24mm-70mm, 24mm-105mm, 70mm-200mm. Zoom Lens are nice as they allow you to adjust what you are shooting, without having to move forward or backward.

The next thing to consider is the Aperture numbers, these are expressed as F1.2, F1.8, F2.0, F3.5, F5.6, F8.0, etc. Without getting overly technical: the lower the number the more light will be let in. Also typically the lower the number the bigger the Lens and the more expensive it is.

Typically, the cheaper (cost) the Lens the lower the quality of pictures it will take in comparison to a more expensive lens. Better Lens = Better Glass.

I did a quick look at B & H Photo and Sony makes a 16-70mm Lens that sells for about $1k, that should be a good walk-around or daily-use lens. It says it is the equivalent to a 24-105mm (35mm) lens.

A better lens is the Sony 24-70mm although it is double the price, but it features a F2.8 Aperture which will capture more light and more detail (thus better photos). If you wanted a Telephoto Lens, look for one that goes up at least to 200mm, Sony makes lots of different cameras with different "mounts", so make sure the lens's you get match your camera's mount type.

Here is a nice article that shows the differences in Focal Lengths:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/g3cu6o2o/understanding-focal-length.html

Hope that helps...!

thanks man that definately helped. i did some research and ended up going with a 24mm prime lens:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818647-REG/Sony_SEL24F18Z_SEL24F18Z_24_mm_f_1_8.html

i ended up buying from a japanese retailer on ebay so it came out to about $750 or so. went with the wide angle bc i plan to make some "selfie" style videos as well with my friends/family when i am on trips so i figured a wide angle would be best to caputre the whole scene etc....

i still think i will buy a zoom lens in the future as well so i can take some good pics from the 300s at staples
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: